A New Look For Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I made one!  It's great!  It has dynamic blue and an exciting splat that doesn't mean anything, so people won't be offended or speculate about it, and bright yellow letters to show it's optimistic! 

I had to miss out the last letter as I didn't budget for a logo this wide.  Do you think they'll hire me? 

Mock SL Logo.jpg

OMG! I'M BLIND! 😵

• Haha 2

It gives me a headache to look at the too bright blue. A white background makes it worse. 

While I do like blue, I prefer green but if LL will tone the blue down a bit so that it doesn't glare at you.

Attract my attention but don't glare at me. I know, not easy to achieve. It's just that I'm not the only one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

I don't mind the blue as it looks against the Forum's header, over the cover picture.

I'm actually having to hold my own hand over that while I look at the forum because even against the image background it's too bright for my eyes. And yes I do have Astigmatism which is why real bright colors and bright sunlight hurt my eyes. You should see how dark my sunglasses are.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

Probably you don't realise the implied connection to Vedic symbology used across all of Second Life, starting from the word Avatar, the grids names Aditi and Agni (and all other closed test grids we don't get to even see the names of, that at least existed years ago), the whole concept of a being that controls an unknowing body to navigate a 3d world and such. 

I have seen Agni, Aditi, Aruna, Bharati, Chandra, Damballah, Danu, Durga, Ganga, Mitra, Mohini, Nandi, Parvati, Radha, Ravi, Siva, Shakti, Skanda, Soma, Uma, Vaak and Yami in SL Viewer grid selectors of days gone by.

6 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

That is a horrific shade of blue. Everything about that new logo seems to just clash. Why didn’t they make it a community competition with the prize being a years worth of premium or linden equivalent for those that already have premium. 

Boaty McBoatface

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, karynmaria said:

I do think the logo is much easier to read.   I was fine with the other logo and I am fine with this one.  

I was kinda 'meh' about it, at first. But the longer I look at it, and having read ppl's comments, the more I dislike it. :( Like I said, it feels too 'Outlook (Express)' or Intel to me. It's simply, as Beth someone put it so well, too 'platform.' It doesn't say 'world', like it used to.

And even the blue on the forum banner clashes with the meant-for-green-logo background image (which, by itself, could use an overhaul, btw; I see waay too many jaggies).

Edited by kiramanell
Coorection
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I was kinda 'meh' about it, at first. But the longer I look at it, and having read ppl's comments, the more I dislike it. :( Like I said, it feels too 'Outlook (Express)' or Intel to me. It's simply, as Beth someone put it so well, too 'platform.' It doesn't say 'world', like it used to.

And even the blue on the forum banner clashes with the meant-for-green-logo background image (which, by itself, could use an overhaul, btw; I see waay too many jaggies).

It is okay if you don't like it.  Not everyone is going to and I think like Sylvia said for some,  it is sentimental.   And i think it is great that people are posting their thoughts on it.  Be it positive or negative.

• Like 3

(This is probably going to sound offensive..but, frankly scarlet, I don't give a damn)

To me, the new logo looks like they asked a kid who is just getting into graphic design to make "your own version of our logo" and went with the first submission made by a child that has only opened paint shop once before, for an art class assignment. 

I say this because while I love the blue color (I do, personally, blue's my fav color) the font is generic as generic gets and the hand looks like it was the original logo taken into psp, had the magic wand used on it to get just the hand part, modified the selection in by a couple pixels, inverted and the space created by the new selection deleted, then a couple of spots pulled out a bit with the distortion tool. In fact, I could do that with the old logo in less than two minutes, change the colorization and brighteness/contrast of the hand, and get that exact result, lol.  My children could do it, my youngest niece could do it.....

I don't like that, because it LOOKS lazy to me, as if literally no effort was put into it...and I'm mostly blind, so, that's not saying much for whoever "created" it. 

I do think that the hand with the words second life are very iconic as it relates directly to LL and sl. Whether or not the general public outside of us familiar with sl would think so, is irrelevant, LL does a ***** job of marketing and we all know that, it's not a super cereal secret. But I do think even among some of them less familiar it could be considered iconic, in the sense that someone who has seen it before, may recognize it again as being related to sl. That doesn't mean it represents sl, or LL, or what sl is, or what people can do with/in/for sl...it merely means, the logo is, to a certain degree, already connected with sl. If I saw the new logo during any of my downtime away from sl, I would think "who phucked up the logo?". The logo has never really represented any of that, regardless of what LL thinks it represents, lol. LL doesn't judge their own products well, that's another widely known not super cereal secret, even outside of sl. 

I do think a logo refresher, an upgrade, an update,  isn't a bad idea. Most companies do it at some point in their lifetime. I just think the idea of an actual improvement is completely lost on whoever did it, and LL, because the only good improvement made is brightening the color a bit with a shade of blue that has more pop. It's also more accessibility friendly (which may have been a driving force behind using it)), even if a smidge brighter than typically used. It works better with accessibility tools whereas the latter color scheme never has, because of it's hues and light levels, it barely passed acceptable via us accessibility laws. 

ETA*-accessibility tools used for those of us with visual impairments alter colorization, hue, saturation, contrast, brightness, etc..etc....the blue, although pretty damn bright in its raw form, once put through those tools tones down. The old logo just tones out, and kinda looks fugly. They could lower the brightness on the blue but keep the rest of its assets and it wouldn't be nearly as bright in its raw form but would still pass muster in accessibility tools  (LL has never done well on this front, they either go all in for backasswards crap, or go dull...there is no middle ground on their concept of design, lol)

I'd like to say I don't really care one way or the other, but, clearly, some part of me (and every other one of you reading) does care, on some level...that doesn't mean it's a life altering thought process, or even a conscious one, lol. 

