The Maitreya v5 Hype(?) Thread

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I have 700-800 bits of clothing in my clothing folder. About a third of those are in trash subfolders, a further third may have been worn once or twice; but that still leaves 200+ alphas that I'd need to manually make just to make my wardrobe usable. 

Given that a lot of clothes work with the same alphas though, you could relatively easily just have one folder for alphas (with sub-folders for specific areas) where you keep a selection of alphas that could correspond more or less to the alpha slices (not individually, but say you make one folder for 'sleeves', and have 10 different sleeve lengths in there), then whenever you buy a new piece of clothing and find it would benefit from an alpha, try the ones you have out to see which one suits best, and just make a link to that alpha in that folder.

Yes, life is too short for a lot of things, but wasting time on lagging is worse than setting yourself up for a more enjoyable experience. Do you prefer a McDonald's cheese burger because it's quick and easy or an actual burger that takes a little bit of time and effort to make, but tastes better and is much healthier? People have different preferences, but personally I haven't stepped into a McDonald's for years.

• Like 4

I collect alpha-layers. Like Orwar I keep all my alphas in a single folder. I do use subfolders in it. But basically all in one place.

I even take some alphas from individual items. Those I think will be handy.

I think so far I have made about half dozen on my own. NCore's open toed boots that are a fav of mine... There are lots of thigh-high boot alphas, just not with open toes.

Slink makes a tat that a wear for making alphas. It is one of the colored UV maps with lots of little squares. I got the last two alphas made correctly on the first try. So, that tat is WAY handy.

I now have a master PS file for my alphas... well three, head, upper, and lower. So, while a little annoying, it is quick. 

For those older items I have that I am likely never going to see the designer go back and make an alpha for... being able to make my own is nice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Given that a lot of clothes work with the same alphas though, you could relatively easily just have one folder for alphas (with sub-folders for specific areas) where you keep a selection of alphas that could correspond more or less to the alpha slices (not individually, but say you make one folder for 'sleeves', and have 10 different sleeve lengths in there), then whenever you buy a new piece of clothing and find it would benefit from an alpha, try the ones you have out to see which one suits best, and just make a link to that alpha in that folder.

Yes, life is too short for a lot of things, but wasting time on lagging is worse than setting yourself up for a more enjoyable experience. Do you prefer a McDonald's cheese burger because it's quick and easy or an actual burger that takes a little bit of time and effort to make, but tastes better and is much healthier? People have different preferences, but personally I haven't stepped into a McDonald's for years.

It boils down to effort vs reward, for me personally. Sure, I absolutely prefer the homemade burger; but I'm sitting next to an empty pizza hut box because last night I barely had the energy to shower, chat for half an hour then pass out. And I make a damn good pizza base myself.

For me personally, the performance benefit from stripping out auto-alpha scripts from my clothing is unnoticeable. The performance benefit from not wearing the three applier layers on my body is also unnoticeable. However, the latter is something I can do once (by detaching them) and can undo as and when is appropriate near instantly, thus it's worth my time to detach said layers whenever I'm not using them. Marginal impact, but marginal effort. But going through my wardrobe and manually creating a bespoke alpha layer for each, even if working off templates, for a marginal gain?

For me personally, that is not worth the effort. Everyone's approach to this will vary, of course.

Edited by AyelaNewLife
I did typo
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Orwar said:

Yes, life is too short for a lot of things, but wasting time on lagging is worse than setting yourself up for a more enjoyable experience.

Whole body uses 4 scripts now for the grand total of *160 KB allowed memory size limit, 0.003392 ms of CPU time consumed.* at the time of checking. It's a bit higher when it starts or/and after the teleport, like any other script.

Now if you are one of those who descript absolutely anything and everything, like clothes, hair, accessories and even mesh head, uses server side AO etc; then sure, that's "whole 4 scripts". But that's really nothing, one piece of adult furniture (with extra scripts for various systems) is usually over 0.01 ms (when not used. when used they go up to 0.07-0.08) with 15-20 scripts running, one overscripted "baby" monster (like zooby and similar) can be over 0.2ms alone, so are certain breedables. I won't even bring up certain badly made pathfinding things and how much server time (physics one, which takes priority over scripts) they can use.

