Do you do it for the likes?

Zzevir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Zzevir said:

So do you post for the likes or just to show of. Or just for your on fun? 

Usually I post when I feel like I have something to say or when I'm having too much fun following the conversation and I have to add something funny. Likes ... I'm not interested , not at all. I don't even notice them. now, .. cough*** ... can you like my comment ? pretty please.. please...please.... please

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I honestly do not post to get likes. I do appreciate it but it is unlooked for. 

One thing I noticed on the forums is that the OP, the person starting a thread, usually doesn't get any likes for the starting post. Posting replies gets likes but starting threads does not. Weird huh? 

• Like 3

A little over 2 years ago, I joined a group in SL called Chiaroscuro, which is a fantasy-themed LGBT sim region. Every Saturday they have a party with a themed costume contest, and when I started doing those I realised how much I enjoyed putting new looks and costumes together and showing them off. Once a week isn't enough though, which is why I do it more often and post pics on the forum.

I don't do it for the likes (although I did discover that I "won the day" a week or two ago, which was a very nice surprise). I don't really care if I don't get a lot of likes, although if I posted something that got no reaction at all, I would be somewhat worried.

My policy for liking back is a bit sporadic; I don't have time to look at every pic that gets posted so I often miss out entire pages of them that I haven't even seen, but of the ones I do see, I "like" most of them. The ones I tend to pass over are ones of scantily-clad female avatars; unless there's something particularly different about the avatar or the pic. I'm not the "target audience" for pics like that. And I definitely do not "like" the sexualised pics of avatars that appear to be underaged, and I've blocked one user who posts pics like that; I do not want them lurking in my cache, however briefly.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I post here for two main reasons. I enjoy trying to make people laugh and I like having somewhere I can occasionally have reasonably intelligent conversations "at my own pace".

You've come pretty close to my motivation, Selene. I rarely start a thread, but I'll jump in when something strikes me as funny or when I think I can say something useful. It's nice when I get a response, especially if someone quotes something I said, but that's not why I am posting.  The only thread that I watch counts in is the photo thread over in the Linden Homes forum, and I only watch that because I'm mildly sensitive to how well people receive my travelogues.  They're my "fun" posts and they take a little more thought to do, so it's nice to know when people are looking at them.  I recognize when other people are putting some effort into a post too, so I tend to "like" those because I genuinely like them. 

• Like 8

When you're new to this, and never posted here, that first post is a big deal.

A really big deal. You see the dynamics in play, and the likes, and the whole thing is intimidating.

There must be folks out there who read all this, and just can't make that first post. So they miss out on the community here.

When you make your first post, what response you get matters. Including likes.

As time goes on, it's not so important, and posting just becomes what you do. But it's still nice to get likes, sure it is.

• Like 8

It is nice to get acknowledgements, especially when I'm not sure if what I've written makes sense! Or if I say something which seems funny in my own head and others agree. The likes are an easy way for people to realise that what they are saying is being read, and it is encouraging in that way. Being quoted, or responded to in other ways is nice as well. Surely this is how we work as human beings, hoping that what we say matters? On the whole anyway!

I think where a few people diverge from my thinking is in seeing the numbers as a competitive game, or believe that enjoying the likes is a bad thing in itself. It would be an empty experience for me to design posts just to 'up an arbitrary score'. There has to be more to the desire to be here than that. I see the forum as a place to share our experiences of being in SL, and the sharing back and forth is a big part of my overall enjoyment of the platform.

• Like 8

As others have already said better than I can, I don’t post for the likes, but I do post to be part of the community here. It is nice to get positive feedback, and to feel like what I have written is being read and understood.

Not many people would admit to posting just for likes if that is their motivation.

• Like 5

I am certainly not posting anything for the likes. Of course it is nice to get a honest like but it's no drama when there is no like at all. I like my pictures or, in case i wrote something intelligent, i like that by myself. That's usually enough.

As for the photos ... i am not only 'liking' the outcome but also the thoughts behind it and the work. I might not like the pic but see the effort being put in and that can be worth my 'like'.

18 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

The ones I tend to pass over are ones of scantily-clad female avatars; unless there's something particularly different about the avatar or the pic. I'm not the "target audience" for pics like that. And I definitely do not "like" the sexualised pics of avatars that appear to be underaged, and I've blocked one user who posts pics like that; I do not want them lurking in my cache, however briefly.

nods a lot to that

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.