Helping Hand Thread (Advice and Help Corner!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I want this thread to be a sort of  "helping Hand" kind of thread. Any sort of advice you have, whether it be big or small, feel free to post it here! And if you need help with anything, ask away here!

Rules are as Follows:

• Remain respectful of one another
  • Keep it on topic
  • If there is an existing Topic/Thread you feel would help the person in question, feel free to share it!
  • Don't belittle anyone for lack of know how. There is no such thing as a stupid question here!
  • Keep the language moderate rated and vulgar language to a minimum.
  • If screenshots or GIF's are shared when trying to help, make sure all of your avatar's naughty bits are either detached or covered.

I'll post my bits of advice in the comments and I encourage you to do the same! ❤️

Edited by IvyLarae
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

• Ivy Mysterious changed the title to Helping Hand Thread (Advice and Help Corner!)
36 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

I want this thread to be a sort of  "helping Hand" kind of thread. Any sort of advice you have, whether it be big or small, feel free to post it here! And if you need help with anything, ask away here!

Rules are as Follows:

• Remain respectful of one another
  • Keep it on topic
  • If there is an existing Topic/Thread you feel would help the person in question, feel free to share it!
  • Don't belittle anyone for lack of know how. There is no such thing as a stupid question here!
  • Keep the language moderate rated and vulgar language to a minimum.
  • If screenshots or GIF's are shared when trying to help, make sure all of your avatar's naughty bits are either detached or covered.

I'll post my bits of advice in the comments and I encourage you to do the same! ❤️

why pollute the GD with this? We have a Answer/Question forum, and for Avatar issues,  Your Avatar.

Setting rules... is a bit odd, we have the guidlines already.

• Like 3

Nice idea, @IvyLarae! I'm continually learning helpful things here. It's not a terrible idea to have them in one place.

My helpful hint:

I set my "Recent" tab (only) in my inventory permanently to 90 days using the filters in Firestorm. I find it useful in all sorts of ways: it reminds of things I've bought recently, and of items I have yet to unpack or categorize properly. It reminds me of recent outfits I've made, so that I'm not continually wearing the same old thing. When I've been working on something, it reminds me of my progress on it. It prompts me, via HUDs, LMs, and notecards, to remember events or commitments in-world I've made. And so on. It's just a super easy and efficient memory aid.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Nice idea, @IvyLarae! I'm continually learning helpful things here. It's not a terrible idea to have them in one place.

My helpful hint:

I set my "Recent" tab (only) in my inventory permanently to 90 days using the filters in Firestorm. I find it useful in all sorts of ways: it reminds of things I've bought recently, and of items I have yet to unpack or categorize properly. It reminds me of recent outfits I've made, so that I'm not continually wearing the same old thing. When I've been working on something, it reminds me of my progress on it. It prompts me, via HUDs, LMs, and notecards, to remember events or commitments in-world I've made. And so on. It's just a super easy and efficient memory aid.

How do you change that without also changing the main view?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

How do you change that without also changing the main view?

Yes, I think what Ivy said. It gives me the flexibility of switching back and forth between the tabs (including "Worn"), depending on what I'm doing.

Often I can just work in "Recent," but there are a few things (such as making new folders) that you can't do there, so right click  > Show in Main View takes me to whatever I've been working on in my main tab.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

You can't change the main view of the default tab of the inventory, it only affects the recent Tab when you do it 

wow I did not know that. I thought the filters were for the main view.

90 days is apparently too much for me, but 30 looks like it will work well.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

why pollute the GD with this? We have a Answer/Question forum, and for Avatar issues,  Your Avatar.

Setting rules... is a bit odd, we have the guidlines already.

I wouldn't call it polluting the GD, I've seen several other threads posted in here that I'd list as pollution, but a thread that I'm intending to be a help thread.

Also I set rules to better keep this thread on topic

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1. If you're new, look in Search for groups that might interest you.  Feel free to leave free groups and join new ones.

2. If you're new, compliment people and ask nicely for help. More often than not, people will try to help you if you're polite.

3. If you have a problem with an item you've purchased, send a note to the creator or store manager to ask them nicely if they can fix it. (See # 2 above.)

4. Don't buy anything or even pick up freebies if you don't really like the thing. There will always be more stuff you like. There will always be more free stuff you like too.

5. Try to organize your inventory in a way that fits how you actually use it. When you're not sure where to put new stuff, either put it in a folder for stuff you got that month (named for the month and year), or that season, or that hunt you went on (hunt name and year), or put it into one of the appropriate system folders. You don't have to unpack everything, but if you don't have some order to your inventory, you may never find what you want in it.

6. Delete stuff you don't really like, clothing sizes you won't use, and duplicated stuff you don't really need. Use Inventory Filters to find Landmarks, Scripts, Notecards & whatever that may be duplicated or in the wrong folder. Regularly Delete old stuff before you get more new stuff. 

7. Save the packages your items came in and keep them in the folder with the outfit or whatever. This is especially important for clothing, because you might change which body you'll want to use, but in the meantime you can delete the sizes you won't be wearing.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:
44 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

Also I set rules to better keep this thread on topic

Threads really can't have their own set of rules. If they could all peace would be had in the forum. :)

Once you make a thread it becomes everyone's, not just yours.