I mean, sure, by all means, remove your scripts if you want to, just don't have any illusions it actually does anything to prevent the simulator lag caused by scripts. Your few scripts won't make any difference, nor would even a few hundreds of them, if you have a "scriptless party" with like-minded people. Full 20k prims residental/mixed regions (actually used ones, not mostly abandoned) usually run from 6k to 9k scripts in total just for the rezzed things, sometimes over 10k, if it's 30k region, then it can be 12-14k easily. Yes, like with wearables that number can be easily reduced, you can remove scripts from landscape things and much more, but imagine having to rebuild your (big one. if it's something like LL home, then it's easy) place at least 4 times a year if you like to have different seasons, instead of just wearing a few huds and selecting textures for other seasons. I, personally, don't have time for that and I spend a fair amount of time in world, it's just, you know, I'm here to enjoy my time, not to constantly work on optimization, be it my avatar or my region.

Also (not really directed at you, just in the same message), we shouldn't look for workarounds for LL's laziness. It's 2020, many hardware generations has changed, while scripts in SL did stay the same for the most part. But somehow regions still can't handle even 6k scripts while staying at 100% scripts run. We can't even blame "lazy creators" for that, since it's entirely server side.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Before I was notified and therefore started caring about scripts, I was commonly wearing 8 mb of them. The average person that I see is wearing about that.

So assuming that you have a modest 20 people in a sim, that's 160 mb on top of all the scripted decor, vendors, what have you. And coming in with just 1 mb (what I managed to diet myself to, without losing any everyday functionality) is a noticeable difference... But only if others also do it.

That's why I always recommend clothes and bodies and hair that's either mod or has removable scripts.

9 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

Before I was notified and therefore started caring about scripts, I was commonly wearing 8 mb of them. The average person that I see is wearing about that.

That's a lot and way more than I usually see. But I suppose it does depend on which parts of SL you're around.

Absolutely average outfit from my collection, with a few accessories and ~20-25 attachments points used, is around 2.5mb in total, more fancy ones with sci-fi or magical things a little bit over 3mb. With zero manually descripted items and with a few unnecessary things, like a mesh head HUD for expressions and a couple more other huds. And 768kb of that is for AO from one known animations creator, simply because I like its functions and ease of use, would I be fine without some of its functions, it would be even lower. 8mb is more of what I see in some adult/kinky places, but it's other kind of attachments that inflate their numbers, not clothes or bodies/heads.

For the sake of testing I did put up a few "generic" outfits that I see everywhere (think latest releases from known clothing/hair creators), again with zero descripted items and a few accessories (also scripted for texture changing), but without my AO and those extra huds and number is around 1.6mb, like expected.

It's mostly "adult" stuff that pushes up numbers so high for many people I think (and related HUDs), which people tend to wear all the time for some reason.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

That's a lot and way more than I usually see. But I suppose it does depend on which parts of SL you're around.

Absolutely average outfit from my collection, with a few accessories and ~20-25 attachments points used, is around 2.5mb in total, more fancy ones with sci-fi or magical things a little bit over 3mb. With zero manually descripted items and with a few unnecessary things, like a mesh head HUD for expressions and a couple more other huds. And 768kb of that is for AO from one known animations creator, simply because I like its functions and ease of use, would I be fine without some of its functions, it would be even lower. 8mb is more of what I see in some adult/kinky places, but it's other kind of attachments that inflate their numbers, not clothes or bodies/heads.

For the sake of testing I did put up a few "generic" outfits that I see everywhere (think latest releases from known clothing/hair creators), again with zero descripted items and a few accessories (also scripted for texture changing), but without my AO and those extra huds and number is around 1.6mb, like expected.

It's mostly "adult" stuff that pushes up numbers so high for many people I think (and related HUDs), which people tend to wear all the time for some reason.

I once helped a resident work out what was pushing her script count above 9mb, and thus triggering the bot at a sim we both visited. The culprit was a certain brand of talking ladyparts (which she was wearing but had hidden), with everything else she was wearing coming in at below 1mb script usage in total.

