No pre-built gaming pc for you

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

They can still get Mac Pros and Dell Precision workstations. They’ll be okay.

Yes, but enough of these studios also run render farms for CG effects and movies. Those aren't exactly energy friendly though there are ways to mitigate some of the energy usage.

*hugs his modest GTX 1050 powered laptop* (I do run that with a 5 fan cooling pad... generally stays at about 60-65c under heavy workloads and SL... the best AAA game title running on it is Doom Eternal at medium settings. I mostly dig random indie games anyway, which tend to be less intensive IME.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

I think the question nobody is asking is why? The state isn't paying your electrify bill nor are they generating the electricity to sell to you. So if you want some energy hog device even at idle it is coming out of your own wallet. But the "state" has bought into the whole fake scientific scandal that "climate change" is real so they keep regulating power plants out of existence. Wind and solar is nice, except when there is no wind or solar. Hydro is great except when the region goes through an extended drought period. Nuclear is the best option, at least to meet with a 'carbon neutral' footprint, but there are numerous issues with nuclear let alone the cost and time it takes to get a plant online. The best overall source of power generation would be natural gas, but we can't have that because some group of politicians pretending to be scientists say c02 emissions will destroy the earth in 10 years! (every 10 years they say that!)

These particular regulations aren't that big of a deal anyways for most users, but again, ask yourself why the hell the government thinks it needs to regulate how much energy an individual purchases to live life they want to live life

I'll be happy to take over your water supply when ours runs out since you don't want to share so everyone can live at least a half decent life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

Yes, but enough of these studios also run render farms for CG effects and movies. Those aren't exactly energy friendly though there are ways to mitigate some of the energy usage.

From the explanations of the regulations, those systems would be exempt, wouldn’t they?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/28/2021 at 1:09 PM, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

source.gif

I don't see HOW you can't get political with this?  Is the government going to start telling me how much food I can keep in my fridge next? or how much water I"m allowed to use.  God forbid they start telling people they can only birth one child. 

This almost seems like it came from the onion because its so ridiculous!

This pretty much sums up how I feel right here. I'm not gonna lie I would intentionally break this law clean off if I lived in any of those states. If they pull it in mine I fully intend to not abide by that law. To many people fought and died for us to have freedom in this country. I'll be damned if someone is going to tell me what I can and can not do in my own house. Best I can tell them is good luck trying because that'll be the day. Ice cream in hell anybody? lol👍😎

4 minutes ago, Velk Kerang said:

This pretty much sums up how I feel right here. I'm not gonna lie I would intentionally break this law clean off if I lived in any of those states. If they pull it in mine I fully intend to not abide by that law. To many people fought and died for us to have freedom in this country. I'll be damned if someone is going to tell me what I can and can not do in my own house. Best I can tell them is good luck trying because that'll be the day. Ice cream in hell anybody? lol👍😎

As far as I can tell, though, the only people in danger of breaking the law are the computer manufacturers, who can't sell models in particular states that don't comply with those states' minimum standards for safety and energy efficiency.    Same as any other product.

Energy efficiency laws apply to computers too -- whodathunkit?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

As far as I can tell, though, the only people in danger of breaking the law are the computer manufacturers, who can't sell models in particular states that don't comply with those states' minimum standards for safety and energy efficiency.    Same as any other product.

Energy efficiency laws apply to computers too -- whodathunkit?

I've looked at the specs. on some of those rigs and they are perfectly safe. They are no more unsafe then the ones that passed. Regulating how much power your rig uses makes about as much sense to me as trying to regulate the power consumption of a VCR.. So no I wouldn'tathunkit mate. lol🤣😎

23 minutes ago, Velk Kerang said:

I've looked at the specs. on some of those rigs and they are perfectly safe. They are no more unsafe then the ones that passed. Regulating how much power your rig uses makes about as much sense to me as trying to regulate the power consumption of a VCR.. So no I wouldn'tathunkit mate. lol🤣😎

So you disagree with the minimum specs the authorities in CA and wherever else have set down.    They presumably used one set of data and models to arrive at their conclusions and either you used a different dataset and different modelling or you used the same data and computer modelling, but for some reason come to different conclusions. What of it?

Edited by Innula Zenovka

Was it ever established what specifically made those particular Dell computers ineligible? If anything? Or was it just they didn't bother to submit them for certification? Possibly Dell planned to retire those models anyway? (At Dell it must be a real challenge to decide which SKUs are most obsolete.)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'll be happy to take over your water supply when ours runs out since you don't want to share so everyone can live at least a half decent life.

Or, you can drill a well. and no it isn't my responsibility to share with everyone else, I can choose to limit my usage, and since water is a limited resource, the state can impose restrictions on how much water we use and for what. Energy isn't a limited resource - more power plants can be built to keep up with the demand

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

Energy isn't a limited resource - more power plants can be built to keep up with the demand

What exactly do you think those plants get their energy from? The energy bunny? 

1 hour ago, Velk Kerang said:

I can assure you. Nobody died for ignorance. Due to ignorance possibly but certainly not for the cause of ignorance.

Edited by Finite
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 12:49 PM, Chris Nova said:

If you live in these states, you’re screwed if you’re looking to buy a decent pc for SL. No idea what would happen if you already own one. Building your own is still legal though because that makes sense.

