Are you scared? : (

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1448 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can I ask what people think of this? Flour is still hard to come by in several places. I have a few bags, no panic buying, I'm just always well stocked because I use it a lot in normal life. 

Found an activity my son will love but it involves using flour and I feel a bit torn about using food to play with when the situation is as it is right now. If it's relevant, it'll result in an item that we will keep and look at and play with until it disintegrates. I don't waste food in the sense of throwing it out, but I suppose this could be considered waste, arguably, since it won't get eaten. We already have a box of lentils, rice and seeds for sensory play but we've had that for months. 

What do people think? 

12 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Can I ask what people think of this? Flour is still hard to come by in several places. I have a few bags, no panic buying, I'm just always well stocked because I use it a lot in normal life. 

Found an activity my son will love but it involves using flour and I feel a bit torn about using food to play with when the situation is as it is right now. If it's relevant, it'll result in an item that we will keep and look at and play with until it disintegrates. I don't waste food in the sense of throwing it out, but I suppose this could be considered waste, arguably, since it won't get eaten. We already have a box of lentils, rice and seeds for sensory play but we've had that for months. 

What do people think? 

I think that unless you can dispose of it to other people who need it, or you can use it all up before its expiry date, then it's fair game to play with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

What do people think? 

If you can get it, you could get basic brand flour really cheap  (ex-child minder)   Take a look at the pictures of bins, I dont think you are doing anything close to wastage like that.  People are buying flour because they think they are going to make bread and are clueless how to make it and will chuck it eventually.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Drayke, I saw a similar article that claimed that deaths in the USA are being under-reported too.  Front line workers are saying the number of deaths they're seeing are not reflected in the published numbers.  This could be simply because of delays in the reporting chain, but it could also be the (understandable) desire of governments to not let anyone know how bad a job they're doing.

We may never have numbers we can trust, for any aspect of this.

I was watching a couple of doctors talking about this just last night.. The confusion could be what is put on the death certificate..

Since it is mostly killing people with underlying health conditions, that the disease is not killing everyone in the same way.. So the reason for death could be getting split up when they give the reason for death on the death certificate..

We are going to have way more cases than deaths because most will shake it off like a flu, But the deaths could be showing less than they are because of how they are recording them at the time,basically.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Darn I hate to miss spammers before they whoosh!  And yes there need to be non US mods for sure!

You're in luck, our earlier spammer started up with the same rubbish under a new name 🙄

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pamela Galli said:

Oh that one!  Is it a bot? 

I remember well the bot spam from years ago. Filled pages. Took LL a while but they stopped it.

Not sure,  its having to wait for the timer they set up after that time and they aren't all exactly the same posts.  

• Thanks 1

Don't transfer COVID, kids

I'm a guy in my 40's still perfectly able to deadlift 250 kg for reps feeling like I've been hit in the head by Mike Tyson for two consecutive weeks now. Don't get this stuff, folks. No, I'm not afraid for my own sake, I'll survive,  but avoidng my two sisters who have undergone chemo.

Think about what this might do to your grandma. And please stop it with the conspiracy therories. At least for a little while.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

2 minutes ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

Don't transfer COVID, kids

I'm a guy in my 40's still perfectly able to deadlift 250 kg for reps feeling like I've been hit in the head by Mike Tyson for two consecutive weeks now. Don't get this stuff, folks. No, I'm not afraid for my own sake, I'll survive,  but avoidng my two sisters who have undergone chemo.

Think about what this might do to your grandma. And please stop it with the conspiracy therories. At least for a little while.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

• Like 3

It’s just now showing up here in central Texas, which means it’s been here undercover a while. Two deaths so far. Interesting that the people mid range age getting hit much harder than the over 60s. Probably because the oldsters are not so sure any more they are immortal.

Thank God they cancelled SXSW or we would be another New Orleans. 

Grateful my whole family went immediatrly into paranoid prepper mode. Have not had to nag anyone but my husband, but it even has his attention now. 

Edited by Pamela Galli

2 hours ago, Dano Seale said:

Makes you wonder how the Nazis managed it back in the day!

Completely irrelevant but let me see, I don't know... perhaps it had something to do with them not cremating individually to keep the ashes to put them in an urn to return to the family. That is to say (for the uneducated non self thinkers out there) they mass cremated. 🙄

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

It’s just now showing up here in central Texas, which means it’s been here undercover a while. Two deaths so far. Interesting that the people mid range age getting hit much harder than the over 60s. Probably because the oldsters are not so sure any more they are immortal.

Same data is coming out of Australia that the mid range groups under 60 and mainly 30-40s are catching it more than the elderly but the elderly are the highest deaths. Though this can easily be contributed to mid age covid-19 parties (words fail me with these people) etc, and negligence of them passing it on to others.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

What do people think? 

Less wasteful than my bag that was purchased around Christmas time and will ultimately get tossed.  I buy the smallest bags I can find anytime I buy flour, yet I still use it so little that most of it gets tossed.  The only time flour really ever gets used here is when my daughter comes home and bakes cookies for us.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

Interesting that the people mid range age getting hit much harder than the over 60s.

Ditto here in Colorado.  I think it is because the ones over 60 are taking things more seriously and staying away from everyone.  Also, the ones under 60 are the ones running the errands for the older ones, so they are out and about more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I buy the smallest bags I can find anytime I buy flour, yet I still use it so little that most of it gets tossed.  The only time flour really ever gets used here is when my daughter comes home and bakes cookies for us.

There was a time, decades ago now, when we all used to bake much more bread than we do now. As students, we would band together to buy flour in 50 lb. sacks from a bakery supply place and then either split it up into smaller quantities or bake bread for each other. Does anyone do that these days?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Less wasteful than my bag that was purchased around Christmas time and will ultimately get tossed.  I buy the smallest bags I can find anytime I buy flour, yet I still use it so little that most of it gets tossed.  The only time flour really ever gets used here is when my daughter comes home and bakes cookies for us.

Flour will keep practically forever if you simply keep it in something that will seal tightly, such as a Tupperware container.  Unprocessed wheat will keep even longer, especially if you replace the air in the container before sealing.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

There was a time, decades ago now, when we all used to bake much more bread than we do now. As students, we would band together to buy flour in 50 lb. sacks from a bakery supply place and then either split it up into smaller quantities or bake bread for each other. Does anyone do that these days?

About as many as there are ones that learned how to sew. Two things that were huge parts of my life are now obsolete. That's been in the last 20 years. No, I don't like it because it means humans are no longer self sufficient. Think about what that means for the future. All the knowledge necessary for survival in a nontech world lost because people got lazy thanks to huge corporations.

If things really go south, the vast majority of people don't have the first clue how to garden/farm, bake, sew, do carpentry, all the things that we used to learn as part of our daily lives and that is when society and civilization starts breaking down at breakneck speed.

Yeah, us old people are useless. 9_9

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I was watching a couple of doctors talking about this just last night.. The confusion could be what is put on the death certificate..

Since it is mostly killing people with underlying health conditions, that the disease is not killing everyone in the same way.. So the reason for death could be getting split up when they give the reason for death on the death certificate..

Yes, this.  Plus, I have read that where the person was not tested either before or after death, the cause of death is not being listed as COVID-19.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1448 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.