Can I Impersonate Myself in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, everyone.

So, I love the idea of having a clone or an identical twin sister; 

I'm thinking of creating an alt with an avatar that looks like me, and have her on at the same time as me in separate viewer instances (or alone) just for fun. 

For practical reasons, I would give her a different name to me, but I was wondering, in addition to making her look virtually indistinguishable, can I give my alt the same name as my main? Same display name and a username that's similar enough that people may not tell the difference? Will I get in trouble for this if I ever have issues I need to sort out with Linden Labs? This would bring the number of accounts per household to 3. 

I think I would want to give her a few key "personality" and subtle physical differences over time. 

Can I, on occasion, use my alt who looks exactly like me, has the same name and maybe even the same profile details to interact with people and make them think it's me, for giggles? Is this allowed? Clearly someone else can't take your name, profile details and likeness and pretend it's you, but can I do this with myself? Am I impersonating another user if I make them believe one account is actually another, even if they belong to the same individual? (me)

Obviously the age of the account would give it away, but I'm expecting not every single person will notice straight away. 

Nothing too serious, I hope. It's all in the name of fun. I'm just wondering what's possible. 

Edited by LottaSinclair
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, LottaSinclair said:

Hello, everyone.

So, I like the idea of having a clone or an identical twin sister; 

I'm thinking of creating an alt with an avatar that looks like me, and have her on at the same time as me in separate viewer instances (or alone) just for fun. 

For practical reasons, I would give her a different name to me, but I was wondering, in addition to making her look virtually indistinguishable, can I give my alt the same name as my main? Same display name and a username that's similar enough that people may not tell the difference? 

Can I use my alt who looks exactly like me, has the same name and maybe even the same profile details to interact with people and make them think it's me, for giggles? Is this allowed? Clearly someone else can't take your name, profile details and likeness and pretend it's you, but can I do this with myself? Am I impersonating another user if I make them believe one account is actually another, even if they belong to the same individual? (me)

Nothing too serious, I hope. It's all in the name of fun. I'm just wondering what's possible. 

I've actually seen people do this.  You can't have the same user name, of course but you can have the same display name.  Anyone with any sense could figure it out though.

• Like 1

Thank you both for your swift replies; 

20 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I've actually seen people do this.  You can't have the same user name, of course but you can have the same display name.  Anyone with any sense could figure it out though.

So obviously I can't have the exact same username, but can I have a username that's so similar you may not be able to tell the difference, perhaps at first glance? Can I do the classic trick of substituting the letters in my name with others that look almost the same? For example, can I change the lowercase L in my name to an uppercase I and give that name to my alt? Is this too sneaky and deceptive to not get me into any kind of real trouble? Or do I need to add an extra letter, number or two somewhere to make that distinction that it's a separate account and personality?

Edited by LottaSinclair

17 minutes ago, LottaSinclair said:

So obviously I can't have the exact same username, but can I have a username that's so similar you may not be able to tell the difference, perhaps at first glance?

L0ttaSinclair. LottaSincIair. LottaSincliar? 

I guess the o being changed for a 0 might not work with the default fonts most people use in SL. The capital I rather than an l might work. But, I put it to you that just swapping the places of the a and i make for a fun twist ('cause, 'liar'!). 

Considering how 4/5 hosts greet me as either 'Orwan' or 'Onwar', I don't think people will generally notice.

As for whether you'll get in trouble .. I mean if you AR yourself for impersonating yourself, maybe? It's no one else's business, really, as long as you don't use it fraudulently. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I guess the o being changed for a 0 might not work with the default fonts most people use in SL. The capital I rather than an l might work. But, I put it to you that just swapping the places of the a and i make for a fun twist ('cause, 'liar'!). 

Considering how 4/5 hosts greet me as either 'Orwan' or 'Onwar', I don't think people will generally notice.

As for whether you'll get in trouble .. I mean if you AR yourself for impersonating yourself, maybe? It's no one else's business, really, as long as you don't use it fraudulently. 

My username in-world appears as "lottasinclair" in all lowercase letters. So I could perhaps substitute one of the Ls. But if I can't do that then I could put in an extra letter like an s, to make "lottassinclair". Or add a number to the end of my name. Failing that, I would have to give an entirely different name altogether. 

I'm obviously not going to AR myself for impersonating me, but I'm thinking someone else could AR my alt (or my main) for impersonating me and I could get into trouble that way, even if technically I gave my consent to my alt account to "impersonate" me... because it actually IS me. 

