What are some more of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If the previous way too public drama from the previous tacky that was deleted a few weeks ago is now going to jump from thread to thread, that is going to be a huge, huge peeve. And nauseating.

ETA: Now possibly sees a previous post from Jordan in a new light.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Why is it that history -- and not just in the West, by any means -- is just replete with instances of women having to deform, break, constrain, augment, amputate, and decorate our bodies to make us more attractive to men? Heels, and the very real pain (and potential knee osteoarthritis) that they cause are really only a mild instance of what we've been doing forever. Corsets, foot binding, modern plastic surgery, depilation, even dieting and certain kinds of exercise . . . it's all about the same thing. (And don't even get me started on FGM).

Great, now we gotta bind your feet for asking. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Why oh why is it that people will ignore notices/notes on Blog comment sections? The TPV I use clearly has it marked when you're typing out your comment that they do not and cannot offer Support through their Blog comments ... Yet people not only continue to seek support there, they get downright confrontational when told the avenue they're trying to use is not for Support ....

• Like 1

Another day another shopping peeve!

So yesterday, many of you know, SL was borkened seventeen ways to Sunday. Caspervend didn't work. It was chaos. I learned about this early but not early enough, and I went to (can't name the place I guess, so I will make up a name... let's see... Buttock-y Legume will do...) and bought a piece of outdoor furniture. The process took my L$ but not surprisingly because of the glitches, I did not get my item.

I waited until well after the glitch storm settled and went to the Redelivery Terminal. Nope, the item wasn't showing as purchased. I did this several times before writing a simple notecard to the designer of BL. In the past, this is all that has ever been required from OTHER stores. A designer understands and sends the item. I have been lucky over the years and designers have bent over backwards to be terrific when I have been polite and sent them clear information (which I always do).

I did get a reply back.

I have to "submit a ticket" and a link was given to an Internet site. There I have to CREATE AN ACCOUNT, including an email address, agree to the Euro privacy laws, and then fill out a ticket.

Are you effing kidding me????? I did it, because I spent L$ and have my account info as proof, and I'd like the item. But this is horrendous. This is being waaaaaaay too big for your britches in your own mind. This stinks.

The designer received and presumably read the NC I sent inworld, enough to understand to send me a link to the "ticket" place. I specified the item (by cut and pasting my account info), how hard is it to just send me the damn item and be done with it????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

Why oh why is it that people will ignore notices/notes on Blog comment sections? The TPV I use clearly has it marked when you're typing out your comment that they do not and cannot offer Support through their Blog comments ... Yet people not only continue to seek support there, they get downright confrontational when told the avenue they're trying to use is not for Support ....

I know exactly which TPV you are referring to. It's no consolation knowing that has been going on on the blog since day one. People do not listen and they don't care. Then they wonder why the world is so effed up.

And yes, those last two sentences are a huge peeve for me.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I know exactly which TPV you are referring to. It's no consolation knowing that has been going on on the blog since day one. People do not listen and they don't care. Then they wonder why the world is so effed up.

And yes, those last two sentences are a huge peeve for me.

Heh, you can probably guess which comments there are from me.

3 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Heh, you can probably guess which comments there are from me.

LOL! I haven't read that blog in years. I don't need to to know what is going on. I saw it all years ago and it has never changed. I wouldn't expect it to either, but, yes I probably could tell it's you if I were to go looking. lol

19 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

Ironic juxtaposition in my browser when I opened this link:

image.png.dd1765b4f24864da97d73462930999e2.png

I do have to say I love those red heels! (I actually love heels, and do not GAF about attracting men in SL or IRL, lol.

Edited by CaerolleClaudel
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

/me makes a hurried adjustment to Scylla's holiday present which was

(and if you'll note, these are not SL products, but RL)

image.png.544f488d7856fea6db0290004ad17511.png

No, wait. I won't cancel. I'll just keep for myself. :::swoons::: (and wobbles)

Slave heels! I have never worn these IRL, but have spent a lot of time wearing them in SL. Training them is not much fun, takes a lot of patience.

Edited by CaerolleClaudel
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

/me hugs her flat-soled boots tightly to her

I agree with everything you said, and am of course fine with you loving your flat-soled boots, but to me it does depend on the shoes. I don't find the right heels, even with small tips, that uncomfortable, and I wear something like this a lot IRL and find them fine, even when I have to do a lot of walking at work:

Canaly Platform Combat Boot

I have other boots that are more mainstream, not dressy, just casual, that have higher clunky heels like this and find them comfortable, too. A couple young women I work with have the same, and have told me they find them fine for walking long distances, too (I did not take a random survey, was walking what we call 'The Gerbil Tube' with a young coworker, who was going to have to walk between our site and another site because our gold cart was broken, and asked her about her shoes).

My point being, I agree with your points, and agree that a lot of women find most (or all) heels painful and should not have to suffer for the sake of what others want them to wear, but some of us like heels and wear them solely (little pun for ya there, lol) because we like them. In fact, I find it a lot easier to squat down and work on stuff in heels because the heel gives me support and balance (which also works fine with short tight skirts but usually leads to me almost falling when wearing long skirts because I step on the hemline when I try to stand up).

