What are some more of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

Filled 2 carts already at AF and my eyes are tired so I'll have to pick up where I left off after a good night's sleep.

This sub thread is cracking me up. It is funny af (get it? get it?) I nearly fell asleep in PIxicat and their sale is only 50% off. And yes, asleep inworld at the store. Diligence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was wondering what y'all were on about, about "filling" carts. I shrugged and didn't think too much more about it. Oh. Huh. A Mktpl shopping cart can hold no more than 10 items at a time. I had no idea. However long Mktpl has been around I have never had a full cart. Ever. Like "who knew?" there was a limit.

It is kinda easy at AF, with the clutter items and the *free* items. But I'm so zonked I have to go inworld and determine which cushions I have and which would look good where, and hm, maybe a side chair for the houseboat isn't a bad idea but I do have that one from junk, and gosh I wish that store hadn't closed and... someone inworld today said my babbling chat was adorable. Let's leave it at that. Adorable... chatting... cushions... sleep... but...

• Like 2

Peeve:  Waking up to tons of emails about rl BF sales from stores I know I unsubscribed from last time they spammed me with tons of unwanted emails.  Spamming me so much works in the complete opposite way to what they intend.  I will never buy from you again.  

(I am sure I peeved this just a few weeks ago too)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Gatogateau said:

Adorable... chatting... cushions... sleep... but...

Gigi, be careful.

This is not a pastime for the weak or undisciplined.

They are ruthless and stony-hearted, however much they may like your prattle. Keep your shield up, your visor down, and your spear at the ready.

I don't want to find myself carrying your bloodied body from the field at Pixicat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gatogateau said:

Yeah, AppleFall is kind of an amazing bunch.

Pet peeve. Creators who become really popular because their stuff looks pretty, when the meshes and textures are unnecessarily complex and high resolution, but people either don't know or don't care. They have teacups that require more VRAM to render, than my entire skybox build. That's impressively poor quality.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

Pet peeve. Creators who become really popular because their stuff looks pretty, when the meshes and textures are unnecessarily complex and high resolution, but people either don't know or don't care. They have teacups that require more VRAM to render, than my entire skybox build. That's impressively poor quality.

they know, the just dont care how it might affect your performance on your possible potato of a machine. they more than likely made it on a higher end pc that could handle it with little to no problems. so went for as complex and detailed as they could for the better eye candy effect.

not every creator or avatar wearer cares about arc or complexity and never will either. i have seen avatars with complexities near 1,000,000 before and when told, they didnt care at all. It looks good on their screen and that is all that matters, not if others can see it too.

@Orwar sometimes it is a mixture of not knowing and not caring. Sometimes it is the appreciation of something beautiful and when used on your own region/house personal area then... ppppth. Sure, if something can be made more efficiently then, ok. Also I don't know if all of the items are new or old or what the story is.

My comment you quoted about "amazing" was more like what they do for their customers. Setting everything, literally everything to $L50 is wonderful. They also do a pretty generous "who was here on Monday" promo. Their customer service is good. Their responsiveness in group chat is good. I'm not a slavish fangurl but I do buy their stuff and I've never been anything more than pleased and... well, eff the complexity. 

And yeah, to the other one... sometimes it is eff your potato of a machine. Boo hoo. My computer is old but was awesome in its day (it is a hand-me-down) and so it still functions pretty well. I realize though that some have better machines. Whoop dee doo. The whole world isn't a frikkin conspiracy... and for people who actually know me, they might find it at least worth an eye brow raise to read me typing this.

Pet peeve: People who just suck the very oxygen and energy out of a room by merely appearing. That is NOT about you Orwar. Philosophically maybe there isn't a big, over-arching "point" to it all, but that doesn't then equate logically into "tear it all down and make everyone miserable for your own selfish, childish whims."   I very truthfully walked into this thread just now, just starting on my first cup of coffee, not really in a good or bad mood. In one or two post readings it is like being physically gut punched and having all of the air knocked out of me. Energy vampire isn't even close to an accurate description.  I see no point to THAT.

