How does your Senra look?

tako Absent

5 hours ago, rasterscan said:

Lets not lose sight of the fact these are starter avatars. Not free avatars to replace the 'famous' ones. Starter avatars, and they are pretty good compared to the old classics. imho.

They are starters but they are definitely not better than using a system av in all respects. They do in the feet and hands, and some of the areas obviously not as smooth on system avs, for sure. But system avs respond to all sliders. Even though it takes as much work to make a shape for them as it does these, system avs right now are way more customizable with many more options. With the right skin, clothes, shape, system avs aren't super horrendous either. I know, I've had one since I started until just this past week or so, lol. These are definitely better than some of the current mesh avs in the library though, I will agree on that.

They just need some work, and people willing to do something with them so newbies have somewhere to start. That's where we come in, I think. Just because they're starters doesn't mean we should make new people mad as soon as they get here, lol. Simplify the onboarding process and it will help a ton. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparkely Sugar said:

Senra Body with one of the free Lelutka heads versus Senra Jamie Head, what a difference if they had made a head even close to this. 66eae55d2f6b0d6f4d52b0d340b35369.pnge727c4e285d4904abbcf932c491f4df8.png

What a difference...

If Lelutka could come out with a 1000L basic head they'd have every Senra user on board.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

So did Senra Blake when I shaped him ! Every slider except one which I forget but it wasnt an important one !

I haven't tested the Blake yet, but Jamie absolutely does not respond to all sliders. The ears do almost nothing at all except size, and tip. Under torso muscles the arms can't actually be made to have much muscle at all even when set to 100 (and it does very little for the rest of the torso muscles). Love handles need to be turned way up to make it look like you have internal organs. Some of the face sliders do nothing, or so little it's not even negligible. There are several sliders that do pretty much nothing at all, or have a terrible effect when used with other sliders. The saddle bags for instance, mess up the hips and the butt, it's a bit convoluted to get them to not have a weird effect (but doable, if you know what you're doing). I don't want it to all sound critical, because I do think it's a really good first step. We can all put in lots of work to make it, work, lol, but newbies might not be able to. These are for newbies, simple is important. Maybe we can come up with shapes, skins and other things to help simplify it for them. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course. A shape that looks terrible to one person will look just fine to others. I'm not saying it's impossible to make good shapes. It's very possible and it will be a fun challenge to try. Some of the shapes others have come up with, I don't like, but I LOVE that people like the shapes they've come up with. That's one of the beautiful things about sl in general. 

Edited by Casidy Silvercloud
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Do you think SL starter avatars could look as good as IMVU starter avatars? 

@Persephone Emerald I don't know what IMVU avatars look like, so I googled IMVU Starter Avatar images

c63bf479da6f4a80b0c1947e44d719c8.png

and they reminded a lot of the 1970s big-eyed kids paintings by Margaret Keane...

02a60b6a8870119a2336086a2cef0dd7.png

This can't be what you mean !??   (I'm sure somehow this is google's fault?)

Edited by BJoyful
grammar
  • Haha 3

Here's another Blake for the thread.

Body, head, and clothing are all from the Blake folder;  skin, eyes, and hair are from elsewhere in my inventory.  The skin is actually from a place that has its own group of male mesh avatars and somewhere around 30+ skins all available for 1L each, so that made it pretty easy to find something to use since most of my current skins are for either a catwa or LeL head and wouldn't have worked right on this one.  

Blake.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Heres my try at Jamie, i love tinkering around with different mesh heads so the new starters were fun to mess with. Clothes and hair are from the Jamie folder, skin and eyes i made myself.

The skin uv is hard to work with especially the eye corners and lips (i just messed with it until something looked decent since i do not have the UV map), not to mention how high you need the eyebrows to be so when you blink they dont move. Sadly id say the rigging is below average, the sliders move very weirdly, the bushy eyebrows move the corners of your eyes, the hips seem badly shaped no matter what you do, and as others have pointed out the chin is extremely pointy.

All in all i think if you dont need something very niche you could make the avatar work for a new player but it definitely takes patience.

image.thumb.png.2321fb46c8471d8aee933ac8861fc845.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

got a 

14 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

Those older skins look way better than the new Senra skins.

