Identifying an alt

usedcars

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

i simply answered the OP question i have been reading this forum for 5 years and you guys seem to not like doing that on this forum.

I've been in SL and on the forums far longer than 5 years. I've answered far more questions than you can imagine.

I am stating the fact i quite often see people come on here ask a question and no one really answers it, sorry for actually answering a question.

(not sure how this is relevant but)
I have read the SL forums EVERY DAY FOR 5 YEARS ive been in SL 12 years during that time i read the forum sometimes, i have answered millions of questions inworld it is totally irrelevant to the forum.

perhaps you are upset because you have a lot of alts :)

awesome song @ Gregorian Chant

Edited by JUSTUS Palianta
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

I am stating the fact i quite often see people come on here ask a question and no one really answers it, sorry for actually answering a question.

(not sure how this is relevant but)
I have read the SL forums EVERY DAY FOR 5 YEARS ive been in SL 12 years during that time i read the forum sometimes, i have answered millions of questions inworld it is totally irrelevant to the forum.

perhaps you are upset because you have a lot of alts :)

You're funny. No one is upset. And I don't have a lot of alts. But nice try.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

no actually normally they log in them in one after the other,

its a proven method i have found piles of alts this way

Maybe it's just the way I use my accounts but how I log in with mine .. you are wrong

Also I have no pattern. I log in which ever one I feel like at the time

Edited by Layla Claven
missed word
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

One way you can work out someone is an alt.  Is rez a online tracker.  Add the two avatars you suspect are the same person and sit back and watch.  

Sorry, but . . . why do you care? Why is this useful information?

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

I don't think I've ever done that with my alts.  I either log one in to play with or I log them all in to play TE(tiny empires), but one after another?  Nah... wait, maybe if there is some fantastic freebie that I want for all of them, then I'd do that for all the boys or all the girls, depending on what it was.  Or if it was not gender related, then the non binary ones could get it too.

Well, one way you can identify my alts is to see who uploaded their profile picture. My alts are mostly broke, and I don't use the website to update their profiles because that means logging in and out on the site, so as the one with the money who is taking the photos, I upload all their profile pictures in world myself. You can click on a profile picture (if you are using old style profiles, at least) and it will show you who uploaded it. If the uploader is someone other than that avatar who owns the profile, you may just have the name of that person's alt.

7 hours ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

i simply answered the OP question i have been reading this forum for 5 years and you guys seem to not like doing that on this forum.

The question was answered. You may simply not agree with that answer, considering the things you said here. Of course answering a question is often mixed with discussing it, like in this case, where people starting discussing different attempts of determining whos an alt and which accounts belong together.

• Like 4

@ Scylla Rhiadra i think the question was how would I identify an alt so i answered it ... i guess i shouldn't assume my opinion matters at all, after all i'm not a resident of second life?

only your guys opinions matter, k i got it i wont bother to use this forum, bye

Edited by JUSTUS Palianta
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

@ Scylla Rhiadra i think the question was how would I identify an alt so i answered it ... i guess i shouldn't assume my opinion matters at all, after all i'm not a resident of second life?

Sometimes alts can be identified by watching their level of drama. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

No, actually, your opinion does matter, or I would have simply condemned your attitude, rather than framing my response as two questions -- to neither of which, despite your apparent desire to "answer questions," have you provided answers.

So, I'll ask them again, in the hope that you might respond, rather than simply dismiss me: ignoring for a moment the issue of whether or not there really is a reasonably reliable way to identify alts (and I don't think there is) . . .

Why would you care enough about the identity of people's alts to want to do this?

What useful purpose is served by the amount of time and effort you seem to be willing to put into this?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

If the uploader is someone other than that avatar who owns the profile, you may just have the name of that person's alt.

An interesting idea. It may sometimes suggestively point to a relationship between two avatars.

But in my case, it wouldn't have: for probably the better part of 9 years or more, my in-world profile pic was taken (and uploaded) by a friend, Jig Chippewa, who provided me with a copy. And, in fact, a fair number of people use pics taken by others as their profile picture.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I tend to log one alt in while Lil is logged in because usually I'm giving the alt some L$ and sending her somewhere to get a specific item or I need her for testing something or various other reasons.  The only time they log in one after the other is for something like an Altamura free body - then I'll log in many of the girl alts to go grab it.

Then again, I doubt that any of my alts are on anyone's "suspect" list because they seldom get to see the light of day and pretty much never interact with anyone else.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

How do you know that you found "piles of alts" using this method? Did they break down and confess after confronted with your findings? Or have you simply assumed that your method works?

I have a very good friend, a regular in fact on this forum, with whom I talk a great deal in-world, although we seldom get together on the same sim.

Probably 90% of the time we log off, after saying goodbye to each other, within 30 seconds or less of each other. And, although this is somewhat less of a rule, one of us will very often log on within a few minutes of the other, in large measure I suppose because we've been watching to see if the other is online.

And we are most assuredly not alts.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

An interesting idea. It may sometimes suggestively point to a relationship between two avatars.

But in my case, it wouldn't have: for probably the better part of 9 years or more, my in-world profile pic was taken (and uploaded) by a friend, Jig Chippewa, who provided me with a copy. And, in fact, a fair number of people use pics taken by others as their profile picture.

In the early day's of Lil's life, my original main had furnished part of my skybox.  Lil spent an evening with someone that I knew from the Forum Cartel hangout inworld - who had also met my original main before Lil was born.  At one point, he must have been camming around and noticed her as the owner of some items.  He commented that if I wanted to keep her relationship to me a secret that she should transfer the items to me, if possible.  

Alt "thinking" had just never crossed my mind before that.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

In the early day's of Lil's life, my original main had furnished part of my skybox.  Lil spent an evening with someone that I knew from the Forum Cartel hangout inworld - who had also met my original main before Lil was born.  At one point, he must have been camming around and noticed her as the owner of some items.  He commented that if I wanted to keep her relationship to me a secret that she should transfer the items to me, if possible.  

Alt "thinking" had just never crossed my mind before that.

True, that's something that can point suggestively to a relationship between avatars.

But, speaking again from my own experience, it's also not entirely reliable. My old bookstore, which I owned and ran with a friend and business partner, Lulu, is up and running again (sort of -- I don't think it's selling things anymore) under Lulu's management. The store locale is rented by her, and in her name, but almost everything in the store -- furnishings and books -- was either originally purchased or made by me. So, one might conclude, incorrectly, that Lulu is my alt. And, of course, she isn't.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

<--- is an alt. Betcha can guess of who. ~laughs~

I don't see a reason to keep it secret and though there are some legitimate reasons to keep an alt's relationship to you secret, I believe the mot common reason people try very hard to do so is for nefariously unethical reasons.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Well, one way you can identify my alts is to see who uploaded their profile picture. My alts are mostly broke, and I don't use the website to update their profiles because that means logging in and out on the site, so as the one with the money who is taking the photos, I upload all their profile pictures in world myself. You can click on a profile picture (if you are using old style profiles, at least) and it will show you who uploaded it. If the uploader is someone other than that avatar who owns the profile, you may just have the name of that person's alt.

That's clever!  But, my alt Lynnette is the one with all (well, most all) of the money.

1 hour ago, Alyona Chernov said:

I don't see a reason to keep it secret and though there are some legitimate reasons to keep an alt's relationship to you secret, I believe the mot common reason people try very hard to do so is for nefariously unethical reasons.

Those "nefarious" people are pikers. We truly nefarious are completely up front about our alts. This creates a false sense of security that can sooooo easily be exploited.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.