Tipping hosts/DJs at clubs?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

What are the unspoken rules with paying hosts and DJs at clubs in SL? I get that you tip the DJ after a song request. Do I have to tip for being present for the whole set? Would not tipping after staying the whole time be rude? I want to be a part of clubs but it'd get really costly dropping hundreds of Ls per day.

If you enjoyed it, pay a little if you want.  There is no expectation that you pay anything at all.  I always do if I requested a song but honestly, I rarely do.  I may drop some to the host and DJ but not always.  No one will think any less of you if you choose not to tip.

• Like 7

I never make a request but I always tip something to both the DJ and the host/hostess.  If they're playing really great music, I'll even tip again a few times while I'm there.  There is certainly no obligation to tip and no one should make you feel you should while at their venue, but it's a nice way to show your appreciation for what they do and the costs they incur as well.

Edited by Linda Reddevil
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Mowri Panache said:

L $275 is roughly the cost of a cup of coffee, so i don’t hesitate to tip at least that much for a DJ set since they usually spin for 2 hours. 

That seems like a generous amount!

1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

And sometimes it's tip kissing when staff tip each other. When me or my man DJed, most tipped when a request was played and when they leave the club.  Sometimes if played a long-forgotten song the tip could be bigger.

I've seen the tip kissing a lot. Thank you. This is what I've been doing.

2 hours ago, Linda Reddevil said:

I never make a request but I always tip something to both the DJ and the host/hostess.  If they're playing really great music, I'll even tip again a few times while I'm there.  There is certainly no obligation to tip and no one should make you feel you should while at their venue, but it's a nice way to show your appreciation for what they do and the costs they incur as well.

If I were to do this and come by the club every day I'd lose a lot of money after a while

2 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

If you enjoyed it, pay a little if you want.  There is no expectation that you pay anything at all.  I always do if I requested a song but honestly, I rarely do.  I may drop some to the host and DJ but not always.  No one will think any less of you if you choose not to tip.

Sounds good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As others have said, there are no hard and fast rules. My tipping varies wildly. I have a few favorite clubs, and a few favorite DJs. With them I may not tip for a few visits, because I'm short of cash, but when I do have the L$ I can be quite generous.

If I'm visiting a new place, and I'm there for many songs, and if I enjoyed it, then I will tip — unless someone starts screaming about "show your Linden love" and then I give nothing and probably won't return to the venue.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

What are the unspoken rules with paying hosts and DJs at clubs in SL? I get that you tip the DJ after a song request. Do I have to tip for being present for the whole set? Would not tipping after staying the whole time be rude? I want to be a part of clubs but it'd get really costly dropping hundreds of Ls per day.

Don't worry about it there are no rules and you are not being rude by staying the whole time without tipping or even all day.

Actually you are generating traffic which is something that club owners need for their club to become famous so tip whoever you like as many times as you like or even not at all.

Edited by Nick0678
  • Like 1

If the music is to my liking and everyone is having a good time, I'll tip (my limit is 50L$).

If the DJ or Host/Hostess asks "show some Linden love...", I'll still tip. After all, DJ's and Hosts are basically working for tips. BUT, if they start asking in a bitchy way (a few clubs I've been to have done that, mostly on voice), I refuse to tip. I come to clubs to dance, chat with friends and generally have a good time. Not be scolded into tipping. When that happens, that's my cue to leave and never return.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

I mostly tip the DJs and hosts, but there are some clubs where is only running a stream, no moderator or I must have missed it. I rarely donate there...

I pretty much always tip the DJ & the host.  I hosted in SL myself & greatly appreciated the tips, you are putting in the hours, but I never expected them.   No one is expecting you to tip so if you can't afford it then don't - you can always say "thank you" tho.  🙂  

3 hours ago, Schatzi Timmerman said:

Not be scolded into tipping. When that happens, that's my cue to leave and never return.

ugh - that's just nasty 

• Like 1

A good DJ spent at least 100 USD on software, usually much more.

At least 50 USD on hardware, up to easily more than 500 USD.

They'll often have recurring costs in the form of a stream host and music downloads even if you ignore the extra costs of running a PC setup that can do everything they need to do. Some will have a license they have to renew every year, depending on if they do private functions or not.

Not tipping makes the good DJs quit. Then you're left with poor quality audio and crappy mics on often pirated software that lacks the features or polish of the good stuff.

All worth keeping in mind if you go clubbing a lot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I often wonder about what is considered a proper amount to tip.  For live musicians or DJs I tip anywhere from 200L - 300L.  For sim donations I usually toss in 50L each time I visit.  I am unclear about hosts; 20L, 50L, 100L?  Are the amounts too low, too high?

1 hour ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I often wonder about what is considered a proper amount to tip.  For live musicians or DJs I tip anywhere from 200L - 300L.  For sim donations I usually toss in 50L each time I visit.  I am unclear about hosts; 20L, 50L, 100L?  Are the amounts too low, too high?

