You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I am wanting to start a BeYou Eatery, but I am running into a problem. Now I am not sure where I should have put this question so sorry if it is in the wrong page or something. I hope there is someone out there that could possibly help me with this so I can continue on with my idea. Anyways, I want to be able to sell the food to customers who come in even when I am not online, but I want it to where they must buy before getting it, but I don't know a way to do so. Now I did think of the idea of boxing up food, but I would like that for to-go foods if at all possible. If there is a way to do this I would really appreciate the help, but I will take other ideas as well! I want to get a move on my project and open. Thank you in advance. 

I can't see a way around boxing things to sell unless you hire staff to roleplay serving someone, taking their money, and handing the items over. However, a box doesn't have to look like a box. It could be a plate from a food display or something like that. You could have an NPC waiter telling them to make a selection from the display or something like that. Same technical stuff, but a different ambience.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

I can't see a way around boxing things to sell unless you hire staff to roleplay serving someone, taking their money, and handing the items over. However, a box doesn't have to look like a box. It could be a plate from a food display or something like that. You could have an NPC waiter telling them to make a selection from the display or something like that. Same technical stuff, but a different ambience.

i think, but i'm no scripter, that a buy/rezz/ pick up the item,  script should be possible?
I don't know many examples but thats how i seen many items sold at the bloodline regions in the past.

I'm not sure you will get many returning customers.. when they have your menu, they don't need to come back. and simply rezz a new copy from their inventory ( if no copy they only need to take it up at home to use again)

Edited by Alwin Alcott

2 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

i would go with something like this what Polenth says

the basic idea being a display of food. Pastries, cakes, pizza, pies, drinks and similar stuff, all nicely laid out.  There is a animesh serving attendant with an order docket (some kind of display listing items by thumbnail image, name and price)

customer clicks/touches the order docket to begin ordering. Customer clicks/touches the food item(s) which get added to the order docket.  Customer pays the animesh serving attendant and gets the item(s) on the docket

Edited by Mollymews
begin part
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

I'm not sure you will get many returning customers.. when they have your menu, they don't need to come back. and simply rezz a new copy from their inventory ( if no copy they only need to take it up at home to use again)

No worries there.  BeYou food is a consumable -- like the food fed to breedables, but it is food for avatars.  It is all No Copy and when used/consumed the item goes "empty" and may even disappear.

@DaphneF4L - I'd go with what Polenth said, or at least something similar to that.

• Like 3

Cocoon has something like this for their roleplay restaurants. They have an in-game currency; you can buy it with Lindens, but mostly you get it by winning things. If you're a Cocoon roleplayer, you can eat at Kitsune, Gigabites, or the taco place. You click on the plate, get a menu, pay game currency, and gain MP, which helps in combat.

There are tables which display food from a menu. The restaurant in the Brunel Hotel in New Babbage does this very well.

The Silver King diner used to have waitresses on roller skates. That was popular enough that people volunteered to be a skater.

So all the pieces for what you want to do have been done. Whether people will pay for it is a separate issue.

9 minutes ago, animats said:

So all the pieces for what you want to do have been done. Whether people will pay for it is a separate issue.

People doing the BeYou role play already have to pay for food, so I guess it depends on how the OP charges compared to other BeYou food places.  I don't know enough about the RP to know if there are any rules around the food pricing.

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2020 at 12:20 AM, DaphneF4L said:

Hello,

I am wanting to start a BeYou Eatery, but I am running into a problem. Now I am not sure where I should have put this question so sorry if it is in the wrong page or something. I hope there is someone out there that could possibly help me with this so I can continue on with my idea. Anyways, I want to be able to sell the food to customers who come in even when I am not online, but I want it to where they must buy before getting it, but I don't know a way to do so. Now I did think of the idea of boxing up food, but I would like that for to-go foods if at all possible. If there is a way to do this I would really appreciate the help, but I will take other ideas as well! I want to get a move on my project and open. Thank you in advance. 

I know a few people use caspervend. They set up their food/menu in caspervend, you pay for it, then the food is delivered there in the restaurant or they can take it home.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Any BeYou restaurant I've ever seen, the restaurant has a notecard giver where you send it to the owner or the waitress and set up a time where they come and serve you.

I'm sure someone with scripting experience could help with making a script that gives out the food, but the problem I see with having some kind of machine is the food expires after a while. The only other thing I can think of is some beYou supermarkets sell prepackaged meals, so you might be able to package the meals up that way and sell them.

Your best bet would probably be to ask in help wanted, because it sounds like something that would involve a decent amount of scripting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2021 at 3:42 PM, Janet Voxel said:

Any BeYou restaurant I've ever seen, the restaurant has a notecard giver where you send it to the owner or the waitress and set up a time where they come and serve you.

I'm sure someone with scripting experience could help with making a script that gives out the food, but the problem I see with having some kind of machine is the food expires after a while. The only other thing I can think of is some beYou supermarkets sell prepackaged meals, so you might be able to package the meals up that way and sell them.

