No pre-built gaming pc for you

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you live in these states, you’re screwed if you’re looking to buy a decent pc for SL. No idea what would happen if you already own one. Building your own is still legal though because that makes sense.

California

Washington

Vermont

Hawaii

Colorado

Oregon

https://hothardware.com/news/californias-confusing-energy-law-may-have-just-taken-away-your-gaming-pc

Please discuss without getting political. This is important and I don’t want a Linden to swoop in and lock my thread, thanks!

Edited by Chris Nova
  • Haha 2

It doesn’t affect me cause I build my computers. I’m sure computer businesses will figure out how to get around the law. Maybe selling computer “kits” where you buy a power supply separately. This is a political issue but I will abide by the rules set forth.

source.gif

I don't see HOW you can't get political with this?  Is the government going to start telling me how much food I can keep in my fridge next? or how much water I"m allowed to use.  God forbid they start telling people they can only birth one child. 

This almost seems like it came from the onion because its so ridiculous!

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I don't see HOW you can't get political with this?  Is the government going to start telling me how much food I can keep in my fridge next? or how much water I"m allowed to use.  God forbid they start telling people they can only birth one child. 

In America out west, it won't be long before they are limiting them on water and power usage, not because of politics though.. It's the drought plus Lake Meade level dropping over the last two decades. This summer really put a big dent in it as well..

They're in a real tight spot out west right now.. I feel for them.

ETA:

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Governments regulate if they think it is needed. They forced environmental rules on cars in the past, they are going to enforce gas free driving in the not so far future.

If they find a way to store the needed extension cords in planes, they will order electrical airplanes as well. ;)

Climate will get more and more important in the upcoming decades. We better get used to it.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

In America out west, it won't be long before they are limiting them on water and power usage, not because of politics though.. It's the drought plus Lake Meade level dropping over the last two decades. This summer really put a big dent in it as well..

They're in a real tight spot out west right now.. I feel for them.

ETA:

This.  All of this.  We dammed up the Colorado river with the Hoover damn (which is hydro electric) to create lake Meade to water Las Vegas & parts of Cali & AZ.  This was after the Salton Sea was created prematurely unnaturally when a bunch of dikes on the river busted & flooded the basin.  We then rerouted that water and the sea dried back up.  (It has its own previously occurring cycle of 500 years).  A really interesting documentary about the Sea can be found here:  https://www.pbs.org/video/truly-ca-plagues-pleasures-salton-sea-episode-302-trulyca/   Anyhoo, we’ve bled the Colorado dry & now lake Meade is so low is producing 30% less electricity than designed to. 

The brownouts of last summer https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2020/08/18/california-has-first-rolling-blackouts-in-19-years-and-everyone-faces-blame-1309757   & just about all of Texas was without power for extended stretches of days during the Arctic Blast of Feb 2021 & they’re holding their breath this summer.  https://www.texastribune.org/2021/04/15/texas-ercot-blackouts-summer-climate/   Just illuminate just how dire a different way of doing things is needed.  

We’ve proven time & again how we are irresponsible custodians of our home & haven’t got a handle on renewable sustainable energy.

Changes have to begin with a first step.

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 1

I don't see this being an issue in a few years as vid cards are becoming more and more efficient in terms of energy use. Bitcoin miners are a double edged sword. Yes they make the cost of vid cards higher but they also caused makers to make them more efficient. The current generation is nearly twice (?) as energy efficient as the previous one. They're just expensive AF and hard to find even if you could afford one.

Edit: After watching the vid, it doesn't seem to be much of an issue at all anyways.

Edited by Finite

1 hour ago, Chris Nova said:

If you live in these states, you’re screwed if you’re looking to buy a decent pc for SL. No idea what would happen if you already own one. Building your own is still legal though because that makes sense.

California

Washington

Vermont

Hawaii

Colorado

Oregon

https://hothardware.com/news/californias-confusing-energy-law-may-have-just-taken-away-your-gaming-pc

Please discuss without getting political. This is important and I don’t want a Linden to swoop in and lock my thread, thanks!

Before we all panic and start hoarding gaming PCs like we are crypto miners, there are a few important things to understand about the new Title 20 energy efficiency regulations, that should put most gamer's minds at ease:

The regulations only apply to prebuilds from systems integrators (SIs), not custom builds

The regulations only apply when your computer isn’t active, so while it's sleeping or idle

The efficiency calculations take into account expandability, so they can end up favoring larger PCs over smaller builds

“They are not targeting gamers specifically, they are targeting gluttons,” JayzTwoCents explained in his very helpful video on this topic, where he explained the regulations.

So rest assured, California is not banning gaming PCs. That said,they are instituting some new energy efficiency specifications that may block the sale of certain prebuilt PCs that don’t comply with the new energy efficiency requirements. 

The regulations in question were put into planned effect in 2016. The standards are being phased in over the course of five years, with each year a new class of devices being added to the list. The newest wave of effective regulations activated on July 1st, affecting desktop computers, thin clients, and mobile gaming systems. California is also joined by Washington, Oregon, Hawaii, and Vermont in instituting the new energy standards.

As stated above, these regulations will only affect residents of California and the other states if they are buying from a Systems Integrator like Alienware, Origin, IBuyPower, etc., who have contracts with hardware manufacturers and make gaming systems for people. If you are building your own custom PC, these regulations will not affect you

https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/14669/no-california-is-not-banning-gaming-pcs

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.