Too low or too high might be something that's club- or event-specific. So to find that out: A) perv the tipjar for a while - most of them announce how much just went into the pot and some even announce who gave what to the entire freaking sim or B) ask that club bunny friend of yours who finally managed to drag you along.

Before you get a bit worked up (or self-conscious) about the size of your potential tip, concentrate on being the kind of club-goer that people want to have: low-script, lower-complexity, low-drama and - here's the biggie - enjoying yourself. The first two are technical considerations that really do help the DJ, the host and the venue; the second two are just for fun - yours and everybody around you.

• Like 2

I used to host at Neko Club A but had a friend who hosted at Neko Club B and she came to my set and tipped me 100L. So I felt I had to go to Neko Club B to support her at her set, so I paid her the 100L back. It went on for months - passing each other the same 100L every week, until she had a fight with the owner and quit to become a wedding planner. So finally I could spend the 100L at Razorblade Jacket ☺️

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

As a club owner and host, my view is that no-one should feel obliged to tip and even if you can't do so, the important thing is that you're having a good time and enjoying the event. Maybe one day you'll come back, and maybe next time you'll have a little something to spare. Even small amounts are much appreciated. All my tips go towards paying for the upkeep of the club; land fees and DJ/performer fees, the rest comes out of my own pocket and even a small amount of L$ helps. 

@Eddy Vortex most tips I receive are either L$50 or L$100, in about equal measure. Anything more than L$100 I would consider to be particularly generous.

One of my regulars, who often arrives late, will tip smaller amounts but at intervals throughout the event. It took me a while to figure out why she was doing that but it turned out to be a way of tipping in relation to the time she spent there. I thought that this was a clever idea so it's one I have adopted myself, particularly when I am event-hopping at clubs where I'm not a regular and not necessarily planning to stay for a whole event.

@Rat Luv noooo, my DJs work a lot harder than I do! 😁  And I laughed at the part about trading tips too; I'm a regular at a club owned by one of my DJs so we do the same. 

• Like 4

I DJ and also visit a lot of other clubs, so I can speak to how *I* handle tipping.

When I go somewhere to hear another DJ;

-I tip when I make a song-request, about L200 because this has the DJ taking their eyes off local chat, shuffling a playlist and possibly having to DL a song.

-I tip late in the set. Around L200-300 if it was an average night, “400-600” if it was amazing and around L100 if it was “meh”. A “zero-tip” is kind of a statement and I reserve that for DJ’s who are personally obnoxious to their guests. Lately, that seems to mean DJ’s who *push* RL politics during their set (I come to SL to escape that noise).

-I often tip 50-100 early in a set if the DJ happens to play something I’m sentimental about. I also might toss double-that in if the DJ is new and trying very hard to get their game up 🙂

Note: I have an inworld job that funds my tipping-habits. Times are hard and if someone can’t afford to tip, they should IMHO still be able to come, dance and be welcome.

When I am DJing;

-I expect nothing.

I DJ because I love music and I love the friends I make while I’m out there. If people make a choice to tip me, I’m gratified but I don’t feel the HAVE to.

SL is entertainment and stress-relief for me, the stance I take towards anything I do here is “do it because I like doing it; not because I’m making a living at it”

Peace!

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29554fe64d7831f1a634

Edited by Amanda Crisp
  • Like 3

On 10/6/2020 at 12:07 AM, Ignis Dismantled said:

Depending on how I like the genres, what they are playing, and the vibes...I usually tip a fair amount of anywhere of 25-100L. I try to keep it in my budget but still give a little out if I can! :)

I tip the same amount. Some of these numbers on this thread are surprising! How much is the minimum for tipping after a granted song request?

Edited by Foggypebble Muircastle

18 minutes ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

How much is the minimum for tipping after a granted song request?

I would say, look at your L$ balance before you request a special threatment (or let the DJ go on with his program) if you can't give something extra for his efford, don't request and simply enjoy the party as is.
(If you have nothing to give, you can still ask him, but if you don't explain it to him, he'll remember your name next time)

• Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 12:10 AM, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

Youll be a part of a club, if you manage to join the conversations going on there, and becoming a regular guest. I dont think its related to the money you spend there, at all.
Sometimes i tip 100 LDs , sometimes way more, and sometimes nothing, like when my best friend plays a set, as we have other ways to show our appreciation.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Youll be a part of a club, if you manage to join the conversations going on there, and becoming a regular guest. I dont think its related to the money you spend there, at all.

I personally agree. I would much rather get a 50L tip for a night where everyone is chatting and you have fun, or help a newbie, or make new friends, than 500L where people just IM each other all night and there's no connection. It gets awkward.

The funnest SL job I had was hosting a vampire DJ called Trevor. The owner was never online during our set so we'd just play to a tiny crowd and do stupid stuff that the 'big name' DJs '/ hosts couldn't get away with, like redecorating the club, or letting off sheep particles or only talking through Japanese translators. Actually, no wonder we were unpopular 😂

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.