Do most people stay with the SL day cycle or just set their viewer to noon?

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Orwar actually uses the same one I do, lol (never met anyone else that actually uses it), the ana studio 5. I use that one because it's bright, not problematic for a system with lesser graphic capabilities and generally looks quite pretty, even on my worst days. Plus it makes building easier too, because it lacks all the extra junk.

If I want to take pics, I usually use the atmosphere ones near the top : the 12:00, 13:00 and their corresponding cloudy versions too. I really like those settings for pics. I don't much mess with most others, because I can't really see them and personally I think the vast majority are ugly. That's not a knock on their creators, but is due in large part to the fact that I'm mostly blind, so of course a lot of things look ugly to me, that's a bit of a no brainer, a lot of things in rl look ugly to me too, lol. 

I loathe using region defaults in most cases, because the person that designed them usually didn't design them with people like me in mind (sometimes poor graphics, mostly blind), and I wouldn't expect them to. But the majority of them I have found to be extremely unpleasant for me. Darker settings are impossible for me, regardless of how much my desire to have a brighter atmosphere may offend the person that chose a darker theme for "ambiance". I actually did offend someone once when I mentioned I wasn't using the region setting. I point blank said "I can either change the lighting and see, so I can enjoy the sim, or I can leave, because I can't enjoy it otherwise". They threatened to boot me for offending them, so I left and never returned. That person wasn't alone in the belief that the sim just couldn't be enjoyed without the "proper windlight".

For the same reason, I can't use the day cycle default, either, because it's too dark for roughly half of every 4 hour cycle and that's just too much effort on my part, lol. 

• Like 2

On 8/26/2020 at 1:42 AM, animats said:

Do most users actually stay with the SL day cycle (a 4 hour day, with one hour totally dark) or set their viewer to Midday and stay there? Has that changed since EEP?

Congrats on starting a thread that by page three isn't a political flame war! :) ♥

• I have not used EEP. I've read too much bad about it. I spent a long time learning how to optimize WL. I'm a Luddite and only got around to BOM a little while ago.
  • I'm lazy. I generally use whatever is set on the region. If it is so dark that I can't see anything and I want to see things I'll change the WL.
  • If I'm shopping I generally set to one of Strawberry Singh Linden's headshot WLs. The same if I really need to see what I'm looking at. 
  • Since I have no idea how others are seeing me, and I'm too self-centered to care, how others are seeing me is rarely an issue. Depends on who the "other" is.
  • Photography... so many WL too little time. I have a bazillion loaded, because I've been too lazy to whittle down the list to what I actually use. I have a few old stand-bys but I never use a WL straight out of the can. It is always tweaked. Or I make my own.
  • SL default? What's that? :)
  • Like 3

It's always night time in my SL.  I vary it between Riverrock night and Torley's brighter midnight and other night time but can still see windlights.  I like to look up and see stars and I am usually in SL when it is RL night time and I'm just a little bit goth (don't dress goth much but I prefer the darker side of life)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Congrats on starting a thread that by page three isn't a political flame war! :) ♥

I started this because I'm running the Firestorm EEP beta viewer, and it's too dark most of the time. Some of that is a bug. When EEP was rolled out, the default settings for mainland had diffuse lighting set too low. That's been fixed, but not pushed out to all the mainland regions. Apparently there's no automated way to do that yet.

With darker nights, lighting matters more. If you own mainland and have something open to the public, take a look at your parcel with midnight settings, advanced lighting, and shadows on. If it's a store, and it looks closed, or you can't see the merchandise, it needs more lighting.

I want the range on light projectors increased from 20m so we can have longer range headlights.  It's now too dark to drive without them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/26/2020 at 4:07 AM, BelindaN said:

I prefer sunrise or sunset but it really does depend on what I'm doing. Mid day is a very harsh light but OK for avi work.

Yes I to prefer sunrise or sunset.

On 8/26/2020 at 1:42 AM, animats said:

Do most users actually stay with the SL day cycle (a 4 hour day, with one hour totally dark) or set their viewer to Midday and stay there? Has that changed since EEP?

I really have not used EEP yet, but I tend to change my wind light (is that still a thing?) to something to fit my current mood.

1 hour ago, Tarina Sewell said:

Personally I think that is one of the worst settings... Blotchy avatar skins and horrible lighting..  Not sure why people use this lol

Really? I haven’t had the chance to use the others but I like it when it’s bright haha don’t use it for taking pictures or anything, anything you recommend?

• 3 weeks later...

with firestorm viewer i always kept day cycle midday and ignore all server settings with all builds prior to eep and with the beta eep otherwise i cannot see in world during night with the firestorm viewers

i also disable automatically change environment to use region/parcel settings. incredibly annoying setting that is enabled by default that alters your day cycle setting after you set it to midday and change servers

firestorm eep beta

https://www.firestormviewer.org/firestorm-6-4-5-eep-public-beta/

Edited by iceing Braveheart

i normal change it to midday/midnight if i'm building, (to make sure what i'm building looks good in sl day light as well as night.)but when im at home i use my own window light now, but i use to always change it to what ever time of day it was for me in RL. 

• Like 1

When people say noon, do they mean noon, noon? Like 12 noon with the sun directly on top casting shadows straight down? Or do they mean something like noonish where you are at about 11am or 1am and the shadows are just slightly offset? Do people with noon have shadows turned off or use some special windlight version of noon? Or is it straight up linden lab region noon? I honestly can't understand why someone would choose that.

When I'm building or trying demos or changing my avatar's look, I use Nam's optimal skin and prim. For photography I make my own windlights to suit the pic. When I'm out exploring or at a party I use the region default, unless it's night, then I change it. I hate SL in the dark. Haven't tried EEP yet and I'm not in any hurry to do so.

• Like 1

I use a day cycle unless I'm taking a specific image.

My builds in SL all use lights with my own scripts designed to light up the space when it's dark and an avatar is present in the parcel.

My screenshots where I pick a specific time of day lighting are just as likely to use my 3pm setting as they are to use my 3am one with an added spotlight or 3.

(some of the best lighting works by using 3 spotlights strategically - which is how I do shoots in tools like Daz3d, and sometimes try to recreate with SL.)

A backlight, blend light, and focus light.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.