Edited by Tari Landar
added stuffs
  • Like 7

Having mulled it over for day .. I like the text, it's certainly more modern.

But text alone doesn't a logo make, and just moving the hue slider a bit barely counts either, it in no way evokes anything from the announcement post which I guess is what they were going for.

I could ramble and postulate but cutting to the chase, It just leaves me feeling cold.

Edited by CoffeeDujour
spellchecker had too mush port
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having read the explanations in this forum of the history and meaning of the logo it makes more sense to me now, but how many that see this logo know this?
Especially people outside of Second Life will have no clue.

To me it always looked like a stop hand with an eye in it. 
A hand that says "stop" is just very uninviting.
Does it represent the wall people new to Second Life need to climb to understand how it all works?
And the eye means we are always watching you?

I never liked it at all and the blue did not fix that.

Edited by Micaela Mercury
typo
  • Like 3

I've noticed that much of the Second Life viewer, website and forums have colors in harmony with the old pastel green logo. There are a lot green and orange elements and even a few shades of purple.  These are all secondary colors that compliment each other and the primary blue color of the new logo currently clashes with everything. I think we are going to see a LOT of color changes in the future.

I think the re-branding of SL will be good not because the design is better but because the new design creates a feeling of newness and change. 

• Like 3

I love blue.  But that's not blue, it's full bright aqua.  Not a bad color but it sure clashes with everything else.  I agree with @Bree Giffen The old palate went well with the old bluegreen hand.  it looks bloody awful with the new aqua hand.  As for the new text, it's nothing special, not much to say for or against it. As for the launch, I'd give it a fail.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Evah Baxton said:

I like the new logo. It's clean, modernized, and bright. As to it bothering people's eyes ... I wonder if there is something that can be done in the dark theme to darken it a bit?

Depending on how dark the theme is... won't do me a bit of good. Unfortunately trying to use the dark theme, for me, just makes me strain my eyes. So this forum's dark theme is unusable for me.

The bright blue causes pain in my eyes, not just "bothers" them.  There are millions of us that have Astigmatism, not just a very small percentage.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Depending on how dark the theme is... won't do me a bit of good. Unfortunately trying to use the dark theme, for me, just makes me strain my eyes. So this forum's dark theme is unusable for me.

The bright blue causes pain in my eyes, not just "bothers" them.  There are millions of us that have Astigmatism, not just a very small percentage.

Maybe your brightness, contrast or night settings can be tweaked enough to make it tolerable. 

7 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Maybe your brightness, contrast or night settings can be tweaked enough to make it tolerable. 

Everything has already been set. Has been since I got this computer. If I adjust it just for SL it will throw everything else out of whack. Not going through all that again.

23 hours ago, kiramanell said:

I don't mind it in one particular thread, specifically designed for religious talk, but I was hoping we could leave religion out of this one; particularly when religion + political agenda are getting mixed. That rarely, if ever, ends well.

It isn't the religion or politics that create the problems in a discussion. It is the people involved in the conversation/dialog. It is most people in such conversations attempting to debate opinion rather than facts or objective information. Opinion can't be debated.

I like blue more than green. Fact. But, dang that blue one is bright. Opinion. 

It's their logo. I can see the similarity and recognize it as SL. Not much else matters.

12 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

It isn't the religion or politics that create the problems in a discussion. It is the people involved in the conversation/dialog. It is most people in such conversations attempting to debate opinion rather than facts or objective information. Opinion can't be debated.

Yep, and that's why politics and religion are 'dangerous' subjects (from forum moderators' perpective), as ppl have very strong, often emotional, feelings around those, and the viewpoints tend to be highly polarized.

I myself usually don't touch religion with a ten-foot pole, on a forum; for that one thread I figured it'd be okay, but elsewhere I feel things tend to go downwards real fast when you do. Hence, I expressed my polite hope, that we please not do the whole religion and politics thing in here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Yep, and that's why politics and religion are 'dangerous' subjects (from forum moderators' perspective), as ppl have very strong, often emotional, feelings around those, and the viewpoints tend to be highly polarized.

I myself usually don't touch religion with a ten-foot pole, on a forum; for that one thread I figured it'd be okay, but elsewhere I feel things tend to go downwards real fast when you do. Hence, I expressed my polite hope, that we please not do the whole religion and politics thing in here.

I'll say again politics and religion aren't dangerous subjects, even for moderators. It is their losing control of emotional people that is the danger. People are the danger, their bad behavior. Since the moderators find it difficult to maintain control they censor the subjects. I find that sad as these are subjects that should be greatly debated. I think such debates are the only way to find the better ideas.

Others fear the subjects. As soon as the subjects come up they panic and try to change direction or stop the conversation. Whether that is because they want to avoid having their beliefs challenged, hearing upsetting ideas, or their lack of knowledge on a subject... or any of a million other reasons... like you say they are quickly adding to the mess.

Many actively try to stop the spread of ideas and thinking that disagrees with their beliefs. So much so that it is a creed to not talk politics or religion they often repeat and pus on others.

Your choice to avoid the subjects in forums can be respected. There is nothing that requires you put up with those that can't control how they speak/write. For many forums are entertainment and fun social interaction. You are not required to give that up.

I think more along the lines of avoiding such subjects as giving the floor to the mental midgets devolving the conversation into ad hominem attacks on others. But that is me. You are free to choose to avoid those disasters and encourage others not to go there and it isn't a problem for me that you so choose. I just choose another course.

You are polite, a disappearing intellectual grace.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.