New theme is Revealed!.....Newbrooke...

Evangeline Arcadia
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I agree with many about the small and large houses. I prefer smaller houses on larger plots to have more open space outside. I don't understand why we can't put small houses in bigger spaces and with more prims. since to decorate the exterior you also need to occupy a large part of prims. The new revelation has not impressed me but it has not disappointed me either. I think that everything is solved with a little imagination and I think that these houses lend themselves very well for that. the problem is that we return to the same ... few prims in the small plots that would leave my ideas only in my imagination.

• Like 5

I am mostly just concerned with where the modern homes will be located and will they add to SL navigable waters?  

Really interesting observations on the role of the Linden homes.   It seems sensible that they are intended as starter homes.  But I do think they are intended to keep people in SL and paying the premium fee.  That has got to be gold for LL.  If he persons to get smitten by SL and venture off onto larger parcels and private islands then so much the better.  If they just keep paying the annual fee, that is good too.  

For my part, I think the more people coming into SL he better.  If the Linen home work at keeping people in SL then good.  I think it remains to be seen if Linden homes hurt the mainland or private estates.  

In so far as this project has connected the continents and added a lot of navigable water, it has made SL more attractive.   

• Like 10

On 12/9/2021 at 2:34 AM, Chris Nova said:

Honestly, I don't know why so many people think modern = living in a square block. That whole thing looks like a mess of jail cells and I LOVE modern living. This is not modern living. That is a jail cell community. Demolish it, google actual modern living, and use that as a reference which is what should have been done the first time.

Sadly this is modern in my home town in real life. :/ 

Wellgate_Place___apartments__wider_view_.png

Edited by Marigold Devin
no wonder I've moved back into Second Life permanently
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Sadly this is modern in my home town in real life. :/ 

Wellgate_Place___apartments__wider_view_.png

It could be much worse. The text to this image, translated: "A friend of mine said about the rebuild MAX-building on Tempe, that he did not understand why Sauron got the responsibility of the building color and visual expression."

Yes indeed... modern architects in real life can make me cry, and they often do. We shall be grateful that Sauron is not a Mole.

IMG_2401.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/9/2021 at 1:37 PM, Nika Talaj said:

Many thanks to Patch & the Moles for respinning the demo region!  It was clearly a lot of work, judging by the quantity of beer cans scattered around.  It helps a lot to see the final textures and enhanced landscaping.  The choice of container homes took me completely by surprise, so I've had to live with it a little.  I've come to really love the fences, which surprises me.

I'm no artist, but to my eyes the exterior concrete texture is GORGEOUS.  I think it's baked with a little shadow on edges?  I know just tinting a baked texture sometimes doesn't work so well, but even so I hope that the Content packs will include a baked version for tinting, because I'd like to play with colorblock.  The houseboats didn't include baked versions of their interior textures, and it just drove me (and others) insane.

vignette_001.jpg.fa32b85f500e11ba85b255082dbc7f14.jpg

But I have to say I find the traditional interiors jarring.

I appreciate the simple window/door moldings, and I wonder if there will be a metallic texture for them. I see that the cornice moldings have been flattened so they're not completely traditional, but frankly I find them superfluous, and the ceilings are not superhigh so they are always in view.  I wish there were an option to hide them.  You can almost disappear them by choosing a white ceiling and white trim, but then I assume all the trim turns white.

And I'm sorry, but I just cringe when I look at these staircases.  Wooden stairs, wood banisters with a newel post??  The only way I can see to stop the cringe would be to encase the whole banister with a concrete wall, erg.  I know it's too late, way too late to change them, but I do think this design choice will confine my home options to single-story. Which is a pity, that 2-decker 512 home is really nice.

1557693136_newelpost_001.jpg.1026ffdeba8a2753cb8fd95037d414b7.jpg

And, lastly, I wish the houseboats offered this beautiful blue exterior!

blue_001.jpg.594492377b6fe5540304ed983d19973a.jpg

Well, encasing things in concrete is what SL is all about. Half the Mainland consists of giant parking lots and warehouses now.

In my old Loftroom, I encased these hideous sculpty hedges in The Journey, Sculptural Table (gold/teal) by lucas lameth.

That's 10 prims I burned to lose those hedges or at least contain them; I ended up not putting it completely solid so it looks like it's a specimen case or something.

So you might need 2 prims on those New England staircases unchanged since the Washington Administration, w/e.

BTW, flexing up my "cold dead hands" which will be pried off this puppy named: "The Last Stand: The Palm At the End of the Mind" -- when the Lindens delete this area.

Stop by before that happens, it's an art gallery with fortunes and gifts.

It's near the Dinosaur mound in Cape Etkind, which is an old Linden Quest, and this sort of turtle in Libani which I hope they keep as "historical builds".

