No pre-built gaming pc for you

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It's not that costly. It's a box about the size of an electrical outlet box that lives in your main breaker panel, and it only costs a couple hundred dollars to have an electrician install one.

Yeah. That doesn't work so well in a mobile home. Only $200? I suppose I could go without eating for a few days but then I'd end up sick again so I'd really rather not since I can't afford any of it anyway. 🤫

it is funny though - lawmakers always creating legislation to "save" somethin  like energy, fuels, etc

And what is the best selling vehicles in the USA? Large trucks and SUVs and high horsepower 'muscle cars' lol

Legislate away! consumers will always find a way to buy what they really want anyways!

On 7/28/2021 at 10:24 AM, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Part 2 of debunking the click bait:

Notice how the first monitor he tests is drawing 14watts of power when in SLEEP mode... ie: when the user thinks they've turned it off, it's still drawing a LOT of power that goes into your electricity bill.

- That's what this is targeting from a consumer POV...

Notice how the second monitor in the same situation draws 0 watts.

Which of those is the smarter buy now, if you're looking at your utility bill and wondering why it's so high?

He then goes into a long investigation to figure out why this is happening... that I am still watching. ;)

But he's coming to the opinion that gsync can't meet the regulation due to how it currently works.

That said I recall some of the background motivation for this law was in fact about how so many things in the household when turned "off" actually don't turn off - and keep drawing power. This has been causing people's energy usage to be notably more than they would have expected it to be. So the state is trying to force manufacturers to actually power off devices when powered off... that said, if I recall this debate from almost a decade ago - the big offender was TV screens, not computers. But maybe that's since changed.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

it is funny though - lawmakers always creating legislation to "save" somethin  like energy, fuels, etc

And what is the best selling vehicles in the USA? Large trucks and SUVs and high horsepower 'muscle cars' lol

That too will soon end. More and more jurisdictions both within and without the USA are setting dates after which fossil fuel vehicles will no longer be allowed to be sold. Which is a good thing.

As a result auto makers are all now trying to rapidly catch up to Tesla. And this includes Ford with their upcoming EV Trucks that hope to compete with the Cybertruck.

On looks, they may win that competition, though in the specs the Cybertruck is superior and cannot be beat until another maker also adopts it's weird design (that makes the body so strong, allowing it to so efficiently handle the mass it can handle). I suspect the people buying 'work trucks' for construction will flock to the Cybertruck, while the Suburbanites will get the Ford EV. In fact, most of the reservations for the Cybertruck came from red-states and companies - because the specs are just too good if you've got a farm or a construction business and those folks don't care if the vehicle looks like a metal box.

As for muscle cars, just like high end SUVs, they've already been beat out in the specs by moderate EVs. A simple Chevy Bolt low end EV can out perform most muscle cars, and the Tesla Model 3 outperforms them all. While the Models Y and X are eating into the SUV market for high end consumers. As soon as a few more lower cost entries hit the market it's game over (Note that a Tesla Model 3 costs about the same as a Toyota Corolla after 5 years of ownership - so it's already a cheap car, you just pay most of the cost upfront instead of over time with gas / tune-ups / maintenance, and eventually more folks will realize this. Especially as it also means any car cheaper than a Model 3 is actually really cheap compared to a gas car).

52 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

It isn't always about performance.

Yes I am aware the muscle cars are all about male-anatomy measuring contests. But even there the EVs are coming for them - it's why some drag racing venues have been banning EVs - because it makes their bits look small when those EVs out race them while looking cooler and having Ninjutsu silence. :ph34r:

Tesla's response to jealous muscle cars not wanting them on their drag racing strips? Fart mode - letting the Tesla also make fart noises, which is all that engine sound really is after all. ;)

There's a LOT of EVs coming. I think the 'Mustang' is going EV too. There's everything from cars that look pretty darn boring, to cars that look like muscle cars but don't fart (unless you want them to...), to cars like the 1000-mile range Aptera that look like something out of the Jetsons in their 'production' rather than concept design.

trucks, SUVs, and muscle cars that use fossil fuels are all getting replaced over the next decade with EVs. For those entries where the EVs are already present, like SUVs, sales of the mid-high end gas powered ones are starting to take a hit, and resale values are tanking (X-series BMW crossovers and SUVs for example - the consumers of these are now trying to get Y's and X's).

