Do you all think that Second Life is less sociable now than before?

Guku Aabye

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I used to chat with bots in malls, until one day the owner of a store made one ask me if I was ever going to buy anything. XD

We recently had a surge in membership, like over the past couple of years. Once the casuals and bored/boring types get tired of it and go back to Facebook, the ones who are left will probably be a lot like the rest of us, and all will be well.

As long as the rest of us don't fall to pieces in the meantime. Stay strong! Stay sociable! Remember, it's what WE make of it, so keep influencing your personal space with a friendly, outgoing energy and it will help. We gotta cultivate these rhubarbs!

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, PheebyKatz said:

I used to chat with bots in malls, until one day the owner of a store made one ask me if I was ever going to buy anything. XD

We recently had a surge in membership, like over the past couple of years. Once the casuals and bored/boring types get tired of it and go back to Facebook, the ones who are left will probably be a lot like the rest of us, and all will be well.

As long as the rest of us don't fall to pieces in the meantime. Stay strong! Stay sociable! Remember, it's what WE make of it, so keep influencing your personal space with a friendly, outgoing energy and it will help. We gotta cultivate these rhubarbs!

I do agree with you stating, “It’s what we make it”. It’s my opinion second life is as good as we make it. Although there may be some bad apples in the bunch, does not mean eating that apple pie is going to be a bad experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Secondlife is definitively not friendly for me

I open my account many years ago. When I started playing again, I had to relearn all. I didn't find anybody who helpt me. I think people assume that I am old then I know all.

The most difficult part is not technical part (how to create an avatar) but social. When you talk to people the ratio of answer tend to decrease. (When I start talking with 10 people how many answer I have ).

And when you got an answer, I try to make sentences with verbs etc... and I receive one word. like good or hi or ok

If I don't ask question and say something (not a question) I have no interaction. Usualy I try to make a conversation with the minimum of question. Because I think questions can be aggressives.

I also notice that if I don't start a conversation I don't talk to anybody

What is your ratio of you start a conversation and somebody else. For me it should be 9.5/10

Having conversation is not having a friend. For me friend is someone who talk with you, and help you and have fun with you.

I understand that some people is not in front of keyboard but for me they don't play. when I am online I am 100% online. I don't let my avatar and go away. I don't like that for other I usualy don't do that. I think it is rude.

I notice that the 'presence' varie.

an other idicator I invent is how long I wait. if it is 5 seconds it is normal but sometime sI wait many minutes to get answer.

Then my friendly indicator is :

- time to wait an answer

- answer ration

- who start conversation. More it is you more it is not friendly (9.5/10 for me)

But it is fun to make this statistics. I will update them and tell you the new metrics. What are your indicators to measure friendlyness ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

With SL I have the feeling, that I've seen it all, been there, done that.
The first few years I had many friends and contacts in SL, but one after another called it a day and never logged in again, and I never really bothered to make new ones. The still active persons on my friends list can be counted easily with one hand. And there is nobody else to blame but me, myself and I that it happened.
I seldom go out to explore or to an event.
One can't expect people to knock on your door.
I use 99% of my SL time business related, although I will not run away if someone starts a chat.

If there are more people in SL with a similar story as I have, than yes, SL has become a bit less Sociable over the years.
And that there are less real noobs these days doesn't help either I guess. Long term people tend get settled within their own groups of friends IMHO.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/22/2022 at 9:05 PM, Robberinthemuseum said:

I think chat channels are a great idea. But then, why do that in sl at all? You can chat in discord while you explore anyway

I tried Discord. Most confusing chat software I've ever seen in more than 20 years. I never did find any interesting channels. They all seem to be RP or a bunch of drama llamas. No thank you.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 9:30 AM, PheebyKatz said:

This reminds me of one of my favourite SL moments.

Many years ago I had a club.

I installed a "bot" which was connected to an AI system online.

You could walk up to the "bot" and have a conversation with it.

I remember being there one day, out of view, and the only other person in the area engaged the "bot" in a conversation. They conversed in local so I was aware of everything being said.

They moved through a range of subjects then started discussing things like does reality exist.

The guy had no idea he was talking to this AI backed creature.

And let me tell you, the conversation those two had was FAR more impressive than most of the conversations you would hear in a club in SL.

So, if you are bored and want a friend, I recommend finding one of these AI enhanced chat bots and you will have an amazing, intelligent conversation.

🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

if you go to SL it is for talking with real people not with a bot. Talking with a bot makes me always so unhappy and angry. I stopt always. Because he never understand me. He always makes me upset. I don't know if that word exists. Last time it was with my bank but when I reread what I said.  I think the best think would be to stop. Because I had a specific question and the bot answer general information.  grrrr I hate bot

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been is SL for too long lol and it has changed drastically... most not all populated clubs have bots and nobody talks but cliques Back in the day EVERYONE spoke in local. You couldnt even keep up with chat. People were friendlier.. more friend oriented now everything is about hooking up. I dont even answer IMs anymore. If i goto a club I try to dance away from males because if you land next to them they are in your ims hitting on you. I miss old school clubs so much! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, DeeVious Dagger said:

I have been is SL for too long lol and it has changed drastically... most not all populated clubs have bots and nobody talks but cliques Back in the day EVERYONE spoke in local. You couldnt even keep up with chat. People were friendlier.. more friend oriented now everything is about hooking up. I dont even answer IMs anymore. If i goto a club I try to dance away from males because if you land next to them they are in your ims hitting on you. I miss old school clubs so much! 

