What are some more of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

49 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

If you're set to "see friends only" then... that's my pet peeve. :) Well, only if you are then routinely smashing into people, or me, otherwise I don't care.

If, however, you are talking about just randomly bumping into people as they and you are rezzing or something, yeah, I don't know why people lead with then attacking others in IM. And they do.

As for me, lately I've been putting messages in local at various events where I TP and can't HELP but land on, push through, push over people because the asshats are just standing there. I've watched the pileup, and a few move, but most don't. So lately I've just been posting a PRO TIP: Move over and do your cam shopping somewhere NOT on the landing area, you morons.

Or something to that effect. :D

Funny thing, probably because no one reads local or, hell, even reads anything: No one has snarked back at me. LoL. I *have* gotten a couple of IMs where people high five me and LoL.

I've stopped being annoyed at people who won't step aside from landing points.  Instead, I just yell out, "Oh hey! We're playing Tetris pile up!  Let's see if we can reach the sky! Wheee!" Then someone had to come along and invent the landing sweeper to take the fun out of it. (haha)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just saw an ad for a pair of sneakers that come in Flat, High (on the balls of your feet) and Pointy (on the tippy-toe).

I will say that High ones do not look as stupid as the tippy-toe ones (since these are not ballet shoes) and walking on the balls of the feet would definitely be far more comfortable than walking on the tips of my toes.

24 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Just saw an ad for a pair of sneakers that come in Flat, High (on the balls of your feet) and Pointy (on the tippy-toe).

I will say that High ones do not look as stupid as the tippy-toe ones (since these are not ballet shoes) and walking on the balls of the feet would definitely be far more comfortable than walking on the tips of my toes.

This article explains a lot.

https://www.zerxza.com/fashion-beauty/why-do-men-like-women-in-high-heels/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

I had read something about that years ago. 

I was thinking though - it would require some damn good calf muscles to walk around on the balls of your feet all day, without an actual heel to support part of your weight.  Thus I give kudos to women that can manage that.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

Like Lil, I've seen research like this before.

Interesting question, though -- given that wearing heels in SL does not actually change the shape of the spine or legs, or change the way we walk, does it still have a measurable impact on how "attractive" we seem to men?

One possibility is that heels have become "coded" to mean sexually attractive or even "available," so that even when the actual physiological effect is absent, it still "means" these things.

90% or more of the time in SL I wear flats of one sort or another (most usually calf boots, probably). It would be interesting to mix that up, and see if it makes a difference. (Not that I actually want more men to approach me.)

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I was thinking though - it would require some damn good calf muscles to walk around on the balls of your feet all day, without an actual heel to support part of your weight.  Thus I give kudos to women that can manage that.

Think of Jennifer Beals in Flashdance.  She did a couple of routines in tennis shoes on her tiptoes, IIRC.  Or was that Jennifer Grey in Dirty Dancing?  I get them mixed up.  Anyway ... one of them was tippytoes in tennis shoes.

And they both have great calf muscles.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 3

Not specifically aimed at anyone on these forum boards, but it did remind me of this peeve, which has visited me frequently over the years.

You know how it is, a friend or someone you know has a nasty break up with their sig other and you are there for them - offering support, being a shoulder, wiping away tears and being on their team, not team douchebag!  For hours, days or weeks you listen whilst they are starring in their drama and no matter how sick of the whining you are, you stay supportive and do everything you can to help them - give them an alt and rent a home for them to hide out on, don't judge or tell them to just "harden up soft rooster" - YOU ARE SUPPORTIVE despite the fact it goes against your nature or better judgment and has you wanting to jump off a cliff!

Then you see them right back where they started...back with the ex, like nothing happened - no drama, no heartbreak - it's like it never happened!!!

And you are left feeling stupid because you shouldn't have bothered wasting your time.

I hate that feeling.  It peeves me.

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Think of Jennifer Beals in Flashdance.  She did a couple of routines in tennis shoes on her tiptoes, IIRC.  Or was that Jennifer Grey in Dirty Dancing?  I get them mixed up.  Anyway ... one of them was tippytoes in tennis shoes.

Not, obviously, targeting you directly, but . . .

Why is it that history -- and not just in the West, by any means -- is just replete with instances of women having to deform, break, constrain, augment, amputate, and decorate our bodies to make us more attractive to men? Heels, and the very real pain (and potential knee osteoarthritis) that they cause are really only a mild instance of what we've been doing forever. Corsets, foot binding, modern plastic surgery, depilation, even dieting and certain kinds of exercise . . . it's all about the same thing. (And don't even get me started on FGM).

Body modification, when it is about oneself and one's own identity, is fine. But honestly, this pandering crap has to stop.

Pet Peeve: Being told I have to screw up my body because of social conditioning that says I'm not sexually attractive enough as I am.

