New theme is Revealed!.....Newbrooke...

Evangeline Arcadia
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Chris Nova said:

If youre going to be living in a house, why does anyone need a LOD of 4? How far away do you plan on camming while sitting in your livingroom?

As I understand it from several explanations provided by LL and the LDPW Moles in both these forums and elsewhere,  the Quality Assurance protocols to which the Mole content creators have to work specify that large objects like buildings and trees should, in fact, remain visible from the distances you'd reasonably expect them to be visible in First Life too, and not collapse from 10 or 15 metres away.

The Moles are building and landscaping whole regions for people to visit and explore, and this means things have to look good from a large variety of angles and distances.   They need to consider rather more than simply the view from inside an individual house.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris Nova said:

If youre going to be living in a house, why does anyone need a LOD of 4? How far away do you plan on camming while sitting in your livingroom?

I'm not talking about the inside, I doubt very much ANYONE would enjoy seeing their neighborhood looking like a war zone or a half built construction site every time they walk out of their houses............unless you think the outsides of the houses will somehow magically escape the results of that kind of optimization, that could be an interesting look, yeah that's a look. People whine about color on here but I'm sure they won't mind that they are seeing triangles instead of their neighbor 4 doors down, there goes all those stunning photos........

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

As I understand it from several explanations provided by LL and the LDPW Moles in both these forums and elsewhere,  the Quality Assurance protocols to which the Mole content creators have to work specify that large objects like buildings and trees should, in fact, remain visible from the distances you'd reasonably expect them to be visible in First Life too, and not collapse from 10 or 15 metres away.

The Moles are building and landscaping whole regions for people to visit and explore, and this means things have to look good from a large variety of angles and distances.   They need to consider rather more than simply the view from inside an individual house.

that too

47 minutes ago, Virtue Demina said:

Yes, this is what "Modern" means.  During the "Modern" period science fiction really took off.  These are "Modern" homes, not "contemporary" homes.

Modern is not contemporary -- it has a real specific placement in time and architecture of the recent past.  These Linden homes did a GREAT job representing a part of that architectural movement, in my opinion.

They give to imagining the future without necessarily being futuristic.  They are the homes of the people who imagined the Jetsons without, themselves, being the Jetsons.

Ray Bradbury being my favourite favourite favourite, I am really looking forward to having that house.

Me too, I think that one is my favorite I love all those doors going out to the patio.

• Like 1

• Moles
2 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

No acknowledgement or thanks for spotting and reporting this flaw has been given to me (yet) by the Moles or Lindens. Ahem... cough, cough... 

As we keep pointing out, these still are all unfinished models... works in progress to give a general idea of what the final product will look like. That particular one was an older version model. We were already well aware of that gap and it had already been addressed and fixed. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Yet you displayed that earlier version with the gap initially anyway and hoped nobody would see it? C'mon....

Since you...

"...have absolutely no desire to become a mere statistic and a convienient wallet for LL, to be packaged within a cookie-cutter sprawl of residential container boxes, with all their rules, restrictions and uninventiveness, all dressed in an embarrasingly America-centric veneer that resembles a Stepford Wives style gated community of obedience and compliance."

...why do you care?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Elyeah said:

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. Can't remember who said that but its clearly true. 😂

that would be John Lydgate of Bury, England, 15th century, monk and poet.

.. there's another one also commonly used.

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time."

0edd53dd2110147b786329c2e24fb1d0.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Abnor Mole said:

As we keep pointing out, these still are all unfinished models... works in progress to give a general idea of what the final product will look like. That particular one was an older version model. We were already well aware of that gap and it had already been addressed and fixed. 

I understand what you are saying, but....

I am not sure it is a good idea to put out that unfinished of a display for the "reveal".  Perhaps for future reveals it would be good to have something more closely resembling the look/feel of the houses/neighborhoods.

I think that collectively as SL premium members, we cant really visualize the end product from that "crude" of a model as well as you and the other moles can.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

No acknowledgement or thanks for spotting and reporting this flaw has been given to me (yet) by the Moles or Lindens. Ahem... cough, cough... 

Oh geez.  Really ?!?!  Getting your panties in a twist because someone did not personally respond with "Yeah, we already knew about it and are fixing it".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

This all reminds me of something. When my father was designing the house I grew up in he showed the blueprints to my mother. She said, "I don't like it." He said, "Okay, let me try something else." He went back and came back with another house but had drawn in mullions, a nice detailed door, some curtain's hanging in the windows, added some shading, shingles to the roof, light fixtures, etc. She took one look and said, "Oh! Now, that I like!" It was the exact same design. True story.

