Jump to content

What are some more of your pet peeves?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

The 2 extra letters are very strenuous to type.  

I'm very surprised that the OP didn't get a group of folks standing on a porch, waving their collective canes at her while shouting, "Get off of my lawn." 

Must have been early in the day and the joints were too creaky for that.

But seriously, yeah, the only excuse for that kind of typing anymore is if you have an old flip phone and have to hit the #9 button three times for the Y, the #6 three times for the O and #8 twice for the U. Yeah, then it is understandable to type "where r u"

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I'm very surprised that the OP didn't get a group of folks standing on a porch, waving their collective canes at her while shouting, "Get off of my lawn." 

Must have been early in the day and the joints were too creaky for that.

But seriously, yeah, the only excuse for that kind of typing anymore is if you have an old flip phone and have to hit the #9 button three times for the Y, the #6 three times for the O and #8 twice for the U. Yeah, then it is understandable to type "where r u"

 

Yeah, no. Not even then.

That absolutely irritating practice got its start thanks to the same limitations Twitter had when it was launched - 160 characters per SMS. Unlike today where systems allow for much longer messages through MMS.

Back then, it was "tolerable" and "understandable" as a way to circumvent the limit .... there is no excuse now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Yeah, no. Not even then.

That absolutely irritating practice got its start thanks to the same limitations Twitter had when it was launched - 160 characters per SMS. Unlike today where systems allow for much longer messages through MMS.

Back then, it was "tolerable" and "understandable" as a way to circumvent the limit .... there is no excuse now.

Since I *do* have an old flip phone (I claim it is being ironically hip), we'll have to disagree there. It does take HOURS to type a simple message with the old "push the button 3 times..." and the invariable mistakes., etc. Seriously, by the time it takes me to text a mid-length message, I might as well have gotten in my car, driven there, and delivered a hand-written note. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

It does take HOURS to type a simple message with the old "push the button 3 times..." and the invariable mistakes., etc.

   I preferred that way of typing to the miniature keyboards on smartphones. I've pretty much stopped texting because of how uncomfortable and inaccurate they are, especially when each button is half the width of a fingertip. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Since I *do* have an old flip phone (I claim it is being ironically hip), we'll have to disagree there. It does take HOURS to type a simple message with the old "push the button 3 times..." and the invariable mistakes., etc. Seriously, by the time it takes me to text a mid-length message, I might as well have gotten in my car, driven there, and delivered a hand-written note. :)

 I've had several cellular phones, ranging from the older flip-phone and early single body types to modern smart phones.

Why do you think the T9-Multitap system was developed? Heck some of those even had rudimentary Predictive text.

Past a certain point there was no need whatsoever to tap on the same button several times to select a letter, number or symbol.

What I cited above is the known, technical limitation of the time - that is not something one can "agree to disagree" over.

What we can agree to disagree over is the laziness that followed once that simple, 160 character limit was no longer an issue.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Orwar said:

   I preferred that way of typing to the miniature keyboards on smartphones. I've pretty much stopped texting because of how uncomfortable and inaccurate they are, especially when each button is half the width of a fingertip. 

There are on screen keyboards that allow you to swap to an old fashioned T9-Multitap layout and functionality.

I use one myself - I find it much faster than plinking out a response with the "full" keyboard or even the swipe through function some of them have.

Edited by Solar Legion
Very minor spelling correction
Link to comment
Share on other sites

   Pet peeve: when you buy a fatpack at an event and they've only included a HUD for the belt of the outfit, when the demo very clearly had a HUD that worked with the whole thing.

   In the last month I've had it happen twice, plus one time the fatpack wasn't even HUD driven but you got a folder with 12 colours each for 4 separate attachments - and of course the black one was mislabeled (though they did send an update after a day or so). 

   You should always check, double-check, and triple-check something before it goes into a vendor. Mistakes happens, but I'm getting pretty sick and tired of writing notecards to creators to point out that they've gone screwed up something as simple as looking at the contents of their box before whamming it into a vendor and smacking a price tag on it - it will make me hesitate to buy from them again.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Orwar Agree.

A very popular $$ woman's clothing line often has items up at "events" and soon after the group is bombarded with fixes to the glitches. This is not a one-off thing, but frequent. That makes me wonder how much attention they are paying to their items before whamming it into a vender and smacking a price tag on it. However, the promptness of the corrections and the overall good quality customer service (the oldbie designer is still active in the grid and group) will keep me buying way too much of her stuff. :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really wish we'd get style info on ads. If not in the actual package of what we buy then in the freaking ads on the designers Flickr page.  I bought a really cute cap yesterday, and I'm damned if I can find a hair in my inventory that works well with it. I'd buy the hair in the cap's ad in a heartbeat but alas, I haven't a clue what it is.