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Why is it that history -- and not just in the West, by any means -- is just replete with instances of women having to deform, break, constrain, augment, amputate, and decorate our bodies to make us more attractive to men? Heels, and the very real pain (and potential knee osteoarthritis) that they cause are really only a mild instance of what we've been doing forever. Corsets, foot binding, modern plastic surgery, depilation, even dieting and certain kinds of exercise . . . it's all about the same thing. (And don't even get me started on FGM).

Do you still see a woman in high heels in RL and think "that's a sexy woman" even though you're aware of all the damage high heels cause? Or do you hold the dual awareness in mind that much of society sees a woman in high heels as attractive but you do not.  Did you ever hold society's opinion (brainwashing) in mind at one time and remember when it changed? 
I don't think I ever thought a woman in high heels looked sexy although I realized society did. And since becoming aware that high heels harm women I feel almost repulsed when I see a woman in heels -- it looks almost as strange to me as the pic of the man in heels I posted.

I had a dear Women's Studies teacher who felt ashamed because she could not kick the habit of wearing high heels. She grew up in an era when high heels were especially valued. She was always berating herself about it, wishing she could change. Sadly I learned she died this year, and I'm left wondering if she ever overcame her love of high heels.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Like Lil, I've seen research like this before.

Interesting question, though -- given that wearing heels in SL does not actually change the shape of the spine or legs, or change the way we walk, does it still have a measurable impact on how "attractive" we seem to men?

One possibility is that heels have become "coded" to mean sexually attractive or even "available," so that even when the actual physiological effect is absent, it still "means" these things.

90% or more of the time in SL I wear flats of one sort or another (most usually calf boots, probably). It would be interesting to mix that up, and see if it makes a difference. (Not that I actually want more men to approach me.)

I can guarantee that wearing heels in SL does have an impact. It's interesting how women's feet affect us, but it seems cultural. I find the look of the old Chinese practice of foot binding repulsive, yet I love the look of a woman in heels. I'm sure that works in the opposite direction as well. I literally could not be involved with a woman who never wore heels. It doesn't mean full time. Occasionally is fine. Both my RL and SL wife have an extensive collection.  Just my two cents worth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Bagnu said:

I can guarantee that wearing heels in SL does have an impact. It's interesting how women's feet affect us, but it seems cultural. I find the look of the old Chinese practice of foot binding repulsive, yet I love the look of a woman in heels. I'm sure that works in the opposite direction as well. I literally could not be involved with a woman who never wore heels. It doesn't mean full time. Occasionally is fine. Both my RL and SL wife have an extensive collection.  Just my two cents worth.

Can you remember when you began finding women in high heels attractive?

25 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Can you remember when you began finding women in high heels attractive?

Before birth lol!!! Seriously, it goes back far before puberty. I didn't even know what a sexual turn on was or meant. 

• Like 1

I love my heels. I can walk in them, dance in them, hula hoop in them. 

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

I had a dear Women's Studies teacher who felt ashamed because she could not kick the habit of wearing high heels. She grew up in an era when high heels were especially valued. She was always berating herself about it, wishing she could change. Sadly I learned she died this year, and I'm left wondering if she ever overcame her love of high heels.

I hope that wherever she is, she has a walk in cupboard full of them and she dances in them all night.

I love high heels and ankle straps. I don't wear them for men, I wear them for me because I just love how I feel in them. I've impressed people by how well I walk and dance in them, an elderly lady once stopped me to compliment me on my outfit and how well I walked in my heels. I do find by the end of the night I usually have to take them off but I've got those plastic folding shoes in my bag to slip into. I don't wear them often, certainly not when I'm doing the school run or weekly food shop, but when I wear them, I bloody wear them.

When this crappy pandemic is over and I can go out for the night, I'm wearing them.

• Like 5

Peeve: People/designers/stores who seem to be unaware that their ad art is there to, oh, I dunno, tempt people to buy?

So, PRO TIP: Don't do overly tilted photos because "it is cool in the blogs". It isn't cool in the blogs and I don't feel like standing on my head to see the photo.

Don't overly photoshop effects. Sure you can do that soft focus, no contrast, blurry, thing. But if I can't tell wtf I'm looking at I won't click. And that 3D glasses effect (That has a specific name I forgot)? Where the image is slightly duplicated and there are color auras around each. Are you effing kidding me?

Black on black photos with bad lighting.

Getting the :::cough::: picture here you morons? Show your product clearly!

And don't use circa 2009 system avatars either.

And morphing with RL, especially on skins or makeup... as has been mentioned many times here before: that's a pretty big red flag your stuff is crap.

And you kids, over there, back on my lawn???? :::shakes cane:::

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

To clarify, I don't know if my SL wife wears heels in RL or not. It's irrelevant to our relationship in SL. I certainly wouldn't walk out on her if she told me she didn't. My RL wife doesn't much anymore, and I wouldn't walk out on her for that.

• Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.