Only reason the kinds of cars @Jackson Redstar noted are still the top sellers is because production of their replacements hasn't happened to a large enough scale yet. Not because consumers prefer them. Interest in both the Cybertruck and the Ford 150 EV both speak to this, and the rapid rise of sales of the Model-Y speak to it for crossover SUVs (Tesla literally cannot make them fast enough to meet demand). VW, GM, and others are all jumping in on this because none of them wants to be the one left out of the transition.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

On 7/31/2021 at 7:13 AM, Innula Zenovka said:

So you disagree with the minimum specs the authorities in CA and wherever else have set down.    They presumably used one set of data and models to arrive at their conclusions and either you used a different dataset and different modelling or you used the same data and computer modelling, but for some reason come to different conclusions. What of it?

Simply put. If you can afford the power bill to run a high end rig then someone else shouldn't have the right to tell you that you can't.👍😎

On 7/31/2021 at 11:09 AM, Lyssa Greymoon said:

What are you going to do, start a company that makes computers you can’t sell?

I probably could start a company building computers if I wanted to. I've built enough of them. lol Since you wanted to go there if it were me I'd build the stock rigs and offer up a special booster kit. lol No regulations on computer components. lol😜

On 7/31/2021 at 11:59 AM, Rowan Amore said:

There are a lot of things you can't do in your own home.  That said, I doubt the computer police will be busting down doors to check anyone's rig.

Personally I do whatever I want in my home. As long as I am not hurting anyone can't nobody tell me what I can and can't do in my own home that I pay the bills for. Many have tried though. lol I'd normally agree with that last statement, but I've seen some stupid stuff in my time. I once had this clown show up from city ordinance out of the blue try to tell me I could not work on a car in my own yard unless it was in an enclosed garage. I looked at him and smiled and pointed over at a tree and told him well get to chopping MF'er or get out my yard. lol Let's just say the judge liked my style. lol🤣

On 7/31/2021 at 11:52 AM, Theresa Tennyson said:

So, freedom means that the decisions you make in your life are determined by what's necessary to spite someone else? Doesn't that mean that they're still determining your actions?

How did you get spite out of all of that? lol Simply put. I don't let people take my rights away. Nothing spiteful or complicated about it mate. lol😎

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.

On 7/31/2021 at 8:18 AM, Finite said:

I can assure you. Nobody died for ignorance. Due to ignorance possibly but certainly not for the cause of ignorance.

Not sure what your point is that you were trying to make, but your statement is actually incorrect. Millions died for the ignorance, due to ignorance and it was all caused by ignorance in the handling of this pandemic mate. So we don't want to even go there.🤦‍♂️

Re-read and maybe try again if you don't understand the point?

2 minutes ago, Velk Kerang said:

Not sure what your point is that you were trying to make, but your statement is actually incorrect. Millions died for the ignorance, due to ignorance and it was all caused by ignorance in the handling of this pandemic mate. So we don't want to even go there.🤦‍♂️

" but certainly not for the cause of ignorance."

somehow you took this as "caused by" instead of "cause of" I am guessing?

1 minute ago, Finite said:

Re-read and maybe try again if you don't understand the point?

" but certainly not for the cause of ignorance."

somehow you took this as "caused by" instead of "cause of" I am guessing?

I'm good. I understood your words very clearly. I'm not an idiot. So if that's your underlined way of calling me stupid for my views then I'm opting out of the conversation and I'll leave you to it mate. Stay safe.👍😎

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Velk Kerang said:

I'm good. I understood your words very clearly. I'm not an idiot. So if that's your underlined way of calling me stupid for my views then I'm opting out of the conversation and I'll leave you to it mate. Stay safe.👍😎

I was just stating that no one goes into any battle carrying an ignorance guidon. That's not saying the reasons they are there to begin with are not because of ignorance.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Finite said:

I was just stating that no one goes into any battle carrying an ignorance guidon. That's not saying the reasons they are there to begin with are not because of ignorance.

