Not nice

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 884 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i can't imagine people get nicer when they pay for premium.

I pay for premium. Didn't make me nice. See! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

6 hours ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Is why this forum should be ... choose

Premium only

that is all

Sure .. the forums are already running low on members , practically crawling so lets restrict them even more ti keep then nice and tidy for the remainng 10-20 people. (btw most devs aren't Premiums, you 'd have to visit their websites for help)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I pay for premium. Didn't make me nice. See! 

I beg to differ. You're one of the nicest vampire, kinkster, hobbyist photographer, introvert, sardonicist, optimistic nihilist, atheistic satanist, history buff, foodie, misanthrope, dog person I met :D

• Haha 7

From what I've seen the only difference between posts by free members as opposed to those made by premium members is a slight increase in their sense of self-entitlement.

Free account: This is what I want, give it to me now!

Premium account: This is what I want, I paid you money so I demand you give it to me now!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Aiyumei said:

You're one of the nicest vampire, kinkster, hobbyist photographer, introvert, sardonicist, optimistic nihilist, atheistic satanist, history buff, foodie, misanthrope, dog person I met :D

Shh, don't tell anyone! I have a reputation to maintain. ^_^

• Haha 3

Posts from brand new members should not be restricted, its the only way they can get help. I'd like to see their first few (maybe 10) posts vetted by a mod before becoming visible, but only if they could be vetted and made visible within an hour, regardless of the time of day/day of the week. Any more than an hour and people are not getting the urgent help they may need with an in-world problem. And with the level of staffing here, that wouldn't be possible.

The only thing that disappoints me about this forum is how one or two people are allowed to be so disruptive and still not get banned. It's not even the new ones that are the problem. It's ones that have been here a while, know better and are doing it on purpose. I have those people muted so I don't see what they write but clearly not everyone does because they get plenty of replies.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

The only thing that disappoints me about this forum is how one or two people are allowed to be so disruptive and still not get banned. 

Actually I think that particular person might already have been banned from posting (or at least suspended). No posts from them since Wednesday.

• Like 4

Trolls only come for one thing: Attention.
As long as the other members give that to them, they will continue and worsen their behavior until a moderator finally pulls the plug.

If everybody would use the scroll wheel on the mouse to ignore their posts, they would leave quickly.
But that is hard. In the end, we all want to win the Internet, right?

Internet_Ticket.jpg

• Like 7

Correct or not I base my, (possibly terse), reply on a few things:
Tone & style of what is written.
Non english based, specific native language text patterns/indicators.
(if displayed/similarities of written expression to *others)
Immediate absence of known trolls at the time of post appearing.
Individual user post count.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

Can you stop doing stuff when I'm asleep? What did I miss?

Honestly nothing very much at all this time. Two posts by one new poster that was quite offensive (racist, sweary)  - ALL TYPED IN CAPITAL LETTERS!!!!! - but knocked out within five minutes. 

Edited by Marigold Devin

The OP doesn't even give a reason for wanting the forums to be exclusive.  And it's the weekend.  Hmmm.... Shocked clipart 20 free Cliparts | Download images on ...

Making the trolls pay a premium, while it might eliminate the ones of limited resources, would not stop them. But it would seriously hinder new people (who might later become premium) from getting the help they need to become a long time resident.

There are many rich elitists a-holes. Why should we use money as the criteria to exclude people?

• Like 5

I once moderated a technical forum that had some interesting tools to allow "self moderation". I wouldn't be surprised if this forum software has such tools. Here's how we set up that technical forum...

New posters were "on probation", and could have their posts removed upon receiving some threshold level of abuse reports for the post. They could also be automatically blocked from posting if they exceeded another threshold for total abuse reports. This allowed spam to be removed immediately by forum members, and for abusive posters to be sidelined until a moderator came online to sort through the evidence.

There was little incentive to abuse the abuse reporting system because all abuse reports were seen my moderators. Posts that had been removed or new posters who'd been blocked could be brought back if a moderator determined that the forum members had been overzealous in their reporting. During the year or so I was on the moderation team for that forum, this cooperative approach worked very well.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I once moderated a technical forum that had some interesting tools to allow "self moderation". I wouldn't be surprised if this forum software has such tools. Here's how we set up that technical forum...

New posters were "on probation", and could have their posts removed upon receiving some threshold level of abuse reports for the post. They could also be automatically blocked from posting if they exceeded another threshold for total abuse reports. This allowed spam to be removed immediately by forum members, and for abusive posters to be sidelined until a moderator came online to sort through the evidence.

There was little incentive to abuse the abuse reporting system because all abuse reports were seen my moderators. Posts that had been removed or new posters who'd been blocked could be brought back if a moderator determined that the forum members had been overzealous in their reporting. During the year or so I was on the moderation team for that forum, this cooperative approach worked very well.

In general, I like community-based moderation a lot. It is, of course, prone to abuse, but this approach seems to mitigate that possibility.

The biggest downside, which applies mostly to smaller communities, is the possibility of moderation becoming a mechanism to protect and reinforce coteries and cliques, but if there is some oversight by mods who are at some distance from that, maybe that's less of an issue?

Then again, this forum isn't really an open community, is it? It is, in theory if not always in practice, a tool wielded by a corporation in the service of its profit-making product. Kudos to LL for the fact that this is very seldom evident here: criticism of SL abounds and even flourishes! But I'm still not sure that LL would see an upside to handing the reins over to us as completely as this.

2 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

The OP doesn't even give a reason for wanting the forums to be exclusive.  And it's the weekend.  Hmmm....

For what it's worth, the OP is an old-timer, specializing in brief hit and run raids that are characterized mostly by a deep vein of "sardonic" and "cynical."

Not a troll. Just very very grumpy.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 884 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.