Is it fair to DJ and have an Alt as A host under the same avatar

Drakeo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Stop making false accusations. No one here has said they condone fraud or anything else. Stop with the drama mongering. It makes you look like 💩.

If people are being deceived it's up to them to do something about it. We can NOT. We have ZERO evidence of any fraud and you have NOT provided any.

Sit down and shut up. No one needs  your white knighting.

It isn't even White Knighting. There's a whole other person here (at least one anyway) that such a thing fits.

It is one of the few times I'll actually nitpick more openly ... A White Knight as it pertains to Message Boards and other, more or less similar venues, if a bit more than the definition you've presented and is almost always a negative archetype.

They look for "someone in need of saving" with no regard to the other person's wishes or the reality of the situation - does the person actually need someone to "defend" them? More often than not, such a person actually makes things worse.

This .... isn't White Knighting. It's Tilting at Windmills at best.

Quick ETA: I only nitpick on this one to prevent the overuse of the wrong term.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

It is one of the few times I'll actually nitpick more openly ... A White Knight as it pertains to Message Boards and other, more or less similar venues, if a bit more than the definition you've presented and is almost always a negative archetype.

It strikes me as rather odd, Solar, that if someone supports or defends a person you dislike or disagree with then you label them as a "white knight", but if someone supports or defends a person or position you agree with no such label is applied to them.
In other words, in the way you and sometimes others use the word it is actually a meaningless label used to shut people down whom you disagree with.

It's very similar to applying the label of "woke", "social justice warrior", or "virtue signaling" to those who defend the rights of Black people, women, or any other marginalized group in society.
Via this name-calling there is the expectation that applying the pejorative label is sufficient enough means to shut the person down and discredit them, as if the label itself disqualifies their stance. Better to just defend your position with reason and debate rather than name-calling, don't you think?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It strikes me as rather odd, Solar, that if someone supports or defends a person you dislike or disagree with then you label them as a "white knight", but if someone supports or defends a person or position you agree with no such label is applied to them.
In other words, in the way you and sometimes others use the word it is actually a meaningless label used to shut people down whom you disagree with.

It's very similar to applying the label of "woke", "social justice warrior", or "virtue signaling" to those who defend the rights of Black people, women, or any other marginalized group in society.
Via this name-calling there is the expectation that applying the pejorative label is sufficient enough means to shut the person down and discredit them, as if the label itself disqualifies their stance. Better to just defend your position with reason and debate rather than name-calling, don't you think?

I think if you read all 16+ pages of Drakeo's rant, you would know why Solar did that.

The labels you speak of are applied to people who only espouse those beliefs because they think it will make them look better, or keep liberals off their back and therefor preserve profits or accolades. Very few of them actually believe it. It's a media ploy.

Those terms are NOT applied to Dr. King, Malcolm X (in his later years).  Or anyone else who is/was a true revolutionary.  

Just now, Doris Johnsky said:

I think if you read all 16+ pages of Drakeo's rant, you would know why Solar did that.

The labels you speak of are applied to people who only espouse those beliefs because they think it will make them look better, or keep liberals off their back and therefor preserve profits or accolades. Very few of them actually believe it. It's a media ploy.

Those terms are NOT applied to Dr. King, Malcolm X (in his later years).  Or anyone else who is/was a true revolutionary.  

Solar brought this up to define the term better, as he did not agree with Silent's interpretation...at least that's what he said.   I agree with Solar here...that what Drakeo was doing was not white-knighting in any sense of the term.

I agree, some do pretend to care about marginalized groups when they really don't, and only seek to bolster their self-esteem by believing they are on the 'right side'. The problem is that many on the right (especially the alt-right) will use these labels towards anyone who is fighting for social justice. -- they don't want social justice or equality -- they want a "might makes right" world where the strongest survive and damn the "weak" ones. And so they use these labels as a defense, as if using them automatically makes the other side wrong.

But remember, you applied the term "woke" to me, in the Juneteenth thread, when you have no idea who I am or what I do regarding marginalized people in society, on the internet or in real life.