That's very true.  There's always hope, though.  In the spirit of the season, it's not a bad idea to see how far we can run with a thread that shares some of our tips for surviving and enjoying SL.  Anyone who doesn't want to, doesn't have to.  😉

• Like 3

For newbies, definitely get your inventory organizing game in order and not leave new purchases lingering in the Receiving folder and new acquisitions disappear into the disorganized black hole. You don't want to end up crying in a corner when you start sorting your mess 10 years into the game.

• Like 4

Many objects that you buy in SL contain scripts that make them move or change their appearance (or help you move or change your appearance). Sometimes those scripts lock up and refuse to work.  Sometimes they work, but don't do what you expect.  Often, the solution is to restart the script to give it another chance. If you are really lucky, you can do that by selecting the scripted object and using the Scripts option in the Build menu in your viewer to Reset Scripts.  Usually, though, that won't work because scripts are commonly distributed as no-mod. So, what to do?

1. The first line of defense is to keep a backup copy of the object in your inventory. If a script messes up, toss the broken copy and rez a new one.

2. Many scripters design scripts to reset automatically when you rez or wear the items they are in. Give that a try.

3. Other scripters design ways to reset a script by typing a specific keyword. If so, that should be explained in a notecard that came with the item.

4. Many scripts are designed to work only for the person who owns them, or for members of a particular group. If a script works for some people but not others, it's probably not broken.

5.  Some scripts may become non-responsive if you enter a parcel where the landowner has disabled all scripts. When you leave the area, the scripts should work again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Said in jest but actually, the reason I stopped accepting dance invites several years ago.  Sad but true.  

Isn't it funny how SL works? Just a couple of hours ago i got a dance invitation/teleport for a random region that i 've never been.. from a woman(maybe) that i 've never talked to.

(*** Rejected of course.)

[2021/12/02 04:21]  Second Life: secondlife:///app/agent/e17.../about has offered to teleport you to their location (http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/?????/239/152/23):

come dance with me!
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/?????/237/152/22
 <icon>Parcel_M_Dark</icon> - Moderate

• Haha 3

Even if you aren't interested in creating, it's helpful to learn the basics of building and scripting. Scripting is the bane of my existence, but I do know how to modify a script. Little things like rezzing a prim and moving it around, stretching it can be helpful in modifying objects. Creating your own alpha has become a lost art, so has creating your own physics.

Play with features. That's the best advice that was given to me. If you break something just rez a new one.

• Like 4

• Set your security orb to allow at least 30 seconds or more to get your rear out of your land.
  • Don't set your store where only those in the group can enter. I have actually ran into that.
  • If you're new in world and still learning to walk, etc and plowing into things ask for help. Most will assist new people onboarding.
  • Like 1

My first few months in SL were chaotic. I have OCD and that significantly affected how my time was spent. Not having free funds to buy things also impacted my mindset.

• My biggest tip for new players (and anyone else) is: Do not pick up anything that you don't love. 

My inventory is 190k now. I used to do tons of freebie grabs, hunts, etc. I was obsessive about it. I haven't opened the vast majority of the items I grabbed, and I don't like half of what I've opened. 

• Related, my second biggest tip is: Make a list of the top things that you want, and limit yourself to 10 items of that type.

You can have sub-types, as well. For example, I got a *ton* of jeans, because I like jeans. But I dislike most of them because of the waist on them. I should have limited myself to getting just a few very good-looking jeans with the types of waistlines I like, plus the types of leg heights for cuffs I want for shoes.

Limiting your inventory isn't just about making it manageable. It's also about being able to use what you have.

[Edited to add: Also, look *very carefully* at the product. Get a demo every time, because anything without a demo is a huge gamble. Advertisement pictures can hide A Lot. Be sure that it looks how you want it to up-close, from all angles, and with bending your avatar different ways.)

Also, spend time looking to see if you can find an item with open Modify permissions, or one from a Full Perm shop, and then use your own textures. Very nice-looking things that you can buy will be worth buying outright because the construction work and textures are so good, but other things you might be better off making textures for yourself.

• Related to all of the above, buy a good mesh body. Don't waste your time buying clothes and things for a standard avatar. Most good things in SL are made for a limited number of mesh bodies.

I was fortunate enough to have someone gift me the Lara body a few months in. These days you have more options because creators are making clothing for more bodies, but be sure to research if the clothes you are considering buying would fit the body that you are considering buying.

• Wait.

I did a lot of things on impulse. From buying hunt items without knowing what they were, to joining groups and buying clothes, to snatching up expensive things (well, expensive for my limited funds) because I thought the price might go up later. 

• Make a plan. Know what you want to get (group memberships, clothes, furniture, etc) and keep an eye on it for sales, free join days, etc.

Holidays will usually have a sale of at least 20% off on some big price item things, and some free group join periods. And many pricey items get put out in limited colors for significantly reduced prices on weekend sales.

• Conserve group space, and track the prices of groups that you're interested in.

Join fees for big groups are heavy. You'll want free spots open for any "free to join" time periods. I've joined groups during free to join times, and then left them before their free to join time ended, because I didn't know their value and other groups were temporarily free to join. I could have saved L$1000 easily by knowing the value of things.

• Google search

Look up blogs about SL, freebie websites, video tutorials, etc. And check in with them every week or so at least.

Edited by ValuedAndSelective
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.