Is it fair to DJ and have an Alt as A host under the same avatar

Drakeo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

26 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

Linden dollars are virtual, not digital currency.  
But at that, digital currencies existed decades prior to SL.

Buuuuut none of that matters- 

I really am curious if Drakeo is a bot posting gibberish & paranoid speculations.

& I keep answering.  Ugh.  😐

It is a currency and can be bought and sold. It is digital. not cryptic like bitcoin 

There is nothing virtual about  $L

That was the heart of of the beginning of how to pay people.

https://fortune.com/2006/11/27/anshe-chung-first-virtual-millionaire/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anshe_Chung

Edited by Drakeo
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

My reading of Investopedia seems to imply that game"social network"-money is in fact a subset of "digital currency"

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/digital-currency.asp

8 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

My understanding is digital currencies are backed by a bank.

Virtual are not.  

To answer both of you: What we believe is quite irrelevant. L$ are not a real currency - at all, period. Crypto Currencies are an entirely different beast and were specifically made with the intent to be used as an actual currency - and some real world places will actually take payments in such.

Anyone that tries to tell you differently is not firing on all cylinders.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

To answer both of you: What we believe is quite irrelevant. L$ are not a real currency - at all, period. Crypto Currencies are an entirely different beast and were specifically made with the intent to be used as an actual currency - and some real world places will actually take payments in such.

Anyone that tries to tell you differently is not firing on all cylinders.

There are many millionaires that made it in here. More of a micro-token that is can be sold back in doing so you can use it to buy other currency . It is real. It has value. 

This makes fraud a real thing. And LL takes it serious.

Edited by Drakeo
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

Linden dollars are virtual, not digital currency.  
But at that, digital currencies existed decades prior to SL.

Buuuuut none of that matters- 

I really am curious if Drakeo is a bot posting gibberish & paranoid speculations.

& I keep answering.  Ugh.  😐

I wish he was a bot. Then I could have some fun.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Drakeo said:

There are many millionaires that made it in here. More of a micro-token that is can be sold back in doing so you can use it to buy other currency . It is real. It has value. 

This makes fraud a real thing. And LL takes it serious.

Anshe was rich before she ever set foot in SL. So was her German husband.

• Like 1

Fraud is a real thing but tipping is not that thing.

Tipping is a voluntary donation. It can't be fraud because there is no failed transaction on the part of the DJ or host. They have already provided you with the service you voluntarily paid for. If you don't like their service, the solution is simple; don't tip them.

I wonder if the OP is getting confused by scripted tipjars that when you pay the DJ, the money actually goes to the owner of the venue (who may or may not also be the host). These tipjars are "splitters"; what typically happens is that the venue keeps a percentage (usually 10%) and the remainder is forwarded to the DJ. That's not fraud either, it's a business contract between the venue and the DJ. The DJ agrees to those terms when they are hired. It's the equivalent of going to a restaurant which adds the service charge (tip) to your bill.

I don't use a splitter because I do all the hosting myself, but if I hired hosts as well as DJs, I would.

None of this means or implies that the DJ, host, or even the venue owner are alts of each other.

I did once use an alt at my club, as a "secret guest" on one occasion when my poor DJ was playing to just me for an hour. I felt sad about it so I brought in my secret alt and the DJ got an extra tip from me. No fraud there either, I ended up out-of-pocket that day. But it was hard, trying to converse with both avatars at once and not make a mistake, like responding from my alt to something said to me. I really doubt that a good host could manage it on a regular basis in a busy club. Far easier, if a single person is doing both the hosting and the DJing, to do both from the same avatar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

L$ are not a real currency

Is the Chinese Yen not a currency because I can't buy **** with it in America, and would have to convert it to USD for it to be personally useful to me?

If you actually read the definitions in the article I posted (or this one), I think it makes it clear that Linden dollars are in fact a "Virtual Currency" as defined there.