Hypatia Underwater landscape_011.jpg

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/9/2021 at 2:41 PM, Nick0678 said:

Isn't it funny how they call these "starter homes" although they are mostly used by avatars that have been in SL 5-10-15 years...  (*and those sound more like "retired")

giphy.gif

My friend Cocoanut Koala calls them "Linden Assisted Living". 

BTW, I wish one of the styles wasn't called "Coniston," which is the name of a famous Mainland sim where there was a themed rentals community with Bellisseria put out of business.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So, I've finally visited the display region, and find the 1024 houses all a bit big for my preferences.

Of the 512, Ender is my favourite, the perfect size and layout for me but I do wish the tall window at the foot of the stairs was actually a door because, with the house running almost the full width of the middle of the parcel, you pretty much lose access to half your garden otherwise. A door instead of a window here would make so much more sense for the way the house sits on the parcel.

Unless, the house can be rotated, maybe?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teresa Firelight said:

In a way I am relieved that this theme does not appeal to me. I already have too many homes (all of which I love) and have to prune down a bit as my annual renewals start coming up in Jan and Feb.  A painful process as it is, so glad that I dont have to add another home I hate to give up to the mix.

I was thinking just the same about the Chalets and the Fantasy homes. No interests in new styles makes it easy to take alts of Premium.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, anyamarei Oconnell said:

So, I've finally visited the display region, and find the 1024 houses all a bit big for my preferences.

Of the 512, Ender is my favourite, the perfect size and layout for me but I do wish the tall window at the foot of the stairs was actually a door because, with the house running almost the full width of the middle of the parcel, you pretty much lose access to half your garden otherwise. A door instead of a window here would make so much more sense for the way the house sits on the parcel.

Unless, the house can be rotated, maybe?

I have not seen rotating as an option. But Patch has said several times that they are a work in progress. And you are not the first one to suggest a door there. So maybe you will be happily surprised when they are released. Maybe.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I have not seen rotating as an option. But Patch has said several times that they are a work in progress. And you are not the first one to suggest a door there. So maybe you will be happily surprised when they are released. Maybe.

If I recall correctly (and I might not, brain is getting flakey around the edges these days!), rotation was an option in the Campers and in one of the log-homes. Who knows, maybe they'll consider it for this one too.

I will *hope* for a happy surprise, but won't be devastated if it doesn't happen!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, eboni Tempest said:

how do you change the old version to the newer one?

They haven't been released yet.  It could be a few more weeks since the new theme is a "work in progress." I am sure this thread will go wild when they appear on the land page.  When they are available, just choose the new theme and you'll get a random one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eboni Tempest said:

how do you change the old version to the newer one?

3 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

They haven't been released yet.  It could be a few more weeks since the new theme is a "work in progress." I am sure this thread will go wild when they appear on the land page.  When they are available, just choose the new theme and you'll get a random one.

Of course if you already have the older one when the day comes to get the new one you first need to abandon the old one using the "About Land" page on your land.  Once you abandon an old Linden Home at that time you can pick up a new Bellisseria Home from the homes page on the website.  There are other themes that have been released for some time now but yes i would say if your heart is set on the modern theme of Newbrooke then wait a few weeks i'm sure as Patch Linden always says... They will be ready "soon"

• Like 4

I am getting more and more excited about trying out the Newbrooke theme, partly because I can imagine so many interesting things to do with them.  And, I figure, if I can come up ideas, the folks with actual mesh skills will be hard at work too!  I will be interested to see the final landscaping (I am finding that my love for the Fantasy theme is at least 60% love of the gorgeous landscape design in Fantisseria.)

Edited by Leora Greenwood
just a doofus
  • Like 4

I noticed both Coniston bungalow homes are locked however anyone on Firestorm or another viewer that can do this, cam inside either property and type tp2cam in local chat If you want to get inside and look around. I think if I were to go for the new theme that's the home I'd go for as the other 1024 properties are too big for my liking.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I noticed both Coniston bungalow homes are locked however anyone on Firestorm or another viewer that can do this, cam inside either property and type tp2cam in local chat If you want to get inside and look around. I think if I were to go for the new theme that's the home I'd go for as the other 1024 properties are too big for my liking.

The preview has been open a long time now, open the doors @Abnor Mole?

Coniston is so tucked away. I bet not many notice it. But it is a good house yes. Two of the rooms with doors are of a good size, but the third is tiny. Big walls of windows and doors out in the main room, but also doors out in the adjactent room that would be a wonderful bedroom.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

Yes, I asked for these to be unlocked back on the 9th of December. While it is possible to TP inside these houses, some of the internal doors are also closed making it difficult to see how the rooms flow. 

Edited by Frigga Freidman
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 3:40 AM, Frigga Freidman said:

@Abnor MoleBoth the Conistons I've found have closed front and interior doors - could they please be opened? Thanks!

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Linden Reveal/226/93/22

and

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Linden Reveal/193/32/22

@Abnor Mole There have now been subsequent requests - any chance of this before the Reveal disappears?

Edited by Frigga Freidman
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.