The Maitreya v5 Hype(?) Thread

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why are there no threads on this yet?

Maitreya's version 5 update is coming out 'in a few days', and so far I'm really liking the features they've brought up. Auto-change foot shape to fit shoes as you put them on, wearing tattoo/underwear/clothing layers is now optional, script removal features, save sticks, etc.

On a scale from 1-whut, how hyped are we?

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Are the feet finally rigged for resizing?

No clue, I'm afraid. Didn't see anything about it when skimming over the features. 

2 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Wasn't script removal already a thing?

I don't think so? I'm not sure though, I tried to remove the scripts a while back and failed - maybe there's a button for it somewhere.

Will we get better options for materials? So far, Maitreya Bodies can't have colourfull speccmaps.
Will we get better controll about those opotional layers? As in, I still want some of my tattoos to be fullbright and stuff.

And yes, scriptremoval already was a thing, I did that alot for contest-outfits.

Hyped? Minus 10. 

Where was the update announced? The blog is as dead as it's always been. Most folks will probably notice when the update is delivered.
I always thought I was subscribed to a subscrib-O-newsletter, but not part of the Lara Friends inworld group.

The HUD does have this button:

Apg165MuPX.jpg.467f5d005a70517b86b3034c49ffe115.jpg

If it never did anything... well.

I have doubts that the auto-footshape-change feature will work on previously released shoes, probably needing a new script to detect the proper match.

Honestly no idea what "wearing layers is optional" is supposed to mean. Is that BOM-related?

What are "save sticks"?

• Thanks 1

I wonder if "hype" is quite the right word. About 75% of the residents of SL still seem to have only the vaguest notion of what BOM even is . . . although I suppose Lara is sufficiently popular (or dominating) that people will get excited about an update even if they don't really understand what it's about.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Hyped? Minus 10. 

Where was the update announced? The blog is as dead as it's always been. Most folks will probably notice when the update is delivered.
I always thought I was subscribed to a subscrib-O-newsletter, but not part of the Lara Friends inworld group.

The HUD does have this button:

Apg165MuPX.jpg.467f5d005a70517b86b3034c49ffe115.jpg

If it never did anything... well.

I have doubts that the auto-footshape-change feature will work on previously released shoes, probably needing a new script to detect the proper match.

Honestly no idea what "wearing layers is optional" is supposed to mean. Is that BOM-related?

What are "save sticks"?imageproxy.php?img=&key=a03a54f708f2dfe5

Update notices  was in Maitreya VIP group

• Thanks 1

Advanced

The Advanced button opens a panel with extra options for customizing your body layer. Here you can tint your skin, your HD nipples or the shine from materials. There is the option to set your body in full bright mode and a slider for glow (both of these options are not really for every day use, but certain appliers or fantasy characters may require these options). On this advanced panel you also find the preset buttons and control sliders for materials: the specular (shine) and bump maps. The material presets are to enhance the realism and detailing of the skin.

With the new V5 applier scripts you can now also make appliers just for materials. Bakes on Mesh wearables lack the ability of materials, but by creating materials appliers for the body, those can be used in combination with BoM.

I'm hyped.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Catrie said:

Thanks.

Sure, why post it to the main feed on the product blog, if you can hide it in the side navigation? 🙄

The guess about the "auto matching feet" feature was apparently right:

To set up the script
Place the script in the content of your shoes, you can change the scripts next owner permission to copy/no transfer or to transfer/no copy. In the Feet Auto-Select Confiq Notecard you need to write name of the feet shape you want the script to auto select for your shoes. The names are: flat, low, mid, high and ballet. Insert the notecard in the shoes as well. The script will now read the load card and will delete it. Set up is complete.

Notice that it says FOUR feet types. Ballet is a newcomer...

Layer-wise, the screenshot seems to suggest that Lara will get single arm support:

Examples_Layers1.jpg

Summary on "Save Sticks": https://sl-maitreya.blogspot.com/p/save-hud.html

Changes and additions to the nipples, but the status quo is considered the "normal" state.

EDIT: Oh... and tucked away in the "how to replace links" instructions:

Since the hands and feet are attached in v5.0 you will no longer need them in your outfits as separate attachments. 

Edited by Lillith Hapmouche
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Layer-wise, the screenshot seems to suggest that Lara will get single arm support:

Yes, you'll now be able to wear tattoos on arms, hands and feet separately.

I joined the Maitreya Lara Friends group. It has a HUD one can wear, click and get the update sent (when it's out in the store). This way we don't have to hammer at a full sim.

I know other mesh bodies already has a button for updates in their HUD, but since Maitreya hasn't had an update in ages, our 4.1 does not have it. 

Edit: Version 5 will have this update button in the HUD.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

I'll be watching this with interest: it might be enough to push me to take the plunge and finally get a Lara.

I've no intention of entirely replacing my Physique, which I mostly quite like (especially in the new Redux version), but clearly, if I want to continue my shopping habits, I'm going to need a body that is actually supported by creators.

2 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

This. The Tonic has had this for a couple years and it requires a script in the shoes, just as auto-hide alpha cuts require a script in the mesh clothing. The only work around is to put the script into a prim that you also wear with the item, perhaps transparent and hidden at avatar center.

I like 2 things (so far, have not studied the information so well)

- 5 feet heights that can be changed individually. Slink has this. It will be good for posing. One feet flat, the other pointed, etc, etc. Our three old heights plus low and ballet. I assume low is a Kitten heel - type.

- Layers that can be added when necessary. I don't use layers, haven't done it since I started with BoM. But it is safe to have them, for the occasional ball gown with applier top, the applier lingerie, the tattoos I have where the creator does not upgrade to BoM.

This is the best part. Can have BoM and travel light without more than the body, add a layer when needed.

It looks like the body has materials now. Good for the shiny skin. I am not a big fan of it, but it is very popular now.

Will be interesting to compare the 4.1 version and the 5 version. I am very happy with this.

Re: script removal. It will be finer grained than before, with a button to remove scripts from individual layers. Detailed here: https://sl-maitreya.blogspot.com/p/misc.html

I'm about 5% hyped because that's the percentage of my outfits that use Lara. Maybe 7.5% after reading the section on nipples. Puffy nipples?? Those were such a look back in the Lola days :P

36 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

BUT if we don't want to UPDATE, does that mean that we will get the constant NAG and redelivery that has been so prevalent in the past?

Not sure, for me it's been my Bloodlines nexus and Signature body telling me there's an update when logging in - but I think both of them are limited to 3 reminders before they shut up.

Definitely not a fan of permanently attached hands. The Maitreya hands are, or at least used to be, not... Great, compared to the competition, while also very heavy to render.

I know you can hide them, but that's still tons or polygons that aren't even visible.

Otherwise it seems like a good update.

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Like 1

Maitreya is sending out nail covers (hands and feet) with the same texture as the Glam Affair skins. Will be a great match with old skins.

I wish Glam Affair do as League and Izzies and give them out for free. That way, all BoM body uses get matching nail covers, not just Maitreya body users.

I have used white nail covers and tinted them, but that reminds me of the days when tinting was all we could do to match various parts... uuugh.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.