Identifying an alt

usedcars

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2019 at 1:21 AM, ThorinII said:

Alts of others can't be identified without failure. If that other person says "that's my alt" or "I'm the alt of (insert name here)" then it's okay. But "doxxing" someone else as an alt (by guessing based on re-occurring spelling mistakes, writing style, or other seemingly obvious stuff) is against TOS (and/or against Community Standards, I'm not sure), and AR-able.

There is no given number to answer that. Whatever feels like "too many" for *you*, is too many for you.

I did read a long time ago, that if you get up to about 10 alts, LL takes notice as that could indicate a user is into griefing.

10 minutes ago, JudiLynn India said:

I did read a long time ago, that if you get up to about 10 alts, LL takes notice as that could indicate a user is into griefing.

Lindens have better ways to spend their time than by wandering through the records, looking for people with lots of alts.  Although they do say that they discourage anyone having an "army of alts," it's rare to find anyone beyond newbie age who doesn't have at least one -- often many more.  I have only four, myself, but it's not uncommon to have a small squadron, if not an army, for perfectly legitimate reasons. I use mine for various building tasks or for load testing. A photographer might want a well-controlled, properly-dressed crowd scene.

Linden Lab does take notice if you get into trouble, however.  Once you have been suspended for something, they will watch to see that you don't get around the sanction by logging in as another alt. If you get on the bad side of the Governance Team, that's when they pay attention to alts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Lindens have better ways to spend their time than by wandering through the records, looking for people with lots of alts.  Although they do say that they discourage anyone having an "army of alts," it's rare to find anyone beyond newbie age who doesn't have at least one -- often many more.  I have only four, myself, but it's not uncommon to have a small squadron, if not an army, for perfectly legitimate reasons. I use mine for various building tasks or for load testing. A photographer might want a well-controlled, properly-dressed crowd scene.

Linden Lab does take notice if you get into trouble, however.  Once you have been suspended for something, they will watch to see that you don't get around the sanction by logging in as another alt. If you get on the bad side of the Governance Team, that's when they pay attention to alts.

My sentiments exactly.  As I mentioned, I read that a long time ago (on the forum). I, personally, have lost count of how many alts I've had over the years. And they've been for totally legit reasons. I'm not a griefer or up to no-good. They have mostly been for testing as I build or set up new galleries. Whenever I need to test how another resident will interact with something, I've created an alt. Most have been deactivated. 
I'm sure the staff has better things to do, but if they take notice of a certain account, they apparently make note of it.

On 10/1/2019 at 6:32 PM, usedcars said:

If there is no profile but a dozen groups.

Not everyone fills out their profile. Its far from a requirement. Many alts fill out profile (some even using their profile to reveal their alt status).

Alt accounts are not bad. Some of their operators are. But so are some operators of single accounts.

• Like 4

On 10/6/2019 at 3:45 AM, JUSTUS Palianta said:

if someone is stalking me with numerous alts i think its fine to work out who there alts are.

i had a nice tidy list of alts to give linden labs with my report.

honestly i wont let you guys bully me and make me leave the forum for answering a question.

this is a question and answer forum if you want to jump on people because you think only your answer is correct that is your karma helping people is mine.

who knows what situation the original poster is going through, shame on all of you really.

Disagreement is not bullying.

This is a discussion forum. Not a Q&A forum. There is another place called Answers for strictly Q&A.

I'm sorry you've been bullied and stalked and hope you get the help you need with that. But seriously, you are not getting that bullying here. :)

Edited by Adam Spark
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks Adam THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME HOW TO FEEL because you can decide that for me.

i was simply stating my reason for my reply, where i was trying to answer the OP and the vultures of the forum jumped on me for answering a question they had already answered.

because there answer is the only correct answer, because the whole second life forum is about THERE OPINION - NO ONE ELSES

• Haha 1

Is that not what we do on this forum answer the original poster, oh no there doesn't seem to be a lot of that going on, just a bunch of people who have been on the forum too many years that love to hear themselves type, i had forgotten about this thread and got on with my life ... why are you even quoting me.

• Haha 1

Relax.  As Adam said, rather politely, this is a discussion. When there's no single answer, a thread can wander into side issues and sometimes reveal mistaken interpretations or outdated assumptions, but that's a good reason to keep talking. People have differing opinions and experiences to share, so there's a bit of give and take.  If it had gotten out of hand, with name-calling and flaming, the moderators would have stopped it ages ago.  

• Like 5

You don't have to name call and flame to put someone down, in fact a lot of you have rather perfected the art of it whilst within the forum rules.  That is why i mostly just read the forums now.  That is why many people just read the forum and don't post at all.  That is why the forums don't reach as many people as they should.  Therefore affecting public opinion through closed mindedness.  I simply replied to the post because someone quoted me as i am entitled to do.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good heavens, @JUSTUS Palianta!

May I, most gently, make a few observations and suggestions?

• Adam was not "telling you how to feel".  He was making some obejective observations about what had been said by others.  I think he was, in fact, correct.
  • Everyone here is happy that you answered the OP.  It was not a personal attack on you for them to point out some possible flaws in your proposed alt detection method.
  • There is not one correct answer for almost everything.  But, especially in the matter of alt detection, there are a lot of INCORRECT answers.  I won't take your scheme as my example, but a much more widely-used one: the now-banned "REDZONE" alt detector.  This device was advertised as a way to detect alts, and a lot of people believed that, and bought it.  Unfortunately, REDZONE was prone to both false negatives (NOT detecting when Avatar B was in fact an alt of Avatar A) and false positives (incorrectly identifying Avatar B as an alt of Avatar A.)  The arguments about that caused an awful lot of conflict.
  • I am glad to hear that you're a regular forum reader.  I hope that you will also become a regular forum WRITER as well.  Be aware that not everyone will agree with what you say.  Why, only last week I had most of the forum Regulars mad at me about...well, we won't go into that, or Jagix will have to shut us down again.  That won't keep me from posting.  Sometimes I'll be right...or think that I am...and I'll defend myself.  Other times, I'll be wrong.  It's happened before, I'm pretty sure it will happen again.  When it does, I'll try to concede gracefully.
  • Like 8

Trying to identify an alt is a fool's errand.  Short of them doing something really stupid (or telling you) there is no way to be sure one way or another.  Take people at face value and don't trust anyone too much or too quickly - the jackinapes will reveal themselves eventually.

How many alts is too many?  One, if you are use it to deceive people or cheat on someone you supposedly are in a relationship with. 

• Like 2

On 10/6/2019 at 1:49 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

-- and I'm going to admit that I've never been stalked in SL --

That you know of (/me laughs diabolically)

"is that one should judge each avatar by their actions, individually, rather than make preemptive and possibly inaccurate judgements about what you think they are "likely" to do (as opposed to what they've already actually done)."

Sagacious advice as always.

On 10/1/2019 at 3:27 PM, usedcars said:

How would or do you identify an Alt?? 

There are only two kinds in SL.  Alts and Animesh.  The Alts show up on radar; the animesh does not.  😎

No one plays on their main.  Heck, even the founder of the place is playing on an Alt. 

Edited by Erwin Solo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.