/me hugs her flat-soled boots tightly to her

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Not, obviously, targeting you directly, but . . .

Nah, I know that.  No argument here.  I was just pointing out for L'il benefit that dancers are on tiptoes a lot, and they do have great calves. I suppose if you wanted to spend your SL hours dancing, you might justify getting a pair of tiptoe tennis shoes.  I can't think of any other good reasons to buy them, though.  Just sayin'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Dirty Dancing - I still remember him constantly telling her not to put her heel down.  

Ballroom dancing does require the woman to be on the balls of her feet most of the time.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, when I was little, before I started kindergarten because I don't remember getting abuse for it...

For over a year I *only* walked on my tip toes. I had glass high heel slippers.

And yes, I have great calf muscles.

:::Cool story bro. Next time with dragons, though!:::

(I wonder why I stopped.)

(And I love high heels)

Edited by Seicher Rae
to type ALL the words... details
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

/me makes a hurried adjustment to Scylla's holiday present which was

(and if you'll note, these are not SL products, but RL)

image.png.544f488d7856fea6db0290004ad17511.png

No, wait. I won't cancel. I'll just keep for myself. :::swoons::: (and wobbles)

Oh dear god . . . my feet and legs hurt just looking at those.

I was watching, a while ago, a documentary about York Minster Cathedral (hosted by Alice Roberts, an osteoarcheologist who rocks vivid red hair, calf boots, and leather jackets), and she was talking to the Dean of the cathedral, an older woman, about the installation, in 2015, of Libby Lane, the first woman bishop in the Church of England there. The Dean described how exciting this was for her, as a woman, and how she nearly gave a whoop of joy when she saw that the soon-to-be anointed bishop was wearing stilettos under her clerical robes . . .

In some quarters, heels are actually a symbol of women's empowerment, and not just sexually.

I might be more inclined to think so myself were they not so frickin' uncomfortable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I loved high heels (in RL) when I was a bit younger, but not so much anymore. 

I do still love wearing them in SL (most of the time, anyway), but I WANT AN ACTUAL FREAKIN HEEL (but not those torture thingies Seicher posted).

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Um yeah, those ballet heels might just be considered a :::cough::: fetish item, or at least a kink. (Wonder which or how many words will get **** out and I'll have to edit.)

New shopping event, new peeve: I'm looking at you Fameshed! The official LM from the group took me to the 2ndary, off site, region. Fine. They have a big clearly marked area of SIM CROSSING that you can walk across. I did.

Only to be met by a SOLID, all the way around, frikkin HEDGE which was NOT set to phantom. It is also a no fly zone.

Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

Luckily my jump AO puts me pretty far up in the air, and like with the grace of GiGi (that is not really a compliment), I vaulted the hedge. But... why? No breaks in it? Set to solid? FFS...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

It is also a no fly zone.

Firestorm Advanced Menu -- enable 'Fly Override'.  As long as that is done before entering any No Fly parcel, you'll still be able to fly and for the short time it would take to get over a hedge, likely nobody would even notice.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Firestorm Advanced Menu -- enable 'Fly Override'.  As long as that is done before entering any No Fly parcel, you'll still be able to fly and for the short time it would take to get over a hedge, likely nobody would even notice.

Well, yeah. Jumping didn't require me to open a menu. :P  LoL

Yes, yes I am just that lazy! Stop judging.

The main point was: WTF with the solid hedge around a sim you can walk into and people want you to spend money.

NEW new peeve: I am an unreliable narrator to myself. I tell myself "no more shopping. you are done. you are broke. you have a ton of crap in your inventory" and yet...

here I am griping and peeving about Fameshed. :/

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

NEW new peeve: I am an unreliable narrator to myself. I tell myself "no more shopping. you are done. you are broke. you have a ton of crap in your inventory" and yet...

here I am griping and peeving about Fameshed. :/

Just do what I do....convince yourself you are supporting the SL economy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

given that wearing heels in SL does not actually change the shape of the spine or legs, or change the way we walk, does it still have a measurable impact on how "attractive" we seem to men?

I think it is true that guys just associate high heels with sexiness. so they like seeing them in SL. I wear them in SL because I like to have a short avatar, but still have my head above the typical guys waist. Hells lift my feet up off the ground and so raise my head as well.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

I think it is true that guys just associate high heels with sexiness. so they like seeing them in SL. I wear them in SL because I like to have a short avatar, but still have my head above the typical guys waist. Hells lift my feet up off the ground and so raise my head as well.

It's not really a matter of association. We just simply find the look sexy. It doesn't mean, to me anyways, that a woman is more willing to have sex than if she were wearing flats. It can be quite the opposite from My RL experiences.

Edited by Bagnu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.