People have griped about getting bombarded with crap when they arrive in a region. I'm peeved about getting bombarded with crap when I attach a thing to my hud to accept a purchased item. A flood of group and blogger and god knows what else garbage splatters my screen? I'd better REALLY like what I just bought or I won't purchase from them again. And all of the extras in the folder??? A landmark, usually outdated. I delete. Three notecards: one to tell me I purchased something and don't copybot it. One to tell me I purchased something. Another one a gratuitous thank you for that something I just purchased. I roll my eyes and delete. I *do* want an ad, or a texture or something that shows me wtf it is. I do NOT want every texture ever produced that shows the item.

Peeve: NEW items from shops that still are in a frikking box that you have to rez on the frikking ground! It is 2020 people! At least do a wearable box that you click. I do like the stores that are cute about the wearables. I giggle at the ones that I wear and I get into a cute pose, or one designer I like has you twirling around and doing a happy dance that you bought something. One designer had a funny box rez on my head. DO keep doing that. Also, if I have to rez it on the ground then the container should be something I like so much that I want to keep the BOX out on display.

Maybe if I'd stop shopping so much I wouldn't have these peeves.

I'm peeved at the amount I have been shopping. I'm poor, ffs, I should act like it. :)

ETA: Yebbit (other angel on other shoulder) my new stuff is soooooo cute. I look adorable, and if you don't look TOO closely you can't see the stray hairs poking through the cap (and no I couldn't select a face of the hair and make it transparent... I tried. I ain't no noob!)

 

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Orwar said:

   I preferred that way of typing to the miniature keyboards on smartphones. I've pretty much stopped texting because of how uncomfortable and inaccurate they are, especially when each button is half the width of a fingertip. 

The serious upside to being a misanthropic orphan (my entire family is dead, and mostly: good riddance)? I live in solitary confinement. That means: I do not text! Not often! Of course I have. But... ugh, just ugh. I had a fancy smart phone and yes, the texting that way was only slightly better imho, but I *hate* the press press press, get one letter... ooops it was the wrong letter. Redo. press press pr... damnit!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of my friends told me this peeve, since he was a Lab staff and the one that told me about SL.  He would go to a club to listen to some tunes (while doing paperwork or whatever) and although he could listen in peace, there were times he would get a PM or 3 to fix this, do that. Those times he would bail. 

I actually witnessed that when I was still running my club where a Linden was enjoying a live performer.  He PMed me saying he wanted to stay, but was getting bothered.  At that point I put in local chat to let the guy enjoy the tunes and lodge tickets on the website. After that he was left alone and only got one PM asking where he got his outfit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

"U" and "UR" are NOT words.......... and most especially do not belong in a thread title.

I remember back when I first ventured into the scary world that was online chatting and saw the demon that is "text speak".  My brain is not wired to deal with it and I had to read it out loud to understand wtf people were saying.

Also for the longest time I couldn't work out what a "neone" was...until one day it clicked...ANYONE! 

ONE LETTER!!!  YOU CONFUSED THE FUDGE OUT OF ME TO SAVE YOURSELF TYPING ONE CHARACTER????

Edited by Jordan Whitt
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

"neone"

   Ach, aye s'a tough one'ae be readin' wh'n'a folks be writin' all lazy like, s'jus'n'ae good 'n proper. Aa'v'n'ae gott'n'ae'dae 'ow'na folks be 'nae learin'a be communicatin' wi'v claritae 'n such, s'tha' whoo'l point'a be writin' if ye kin'ae be n'derstood, eh?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And next peeve.

Most creators label things wonderfully, allowing you to move items into one folder if you buy a dress in two or more colours, for example.

IE:  Store Name - Item Name - Body Type - Colour

But then there are the ones who do not do this and you end up with either multiple folders for the same dress, or everything in one folder and have to play lucky dip to find the colour you want to wear.

IE: Store Name - Item Name - Body Type (no mod)

When you are an obsessive compulsive Virgo like I am who likes everything orderly and in one folder per item - THIS IS PEEVING!!!!

Edited by Jordan Whitt
added the "no mod" to add to my peeving!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Orwar said:

   Ach, aye s'a tough one'ae be readin' wh'n'a folks be writin' all lazy like, s'jus'n'ae good 'n proper. Aa'v'n'ae gott'n'ae'dae 'ow'na folks be 'nae learin'a be communicatin' wi'v claritae 'n such, s'tha' whoo'l point'a be writin' if ye kin'ae be n'derstood, eh?

 

giphy (1).gif

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

When you are an obsessive compulsive Virgo like I am who likes everything orderly and in one folder per item - THIS IS PEEVING!!!!

 

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

We Virgos are meticulous, not OC. 

Don't slap me! I'm just saying! escape.gif.77f254744395a7a42f1a6a92403bfb6f.gif

 

This explains much...........

 

 

/me is a virgo too

 

 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a peeve update:

The people at dirty.pretty decided not to close everything. While my home at Erebos, and all of Erebos Harbor, will be gone (and I have already left), I got one helluva surprise this afternoon. I was offered by d.p. an alternative, and I now have as close to my old place as I could get. Even down to the same house floor plan. The setting is similar but also very different.

I'm thrilled.

omg... an actual good thing happened.

Thanks Julz. ♥♥♥

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...