Do you all think that Second Life is less sociable now than before?

Guku Aabye

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Guku Aabye said:

But do you see the socializing coming back little by little like it was back in the day in Second Life?

I can't really speak on that since I socialize the same as I did when I started in 2009.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guku Aabye said:

But do your friends on your friends list still message you when you log in?

Yep, but I only have 3 that log in out 7 people on my list.  Even the few that I don't see often will message me when they DO log in just to say Hi and they're still alive.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Walelu Summerwind said:

I dont think that SL is less sociable.. I know I am. I used to hang out a lot and chat on skype.. lots of friends, but, for the past few years I usually build and take pictures. I'm not bored .. just very focused 😎

I see. 

Yes. People were once far nicer to each other. Right now it is very hard to find the same welcoming spirit in people. 

Seems everyone is on edge and the smallest thing triggers them and unnecessary arguments happen as well as just people being awful to one another. 

SL is not a friendly place

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Marius Darkheart said:

Yes. People were once far nicer to each other. Right now it is very hard to find the same welcoming spirit in people. 

Seems everyone is on edge and the smallest thing triggers them and unnecessary arguments happen as well as just people being awful to one another. 

SL is not a friendly place

The few people that are decent make Second Life worth it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/20/2022 at 1:31 AM, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

The World Map is bigger now than it was in 2003. There are more regions now than there were in 2003. There are more people now than there were in 2003.

Where are the people?  They're everywhere. They're dispersed wider in a less concentrated area now than they were in 2003.

If you ever look at the green dots ...  you find 2 dots here, 2-3 dots there ...  and only a few places where there are a group of dots.

Speckled population lol

• Like 2

You mean like when you go to a club or something, and tell someone they look nice just to be shot in the face with a F-off LOL....  Yea people are just peachy...  

I tend to just block them once they say something like that.  No reason to even see them if they are that negative.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jade Morningstar said:

You mean like when you go to a club or something, and tell someone they look nice just to be shot in the face with a F-off LOL....  Yea people are just peachy...  

I tend to just block them once they say something like that.  No reason to even see them if they are that negative.

Yeah, some people in Second Life can be mean. 

I ventured off my home sim to see a friend at a coffeeshop. The first words I saw were in regards to there suddenly being too many people there. Place was over half empty.

I proceeded to converse with my friend, a sister, and a nice man who was polite and knew them both.

Then I see someone has decided to chime in about adding something nasty about me, personally, to their profile. Way to show you're better than a little person who builds cities for people like you to explore. What a friendly welcome to someone who hadn't even spoken a word to or about them.

I'm not antisocial, I just hate going to otherwise lovely places that are cacked on by people who contribute nothing to our world but crass garbagey poop, and wonder if maybe something happened to all those places they used to hang out and torment newbies instead of people who are actively building a nice SL for them to sit around and spit on.

Worst of all is when it's people who've been inworld for 16 years and should know better.

I greet people every single day. I offer help, landmarks, free things, and even a chance at friendship to nearly every single person I meet, or even dots I see and don't already know the names attached to. It's just that after several years of seeing the same old pooey behavior in return for my enthusiasm and cheerfulness, I'm more likely to block an entire place full of people so I can sit and enjoy a pixel coffee with a friend than I am to bother trying to fix people who are only in SL because it tolerates the kind of folks who would be handed their own posterior anywhere else in this world, and who probably have nowhere else left to go.

Edited by PheebyKatz
I forgot a word.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

I ventured off my home sim to see a friend at a coffeeshop. The first words I saw were in regards to there suddenly being too many people there. Place was over half empty.

I proceeded to converse with my friend, a sister, and a nice man who was polite and knew them both.

Then I see someone has decided to chime in about adding something nasty about me, personally, to their profile. Way to show you're better than a little person who builds cities for people like you to explore. What a friendly welcome to someone who hadn't even spoken a word to or about them.

I'm not antisocial, I just hate going to otherwise lovely places that are cacked on by people who contribute nothing to our world but crass garbagey poop, and wonder if maybe something happened to all those places they used to hang out and torment newbies instead of people who are actively building a nice SL for them to sit around and spit on.

Worst of all is when it's people who've been inworld for 16 years and should know better.

I greet people every single day. I offer help, landmarks, free things, and even a chance at friendship to nearly every single person I meet, or even dots I see and don't already know the names attached to. It's just that after several years of seeing the same old pooey behavior in return for my enthusiasm and cheerfulness, I'm more likely to block an entire place full of people so I can sit and enjoy a pixel coffee with a friend than I am to bother trying to fix people who are only in SL because it tolerates the kind of folks who would be handed their own posterior anywhere else in this world, and who probably have nowhere else to go.