This is what I meant about effort vs reward. Is it worth taking the time to identify which attachment is an obnoxious script hog, and either fixing or removing it? Absolutely, that actually can make a difference, and is something that everyone should check for. My little sandbox platform has a set of "script scales" rezzed for this very reason. But removing stuff like auto-hide scripts (or Maitreya's new foot shape scripts) is the equivalent of arguing over pennies on a mortgage - it's a waste of everyone's time, and will make no noticeable difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

But removing stuff like auto-hide scripts (or Maitreya's new foot shape scripts) is the equivalent of arguing over pennies on a mortgage - it's a waste of everyone's time, and will make no noticeable difference.

Except for the whole "Not having your avatar getting chunks taken out of it because some other clothing item turned off part of your body in another outfit" thing.

Speaking in Maitreya friends; they working on fix for the toes nails so i'm using default nails so I can still wear my pretty open toed shoes till it fixed. 

[2020/02/01 13:53] CS Rep: ღ sεяεη ηεσx-ιηтεямεησs ღ we are going to be putting out a fix for appliers made with those dawn-of-time scripts :) 

Which made me happy because I miss wearing my colourful pretty nails, I know not everyone feels same but this part of way I express myself with fun looking nail designs either on toes or fingers!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Angelina String said:

This was quite cool - the addons that lets you improve your bodyshape while wearing system clothing :D

Smooths cleavage, removes nipples, fixes buttcrack and removes cameltoe... No fix to the left, fix applied to the right.

This one item might nudge me to upgrade faster.   The whole issue about how pants fit in the butt has always been one of my biggest hates in clothing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

The fix has been out for a couple of hours now. Get a redelivery.

I since have, but at time I hadn't logged in World to get however I'm glad it was easy fix!  Thanks for telling me because if I hadn't been aware; I would be now so to me is good information plus helps other users too! :) 

• Like 1

I got the update and I like it very much.

I use a system head with the Maitreya body. There are 2 issues:

-  Even though the second group/line of skins is supposed to match the v4.1 skins, they don't. So to wear the body with my default head and Pink Fuel skin (that doesn't have a body applier. Its an older one, but I love it), I have to rematch the neck fix. Ok, can do. Not as good a match as v4.1, but it'll do.

So I save that config to a save stick.

- When I change to BoM, the neck fix immediately reverts to the un-retouched skin. So I use the save stick to apply the modified skin color and the entire body goes back to non-BoM. It won't apply to the neck fix only.

I have tried with a BoM skin (head and body) and the same thing happens. Regardless of the skin I wear, the neck seam is extremely visible. I tried the skin color tattoos that are included with the v5 release, but there's nothing even close to my skin color and it appears those can't be tinted.

There's really no way (for me) to wear the BoM v5 without the neck fix because that line is too pronounced.

What am I missing or doing incorrectly?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Arwen Serpente said:

-  Even though the second group/line of skins is supposed to match the v4.1 skins, they don't. So to wear the body with my default head and Pink Fuel skin (that doesn't have a body applier. Its an older one, but I love it), I have to rematch the neck fix. Ok, can do. Not as good a match as v4.1, but it'll do.

- When I change to BoM, the neck fix immediately reverts to the un-retouched skin. So I use the save stick to apply the modified skin color and the entire body goes back to non-BoM. It won't apply to the neck fix only.

I have tried with a BoM skin (head and body) and the same thing happens. Regardless of the skin I wear, the neck seam is extremely visible. I tried the skin color tattoos that are included with the v5 release, but there's nothing even close to my skin color and it appears those can't be tinted.

There's really no way (for me) to wear the BoM v5 without the neck fix because that line is too pronounced.

The old Pink Fuel skin should work quite well with BOM - in fact, their breast alignment on Maitreya is better than some Maitreya appliers I've seen.

Are you tinting the body? There's no reason to if you're using BOM.

Part of the neck seam issues with system heads is the fact that the default body and a worn mesh will behave differently under certain lighting conditions and there isn't much you can do about that, especially with advanced lighting on.

When I wear the PF skin, that's all I wear - I'm not tinting it at all. I do understand there will be a difference between the default head and the mesh body, which is why I have always used the neck fix to blend them. With Slink, the neck fix is a separate piece and can be worn independently. With Maitreya, it appears it is part of the Glam Skin appliers on the HUD.  I tried using the Slink neck fix but it doesn't fit. I think that unless Maitreya makes the neck fix a separate item that can be tinted, residents with the default head/mesh body combination are going to suffer that neck seam if they try to wear the v5 BoM version.