As someone who has bought multiple run down foreclosures and fixed them up to live in, I so understand this. The house could be, in its original form, nothing that I much care for. However, with some changes here, some paint there, it blossoms into something that I love. I liked the original reveal, but the second one is out of this world fantabulous.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

LH - Newbrooke_001.png

Before ^ (photo by @Jolly Nova, 7th December 2021)

After v (9th December 2021) Found it!!

743496109_LH9Dec2021.png.5d6e2bad46baaee24fb3bc225c36df1a.png

Additions

More trees, more walls, more colour variations, photo displays and a landing zone area. But the structure of the houses are unchanged, except for one....

Improvements

A gaping two to three metre long horizontal hole or crack in the exterior wall of all the two storey Heaton homes has magically vanished since I reported it to the Moles on the initial reveal day with this photographic evidence.

1294207243_Heatonhousegap.thumb.jpg.cb2883fca1b3ee7e5b55468e4e7c7fe1.jpg

Windows

The windows are still all the full length floor to ceiling kind. No change and no sinks directly behind kitchen or bathroom windows....

Chimneys

None. But Santa uses Amazon, apparently... 😜

The before was so lovely. :(

• Like 5

We already have colorful, old style, warm & fun places in Bellisseria.

Retro lovers got houseboats and Victorians (with colors, bunch of colors!)
Fantasy lovers got fantasy homes
surfers, boaters & beach lovers got stilt & houseboats
Cabin lovers got beautiful cabins & chalets in the forest!

^ A lot options already play with big variation of colors and houses.

Modern ones have nothing, and in that style just includes clean look with natural neutral colors.
I know always can't please everyone, but why always please then same ones?

It was so promising it was going to be modern, till it shaped just to be something else...

image4.jpg.68b90f99b3cd5371757e1e6f8077d50d.jpg2cebe9ea9c69695eaf9c7624a1b12811.jpg.daa94d527e45a5c1a636c24fe45e07fd.jpg

Still wishing there will be someone to hear me and tell these color palettes will be plaid with before release... 😟

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Even if the homes were to be released only with what some insist are the only "authentic" colors, you know someone is going to make an add-on where you can paint your house any color you please. I've seen some really frightening multi-color day glo hot mess paint jobs in the Vics, for example. It's happened for every theme so far, so I don't see why this should be any different.

The people who want bright pink houses are gonna have them, one way or the other, and that's why god made derender a thing. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

We, as a group overall, seem to get a bit more demanding with each Theme.  I am sometimes as guilty of that as the next person.  Patch and the Moles gave us a very much appreciated upgrade to the Linden Homes, which also resulted in a fabulous new community.  When the Traditionals and Houseboats first rolled out, there were minimal complaints --- at least compared to all of the excitement. Many of us did do some critiquing of the homes, but it seemed to be less demanding than it is these days, more of an "I wish" instead of an "I want" or "I expected" -- and yes, this definitely is just my opinion and may be warped by time.

As the Moles were able to blow some of us away with each new Theme, especially the landscaping around the homes, our wants continued to expand.  We heard that we'd get a total of 10-12 Themes and so we seemed to become more sure that we would ultimately get what each of us wanted, though we all know that that really isn't possible.  Thus, when a new Theme was released and it didn't satisfy our every desire, our posts about wishes more & more started sounding like demands - likely giving Patch and the Moles the impression that we were mostly a bunch of ungrateful children.  

I know that isn't what we are really meaning to do, and as I said, my view is quite likely warped by the fact that it has been almost 3 years since we first got Bellisseria and made our initial comments on it.

While I do have my very minor concerns over one or two things with the new Theme, I do want to explicitly state that I am very grateful for this entire Bellisseria project.  As much as we might complain - some more than others - Bellisseria really did give SL a whole new life for many of us.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

Many thanks to Patch & the Moles for respinning the demo region!  It was clearly a lot of work, judging by the quantity of beer cans scattered around.  It helps a lot to see the final textures and enhanced landscaping.  The choice of container homes took me completely by surprise, so I've had to live with it a little.  I've come to really love the fences, which surprises me.

I'm no artist, but to my eyes the exterior concrete texture is GORGEOUS.  I think it's baked with a little shadow on edges?  I know just tinting a baked texture sometimes doesn't work so well, but even so I hope that the Content packs will include a baked version for tinting, because I'd like to play with colorblock.  The houseboats didn't include baked versions of their interior textures, and it just drove me (and others) insane.

vignette_001.jpg.fa32b85f500e11ba85b255082dbc7f14.jpg

But I have to say I find the traditional interiors jarring.