Yer I did a search for 'skin' on mp today, filtered 0 to 10 L$. Checkout this freebie ! https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Jackob-Skin-FREE-Detailed-Classic-Skin/6649843

here it is on my senra ! Will be a big market for skins methinks. Such an easy upgrade, one double click in inv.

image.jpeg.8f0f08c2b7c08e5070f128f34fc32f50.jpeg

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

got a 

Yer I did a search for 'skin' on mp today, filtered 0 to 10 L$. Checkout this freebie ! https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Jackob-Skin-FREE-Detailed-Classic-Skin/6649843

here it is on my senra ! Will be a big market for skins methinks. Such an easy upgrade, one double click in inv.

image.jpeg.8f0f08c2b7c08e5070f128f34fc32f50.jpeg

That's the first skin I used with my younger male alt. Looks fine here. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sparkely Sugar said:

Senra Body with one of the free Lelutka heads versus Senra Jamie Head, what a difference if they had made a head even close to this. 66eae55d2f6b0d6f4d52b0d340b35369.pnge727c4e285d4904abbcf932c491f4df8.png

I'm guessing that's the Raven head? Love that one, I use it for a younger look. Maybe I should use that instead of a Ca'lum... 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I'm having fun with the web creation where new users can build their avatar, it can be found here:

https://join.secondlife.com/

webcreate.thumb.jpg.eb2f6b85dab1e9c57a5a073e14e274c7.jpg

The options for now are sort of limited, buuuuut.. I do really like the web interface and hope LL expands upon this for later usage, if we could eventually add more features that would be amazing.  Especially if we could use body sliders on the webpage, and perhaps eventually, add our own items to the UI

Out of this whole release, the one thing I will give an enthusiastic thumbs-up to is the web creation tool. It is so much like many other games/platforms where you create an avatar or character. I am sure this gateway into SL for new users will improve their experience. It's just too bad that the end product doesn't look any better.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Okay, using only the Senra Folder here is what I have come up with in about ten minutes as a novice, so be gentle with me 😜

Snapshot_753.thumb.jpg.a17e14f95338b8d520068120016f51a7.jpg

Snapshot_750.thumb.jpg.2ad85ba7344aae1ce85a7f99781f7283.jpg

Snapshot_755.thumb.jpg.6342377fc769fc35114f941bfde42296.jpg

I tried a smiler HUD, but it did not work.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 9

39 minutes ago, Trinity Blakewell said:

Out of this whole release, the one thing I will give an enthusiastic thumbs-up to is the web creation tool. It is so much like many other games/platforms where you create an avatar or character. I am sure this gateway into SL for new users will improve their experience. It's just too bad that the end product doesn't look any better.

This is what I have been asking for, for a while.  A web based interface with a 3D doll display of our avatars, showcasing various outfits as we click on them.  I hope that they work further on this, allowing us to add our own items, as well as to integrate it with the marketplace so that we can preview the items without needing to purchase a bunch of demos.  It would make the entire process so much easier for us all.  If they were to allow us to use various animations, it would only be all the better.

Hopefully with the new mobile viewer, they will expand upon this.  I would hazard a guess that they will, because changing outfits on a small phone screen is going to become a real chore if we use the inventory system alone.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Trinity Blakewell said:

I am sure this gateway into SL for new users will improve their experience. 

Googled ' Second Life' . The top hit took me to an sl page with an orange Join button. Clicking it took me straight to build ( senra )  avatar page. Now that's awesome. Kudos Linden Labs and you don't see me say that very often. https://join.secondlife.com/

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

What a difference...

If Lelutka could come out with a 1000L basic head they'd have every Senra user on board.

And I am willing to bet that any number of mesh head brands are already thinking about this. There could potentially be a big market for third-party stuff that works with the Senra bodies, as an interim step to replacing the whole body from head to toe. Give the users a migration path, toss some freebies or cheapies their way (as LeLutka has done so well these past three years!), and you could easily take some market share away from front-runners like the still-ubiquitous Maitreya Lara.

Also, there's definitely going to be a big market for skins for the Senra heads and bodies, especially for Blake, since the provided Blake skins have a smooth, unblemished, "pretty" look that I don't think most users will be satisfied with. I'm itching to try these bodies with some of the free male skins from Sweet's on the SL Marketplace, for example. And why on earth were there no facial hair options for Blake? That seems like an odd omission.

Question: has anybody tried the Senra Jamie mesh body with one of the better-known freebie heads available on the grid, like the Genus Strong or the Rebirth Kira? I may play around with it a bit myself this evening, just to test things out.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, rasterscan said:

So did Senra Blake when I shaped him ! Every slider except one which I forget but it wasnt an important one !

The only slider on the Blake body that didn't work for me was the crotch bulge.

I would argue that that is VERY important to some people 😜

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Like 4
  • Haha 6