How does your Senra look?

tako Absent

41 minutes ago, SabrinaCooke said:

I actually dug out my shoes-with-feet last week in anticipation of testing them on the Senras. Thanks for reminding me. :D

I am pretty darn sure I long ago deleted all of those horrid things.

I really do cringe at the thought of those making a come-back.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

This is the best I could do, digging up a really, really old Glam Affair skin. Honestly, the head is appalling, It is not very responsive to the sliders, the chin is so long even at 0 it is ridiculously long.  The body, this no heels option is just, I have no words, the breasts are too large no matter what I do with the sliders, if I make them small they are pancaked, and the arms are too skinny. The gigging on the pants is terrible I move and my leg pops out. I want to cry at how poor this represents SL, I really do. This is what avs were 10 years ago, this is not comparable to new MMOs with a character creator. She looks decent because I was able to find a skin that somewhat worked. New people will not be able to.

I understand LL needs to convert people into paying players as soon as possible, I don't think a starter av based on a look that is well over 10 years old is the way to do it. I am so very disappointed.

senra 1.jpg

senra 2.jpg

• Like 13
  • Sad 1

Having tried only the Blake body with LeLutka Alain head and my regular outfit its better than I expected not so muscly looking which i like. The trousers and shoes are standard size M from Kauna or a name similar and the shirt from Chuck Size is rigged to Belleza Jake wearing the Blake t-shirt alpha, there's no clipping. For comparison I had been using the Alantori David body and experienced some clipping from the same rig around the collar and rear arms.

CMalt_003_edited.jpg.66d3ab21566dff519d0a51e86d76c9ef.jpgCMalt_004_edited.jpg.8a06a05227bb34e5c1a909df3331dfc7.jpg

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Since it seems the question of "flat feet" will probably come up some more, it may be worth it for one of us to find Patch's quote - the reason given why there are only flat feet.

Found it!

As long as I can get a pair of chucks on them I am fine

• Like 3

I just wanted to note that folks here for the most part are taking one  part of the release and adding all their own "oldbie" items and yes, that looks pretty good if styled well. How many folks ONLY USED the items in the library (yes, I saw a few)?  THAT is pretty dire . 

The clothing designers that I talked to and the forum thread here did not sound like too many top creators are going to be working with this body (for many reasons) so once again it is what it is, but "interesting" anyway :D

• Like 5

I used a mix of Senra Jamie and Trixie, all from the library. I'm happy with the overall look, with some caveats:

- The shape doesn't respond to sliders in the way I would expect. Saddlebags lift the butt up? The head shape out of the box is looooooooooong.

- The nails don't cover up the nailbase properly. I wish they'd stuck to the classic SL UV map, and gotten rid of the mesh nails entirely. This would have ensured compatibility with lots of older content, while also leaving creators the option to make new mesh nails.

- The rigging isn't even close to the standard SL body. Which means nothing fits!

- The skins from Trixie's generation of default avatars are lovely... Can't say the same about Jamie's.

So I'm not sure this is as easy to use for newbies as SL intended. To get it to look decent from the get-go, you need a pretty good grasp of how to adjust shapes, and you need to know to look for other skins, hairs etc. in the library. On the other hand, I really like the overall naming convention, it's very well thought-out (aside from hair really being hairbases).

SenraJamieTrixie.thumb.jpg.ff79cd387483524d7cc837d809b3a9c7.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

How many folks ONLY USED the items in the library (yes, I saw a few)?  THAT is pretty dire

That's exactly why I only used things from the folder it came with. I wanted to see what new people or those just using these avs are really working with.  I can tell you, it's really not as much as it seems and it's definitely a bigger undertaking than new people will need, or want. 

It's not super horrendous, but I think it's only so because we know how to make shapes already. New people likely won't. Even if they have experience with other character creation in whatever games or things they play and do. They look goofy af if you don't make any alterations at all, lol. 

I know they've said they want them to be temporary solutions, and may not optimize them much further (or may, that seems to be up in the air, so I leave room for the possibility). Right out of the box, these will drive people away from sl faster than they will entice them. Cuz they look goofy af lol. They're pretty frustrating when you know what you're doing. If you don't know, I can't even imagine. There's no rhyme or reason to how the bodies respond to sliders, or don't. Kinda like with the arms and how even taking the torso muscles to 100 does almost nothing for them. No shape, or skin, will fix that. 