I so feel this!!! I too miss the old days/clubs. I feel as if people seem to mostly keep to themselves now.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Maybe if we're forced to go inworld to be social, SL will be become more sociable again?

THIS. Yes. I sure hope so, anyway.

Of course, some people should probably still just lurk and not say anything, but yeah~!

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Maybe if we're forced to go inworld to be social, SL will be become more sociable again?

22 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

THIS. Yes. I sure hope so, anyway.

Of course, some people should probably still just lurk and not say anything, but yeah~!

Maybe, but where will you find this many people, from different time zones and different areas of the world all inworld in the same place?  You won't.  The forums are a unique gathering place of experiences, thoughts and ideas.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Maybe, but where will you find this many people, from different time zones and different areas of the world all inworld in the same place?  You won't.  The forums are a unique gathering place of experiences, thoughts and ideas.

We have such a place with The Forum Cartel . This group already contains many of our SL forum regulars. They have an inworld club location, but we can also chat in the group (assuming SL Groups would work, which is a big assumption). I'm kind of leaning toward the idea of the inworld group location looking more like a coffee shop, but that's just me not liking the SL dance club vibe.  lol.  YMMV.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

We have such a place with The Forum Cartel . This group already contains many of our SL forum regulars. They have an inworld club location, but we can also chat in the group (assuming SL Groups would work, which is a big assumption). I'm kind of leaning toward the idea of the inworld group location looking more like a coffee shop, but that's just me not liking the SL dance club vibe.  lol.  YMMV.

I've been a member for years, but all the different time zones mean it is difficult to gather at the same time for discussion and debate.  My computer isn't portable, but my phone is.  We're right back to having to converse in real time which doesn't really work.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I've been a member for years, but all the different time zones mean it is difficult to gather at the same time for discussion and debate.  My computer isn't portable, but my phone is.  We're right back to having to converse in real time which doesn't really work.

Good points, but gods I hate to have to move to a forum outside of SL in order to talk about SL. It's bad enough that the inworld Groups are broken. If we can't have naturally-flowing, open discussions here on the SL Forum, I'm going to be so sad.  😞 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1

It looks more and more to me that what people need to do is stop overthinking it and just make it happen. Communication is not the easiest thing for most people, and organizing is even worse usually, but I see so many people here who are of the same opinion on it and want the same things, I mean, look, it's all right in front of everyone, you've got everything you need, and that's [i]people who want the same things[/i].

And ah, that's what the Forum Cartel thingy is, neato! I might have to look into that sometime, i mean, I love the people on the forums, and it'd be neat to hang out with them.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

It looks more and more to me that what people need to do is stop overthinking it and just make it happen. Communication is not the easiest thing for most people, and organizing is even worse usually, but I see so many people here who are of the same opinion on it and want the same things, I mean, look, it's all right in front of everyone, you've got everything you need, and that's [i]people who want the same things[/i].

And ah, that's what the Forum Cartel thingy is, neato! I might have to look into that sometime, i mean, I love the people on the forums, and it'd be neat to hang out with them.

A few people have been trying to get things going again.  We are a varied and far apart group of people.  Finding times to meet is difficult.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

It looks more and more to me that what people need to do is stop overthinking it and just make it happen.

Pretty much this. Once I set foot on a racetrack I found my "thing" in SL. I still hike, boat and hang out at beaches etc.
But just dive in, you might find your "tribe". 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

It looks more and more to me that what people need to do is stop overthinking it and just make it happen.

For those most upset, these forums are a key element in the social aspect of their Second Life. 

Anything analogous to the community here is something Second Life itself does remarkably poorly in world and always has. The powers that be don't use SL socially and as such, we are never going to see an expansion of what exists in world now, group chats, meetings, the odd dance .. it's not even nearly comparable.

There is also the point that old school forums are a dying internet breed.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

For those most upset, these forums are a key element in the social aspect of their Second Life. 

Anything analogous to the community here is something Second Life itself does remarkably poorly in world and always has. The powers that be don't use SL socially and as such, we are never going to see an expansion of what exists in world now, group chats, meetings, the odd dance .. it's not even nearly comparable.

How many threads are you going to post in about your opinion of the moderating of the forum?

On 7/30/2022 at 3:57 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

I just wandered into this old thread and know I'm replying late to your comment, but ↑ this. Sigh. Yes.

I've only been back a week, and it has been bad timing, and I came back looking for "that thing we had, without the personal troll I had" and... basically been in denial that it isn't here any more. Even if we got everyone clumped together at the Cartel inworld, very unlikely but if, it would still not be the same kind of thing as "here" (and by "here" I am primarily talking about the GDF).

It had drastically changed two years ago, when I stopped posting her, but it is even more so now, with or without the new rules.

Sigh. Again, your whole post here is spot on, succinct and...  :::mopes:::

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.