🎄 Seasonal Content and Decoration Guidelines 🎃

Patch Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 11/9/2019 at 11:50 AM, Milk Pixelmaid said:

If it’s tastefully done and within the rules of the covenant, go for it! I flew by a Home last night with full bright square prim snow, full bright trees, full bright everything. I don’t know how those neighbors are coping, lol!

Call me crazy, but I would love to live next-door to somebody like that. For the record, I had the most heavily decorated house on my block, during the Halloween season. A crypt with lightening flashes & bats, a cemetery, lots of fog, sound effects, a skeleton candy dispenser, and a ghoul that sprayed vomit when you walk past it. It was awesome. Gaudy holiday decor is so much fun. 🤩

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MamaP Beerbaum said:

So I put my Christmas decorations up, as I have in RL as well, before this was written.  So I have to now take them down till Nov. 25th??  Hardly seems fair :(

I was fixing to put some up myself, before I read the rules. If I were you, I'd just keep them up and not worry. The chances of being reported are slim. There's always that one person though, that Scrooge who doesn't get laid often enough, and they love to tattle about such things. Put a large snowman out in front, holding a sign that reads "Snitches get stitches". 🤣  See how that works.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

42 minutes ago, Cherry75 said:

I was fixing to put some up myself, before I read the rules. If I were you, I'd just keep them up and not worry. The chances of being reported are slim. There's always that one person though, that Scrooge who doesn't get laid often enough, and they love to tattle about such things. Put a large snowman out in front, holding a sign that reads "Snitches get stitches". 🤣  See how that works.

Wow.

Did you know that suicides spike in December? That for some people all Hallmark holiday faux and forced cheer make them feel completely alone and worthless to the point that it just seems to be easier to not live facing another day of feeling inadequate? Also, some people use SL as a way to escape those feelings of inadequacy for a few hours?

Patch was careful to look at multiple sides of this issue and come up with a compromise that was fair and equitable to all.

I expect to see Christmas crap after Thanksgiving. I can prepare myself for that. It’s freaking November 11th. How selfish to force Christmas on people who wish to avoid it as much as possible for 1/6 of the year.

Its a religious holiday that I don’t participate in since it’s not my religion. Making ill-informed and hateful “jokes” is religious intolerance and bigoted.

That one person you refer to probably has valid reasons for disliking the holidays that are completely unrelated to Charles Dickens or sex.

Glad you’re not my neighbor.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, MamaP Beerbaum said:

So I put my Christmas decorations up, as I have in RL as well, before this was written.  So I have to now take them down till Nov. 25th??  Hardly seems fair

only on the outside but the good news is maybe get some of your sl friends and have a decorating party   within the allowed time   !!!!   

Edited by roseelvira
pc not typing correctly keybiard problems
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cherry75 said:

If you're going to advertise on SL's forums, moderated and read by Lindens, that you have no intention of following their rules.... let's see how THAT works. 🙄

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Cherry75 said:

that Scrooge who doesn't get laid often enough, and they love to tattle about such things. Put a large snowman out in front, holding a sign that reads "Snitches get stitches".

So, this is you with holiday spirit, is it?   Read the quote carefully and picture Jesus saying it.

Live and let live, babe.  Just because someone doesn't agree with you that rules are made to be flaunted, doesn't mean you get to threaten bodily harm.  

/me gives you a copy of Rousseau's "Social Contract" for Christmas.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

In real life it takes the joy away from the special time christmas is with the decoration put up   in stores before halloween is over    !!!!    I remember a time when the holiday  decorating started after thanksgiving . No one ever put the decoration up before a certain time. The outside cristmas lights were put up towards the evening.  First Sunday in December every year  was the day  closer to evening   for the lights to be put up.   In childhood years we knew the First Sundayin December   lights went up and that was the start of waiting for Santa.

• Like 8

• Moderators

Greetings all!

Good News!  Abuse Reports are completely anonymous, so unless you tell someone that you filed an AR  the person who was reported has absolutely no way of finding out, if or who, filed the Abuse Report. 

Linden Home regions have a covenant that must be followed, by every owner.  Any parcel that has content that you believe violates the covenant should be reported by submitting an Abuse Report and the Governance Team will be able to review the report as quickly as possible.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 15

21 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Wow.

Did you know that suicides spike in December? That for some people all Hallmark holiday faux and forced cheer make them feel completely alone and worthless to the point that it just seems to be easier to not live facing another day of feeling inadequate? Also, some people use SL as a way to escape those feelings of inadequacy for a few hours?

Patch was careful to look at multiple sides of this issue and come up with a compromise that was fair and equitable to all.

I expect to see Christmas crap after Thanksgiving. I can prepare myself for that. It’s freaking November 11th. How selfish to force Christmas on people who wish to avoid it as much as possible for 1/6 of the year.

Its a religious holiday that I don’t participate in since it’s not my religion. Making ill-informed and hateful “jokes” is religious intolerance and bigoted.

That one person you refer to probably has valid reasons for disliking the holidays that are completely unrelated to Charles Dickens or sex.

Glad you’re not my neighbor.

Ummmm... What? You read all of that into what I joked about? I honestly don't think anybody commits suicide over gaudy holiday decor in Second Life. This is the wackiest knee-jerk reaction I've ever seen in my entire 20 years on the internet. Have a cookie and chill.

I'm an Atheist, btw... so you can miss me with that "religious intolerance" stuff, mmmkay? IF you did a small bit of research, you would find that Yule (as it was originally called) is a pagan holiday that was appropriated by christians. Either way, it's not a religious thing for me. I simply enjoy the aesthetics.

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cherry75 said:

It was pretty obvious with the laughing smiley and all. I suspect that somebody lacks a sense of humor.

*looks at your "joke" again* 

Judging by all the laugh emojis I do not see, I suspect that somebody lacks the ability to tell a joke that is actually funny.  :) 

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 4.33.46 PM.png

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cherry75 said:

Ummmm... What? You read all of that into what I joked about? I honestly don't think anybody commits suicide over gaudy holiday decor in Second Life. This is the wackiest knee-jerk reaction I've ever seen in my entire 20 years on the internet. Have a cookie and chill.

I'm an Atheist, btw... so you can miss me with that "religious intolerance" stuff, mmmkay? IF you did a small bit of research, you would find that Yule (as it was originally called) is a pagan holiday that was appropriated by christians. Either way, it's not a religious thing for me. I simply enjoy the aesthetics.

Have a nice day.

You really don't want to start with me... 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Chuckey Jigsaw said:

We always start decorating around the 1st of Advent, as @roseelvira stated above, it's the first sunday in december. And we put the decorations down around the 8th of january, after the Epiphany. Some people even do it right after the New Years, which I think is totally fine, since it has been up long enough by then

and all the christmas baking and cooking  We also played not only christmas carols during that time but also what was on the radio ,,,,, funny some times when i certain songs comes on    good memories of dacorating the tree and singing ,,, ususally the top hits of that year   would be playing as we decorated the tree , but when grand parents came over had to play  the christmas carols ,,,,,  

eggnog ,   good times 

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.