I appreciate the simple window/door moldings, and I wonder if there will be a metallic texture for them. I see that the cornice moldings have been flattened so they're not completely traditional, but frankly I find them superfluous, and the ceilings are not superhigh so they are always in view.  I wish there were an option to hide them.  You can almost disappear them by choosing a white ceiling and white trim, but then I assume all the trim turns white.

And I'm sorry, but I just cringe when I look at these staircases.  Wooden stairs, wood banisters with a newel post??  The only way I can see to stop the cringe would be to encase the whole banister with a concrete wall, erg.  I know it's too late, way too late to change them, but I do think this design choice will confine my home options to single-story. Which is a pity, that 2-decker 512 home is really nice.

1557693136_newelpost_001.jpg.1026ffdeba8a2753cb8fd95037d414b7.jpg

And, lastly, I wish the houseboats offered this beautiful blue exterior!

blue_001.jpg.594492377b6fe5540304ed983d19973a.jpg

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We pay to be ungrateful children... in addition to the Premium fee, I buy lindens for 80 us every month.

I agree that it was much more excitement about the first themes, but some was very verbal about hos small the Traditionals were. Someone attached beds and sofas to their body and went inside just to show that it was room for furniture. The houseboats was always popular, so I can't remember much complaints about them. I think that was a direct result of how we had to pay so much to live next to sail-able water, and here it was included, for every houseboat. It was pure luxury.

I am almost ashamed to think about how I talked about never leaving "my" home. It was going to be forever. Things change, and we assume to get more.

Then jealousy began to creep in because the campers go so great landscaping. Why could we not have 1024 m homes in the gorgeous landscape?

Some pointed out all the faults in Victorians and how they were not real Victorians. I do not remember why, I thought they looked Victorian enough. But if one know an architectural period well, it is always easy to find faults. It was only small ponds and no big lakes.

What was wrong with the log cabins? Cloned regions took over. This land was raised over SL water, so it wasn't possible to have a waterway through. And lots of exterior details was wrong here too, said people.

The Chalets was called many ugly things, mostly that they were American versions and wasn't really chalets. The demo region got a lot of comments about how flat and boring it was.

What was wrong with the stilt houses? Some did not like the landscaping, some didn't like this or that. But sail-able water is still a luxury in SL, so they were slipping past the critique easier.

The Fantasy homes, some said finally, some said it is more to fantasy that elves. They didnt get their fantasy. And here, there was the surprising complaint that the houses were too big. They should be small cottages, many said. The wish for bigger houses from the Traditionals was heard, but many found them too big. I am keeping my Alderley, they said. An Alderley would fit a small fantasy cottage so much better.

We can truly say that the honeymoon period was over before this release. And it is right as LittleMe say, the demands are rising.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It must be sad for the moles, to hear so much negative things said about their work. But LL does not want all to live in Bellisseria, but go out and buy land and add monthly tier to their Premium, or rent and pay rent to landlords who pay tier to LL. It is important money. To have only a Premium home, is not giving LL more income than the Premium fee. I am sure LL will not compete with the best house builders on purpose. They want us to leave Bellisseria, and rent or buy more land, and pay for a house. Keeping the economy flowing. Keeping the landlords in SL. Keeping the house and landscape creators in SL.

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

It must be sad for the moles, to hear so much negative things said about their work. But LL does not want all to live in Bellisseria, but go out and buy land and add monthly tier to their Premium, or rent and pay rent to landlords who pay tier to LL. It is important money. To have only a Premium home, is not giving LL more income than the Premium fee. I am sure LL will not compete with the best house builders on purpose. They want us to leave Bellisseria, and rent or buy more land, and pay for a house. Keeping the economy flowing. Keeping the landlords in SL. Keeping the house and landscape creators in SL.

This is a good reminder. Patch has said many times that these are meant to be "starter homes". The idea is for people to want more, but to want it elsewhere, whether on Mainland or on a private estate. "Fly from the nest, little birds, and then you can make your modern houses look exactly like you want them to look!"

• Like 9

I was surprised to see when I looked at "container houses" on net, that no one has the vertical ribs of bricks. I do not know where that came from. So it is someones personal idea about how they should look.

And based upon the very traditional furniture the only decorated house has, it is understandable that they wanted the traditional style inside. Not modern.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

The idea is for people to want more, but to want it elsewhere, whether on Mainland or on a private estate.

Yet we all know what the state of mainland is and private estates can be extremely expensive. Some of us are also value oriented and as long as we're paying for it you're gonna face some criticism.

12 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

This is a good reminder. Patch has said many times that these are meant to be "starter homes".

Isn't it funny how they call these "starter homes" although they are mostly used by avatars that have been in SL 5-10-15 years...  (*and those sound more like "retired")

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.