It is so insanely pervasive as to be unable to avoid and stay in the room. Again, and not said in the normally quipping manner I usually say it: This is why we can't have nice things.

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

... i have seen avatars with complexities near 1,000,000 before and when told, they didnt care at all. It looks good on their screen and that is all that matters, not if others can see it too.

True. But ACI has had an impact. 

When I first set my ACI limit at 150k there were plenty of Jelly-Dolls to be seen. I had LOTS of outfits in the 100k+ range and had to modify some to get them below 150k.

Now I am surprised if an outfit comes together above 80k. I only see the occasional Jelly-Doll, unless I am running Black Dragon.

So I believe the ACI-million avatars are rare. I also believe those people who totally do not care are a minority. I also think many of us are on a sliding scale between looks and efficiency. Some set there ACI limit at 50k and others at unlimited. The rest of us are somewhere in between. I think we are the majority. 

There are special occasions and photo ops where people consider appearance more important. But I suspect most residents have some personal balance of appearance and ACI.

I very seldom see designers turning out high ACI products... well the body and head people are exceptions. But even they have been pressured to do better.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

When I first set my ACI limit at 150k there were plenty of Jelly-Dolls to be seen. I had LOTS of outfits in the 100k+ range and had to modify some to get them below 150k.

Now I am surprised if an outfit comes together above 80k. I only see the occasional Jelly-Doll, unless I am running Black Dragon.

So I believe the ACI-million avatars are rare. I also believe those people who totally do not care are a minority. I also think many of us are on a sliding scale between looks and efficiency. Some set there ACI limit at 50k and others at unlimited. The rest of us are somewhere in between. I think we are the majority. 

There are special occasions and photo ops where people consider appearance more important. But I suspect most residents have some personal balance of appearance and ACI.

I very seldom see designers turning out high ACI products... well the body and head people are exceptions. But even they have been pressured to do better.

pressured doesn't mean they will change. some creators do not care and wont ever, same as some users. Not everyone here cares how their actions impact on others even if told about it or asked why they do it. they may be the few but they exist and always will.

to some people this is all about them and they don't care if others are having the same level of fun or enjoyment. and no amount of complaining or explaining to them will change them either.

and that is what my point is about. Not everyone cares or will or has to because someone else thinks they should. and nothing said or done will change it. even boycotting their store wont change it, for others will still go and buy because of the eye candy.

Peeve: Asshats who whine and complain about people peeving... in a peeve thread, while having the highest post count in said "annoying" thread. 

Peeve: Cognitive dissonance

Peeve: Asshats, because of their asshattedness, who abuse moderation with the only goal to get perfectly fine threads shut down

Peeve: A moderation system that allows for that abuse

Peeve: Someone stupidly perverse and childish who pretends not to know the difference between short, friendly off topic side threads that are inherent in a friendly community (there's the concept they can't/won't abide) and relentless, multi-thread, agenda driven BS off topic bullies whose sole purpose appears to be to shut down threads and/or cause dumpster fires

Peeve: A moderation system that allows for that

Edited by Gatogateau
need moar coffee before typing
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

There needs to be noted there is a difference between buying something high complexity for your own use on your own personal spot, such as @Orwar 's example of a high complexity tea cup for no good reason, and the uncaring wearing of laggy scripts or outfits in public.  As much as they were grumbled about, the jelly dolls did help alert people.

Someone's buying a pretty tea cup to set on their own window sill isn't on the same level as going to a busy shopping event dripping in god knows what.

Also, if the pretty items are going to be used in an area intended for public use, then paying more attention to needless complexity is more important if you want the area to be seen as intended by more people.

Like you, over the years, I have seen the numbers dropping on my own outfits and I rarely see jelly dolls, even in Black Dragon. In fact I sometimes make the concerted effort to lower my viewer limit so that I do see more jelly dolls!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Peeve: Asshats who whine and complain about people peeving... in a peeve thread, while having the highest post count in said "annoying" thread. 

