Patch Linden

🎄 Seasonal Content and Decoration Guidelines 🎃

Seasonal and holiday decorations are permitted as long as they are tastefully applied. 

This concerns me as taste is subjective and as we've seen can sometimes offend or disrupt their neighbours, be it inadvertently or otherwise. But I love the rest and truly think it's fair and necessary. Thanks for clearing it up and ending the debate @Patch Linden and team! 👍

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RaeLeeH said:

This concerns me as taste is subjective and as we've seen can sometimes offend or disrupt their neighbours, be it inadvertently or otherwise. But I love the rest and truly think it's fair and necessary. Thanks for clearing it up and ending the debate @Patch Linden and team! 

Yes, personal taste will always be subjective. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We're hoping for a couple of things. That people will think about their neighbors when decorating; but even if your neighbor puts out something a little gaudy for your taste, remember it is only temporary and will be gone in a month or so. Let everyone have their fun and live and let live.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

Of *course* it's subjective; everything is.  Nevertheless, despite the protestations of armchair lawyers, reasonable people can almost always agree on what is tasteful and what is grotesque.  If in doubt, leave it out.

Edited by Gib Ferryhill
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

Decoration should not be placed out any earlier than 30 days in advance of any holiday or season represented and must be removed within 15 days of the holiday or season passing.

Yes, I am playing devil's advocate here, because it will come up - that is the nature of SL:

So, if MY winter in RL is during the typical summer of the USA, am I still permitted light snow during MY winter?

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

So, if MY winter in RL is during the typical summer of the USA, am I still permitted light snow during MY winter?

I took this to mean holiday season and not winter season, or summer season, etc.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

• Seasonal and holiday decorations are permitted as long as they are tastefully applied. 
  • Natural seasonal elements are permitted if they are applied subtly, such as a light dusting of snow or a scatter of leaves. 

5 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I took this to mean holiday season and not winter season, or summer season, etc.

Patch does mention them as separate items rather than just the 'seasonal aspect of holidays'. The 'scatter of leaves' I take to refer to Autumn/Fall rather than any 'holiday' celebration ("Happy Leafdrop!" ? ;) ).

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes, I am playing devil's advocate here, because it will come up - that is the nature of SL:

If it’s tastefully done and within the rules of the covenant, go for it! I flew by a Home last night with full bright square prim snow, full bright trees, full bright everything. I don’t know how those neighbors are coping, lol!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Walpurgisnacht said:

... The 'scatter of leaves' I take to refer to Autumn/Fall rather than any 'holiday' celebration ("Happy Leafdrop!" ? ;) ).

85c96319bec5f6e9e139ec898f8664f3.png.ee2c4194d406fbadc0b535bf09b3fa69.png

• Haha 16

Thank you so much for making things a bit more clear about decorating our homes for the holidays. I'll look forward to wandering around Bellisseria seeing what others come up with since I'll still be decorating my family's home before we retire to the family sim for the holidays. 😊

The clearer guidelines are most appreciated! 

Edited by LyricalBookworm
  • Like 3

Thanks, Patch, your policy walks a delicate line well, and gives those tasked with enforcing it a lot of leeway to solve disputes quickly.  But I have to say I'm disappointed not to see my fellow residents posting pics of tasteful/not tasteful for some guidance!  I can't go inworld today, otherwise I would mock up some things like:

> Yes or no:  A cloud with not-much-glow particle snow falling, mostly confined to parcel? 

> Yes or no:   A yard display with... say ...  a gingerbread house on top of a tasteless mound of full=bright prim snow?

> Yes or no:  A big santa-with-sleigh positioned 20 meters over the house?  How about if it's moving around, but staying within parcel boundaries?

> And HA!   I don't care if it's OK to have to have a tacky snowman that throws temp-rez snowballs or turkeys at passersby.  I'm doing it!

Maybe.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

> Yes or no:  A big santa-with-sleigh positioned 20 meters over the house?  How about if it's moving around, but staying within parcel boundaries?

It's above 15m above ground level, so no. (Would also apply to the cloud possibly)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Knutz Scorpio said:

So my Zombie Wise Men .... Not a good idea?

Nativity-550x321.jpg

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Haha 10