10 hours ago, Arwen Serpente said:

Are you removing your body alpha? This is needed to use BoM and for the skin to apply to both the head and the body.

Also, have you tried the neck fix, even turning it off may help (you never know). Also have you tried to change the neck fat?

Can you tell me which PF skin that you use? Is it still sold? Maybe I can purchase it and try it all on my end, if it not expensive.

Edited by ClariceRose

5 hours ago, ClariceRose said:

Can you tell me which PF skin that you use? Is it still sold? Maybe I can purchase it and try it all on my end, if it not expensive.

I don't know if it's all their system skins, but I picked up the old system version of a skin I used for my mesh body, and paid L$1 for the BOM fix for it, it was very cheap (can't remember how much exactly).

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

I don't know if it's all their system skins, but I picked up the old system version of a skin I used for my mesh body, and paid L$1 for the BOM fix for it, it was very cheap (can't remember how much exactly).

Thanks Orwar! I'll check it out.

Having experimented with a variety of BoM and Classic skins at this point, the issue (for me) isn't the skins.  It's the combination of a default head and mesh body that causes the neck seam to be so pronounced and the only way to mask it is with a neck fix. I've been using BoM since it was released last summer with the Slink Redux body without issue. For Maitreya though, it appears the neck fix only works for the non-BoM mode. I'm going to contact Maitreya customer support regarding the issue and see what they can tell me.

Just now, Arwen Serpente said:

It's the combination of a default head and mesh body that causes the neck seam to be so pronounced and the only way to mask it is with a neck fix.

Hm, could you show a picture perhaps? 

I don't remember whether it's usually the bodies or heads that have the fitting options, but sometimes you'll need to fiddle with the neck options a bit to get it to look good - for Neph I went with a higher body fat option than I actually have, as that made the two overlap to a point where the seam turned pretty much invisible. 

There always will be a seam though, and how pronounced it is will depend on your graphic settings and the lighting (both local and WL) - so in essence, anyone else who looks at your avatar may see things differently. 

45 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Hm, could you show a picture perhaps? 

I don't remember whether it's usually the bodies or heads that have the fitting options, but sometimes you'll need to fiddle with the neck options a bit to get it to look good - for Neph I went with a higher body fat option than I actually have, as that made the two overlap to a point where the seam turned pretty much invisible. 

There always will be a seam though, and how pronounced it is will depend on your graphic settings and the lighting (both local and WL) - so in essence, anyone else who looks at your avatar may see things differently. 

Here are some screen shots to illustrate what I am experiencing. I get great results in non-BoM mode with neck fix ON (always have). When the neck fix is OFF, the seam is visible. Yes, I do realize lighting can affect the result - these pictures are actually the best result I can get - noon sun; ALM off. I generally don't use ALM for a variety of reasons that are off topic here.

Non BoM mode:
V4.1: Pink Fuel Ember skin on head; Glam Affair skin on body (from Maitreya HUD and tinted to match); Neck fix ON ->  no seam

V5: Pink Fuel Ember skin on head; Glam Affair skin on body (from Maitreya HUD and tinted to match); Neck fix ON -> no seam

V5/V4.1: Pink Fuel Ember skin on head; Glam Affair skin on body (from Maitreya HUD and tinted to match); Neck fix OFF -> visible seam

BoM mode:
V5: Pink Fuel Skin and Neck fix OFF -> visible seam

V5: Pink Fuel Skin with Neck fix ON -> Neck fix does not retain the custom tint and reverts to the base Glam Affair color used. It cannot be tinted without affecting the PF skin on the body resulting in a horrid mismatch.

6 minutes ago, Arwen Serpente said:

V5: Pink Fuel Skin with Neck fix ON -> Neck fix does not retain the custom tint and reverts to the base Glam Affair color used. It cannot be tinted without affecting the PF skin on the body resulting in a horrid mismatch.

Hm.

Okay, so, this did work for me - I applied the applier version of my skin whilst wearing the neck fix, and then I went and put BOM back; however doing this will require you to have both an applier and system version of your skin.

Snapshot_192.thumb.png.fee4352eef5939f6478c3ff8ea3f6476.png

But it also shows why I never liked them to begin with ...

Snapshot_193.thumb.png.a7916bc4cd10f220d189c5a7f1c6b9fa.png

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.