Tomorrow I'm going to mess about with mesh stuff, alphas and see what I can do. I'm sure I can put together some decent looking stuff. But, and it's a really big but, unlike mine, I know what I'm doing, lol. A good first step, no doubt at all, but it needs some work. I'm sure they already know that though. It has potential, and that's at least something. I plan to keep at it though. It's a fun challenge, frustrating or not. 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

Lets not lose sight of the fact these are starter avatars. Not free avatars to replace the 'famous' ones. Starter avatars, and they are pretty good compared to the old classics. imho.

I dont Agree with that. I think, like some others in this thread, they have to make them better to keep new users. I had higher expectations.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

Lets not lose sight of the fact these are starter avatars. Not free avatars to replace the 'famous' ones. Starter avatars, and they are pretty good compared to the old classics. imho.

Do you think SL starter avatars could look as good as IMVU starter avatars? 

• Like 5

I'm having fun with the web creation where new users can build their avatar, it can be found here:

https://join.secondlife.com/

webcreate.thumb.jpg.eb2f6b85dab1e9c57a5a073e14e274c7.jpg

The options for now are sort of limited, buuuuut.. I do really like the web interface and hope LL expands upon this for later usage, if we could eventually add more features that would be amazing.  Especially if we could use body sliders on the webpage, and perhaps eventually, add our own items to the UI

As is depicted in the above screenshot, here is what I have put together just using the web.  

download(1).png.16b9a3def07b67277f3d1333f2e08fa1.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, rasterscan said:

I actually like dog-bag lady and most of this generation of avatars. They have character and aside from not being mesh avs, are a good starting point. You can mix-and-match hair, skins, eyes etc. to get a look closer to what you want, and the face shapes are pretty good out of the box. I still use some bits of them on an alt.

But they're not mesh, and to teach newbies how to use a mesh avatar, I really see where Jamie and Blake will come in handy. I just wish they looked a bit more like the previous gen, especially in terms of skins!

ETA: the web interface looks neat!

Edited by Raindrop Drinkwater
  • Like 6

Here's my take on Blake. I tweaked the Blake shape 1 a bit, threw on an old Lure skin and Argrace hair.  The old system shirts from the Duran Duran sim held up pretty well.

GregAsBlake01.thumb.jpg.bac84558946eb3e916b9097a7ed7f50c.jpg

GregAsBlake02.thumb.jpg.b88f3b29cface164fb9155923a715bd5.jpg

7 hours ago, SabrinaCooke said:

I had to alpha the toenails, which also alphaed out the fingernails, so that was fun. /s

If you want to alpha out the toenails, edit or create a new universal layer and apply the transparent texture to Aux2 box.

If you want to alpha out the fingernails, apply the transparent texture to Aux3 box.

You can also change nail polish this way by swapping out your texture of choice; Aux3 for fingernails, Aux2 for toenails. You can choose to have the same color for both hands and feet or different combinations between them.

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Here's my take on Blake. I tweaked the Blake shape 1 a bit, threw on an old Lure skin and Argrace hair.  The old system shirts from the Duran Duran sim held up pretty well.

GregAsBlake01.thumb.jpg.bac84558946eb3e916b9097a7ed7f50c.jpg

GregAsBlake02.thumb.jpg.b88f3b29cface164fb9155923a715bd5.jpg

If you want to alpha out the toenails, edit or create a new universal layer and apply the transparent texture to Aux2 box.

If you want to alpha out the fingernails, apply the transparent texture to Aux3 box.

You can also change nail polish this way by swapping out your texture of choice; Aux3 for fingernails, Aux2 for toenails. You can choose to have the same color for both hands and feet or different combinations between them.

Yes, I had a friend try that for me last night. Seems I couldn't edit/select the nails because my net keeps crapping out (last two typhoons messed up the fiber cable). Good to know for later, though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I'm glad there's a newbie-friendly way of fixing the nails. 🤪

• Like 3
  • Haha 6