Fair enough. Valid point. I can agree to that mate.👍😎

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Velk Kerang said:

I probably could start a company building computers if I wanted to. I've built enough of them. lol Since you wanted to go there if it were me I'd build the stock rigs and offer up a special booster kit. lol No regulations on computer components. lol😜

Stick it to the man! Show those faceless bureaucrats they aren't the boss of you with the new Extreme Turbo Sleep Mode Booster Kit! 

5 hours ago, Velk Kerang said:

Simply put. If you can afford the power bill to run a high end rig then someone else shouldn't have the right to tell you that you can't

No one, I think, is telling you what you can and can't do, though they may be making it more inconvenient for you to buy particular machines online direct from the manufacturer.

But why shouldn't government tell you that you can't run a high-end rig if so doing contributes to a public nuisance of the kind people living on the West Coast of America are already experiencing in the form of massive forest fires, droughts and unprecedently high temperatures, which are the effects on global heating and the climate crisis, which is caused by excess CO2 emissions, of which power generation is a major cause?

There are two obvious solutions, reduce the need for power generation overall by building by retiring older machines and building more efficient models, and reduce the amount of CO2 emitted by generating power in the first place, by adopting more carbon-efficient energy sources.

At the moment, people using inefficient rigs are simply freeloading, since they enjoy the benefits of the high end rig while leaving others to pick up its external costs of the damage their equipment inflicts on third parties.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Velk Kerang said:

Personally I do whatever I want in my home. As long as I am not hurting anyone can't nobody tell me what I can and can't do in my own home that I pay the bills for.

You can't print counterfeit money in your basement or make meth.  Can't chain the wife up in the basement even if you aren't hurting her.  Can't make bombs.  Plenty of things you can't do.  A lot of things illegal outside your home can still get you arrested if you do them inside your home.  Your statement does speak volumes though.

However, the computer police still won't be beating down your door.

• Like 3

On 7/28/2021 at 2:54 PM, Chris Nova said:

See, this is what I don’t get because you can turn sleep/idle modes OFF. It’s like, the first thing I do whenever I buy a new upgrade. So I don’t understand the inability to ship to those states.

On 7/29/2021 at 6:13 AM, Chris Nova said:

Jokes on them. I'm not home at 5am and my computer will be turned off.

On 7/29/2021 at 2:15 PM, Chris Nova said:

You can actually damage your computer turning it on and off constantly. 

On 7/29/2021 at 5:02 AM, Chris Nova said:

These [...] make zero sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Velk Kerang said:

Simply put. If you can afford the power bill to run a high end rig then someone else shouldn't have the right to tell you that you can't.👍😎

That's not what the new regulations say at all.  You can run a f***ng 50 Killowatt rig in your home when actually using it.  But you need an efficient power supply when it is sleeping/idle.  You can't play a game when you are AFK and sleeping, unless your game is automated robots war, in which case, why even buy a monitor?

Idle Mode - Not Play mode. And these evergy saving regulations apply to hundreds of appliances, not just computer power supplies.  If regulating your power use when sleeping is so important, just disconnect your home from the power grid and generate your own electrical power.  Solar panels, windmills, geothermal (assuming you live on a volcano), your own nuclear reactor.  All possibilities so you can remain independent of those evil government regulations.  You might run into a few obstacles with your own nuclear power plant in your back yard though.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I've concluded that the following is far more devastating news - at least for the folks that live in California:

image.thumb.png.13240811037112102e26d1aad5f23bde.png

https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-business-health-california-coronavirus-pandemic-5ebe70407fcd94ef712c16410f32c4b1

I dont care because it doesnt affect me as I dont live in Cali. But I see this as a translation that its more bacon for me and I am content with that.

Edited by Chris Nova
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have gaming PC it won't work with SL without lagging because I need a new video card. Still haven't gotten one but it works for the normal browsing on it. The thing is with gaming PCS they take a lot of power to use for the components inside the machine to work not even cheap even consider getting a gaming laptop for a short period.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.