Edited by LottaSinclair

Fun IS the name of the game.
I have two alts I originally made for 2 of my RL sisters. (I actually have 3 RL sisters).
It took more than 8 months to get us all the same last name. (10 years ago).
My sisters had a little try of SL but did not persist with it as I am the most creative of us
in terms of computer graphics etc.
So now they are just fashion models and I also use them if I make little dance videos or whatever.
Occasionally I will have one of them attend a dance event with me.
Sometimes I will rezz us all and be in my skybox all at the same time.
All purely for personal fun and definitely not to deceive anyone or play mind games with others.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, LottaSinclair said:

Will I get in trouble for this if I ever have issues I need to sort out with Linden Labs? This would bring the number of accounts per household to 3. 

*slides 10 alts created for RP under the bed*

image.jpeg.74bf72ef69fb4bb5d1d9901fd2e797f2.jpeg

But seriously - if you're not up to anything nefarious or using it to harass people, go ahead and be you.. twice! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LottaSinclair said:

My username in-world appears as "lottasinclair" in all lowercase letters. So I could perhaps substitute one of the Ls. But if I can't do that then I could put in an extra letter like an s, to make "lottassinclair". Or add a number to the end of my name. Failing that, I would have to give an entirely different name altogether. 

I'm obviously not going to AR myself for impersonating me, but I'm thinking someone else could AR my alt (or my main) for impersonating me and I could get into trouble that way, even if technically I gave my consent to my alt account to "impersonate" me... because it actually IS me. 

lottsasinclair

lotsasinclair

lotasinclair

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

I think LottaSincliar was brilliant. I heard that our brain "fill out" the rest of the word when they recognize it. So if you have a change in the end, means people have already seen it as "Sinclair". I had to look twice to see what was changed in the name.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

And not one single Oral? 😲

No, I usually insist they buy me dinner first.

3 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

lottsasinclair

lotsasinclair

lotasinclair

Not sure why that made me think you were playing Bloody Mary. 

• Haha 2

I have an alt that looks exactly like my main acct name.  I made it before someone else did, and tried to impersonate me.  I have to change the tag name so most can tell the difference.  It also uses the same mesh head and body and hair.  For some reason though it looks younger than me.  Must be those tight fitting system jeans.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

10 hours ago, LottaSinclair said:

Hello, everyone.

So, I love the idea of having a clone or an identical twin sister; 

That’s so cool I’m tempted to try this too

When I made my first alt, I did just that to start off. My first av had the same initials, but the names were different. I bought the same skin and hair, made the shape with the exact same specs and bought a lot of the same clothes. 

But Kali didn't feel like Katt.  We had different AOs.  And I thought of her as being younger and more carefree than the original.  I made different choices.  Sometimes, on purpose, I would choose to do something that my first impulse would be to do the opposite.

I came to think of my alt as a therapeutic tool for me to explore different facets of my self. 

• Like 5

I have an alt with a name very close to my own, created years ago when I needed a body double for a magic show. We did a lot of the standard mirror tricks that way and closed with a pretty cool juggling act, tossing balls to each other.  I wish I could remember how I did that now. 

18 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

But seriously - if you're not up to anything nefarious...

...peers over her glasses at you, shifts to a glare, then shoves a flaming tennis ball into the bell of your saxophone.

18 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

But seriously - if you're not ... using it to harass people, go ahead and be you.. twice! 😄

Yes!

Lotta, If you strive for the fun of a doppleganger to be experienced by others, and derive your enjoyment from theirs, it'll all be good. I love to laugh with people, not at them.

Here I am with my conscience, Snugs. We're under the watchful eye of a gift (a portrait of Pope Innocent X) from a dear friend who imagined that's how my conscience should look...

206106662_SnugsandMaddy.jpg.cf6603266712116d0fc7d6202254847e.jpg

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

...peers over her glasses at you, shifts to a glare, then shoves a flaming tennis ball into the bell of your saxophone.

Yes!

Lotta, If you strive for the fun of a doppleganger to be experienced by others, and derive your enjoyment from theirs, it'll all be good. I love to laugh with people, not at them.

Here I am with my conscience, Snugs. We're under the watchful eye of a gift (a portrait of Pope Innocent X) from someone who imagined that's how my conscience should look...

206106662_SnugsandMaddy.jpg.cf6603266712116d0fc7d6202254847e.jpg

At least you have [a] conscience. I'm not so sure about [some] others. 

Look peoples! Our very own Hedy Lamarr! 😊

Sins of Madeleine

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.