Name Your Home

93YearOld

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My home is named Leeland. Original it's not. But it has two Lee's who occupy it (Riley and myself) and the word itself flows off the tongue to me at least. Kind of reminds me of an old Aussie show "Ask the Leyland Brothers" about two real life adventurers (which isn't really relevant here unless one considers one's virtual home an adventure?) Besides it's better than a friend of mine who called his home Nowhere. So when I ask where he is and he says nowhere I have to ask "Nowhere in particular or nowhere at your home?" Men are jerks but not really.

My house-hunting alt usually names his homes My Place which is a step up from keyboard mashing letters I suppose. Another bonus point for originality. Not. -.-

• Like 7

I went with a gothic theme in my Victorian and named it accordingly. It is called Villa Diodati. The real life version in Switzerland was were some of the famous gothic horror stories such as Mary Shelly's 'Frankenstein' was spawned.

Sometimes I name my home in relation to the name of the region they are situated in. My home in Toads Hollow was themed around 'The Wind in the Willows' and was named Wild Wood Cottage. 

• Like 5

On 3/4/2020 at 6:48 AM, Elena Core said:

My homes are always the same name, Itaca (Spanish spelling for Ithaka), after the great poem by Konstantino Kavafis. I highly recommend his poetry if you haven't read him

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/51296/ithaka-56d22eef917ec (a version in English for you)

Lovely poem. When I have a houseboat it is always called after some character from the Odyssey. Usually Poseidon or Calypso.

Edited by Elyeah
  • Like 4

What a lovely idea for a thread - it’s fascinating to hear what people have chosen.

For my camper, I picked the name “Running River” on the sign up page in the hope it might end up near some water...and it worked! I ended up with Lake Tatakaka on one side and a gorgeous little stream on the other, and “Running River” it has remained.

My Vic was called “Sweet Paeonia” from the get-go, probably for obvious reasons. I really should plant some peonies...

• Like 3

I have no idea how I named the house, it went too quickly. I name it myself for what it is and its address: My SL home: *** 174101 Evard Riverside, North Bellisseria *** ... but I also had the house number on the first day, and since Jul 24 - 2019 always still the same (never changed)

Edited by 811Lord
  • Like 3

On 3/4/2020 at 12:43 PM, Raspberry Crystal said:

Nobody has a 'keyboard smash' name for their house? :D

vbuhjmkl 

I do. 😳 And every time I try to come up with something witty, I get distracted (probably because it takes too long) and then I forget. Guess it will be iowhgwui forever 🙄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Myzabella said:
On 3/4/2020 at 4:43 AM, Raspberry Crystal said:

Nobody has a 'keyboard smash' name for their house? :D

vbuhjmkl 

I do. 😳 And every time I try to come up with something witty, I get distracted (probably because it takes too long) and then I forget. Guess it will be iowhgwui forever 🙄

All of mine are keyboard mash to start with.  And yep, depending on how distracted I get will dictate how long it stays that way.

• Haha 5

• 1 month later...

I’ve consistently called my homes in SL “LuLu’s Sweet Escape,” after Gwen Stefani’s “The Sweet Escape.” The song came out the same year (2006) that I joined SL. With Bellisseria, I shortened it to “Sweet Escape”. My first houseboat was “Dream,” because it was a dream fulfilled to land one. My Vics have been “Dreamwell”. With the arrival of the log homes, I’ve been naming my cabin “Up North” for a nod to my Michigan roots. When I’m spinning the wheel and house hopping, the homes will be called “On the Road Again.”

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.