Your best bet would probably be to ask in help wanted, because it sounds like something that would involve a decent amount of scripting.

My guess for doing the NC and serving is that once the food is rezzed it expires in 30 days.  I don't think you are going to be able to do that when you are offline unless you have it boxed up as a meal. Many people already do this. I have no idea how many people are actually buying the already prepared meals.

You might look at the ad boards on the sim and see if there are places that do that and see what they do.  You might have issues with it being successful until you are at least a SG cook.

You could be open at certain times and have 4-5 meals on the menu and cook it to order like a real restaurant but you'd have to have all the ingredients to cook those 4-5 meals on hand at all times. Do it as a RP which is what it is supposed to be. :) good luck!

1 hour ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

I'm a kitsune.

I know that, of course. But this is about restaurants in SL. Here's what I'm talking about.

kitsune.thumb.jpg.222b0d48c90eec33f1bcb82972597304.jpg

This is Kitsune, in Cocoon, a busy MMORPG within Second Life. "Come for the neon. Stay for the intrigue".

Menu:

1.Spicy Ramen - 50c
   +100 HP
   +46 Dice Dmg
   +10 Rage [20]
_
2.Tofu-Takoyaki - 10c
   +40 HP
   +40 Dice Dmg

Synths or OOCs will not be served.

Payment is in Coccon's roleplay currency, which you can buy with Lindens to get started, but should try to win in-game.

Edited by animats
  • Like 3

On 5/21/2020 at 1:20 AM, DaphneF4L said:

Hello,

If you want to have a restaurant or cafe in SL and have it feel realistic, you need the food and drink to dispense into avatars' hands. So either you use the simpler format where you send something into their inventory, then they right-click on it in inventory and "add" to then have the simulation of eating or drinking, or else you use one of a variety of more complicated systems to put the item right into their hand, through the AvSitter script, or Rez Object on Touch Correctly with Temp-Attach or other variations. These can be picky and complicated to make. You can buy ready-made ones of course from a variety of merchants who make deliverable food items like Lucas Lameth, andika, KittyCats Ninetails, What's Next, and so on. I'm not sure if the Be You game has created items or has a system for you to create items that does all that but it seems crucial to me if you are going to have a food venue.

I personally ordered customized scripts to be made for items I make after struggling with this for several years because one issue is copyright, you need to make an item copy/transfer to get into a third-party avatar's hand visiting your venue, but many merchants who make models to use in creations have a TOS that prohibits using copy/transfer. So you have to hunt around for some that have their own script they include to address that, or use others on the MP or commission one. 

I see even the best, top-notch skilled creators having to re-release deliverable food items often because it is one of the most picky things in SL and can easily go wrong at several levels. So if you want to avoid these complications, having the item going into inventory and asking the visitor them to "add" so that they "wear" the drink or food, that might be better for you at least starting out.

4 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

If you want to have a restaurant or cafe in SL and have it feel realistic, you need the food and drink to dispense into avatars' hands. So either you use the simpler format where you send something into their inventory, then they right-click on it in inventory and "add" to then have the simulation of eating or drinking, or else you use one of a variety of more complicated systems to put the item right into their hand, through the AvSitter script, or Rez Object on Touch Correctly with Temp-Attach or other variations. These can be picky and complicated to make. You can buy ready-made ones of course from a variety of merchants who make deliverable food items like Lucas Lameth, andika, KittyCats Ninetails, What's Next, and so on. I'm not sure if the Be You game has created items or has a system for you to create items that does all that but it seems crucial to me if you are going to have a food venue.

I personally ordered customized scripts to be made for items I make after struggling with this for several years because one issue is copyright, you need to make an item copy/transfer to get into a third-party avatar's hand visiting your venue, but many merchants who make models to use in creations have a TOS that prohibits using copy/transfer. So you have to hunt around for some that have their own script they include to address that, or use others on the MP or commission one. 

I see even the best, top-notch skilled creators having to re-release deliverable food items often because it is one of the most picky things in SL and can easily go wrong at several levels. So if you want to avoid these complications, having the item going into inventory and asking the visitor them to "add" so that they "wear" the drink or food, that might be better for you at least starting out.

These are all really good ideas but beYou is a whole system within SL with separate assets that are kept on their servers, etc.  Someone that doesn't know how the beYou system and scripting works can have all the great ideas in the world but it has to work with their system.  Non of these items can be modified or have scripts put into them.  They just would not allow it.  I do think they are working on a restaurant system *not really positive* but at this point they have not.  I believe that they used to also have an option to be able to serve someone but when they redid the dining tables that went away. @Orwarmay have better information.  So right now the option is to come in and order the food, have the person make it and then put it on the table to serve it or have that person make it ahead of time because some dishes can take a lot of time and just serve it when they come in. I made simple Zuccinni bread and from start to finish it took me 25 minutes. The other option is to have a take home store, which many people already have the meals boxed up and ready to unpack and serve at home. I suppose if you gave people rez rights they could take it and eat it there but then what would be the point? Why not just buy it and eat it at home. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

@Orwarmay have better information.