As to the practical question of are lindens "real money" as one would understand colloquially, Then, yes, you'd have to be off your rocker to try and buy a coffee or whatever with L$. And, (a it of a tangent) while you /could/ try and use L$ as an investment instrument, you'd almost certainly lose "real money" that way.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Quistess Alpha said:

Is the Chinese Yen not a currency because I can't buy **** with it in America, and would have to convert it to USD for it to be personally useful to me?

If you actually read the definitions in the article I posted (or this one), I think it makes it clear that Linden dollars are in fact a "Virtual Currency" as defined there.

All irrelevant.

See the response you've pulled a singular line from. No present Country or Real Life Stock Exchange (among other things) allows trading in Linden Dollars.

Until the day that happens, they remain tokens usable only in Second Life and absolutely worthless/useless elsewhere.

"Tilia’s Service may include offering “Virtual Tokens,” which each constitute a digital representation of a limited license right, sublicensed by Tilia, to use or access features or content within a Provider’s Platform."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

"Tilia’s Service may include offering “Virtual Tokens,” which each constitute a digital representation of a limited license right, sublicensed by Tilia, to use or access features or content within a Provider’s Platform."

1. Linden dollars are virtual tokens.

A virtual token is a digital representation of value that can be digitally traded and functions as a medium of exchange, unit of account, or store of value.

https://cryptocurrency-lawfirm.com/what-is-a-virtual-token/

Virtual currency is a digital representation of value that functions as a medium of exchange, a unit of account, and/or a store of value.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/virtual-currencies

2. Virtual tokens and virtual currencies have basically identical definitions.

Since they exist in a lot of variants, digital currencies can be considered a superset of virtual currencies and cryptocurrencies.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/digital-currency.asp

3. Virtual Currencies are a type of Digital Currency.

All I'm saying is that Linden Dollars are a Digital currency, which by the transitive property is true. Unless I'm missing something.

• Haha 1

Just now, Quistess Alpha said:

All I'm saying is that Linden Dollars are a Digital currency, which by the transitive property is true. Unless I'm missing something.

Yes - you're missing everything/reality. It has been explained already and your prior attempt to drag an actual currency into it fell flat.

They are glorified Chuck-E-Cheese tokens.

1 minute ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Also in that article it says as things change and regulations change, definitions will change.  Wording and definition haven't quite caught up with what's going on in the real world.  Each country may have it's own definition.  Each state in the US may have a different definition.  The Linden is still basically a product that is sold to you.  You may also sell that product back for RL dollars.  Product/token.

• Like 2

Ohhhhkay... Just read the first page of this. That was enough. Not going to wade through the next 15 pages.

If I understand the weirdly written OP,  and the comments I did read (big IF), then my thought on having the DJ and the Host/ess being the same person is a little icky just on a personal ethics model. The reason is that patrons will often tip both the DJ and Host/ess thinking "two different people." If they are the same person, one would be tipping them twice. I don't work things in SL and I don't often get paid, so I'm kind of techno-stupid here, but it seems like there would be a way to flag that ONE of the avatars does not take tips. "Don't tip the hostess..." or something. Dunno.

But "fraud"? Uh. No. The screed against LL? Uh. No.

And even allowing both avatars to accept tips is OK. It was pointed out that no one forces anyone to tip anyone else & it is all voluntary. For me, personally, for my ethics, I would not accept a double tip. But that's why my finances are crap. I'm the world's worst gold-digger.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Drakeo said:

Name me one staff member with god powers at LL . Never happen.

There are plenty of 'god' powers including invisibility and the big boot, i.e. the power to kick someone out of SL for whatever time is appropriate.  I'm not naming names because it's bad form, and I'm not going to please you by providing any in particular, but 'Governance' in a name is a clue to some of them.

Any Linden logged into the grid can have access to the god tools. Can does not necessarily mean does have. It depends on what department they work in and the reason for them being on the grid. It's been that way since day 1.

Normal residents (non Linden accounts) do not have legal access to those tools. If you aren't a Linden and you somehow manage to access those tools and/or use them, you are a goner. 

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.