Peeve: Cognitive dissonance

Peeve: Asshats, because of their asshattedness, use moderation to get perfectly fine threads shut down

Peeve: Someone to stupidly perverse and childish who pretends not to know the difference between short, friendly off topic side threads that are inherent in a friendly community (there's the concept they can't/won't abide) and relentless, multi-thread, agenda driven BS off topic bullies whose sole purpose appears to be to shut down threads and/or cause dumpster fires

off topic is off topic.. period. You want to complain about when things go off topic then it applies to everything and everyone in that topic. side banter is still off topic. 

its by the graciousness of the mods that its allowed to go as far as it does. they don't even have to allow that if they wanted to be strict as they could be about staying on topic. So be grateful they do allow side banter at times instead of complaining about it, thinking that it has to only go how you want all the time.

my post count means nothing to me.. sad if you think it does.

peeve/rant threads are pointless and a waste of space, they do nothing to improve anything but let sad people stroke their ego about what they dont like and think others have to care about it or be nice or agree with them in the thread or else they are just a bully or troll.. pathetic.

everyone including me is allowed to express their feelings here even if it is in disagreeance with others. I dont have to agree and I dont have to shut up if I dont agree.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold

31 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Someone's buying a pretty tea cup to set on their own window sill isn't on the same level as going to a busy shopping event dripping in god knows what.

Yes, this.

In fact, 99% of what I buy in the way of furnishings, doodads, and tea cups stays safely in my inventory until I pull it out, generally pretty briefly, for a picture. And then it goes away again.

I do have an AF house with (some) furnishings out semi-permanently -- on a platform at 3000m up, where it is unlikely to cause much trouble to passers-by. That too is essentially a glorified photo backdrop.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

But not all of their stuff has tons of triangles and/or high resolution textures.  If one knows what to look for, with the entire store at 50L, then one can still get some great bargains on decent stuff.

• Like 4

Peeve: IRL get up, throw on clean underwear and a dress. Yeah, a dress. It is one piece of cloth and therefore less effort than pants and a top. Comb hair, put it in a low ponytail. Basic hygiene in there somewhere. Total time spent, including brushing teeth, maybe 10 minutes? tops.

SL: log on. Undress the cute outfit from the previous days. Find a jumper (which is not a sweater here in the States, but a dress with a top under it). Fiddle with color, trim HUD. Done. Keep the same panties on since... ever. Rummage around to find those boots I want. I know they are there. Damn, what is the name? Find those. Fiddle with HUD for socks that peek out of the top. Decide the outfit needs a bracelet. Rummage. Swear. Rummage. Fiddle with the fit, and why isn't the resizer working? Decide I want to have the Tram hair with the two circle pigtails. Tram only numbers their hair. Which T01480c8r4 effing is it? Fiddle with color and fit HUD. Decide the bow is over the top, find and fiddle with bow HUD. Check that teeth and eyeballs haven't been knocked off in the dressing process (why does this keep happening? rhetorical). Total time spent, well over an hour.

ETA: I did NOT change any makeup or tats or... if I had the time spent would have been greatly increased.

This is a report from Seicher, as for me, the cat: Both worlds, awake/rez, lick butt for 5 minutes. Meow. Done.

Too lazy for a photo, this is from using the MS clipping tool, to show that this is a true story, bro.

image.thumb.png.facb9bf315b93a87c2c56fec7c2b1718.png

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Peeve: IRL get up, throw on clean underwear and a dress. Yeah, a dress. It is one piece of cloth and therefore less effort than pants and a top. Comb hair, put it in a low ponytail. Basic hygiene in there somewhere. Total time spent, including brushing teeth, maybe 10 minutes? tops.