I'm not privy to what's going on with the development, or in what order things are being updated. There used to be an option to serve others, but due to issues that led to asset loss (the food not making it from serving to plate), the feature was disabled. The only other clue is that there are food serving licenses in the lawyers' interface, but it is currently not in use either.

You still can run a restaurant, but it'll take some work-arounds. Either by giving the guests rez rights so that they can themselves place the food out to serve themselves, or that you invite them to a group and set group access to the food that you rez - or even that you put it to public access, which should be fine for as long as no griefers are around to steal food.

In my opinion though, the food itself is just a bonus; I'd put the primary emphasis on the RP aspect instead. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

These are all really good ideas but beYou is a whole system within SL with separate assets that are kept on their servers, etc.  Someone that doesn't know how the beYou system and scripting works can have all the great ideas in the world but it has to work with their system.  Non of these items can be modified or have scripts put into them.  They just would not allow it.  I do think they are working on a restaurant system *not really positive* but at this point they have not.  I believe that they used to also have an option to be able to serve someone but when they redid the dining tables that went away. @Orwarmay have better information.  So right now the option is to come in and order the food, have the person make it and then put it on the table to serve it or have that person make it ahead of time because some dishes can take a lot of time and just serve it when they come in. I made simple Zuccinni bread and from start to finish it took me 25 minutes. The other option is to have a take home store, which many people already have the meals boxed up and ready to unpack and serve at home. I suppose if you gave people rez rights they could take it and eat it there but then what would be the point? Why not just buy it and eat it at home. 

OK, I didn't realize what the deal was with this game, which sounds like a GTFO for food...or something. So presumably you are buying the ingredients and crafting the items and then selling them? Sort of like the DFS game?

I have seen BeYou as an Experience put in land by my tenants, and I had a guy with a big BeYou store aggressively ask me to sell my land several times in a sim already ruined by a GTFO, and I couldn't see the reason for adding another laggy, script-heavy store to a pond sim, but then, I realize systems like this like to look at the view others created without worrying about how they look in the view.

So how about this for the OP:  have the BeYou take-out boxes for sale, but also put out deliverable food and drink items from other makers or ones he makes, in this restaurant, so that the customers then have the feel of a restaurant. The BeYou becomes the doggie bag then.

Do people go to restaurants and sit and eat when this is utterly unnecessary in a virtual world. Indeed they do. I have them all over and people come in all the time, buy things for sale, or take freebies, and hang out. It is definitely a thing for sure

I was recently flying around looking at camping sites and found a very high-class sort of Glamping place with fantastically high rents where they actually had a sit-down dinner at a scheduled time. Imagine that! And here I give my tenants only self-serve deliverable snacks and sandwiches and sometimes box picnics and they can fend for themselves. I can't imagine putting in the labour of a RP waiter even for a fee, but then, there are such things in SL!

So this glamping meal -- to which you cannot be late or it will be canceled on you -- has several courses which are served, and you can pick from a menu. I think there are probably customers for this, I see sometimes such restaurants with actual live serving. And why not?

22 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

beYou is a whole system within SL with separate assets

It sure is. I just visited the BeYou region. I thought it was just a farming system, but they've gone way beyond that. They have their own furniture, their own kitchens, their own appliances, their own bathrooms (there are lots of toiletries to buy and use up), their own phones, their own food... It's a whole MMORPG within SL, with hundreds of purchaseable in-game items, most or all no-copy.

I'm not sure what to think of this. It's a walled garden,  but it seems well-executed.

4 hours ago, animats said:

I'm not sure what to think of this. It's a walled garden,  but it seems well-executed.

It's free to join (the HUD/meter costs nothing), and classes are held pretty much daily in various professions and 101's. It is easy to get carried away and sink a couple of thousand L$ into it in the beginning if you don't know how it works, but you can play it without much cost at all, or even with a small income if you're business savvy (although I wouldn't recommend getting into it for the sake of earning L$). 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 8:27 PM, animats said:

I know that, of course. But this is about restaurants in SL. Here's what I'm talking about.

kitsune.thumb.jpg.222b0d48c90eec33f1bcb82972597304.jpg

This is Kitsune, in Cocoon, a busy MMORPG within Second Life. "Come for the neon. Stay for the intrigue".

Menu:

1.Spicy Ramen - 50c
   +100 HP
   +46 Dice Dmg
   +10 Rage [20]
_
2.Tofu-Takoyaki - 10c
   +40 HP
   +40 Dice Dmg

Synths or OOCs will not be served.

Payment is in Coccon's roleplay currency, which you can buy with Lindens to get started, but should try to win in-game.

I'm actually impressed at that screenshot mate. Looks like something out of the Blade Runner universe. lol👍😎

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.