A New Look For Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Gatogateau said:

Part of that good discussion is a reasonable discussion about why the person does or doesn't like it, or like me, isn't really one way or the other. Those reasons don't have to be "Well, the correct color should have been Pantene #..." "I don't like green" is valid. :) My original comment in this thread pointed out where I saw where they didn't just get rid of the background and fill the hand in with blue. They actually did make some subtle changes in the shape, which to me make the new one more readable. I thought the point of this thread was to discuss?

Discuss, yes. Insult each other, no. :) 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Gonna be serious now, for a moment -- quite contrary to my normally bubbly nature -- but I'm with Sylvia here. The, pardon my French 'd1ck-sizing' over who is the better designer, is extremely conducive to getting yet ANOTHER thread locked. C'mon, now, we can't let that happen; not over a frakkin' logo, for crying out-loud!

What this thread needs, is less bickering, and more Taylor Swift. 🥰

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kiramanell said:

Gonna be serious now, for a moment -- quite contrary to my normally bubbly nature -- but I'm with Sylvia here. The, pardon my French 'd1ck-sizing' over who is the better designer, is extremely conducive to getting yet ANOTHER thread locked. C'mon, now, we can't let that happen; not over a frakkin' logo, for crying out-loud!

What this thread needs, is less bickering, and more Taylor Swift. 🥰

I've kept my comments on topic. And reasoned. With graphic examples of the points I was making.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I'm honestly sorry i couldn't have been a better guest in the thread Sylvia you sound like a lovely person and i did want to contribute positively, but its frankly impossible, this is a big problem with second life.
No one is actually interested in knowing what you think and offering good alternatives or commentaries, what they are interested in is drama and fights, telling you how you personally are some how worse then they are.
they then can run around saying "ohh i trolled this person so hard on a thread till i upset them" yes, you did good job your a pillar of the community.
Please don't ever get a pet.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, TheDamed Spore said:

I'm honestly sorry i couldn't have been a better guest in the thread Sylvia you sound like a lovely person and i did want to contribute positively, but its frankly impossible, this is a big problem with second life.
No one is actually interested in knowing what you think and offering good alternatives or commentaries, what they are interested in is drama and fights, telling you how you personally are some how worse then they are.
they then can run around saying "ohh i trolled this person so hard on a thread till i upset them" yes, you did good job your a pillar of the community.
Please don't ever get a pet.

I hope that last sentence wasn't directed toward me, as it would be very bad timing for such a comment. My beloved RL kitty died suddenly just two weeks ago. :(

In any event, I'm interested in everyone's opinions about the logo, whether or not they agree with my own opinion. I'm only hoping that the bickering doesn't get the thread closed. It seems like we can't discuss anything these days without the thread going right off a cliff and then getting locked. 

I'm going to bed now and will hope the thread is still here tomorrow. Goodnight!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

Just now, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I hope that last sentence wasn't directed toward me, as it would be very bad timing for such a comment. My beloved RL kitty died suddenly just two weeks ago. :(

In any event, I'm interested in everyone's opinions about the logo, whether or not they agree with my own opinion. I'm only hoping that the bickering doesn't get the thread closed. It seems like we can't discuss anything these days without the thread going right off a cliff and then getting locked. 

I'm going to bed now and will hope the thread is still here tomorrow. Goodnight!

No not at you, the apology is for you.
I believe you are genuinely interested in opinions, but there are members of this thread who have gone out of their way to be personally insulting towards me in every possible manner, i think its because i stated i am a designer, its a form of tall poppy syndrome, i have a qualification, i came to this thread because clearly this interests me then when i stated why i have an opinion i feel it is justified to express i am speaking with a qualified opinion, because i thought people would be interested in what a real designer has to say on the matter.
I'm also very sorry to hear about your kitty what i was referring to was that people who get pleasure out of others suffering should not own pets.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheDamed Spore said:

you did good job your a pillar of the community.

I think I'm more like Community's Pillow (pillow of the community...), Season 3 Ep 14 which was rather hilarious.

Anyway... the more I look at it, though subtle, I think I like the redesigned logo slightly more than the old, primarily for the slightly more open design...subtle but it makes a difference. I do kind of agree that the blue is rather harsh, and it does depend upon the background it is against.