SL: log on. Undress the cute outfit from the previous days. Find a jumper (which is not a sweater here in the States, but a dress with a top under it). Fiddle with color, trim HUD. Done. Keep the same panties on since... ever. Rummage around to find those boots I want. I know they are there. Damn, what is the name? Find those. Fiddle with HUD for socks that peek out of the top. Decide the outfit needs a bracelet. Rummage. Swear. Rummage. Fiddle with the fit, and why isn't the resizer working? Decide I want to have the Tram hair with the two circle pigtails. Tram only numbers their hair. Which T01480c8r4 effing is it? Fiddle with color and fit HUD. Decide the bow is over the top, find and fiddle with bow HUD. Check that teeth and eyeballs haven't been knocked off in the dressing process (why does this keep happening? rhetorical). Total time spent, well over an hour.

This is a report from Seicher, as for me, the cat: Both worlds, awake/rez, lick butt for 5 minutes. Meow. Done.

It's sale day, so places will be mobbed. Thus today I am full alpha -- time to dress, 2 seconds.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

@Orwar sometimes it is a mixture of not knowing and not caring. Sometimes it is the appreciation of something beautiful and when used on your own region/house personal area then... ppppth.

If you have your own region, knock yourself out with putting whatever you want with it. I was lucky to get a Victorian Linden home pretty early and was very happy with the location - until my neighbors began furnishing their homes. I cammed over to derender clutter several times, yet as they kept rearranging stuff, changing stuff, and one neighbour moved out to be replaced by another one doing the exact same thing, I was just done with it. I lived right next to a car rez zone, and about a short walk from a boat rez pier. 

A lot of people don't live in a private bubble, but next to popular roads or open water routes, or in neighbourhoods with other people in it, whether it's renting a small chunk of land or in Bellissiera or the old Linden home regions. In my current home, the neighbours are largely the same way, this time around I've just popped a skybox high up to get away from it all. 

sometimes it is eff your potato of a machine. Boo hoo.

I'm on a .. Let's call it 'fairly decent' gaming PC. 

Oh and I have an average of 150-180 FPS in my home, in ultra settings, with all the bells and whistles. So, no, that's not the issue. I also have basically the bandwidth to download a double feature film in full 1080p in the time it takes me to go brew a cup of tea.

17 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

But not all of their stuff has tons of triangles and/or high resolution textures.  If one knows what to look for, with the entire store at 50L, then one can still get some great bargains on decent stuff.

Yeah, that's possibly true - I wouldn't know as I haven't cared to set foot in that store for ages, nor do I feel enticed to do so at the prospect of there being a horde of people there. 

New peeve: when you have a perfectly reasonable pet peeve that's based very much on just plain facts, and people try to argue against it because they feel as if their world view is endangered by it. Let me hate that trash heap in peace. Geez. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

It's sale day, so places will be mobbed. Thus today I am full alpha -- time to dress, 2 seconds.

Dead Doll (they lost their Z) even put that in their sale notice. Wear a full alpha.

Meh, I think I'm done shopping. And yeah, the jumper was on sale. :) I didn't factor that into the time spent.

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

New peeve: when you have a perfectly reasonable pet peeve that's based very much on just plain facts, and people try to argue against it because they feel as if their world view is endangered by it. Let me hate that trash heap in peace. Geez. 

No one said you can't hate on them, but you know very well that you're going to get comments. Geez. (And the potato computer remark wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at the whiner who whines about everything because everyone is out to get her in their various power moves.) No one said you didn't have a legit complaint about complexity.

This ties into my dressing peeve I just posted. I would have zero fun in SL if all I did was worry about how many triangles everything I own has. I have enough trouble just dressing myself. If I analyzed every single purchase, well... I'd walk around in that full alpha and live in a LL plywood cube. It sucks the FUN out of it for me. Just like sitting in a public sim with a friend trying to get the sitting pose to work. Adjust adjust adjust for EVER. Fun level... plummets. (I hand the remote control over to the friend to fuss, I'll ignore your hand through my rib cage.)

