Do you do it for the likes?

Zzevir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Initially I started just reading the forums for information about SL.  I rarely posted until this incarnation of the forums, because I did not feel that I would fit into the community that was prevalent in the older version of the forums.  Mainly I post for a sense of being part of the community here.  I still read more than I post, but I still feel like I am a part of the community. 

The likes are nice - I see them as an acknowledgment of my contributions - but they are not the primary reason why I post.  Neither is trying to have a high post count (in fact I'm amazed that my post count is as high as it is, after posting here for almost 3 years).   Often I post because I feel that I have something to contribute to the discussion or because I want to share my experience or opinion.  I do post in various picture threads, but not everyday.  I don't come into SL every day in order to find an outfit, a location and take photos to post here or on Flickr.  When I do post pictures though, it's because I want to share something about what I was doing, or where I was that day, and to participate in the community.  

So I think for me, the primary reason is to feel that I am a participating member of the community.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Nope. After I post something, I rarely go back and look at it to see how many likes (or scorn laughs) it got. I check the notifications to see if anyone responded directly to me to see if I need to respond back, but the reaction emojis are pretty meaningless since they are assigned so many different meanings by whoever is leaving the reaction, or receiving the reaction. 

• Like 7

Our modern monkey brains have translated 'faves' and 'likes' into social acceptance, which is something we crave; having your virtual content given positive feedback releases endorphins, not much unlike certain drugs. Just like drugs, it can develop into an addictive behavior, and when we don't get the 'likes' we crave and expect, the emptiness can manifest as depression.

I've already stated several times both on these forums and on Flickr that I'm not doing the 'fave-game'. I don't trade 'likes for likes' and I don't prostitute myself to attain them (i.e. change my behavior to be more likable, or put any effort into maximizing my exposure). The forums, just like Second Life itself, is just a part of my life; I don't use it for escapism but to explore my creativity in other ways, and because I enjoy the socialization it offers - but I get to express myself creatively through my profession, I'm very much content with my life in general, and I don't have any issues socializing in RL apart perhaps from the fact that I live in a fairly small village in the middle of nowhere.

If there'd be no responses at all to what I do share though, I'd perhaps stop sharing it and just keep it for myself. I periodically don't put up my pictures on Flickr or here (usually both as I find it more convenient to share here as a Flickr link, due to the limitation on file sizes for the forum uploads), and sometimes I'm in a mood where I can make several simpler shots to reply in the form of an image (a bit like using a gif or a meme). I have a fair amount of pictures on my computer that I haven't shared (my hard drive has >10,000 images from SL on it - I should probably try to clean it up a bit some day - quite a lot are duplicates though as I'll take a shot, look at it, go back and tinker with the lighting or DOF, do it again, notice an accessory is clipping, go back, fix that, re-shoot; I usually get it right fairly quick, but sometimes, especially when working with windlights or complex outfits, there can be up to a dozen shots before I'm satisfied). 

TL:DR - no, as much as positive feedback is nice, I don't put any value in likes/faves. Not an addict.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I don't pay much attention to likes.  I do get a warm fuzzy when someone quotes me, tho.

Once you assign a number to anything it becomes a game and I am sure there are competitive people that will play to win that game.  That is neither a good thing nor a bad thing.  It is just a thing.

/me gives Rhonda a warm fuzzy feeling.

I post to share myself, with anyone who might be interested. I comment to show appreciation to others who post. I post to be helpful or answer questions when I feel I have something of value to add to a conversation. If my goal were the likes, I'd probably post a lot more than I do.
   While I do look at likes from time to time, I much more rarely look at my reputation number. I don't feel I am in competition with anyone, and to be honest, if all the likes and/or reactions and total reputation numbers were removed from these forums, I'm not sure how I'd feel.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I post when I feel like I have something to contribute to the conversation, or sometimes just to add a funny.  I used to post in the picture threads a lot, but not so much anymore.  In all cases, I seldom go back and check the reactions.  More so if I posted something that I thought was a funny - because humor is more apt to be misinterpreted.

In conversation and Answers threads, I give Likes to comments that I agree with or sometimes just to show acknowledgement or support of the post.  

In the picture threads, I am all over the board depending on my mood that day and how much time I have to look through the threads -- those suckers can grow many pages in half a day sometimes.  I do try to always give a Like to new people posting in the thread, to encourage them to post.  For the regulars, I will sometimes go through and Like almost everything and other times Like only the things that jump out at me while I'm quickly scrolling through.  There are a few people that I almost never Like their photos -- almost being the operative word there.  That is because they tend to post pictures that are of a style or type that I just really do not like -- it has nothing to do with the person themselves.  There are actually a few people in those picture threads that I do not like at all, but yet I have give Likes to some of their photos.

• Like 10

I'm not a prolific poster but I do enjoy coming to the forums and reading, looking at pictures etc. Because I don't post for the sake of posting I do click 'like' on things that positively catch my eye, or are helpful or particularly beautiful. A simple 'like' click lets the owner of that post know I appreciated their contribution. It doesn't matter to me if they have posted once or ten thousand times and it doesn't matter to me who they are, I actually know very few people in world that I have interacted with on the forums so there is no bias. I've joined in and posted some pictures, I've posted a couple today. I'm not very good at it but I made an effort by changing my graphics settings, saving to disk and cropping out anything that looked a bit naff and a few people clicked 'like'. That did give me a bit of a warm fuzzy feeling, yes, but it was more about wanting to join in and be part of the community.

• Like 10

31 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I do get a warm fuzzy when someone quotes me, tho.

Soft kitty, warm kitty, little bar of fur .. It's 'though', damn it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Zzevir said:

I must admit that I like seeing the responses when I do something here on the forum. 

So do you post for the likes or just to show of. Or just for your on fun? 

I post here for two main reasons. I enjoy trying to make people laugh and I like having somewhere I can occasionally have reasonably intelligent conversations "at my own pace".

• Like 10

I post if I have something to say.   I've been here off and on for nearly 10 years and my post count is fairly low for that period of time.  My "like" count for others is also fairly low.  I don't just "like" everything that goes by and expect others to return the favor.  I would hope that any reactions to the few things I do post would have meaning.  What that meaning is can only be guessed at since we are only given a few choices of reactions.  * scorn laughs*

Please press the heart icon at the lower right and choose your reaction of choice.  My ego depends on it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I don't pay much attention to likes.  I do get a warm fuzzy when someone quotes me, tho.

Once you assign a number to anything it becomes a game and I am sure there are competitive people that will play to win that game.  That is neither a good thing nor a bad thing.  It is just a thing.

cLaW5.gif.ce82add13bb63739c4ac337d33950d2e.gif

50pages.gif.f181dd6a85db12b8edb15db64507b0a7.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I'm with you Rhonda, I love that little warm fuzzy feeling when someone quotes me.  But I like the likes too. It's not my only reason for posting, just a pleasant side effect. I don't post in order to get the feedback nor do press the buttons in a "quid pro quo" sort of exchange.  I'm just not that into it.

But in this case I'm quoting Rhonda because I now know she likes it and I like her.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Zzevir said:

I must admit that I like seeing the responses when I do something here on the forum. 

So do you post for the likes or just to show of. Or just for your on fun? 

I tend to post only when I think I have something useful or funny to say.  I don't care about "likes" per se, although I do enjoy the back and forth conversation.  Especially when I need a break from staring at spreadsheets.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.