I do agree there's been too much mindless bickering in the Forum as a whole, and as such I think folks are being a little too sensitive to some comments of disagreement, seeing it as harsh. But I get it. It's late where I am, so as the fog comes on little cat feet, so the little cat feet go off to bed like a whisp of fog in the night.

giphy (5).gif

• Like 4

of course it sounds grumpy:)  but not the intention.
I learned in the past, first be sure your building stands, and after that put the wallpaper on the walls ...
Too many gaps in the walls now to put new wallpaper on it.
Spend the money and time on usefull things.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Meh.  I was never captivated by the logo...that was done by Second Life itself.

I never thought much, either good or ill, about the old logo, and I don't think the "new" logo is enough of a change to either gush over or be critical of.  It is what it is.

But I do have a question...does this mean we can use the old logo without getting in trouble with LL's legal department over the trademark policy? 🙂

Not a trademark expert, but... I wouldn't think so? If one has permission to use the old logo and depending upon how it is being used, I wouldn't think there'd be a legal issue. No doubt they would prefer you go with the new one though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The kitty has claws! <-- Well, yeah. Declawing is mean. But kitty's claws are nicely groomed and clipped and can barely make a scratch.

Also, "Out, damed spore! out, I say!" <-- That was rather brilliant. I guffawed. Literally guffawed.

Sorry, just popped into say that. It needed to be done.

Have fun, kids! I'm off daaaaaaancing . . . !<-- Have fun, though dancing on only two legs is weird.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

But I do have a question...does this mean we can use the old logo without getting in trouble with LL's legal department over the trademark policy? 🙂

Not a trademark expert, but... we are almost guaranteed NOT allowed to use the old logo (in cases we couldn't before either). Just because they registered a new logo, doesn't mean they relinquished their rights on the old one. No sane company would, really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Not a trademark expert, but... we are almost guaranteed NOT allowed to use the old logo (in cases we couldn't before either). Just because they registered a new logo, doesn't mean they relinquished their rights on the old one. No sane company would, really.

Not quite asleep yet and read this. Interesting how you read Lindal's original question, and absolutely the way you read it and your answer I'd be willing to bet you are right. I read it that if one already had permission to use it, would they have to use the new one, which I think would depend. But right, if you couldn't use the old one, and you can't use the new one, you still can't.

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

If one has permission to use the old logo and depending upon how it is being used, I wouldn't think there'd be a legal issue. No doubt they would prefer you go with the new one though.

Yeah, that's another interesting question: if you have the legal right to use their logo, could you then also still use the old one?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Also, "Out, damed spore! out, I say!"

Why are you also being mean to me?
I have been attacked on this forum all over and you gave the bullies more ammo?
did you even read the context to which i was attacked?

39 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Also, "Out, damed spore! out, I say!" <-- That was rather brilliant. I guffawed. Literally guffawed.

Here you can clearly see it happening.
why?
why is this community so horrible to each other?

14 minutes ago, TheDamed Spore said:

Why are you also being mean to me?
I have been attacked on this forum all over and you gave the bullies more ammo?
did you even read the context to which i was attacked?

Here you can clearly see it happening.
why?
why is this community so horrible to each other?

LeSigh. Scylla is not mean to you. Way I'm reading this, she's just trying to inject some levity into the situation. Humor, it's a real thing. Look it up! :) I often do the same thing; not as clever or witty as Scylla, but I know humor works; it disarms. To give you a for instance:

she-shook-it-off-instead-photo-u1?w=650&

Now, admit, wasn't that funny?! 🤣

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

The logo doesn't bother me either way, just to put a vote in for indifference. The text is more readable, which isn't a bad thing. They obviously missed their chance to use a mushroom, but we can't have everything.

Interesting. Me? I don't like the new font: it's too sterile for my taste, too cold.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Scylla is not mean to you. Way I'm reading this, she's just trying to inject some levity into the situation. Humor, it's a real thing. Look it up!

Ill accept that they think its funny, but i don't know how making me feel like i'm not wanted is funny.
it just makes me feel like i'm getting picked on. I didn't do anything different to anyone else i just gave my opinion and i gave it in as concise a manner as possible. 
next thing i'm being called names, and being told i cant know what i'm talking about because i didn't share someone else's opinion its relay horrible.
But is that a cultural thing? is telling someone to get out funny in some part of the world? Its just straight up mean, if someone says GET OUT they mean for you to leave.

Edited by TheDamed Spore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.