California

Washington

Vermont

Hawaii

Colorado

Oregon

https://hothardware.com/news/californias-confusing-energy-law-may-have-just-taken-away-your-gaming-pc

Please discuss without getting political. This is important and I don’t want a Linden to swoop in and lock my thread, thanks!

I wouldn't go by what tech journos say as they are always indulging in hysterical hypotheticals so they will be read by techies in the 0/1 thinking space. Ask lawyers how they would interpret it; see how judges actually adjudicate it and what the jurisprudence around it is; see how it is enforced?

My son recent bought me a microwave for my birthday. We opened it up and this circular fell out with scary black letters, DO NOT USE THIS DEVICE IF YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA. Why? I wondered. I didn't realize there was this law. What if my son had bought this and given it to his cousin in California? Would the feds come breaking down the door? Obviously you go to nearby states to buy the things or someone gets it for you and hands it off, and maybe there is already a Dread Scott Pirate of energy-burning PCs now. I come from a long line of poor people who live in the dark and freeze and burn all year for constantly trying to keep every penny from being spent on electricity. I'm sitting in the dark and heat even now, and soon if I have to do a bunch of chores and errands my PC will be turned off and every toaster and device will be unplugged because they use energy even if not working if they are plugged in!

I think the sentiment behind this measure makes sense because energy has to be curbed, the planet is broiling. But I think it will be ignored the way people ignore the instructions not to cut the tags off mattresses and pillows. The only enforcement power is the shipping and Amazon and companies like Dell saying they won't ship it. But they won't be able to control it fully.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

5 hours ago, Velk Kerang said:

So, freedom means that the decisions you make in your life are determined by what's necessary to spite someone else? Doesn't that mean that they're still determining your actions?

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 4

I would intentionally break this law clean off if I lived in any of those states. If they pull it in mine I fully intend to not abide by that law. To many people fought and died for us to have freedom in this country. I'll be damned if someone is going to tell me what I can and can not do in my own house.

The regulations apply to the large manufacturers of pre-built systems. 

The regulations don't apply to private individuals - even under the regulations, as a private individual,  you could still legally purchase individual components and built whatever computer your heart desire's without any restrictions at all on any energy requirements.   I beleive that there also may be exemptions for small mom-and-pop type computers shops that hand-build PC's for customers.

I'll be damned if someone is going to tell me what I can and can not do in my own house

There are a lot of things you can't do in your own home.  That said, I doubt the computer police will be busting down doors to check anyone's rig.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

Or, you can drill a well. and no it isn't my responsibility to share with everyone else, I can choose to limit my usage, and since water is a limited resource, the state can impose restrictions on how much water we use and for what. Energy isn't a limited resource - more power plants can be built to keep up with the demand

You have certainly shown your true colors. People wonder why I believe humanity is on the verge of annihilating itself. Those that believe as you do are the reason why. More power plants isn't the answer. That will only use up more limited resources to build them. 

Maybe you should take the time to sit down and really think things through thoroughly before posting something that is so obviously not going to help. If anything it will cause even more damage and speed up the process. But if you don't have children or grandchildren I suppose it wouldn't matter to you. Because you simply don't care about anyone but yourself. Thank you for letting me know so that I can avoid you in the future.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

Energy isn't a limited resource - more power plants can be built to keep up with the demand

Um.. yes energy is a limited resource. You are limited by the amount of resources within the world and also limited by the time it takes to mine/process those resources to power the plants to create energy. Natural Gas, oil, clean coal, uranium, hydrogen etc., are all limited resources. Even wind and solar are limited in that you need wind and sunny days to create the energy.

Also, take lithium batteries. Studies show that there may not be enough metals in the world to meet the demand Tesla alone need to make cars for their goal of 20mil per year. Cobalt is being removed from their batteries (they plan) as they cant get enough of it.

Nickel is also in short supply with experts saying that to meet the Nickel demand for Tesla cars per year they would need to open another 23 new mines. Graphite is the same and they would need every year 94% of the worlds total production of it. Say good buy to anything else that uses graphite. The world processes 77,000 metric tonnes of Lithium per year yet Tesla, to build their 20million vehicles per year goal, needs 127,000 metric tonnes. There May Not Be Enough Nickel In The World For Tesla, Electric Vehicles (musclecarsandtrucks.com)

Keep in mind the above is just for Tesla. That doesn't include BMW, Ford, Volkswagen, GM Motors, KIA, Nissan etc. But hey, so long as we get rid of oil to power cars, who cares if millions of kilometres of the environment is destroyed by mining.

Then there was the recent report from the UK stating that in meeting their goal of all electric cars by 2030 they would not have enough electricity generation to charge all those cars. So not only do we not have enough resources for the cars we dont even have enough resources for electricity generation to power them.

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

They can only limit what they can control, which are in cities and towns mostly..

On 7/29/2021 at 6:08 PM, Silent Mistwalker said:

We can't afford several thousand dollars for a whole house surge protection.

It's not that costly. It's a box about the size of an electrical outlet box that lives in your main breaker panel, and it only costs a couple hundred dollars to have an electrician install one.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.