And that isn't to say MY way, my lack of tech fussing tolerance, is the best way. It is my way. I try to be considerate of others and not be a giant asshat about things when it matters. Otherwise... deal with it princess. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Orwar said:

If you have your own region, knock yourself out with putting whatever you want with it. I was lucky to get a Victorian Linden home pretty early and was very happy with the location - until my neighbors began furnishing their homes. I cammed over to derender clutter several times, yet as they kept rearranging stuff, changing stuff, and one neighbour moved out to be replaced by another one doing the exact same thing, I was just done with it. I lived right next to a car rez zone, and about a short walk from a boat rez pier. 

A lot of people don't live in a private bubble, but next to popular roads or open water routes, or in neighbourhoods with other people in it, whether it's renting a small chunk of land or in Bellissiera or the old Linden home regions. In my current home, the neighbours are largely the same way, this time around I've just popped a skybox high up to get away from it all. 

I'm on a .. Let's call it 'fairly decent' gaming PC. 

Oh and I have an average of 150-180 FPS in my home, in ultra settings, with all the bells and whistles. So, no, that's not the issue. I also have basically the bandwidth to download a double feature film in full 1080p in the time it takes me to go brew a cup of tea.

Yeah, that's possibly true - I wouldn't know as I haven't cared to set foot in that store for ages, nor do I feel enticed to do so at the prospect of there being a horde of people there. 

You refuse or fail to understand that no one has to care how their actions affect your play at all. They don't have to care if you think their items are too complex and it is causing any visual lag for you in the slightest. Your not entitled to anything from them ever. You have no rights over how they use their land or items ever even if it affects you at all. your only choice is dont go there or deal with it.

some of you people are so self absorbed at times that you think others have to care what you like or don't. well here is a clue.. that's not how it works. doesn't matter if you think it makes them rude or selfish or uncaring, they more than likely don't care what you think or feel about them and never will. so complaining about it is pointless for its not going to magically change anything.

the people you complain about, the creators or neighbors probably don't even read the forums, so they are not even going to see it or care in the slightest they made your fun or enjoyment less by what they did.

tough if you don't think its right or fair either. deal with it.. or find another place to live that suits your desires.

'omg my neighbors are rude or uncaring; but im going to stay here and just whine about it in hopes they will change their ways' seriously....

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold

image.thumb.png.9e6e36b6730f6db3db20b5f777e2f4dc.png

Btw, regarding this photo? Taken at my own (rented) home. Guess what? I don't have a clue as to the complexity count of anything you see in this photo... or out of the photo. It rezzes fine for me. I like the way it looks/acts and my rental LI use is based on LI not complexity so... yeah. Zero effs given for whether the items could be made with more efficient design.

As someone with an education in design (industrial/graphic) and mechanical engineering, elegance of design is appreciated. I get the low complexity ideal. I just... nope... not in SL... not if I don't have to.

If, on the other hand, someone likes to derez everything that isn't up to snuff, won't purchase anything not ideally constructed, etc. etc. I tip my virtual hat to that, too. I get it. I'm just not doing it because, gee, I dunno, I'd rather shop and explore and dance and perv and chat and take photos and...

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

image.thumb.png.9e6e36b6730f6db3db20b5f777e2f4dc.png

Btw, regarding this photo? Taken at my own (rented) home. Guess what? I don't have a clue as to the complexity count of anything you see in this photo... or out of the photo. It rezzes fine for me. I like the way it looks/acts and my rental LI use is based on LI not complexity so... yeah. Zero effs given for whether the items could be made with more efficient design.

As someone with an education in design (industrial/graphic) and mechanical engineering, elegance of design is appreciated. I get the low complexity ideal. I just... nope... not in SL... not if I don't have to.

If, on the other hand, someone likes to derez everything that isn't up to snuff, won't purchase anything not ideally constructed, etc. etc. I tip my virtual hat to that, too. I get it. I'm just not doing it because, gee, I dunno, I'd rather shop and explore and dance and perv and chat and take photos and...

stop making me agree with you.. this is not allowed..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.