I know some people can be really mean to this day in Second Life. I know it isn't right for anyone to treat anyone bad in Second Life. But people do and it is sad when they do that. I mean yeah, I can go to different sims and explore there. But what if I like the sim I am on and I like talking with people there?  

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Guku Aabye said:

I know some people can be really mean to this day in Second Life. I know it isn't right for anyone to treat anyone bad in Second Life. But people do and it is sad when they do that. I mean yeah, I can go to different sims and explore there. But what if I like the sim I am on and I like talking with people there?  

Block 'em. If they get in the way of your goodness in SL, just block 'em. all they'll see is that you poofed.

Then when they realize youre still there and people are enjoying talking to you, and theyre the only one who's left out, feel good knowing they did it to themselves, and that maybe it'll help them learn to be a better person. And if it doesn't, well, it's not your fault. You tried.

It's your SL, you deserve to enjoy it.

6 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

Block 'em. If they get in the way of your goodness in SL, just block 'em. all they'll see is that you poofed.

Then when they realize youre still there and people are enjoying talking to you, and theyre the only one who's left out, feel good knowing they did it to themselves, and that maybe it'll help them learn to be a better person. And if it doesn't, well, it's not your fault. You tried.

I agree. 

1 hour ago, PheebyKatz said:

Oh, I do put them on mute if they are really mean

The only time I hesitate to block anyone is on my home sim, because then I can't see if they're doing anything bad on the sim. I'm the local security brat, so I kinda need to be able to see people.

If I'm at home, and I HAVE to block someone, at least they usually get a nice permanent ban to go with it. Nobody there lets anyone treat me badly and get away with it. On rare occasions when I simply cannot stand someone but they haven't done anything banworthy, I just avoid them, or when they see me, they leave. Either way it's fine by me.

I recently unblocked all 58 people on my list. After over 6 years, maybe some of them deserve a second chance. So far I haven't been bothered by any of them. Maybe they learned their lessons the first time. The moment one of them is gross or pooey at me tho... bloop~! I'll block 'em again.

Addendum: Of course, some of them will never bother me again because they've been kicked out of SL. Not only are the Lindens real, they actually do look at ARs and things, and despite having a lot to deal with all the time, they really do try their best. Consider what it must be like for them.

Herding cats is hard enough when you don't have thousands of them with alts and stuff, stampeding all around and treating the world like a sandbox, or worse.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

The only time I hesitate to block anyone is on my home sim, because then I can't see if they're doing anything bad on the sim. I'm the local security brat, so I kinda need to be able to see people.

If I'm at home, and I HAVE to block someone, at least they usually get a nice permanent ban to go with it. Nobody there lets anyone treat me badly and get away with it. On rare occasions when I simply cannot stand someone but they haven't done anything banworthy, I just avoid them, or when they see me, they leave. Either way it's fine by me.

I recently unblocked all 58 people on my list. After over 6 years, maybe some of them deserve a second chance. So far I haven't been bothered by any of them. Maybe they learned their lessons the first time. The moment one of them is gross or pooey at me tho... bloop~! I'll block 'em again.

Addendum: Of course, some of them will never bother me again because they've been kicked out of SL. Not only are the Lindens real, they actually do look at ARs and things, and despite having a lot to deal with all the time, they really do try their best. Consider what it must be like for them.

Herding cats is hard enough when you don't have thousands of them with alts and stuff, stampeding all around and treating the world like a sandbox, or worse.

I agree with what you're saying here. But to unmute all the people you had muted. I am not too sure on that. Because for me I still see some of the people I have muted at places I go and visit sometimes. Even though I have no idea why they were muted in the first place when I don't have any chat history on the one's I have muted when I see them. Some I do have chat history. 

Yeah, I know how that is. It's an experiment, kinda. I'm wondering how many will appear again, and if they're still the same as they were.

My old account, there's no way I'd unblock those, even in an attempt to redeem my sense of being social and fair.

And my very first account, I just deleted the whole thing, because there's no way I'd want any of those people to know it's me over here, lol.

"Mistakes were made". XD

15 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

Yeah, I know how that is. It's an experiment, kinda. I'm wondering how many will appear again, and if they're still the same as they were.

My old account, there's no way I'd unblock those, even in an attempt to redeem my sense of being social and fair.

And my very first account, I just deleted the whole thing, because there's no way I'd want any of those people to know it's me over here, lol.

"Mistakes were made". XD

The thing is some people that are toxic don't want to change anything about themselves. Some people want to stay toxic in Second Life and it is sad that they are like that. But then there are some people that are not toxic in Second Life. 

18 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

And this is why I spend so much time with my Crayolas. They're certified non-toxic. ^-^

Well for me I need to be around people. I mean true you can be around items you have but then you can't socialize with anyone. I do hope how Second Life use to be for socializing comes back. And I do believe it's coming back slowly 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.