Do you all think that Second Life is less sociable now than before?

Guku Aabye

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 8/12/2022 at 4:20 PM, Seicher Rae said:

Guku, I know you've voiced this several times, that "it is coming back" or will come back. I'm curious, what makes you say that? How have you seen things change?

If you've answered this before, apologies, I haven't read through the entire thread.

Well, for one a lot of old avatars are coming back I been seeing in Second Life. So that should help to make the socializing come back. I heard there were less people in Second Life now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/12/2022 at 10:20 PM, Seicher Rae said:

Guku, I know you've voiced this several times, that "it is coming back" or will come back. I'm curious, what makes you say that? How have you seen things change?

If you've answered this before, apologies, I haven't read through the entire thread.

I asked this earlier, and basically it all comes down to......

image.thumb.png.ce58e065b3d198390e83e09ceaceb9c5.png

• Like 3

I am definitely an "oldbie" at 15 years, but I admittedly spent about 5 years or so away before coming back about a year ago. I do think that it is less sociable. I'm definitely an introvert but I feel like even in clubs and things no one is really that talkative. Maybe I'm just going to the wrong places lol but it's been difficult to find new friends since most of mine are just names that never log in these days. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Zombina Gunawan said:

I am definitely an "oldbie" at 15 years, but I admittedly spent about 5 years or so away before coming back about a year ago. I do think that it is less sociable. I'm definitely an introvert but I feel like even in clubs and things no one is really that talkative. Maybe I'm just going to the wrong places lol but it's been difficult to find new friends since most of mine are just names that never log in these days. 

I just blogged about Blackhearts Cafe, you might like it there. Check it out.

• Like 3

On 8/7/2022 at 5:24 PM, Katherine Heartsong said:

Not sure how "less social" it is since I only dabbled years back and was never here long, but judging from the 20+ avatars that just stand around the fringe at some of the EDM places (Exhale) not moving at all during the busy times, with no one near them, I'll go with less social. Looks like a giant AFK place sometimes.

I think this is the problem, too many people AFK. Looks like a giant AFK place MOST OF THE TIME. I think Linden Labs should fix this by teleporting AFK people to a cornfield and getting them out of a busy sim. It's absurd to waste resources in a busy sim on AFK avatars that detract from the social experience.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

I think this is the problem, too many people AFK. Looks like a giant AFK place MOST OF THE TIME. I think Linden Labs should fix this by teleporting AFK people to a cornfield and getting them out of a busy sim. It's absurd to waste resources in a busy sim on AFK avatars that detract from the social experience.

How do you know or better...how would LL know if someone is AFK. I got to a lot of clubs and dance and listen to music and just look at the screen and don't touch my mouse or keyboard.  Also, how do you know they are AFK. Maybe they just don't want to talk.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

But that's just it .. most people in SL aren't AFK.

They just aren't chatting in local / jumping in your IMs.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

If that were the only way to get to the cornfield or any other "hidden" sim, then most of us would end up there, and probably end up having more of a social life. For that reason your suggestion gets a team point from me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/14/2022 at 7:30 AM, Guku Aabye said:

Well, for one a lot of old avatars are coming back I been seeing in Second Life. So that should help to make the socializing come back. I heard there were less people in Second Life now. 

I don't believe there are less people in Second Life now. There might be one or two fewer bots (but I'm still finding those too). Log in screen usually displays a healthy number. Right now it's ... 

online.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

But that's just it .. most people in SL aren't AFK.

They just aren't chatting in local / jumping in your IMs.

Agree with this. Venues with lots of people standing around, and nobody chatting in local does not mean that everyone is AFK. They are talking in IM. I see people come into these places though and say "Oh, everyone is AFK", because nobody is using local chat, while I am chatting to 4 different people there in IM. It's up to the individual to make an effort to be social and not expect other people to do it.

I'll often leave venues where there is a lot of chat in local, because the chat tends to be dominated by annoying, attention seeking people. Some people like that sort of thing though.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

What if you IM and get an auto response that says the avatar has activated busy mode? That happens a lot at busy sims.

They're screening their calls.   A lot of people do that.  You IM, they check your avatar and profile and decide whether to respond or not.  Any busy response I've ever received was answered pretty quickly although it rarely happens at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Stephanie Lovely said:

Agree with this. Venues with lots of people standing around, and nobody chatting in local does not mean that everyone is AFK. They are talking in IM. I see people come into these places though and say "Oh, everyone is AFK", because nobody is using local chat, while I am chatting to 4 different people there in IM. It's up to the individual to make an effort to be social and not expect other people to do it.

I'll often leave venues where there is a lot of chat in local, because the chat tends to be dominated by annoying, attention seeking people. Some people like that sort of thing though.

My local tends to get very cluttered. It's very frustrating. I usually talk to people in IM, or create a group conversation. The major exception is a discussion group.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2022 at 3:56 PM, Zombina Gunawan said:

I agree with you. Second Life just doesn't seem like it used to be when I started Second Life. I mean you add people to your friends list and then you message them the next day asking if they want to hang out, they either don't respond or they say they are busy. Not always but a lot of the times. I know when I started Second Life and added friends on my friends list. I would have messages when I logged in and asking me if I wanted to hang out. Now it just seems it's not like that anymore in Second Life. I mean you do once in a while hang out with someone. But not like it was.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Stephanie Lovely said:

I do message people and I do get a response sometimes. Not always but sometimes. I do think some are AFK. Because I have talked with people that do Real Life things around their house while leaving their avatar sitting there. That's what they tell me when they come back from AFK. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

They're screening their calls.   A lot of people do that.  You IM, they check your avatar and profile and decide whether to respond or not.  Any busy response I've ever received was answered pretty quickly although it rarely happens at all.

Well, some do respond back to me when they are on busy mode. Not always but most when they come back from busy mode. Because some people on my friends list have their avatar's set on busy mode sometimes. Or if I see the person that wasn't on my friends list somewhere at a place, I'll message them again and they respond. So maybe some do check the person's avatar and maybe they check mine as well. I am not sure on that one. 

• Haha 1

Second Life has always been a mixed bag of sociable and anti-social people, and also very cliquish. There does seem to be less people on the grid now than there used to be back in the day, so maybe the fewer number of people around makes it feel less social. But even years ago there still tons of "get off my lawn" types that either put up no entry barriers making exploring random places a hassle while flying around, or using security system eject balls to orbit you 10 sims away and crash your client. So even then just as it is now, there wasn't a huge friendliness factor unless you simply parked your avatar at the same spot day after day and got to know the regulars.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Izdzan Enoch said:

Second Life has always been a mixed bag of sociable and anti-social people, and also very cliquish. There does seem to be less people on the grid now than there used to be back in the day, so maybe the fewer number of people around makes it feel less social. But even years ago there still tons of "get off my lawn" types that either put up no entry barriers making exploring random places a hassle while flying around, or using security system eject balls to orbit you 10 sims away and crash your client. So even then just as it is now, there wasn't a huge friendliness factor unless you simply parked your avatar at the same spot day after day and got to know the regulars.

I'm not sure SL has less people daily, I think the grid got bigger. Avatars want what they want, to own their own sim and they are now hard to fill. Linden Lab owned sims and not private owned would make things less BIG and spread out and more avatars would end up in the same places.

14 minutes ago, colleen Criss said:

I'm not sure SL has less people daily, I think the grid got bigger.

That may be the case. I'm just going off my own perception after returning from a nearly decade-long hiatus. Compared to back then, almost everyplace seems deserted compared to what it was. Perhaps I just need to catch myself up on what the popular destinations are now. 

Edited by Izdzan Enoch
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.