Simply helping others is not being "woke". This is all getting very insane.

9 minutes ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Sadly, you're responding to someone there who has those very tendencies (White Knighting and Tilting at Windmills). They're only responding to my post because they have a vested interest in making anyone that disagrees with their antics look bad.

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:
15 minutes ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Expand  Expand  

Sadly, you're responding to someone there who has those very tendencies (White Knighting and Tilting at Windmills). They're only responding to my post because they have a vested interest in making anyone that disagrees with their antics look bad.

Are you afraid to talk to me directly?

The only reason I responded is that heaven forbid you should get to define for others who or who should not be helped on a forum. 

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 1

Fascinating weekend unhinged thread. Double bonus - I learned the origin of a name I used to pre-emptively mute way back when I used to explore other grids. So thats an old curiosty settled.

On the original point - if someone can effectively pull off dj and host and do both well (more than I can do) then they deserve a nod. Bit of a moot point for me though. When going out I carry x amount from the bursar for tipping so it gets split one way or another anyway. Proportions may vary but its still a limit.

• Like 2

Going strictly by the definition of "White Knighting", no what Drakeo is doing is not that.

White Knighting is an attempt at being a feminist ally that assumes that men are better feminists than women are.

Examples of White Knighting might include:

• re-stating a woman's feminist arguments so as to improve them, on the assumption that you can express them more clearly and objectively
  • defending a woman in an argument, cutting off her own defence of herself
  • concern trolling about the tone of feminist expression or otherwise assuming that feminism is in dire need of a man's input
  • misinterpreting a woman's criticisms against structural oppression as low self-esteem or low self-confidence, and engaging in excessive flattery to try and boost it
  • self-appointment to "protect" a female feminist, for instance with statements such as "if anyone has problems with her being a feminist, will have to deal with me first"

What Drakeo is doing is trying to be everyone's protector against an imaginary wrong.  

As far as everyone else in the discussion, apparently unending,  I'm not really concerned about.

If I weren't such a masochist, I would stop adding to the thread and let it die a peaceful death. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The only reason I responded is that heaven forbid you should get to define for others who or who should not be helped on a forum. 

I'm here.

God know WHY I'm still here.     I feel like poking my eyes out so I'll stop.  

No Luna, under most circumstances I simply don't have the time, patience or willingness to entertain you and thus, when I do decide to view your posts - simply give them the appropriate reaction.

Now kindly peddle your performance to someone gullible enough to believe it.

Just now, Doris Johnsky said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm here.

God know WHY I'm still here.     I feel like poking my eyes out so I'll stop.  

Solar's quote was the first one, and so I was speaking to him. He attempted to cozy up with you as a defense against me. Typical.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

No Luna, under most circumstances I simply don't have the time, patience or willingness to entertain you and thus, when I do decide to view your posts - simply give them the appropriate reaction.

Now kindly peddle your performance to someone gullible enough to believe it.

Solar, I think you only understand being strong. Since you're pushing 40 now I think it's time to get over this, or at least let others be who they are -- different from you!

I'm more of a nurturing person and like to help when I can. I would never mean to help someone who doesn't need it though, or who would tell me not to. I don't like to see a bunch of people going against one because the power imbalance is so unfair...this is power abuse, and the abuse of power is very disturbing to me.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Storii Darkheart said:

This thread has derailed like 3 different times into like 3 different arguments

One of which is not even an "argument" - just someone trying to maintain their mask in the last place that still believes it/condones it.

Edited by Solar Legion

Well there is no solution for Drakeo or the forumites, because there is no absolute right or wrong. As usual, people only think in black and white -- one or the other has to be totally wrong.

Some would find it offensive that a DJ was also posing as a host in order to rake in more money, because they only tip both if they believe these are two separate people.

Others would not find it offensive because they see this all as just a game with multiple avatars and the fun that goes with it.

My take...if a DJ is posing as a host to get more money AND deceiving others in order to achieve this goal....they're a greedy asshat.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.