Identifying an alt

usedcars

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just say to the person you want to identify, "I just made an alt for myself and I'm pretty surprised how easy it was to make one. Have you created an alt before? You have? So are you the main account or the alt?" People are very sociable in SL and like to tell you about their alts. 

Edited by Bree Giffen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

Some years ago someone actually came up with a way to detect multiple accounts and all hell broke loose.  The person who did it went bye bye as soon as the Lindens got word of it.

That person was a convicted criminal that had no business being in SL since he was on federal probation. Part of the conditions of his probation was no computers or internet because he was convicted of wire fraud on EBay.

Not someone I would want having my personal information which is exactly what he was gathering in SL. 

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, usedcars said:

How would or do you identify an Alt??

Alts of others can't be identified without failure. If that other person says "that's my alt" or "I'm the alt of (insert name here)" then it's okay. But "doxxing" someone else as an alt (by guessing based on re-occurring spelling mistakes, writing style, or other seemingly obvious stuff) is against TOS (and/or against Community Standards, I'm not sure), and AR-able.

How many alts are too many??

There is no given number to answer that. Whatever feels like "too many" for *you*, is too many for you.

• Like 1

Someone doxxed me in order, I presume, to curry favour with somebody, and got some alts banned from a place I wouldn't even have gone to any more (feel the embers of mountainous seething anger!) but what was worse is that they included people I never met who evidently had something similar about them.  That is stupid and undeserved.  Leave the uncovering well alone.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, usedcars said:

Where can you check to know if they have  payment info on file?

On their profile, I think on the legacy style profiles only, which are visible in 3rd party viewers. Not sure if its included in the web style ones.

On 10/1/2019 at 8:04 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The product was called "RedZone," and it claimed to be able to detect multiple accounts. The truth is that there is no foolproof way to do that -- but the people who bought into it apparently didn't care that they were getting as many false positives as actual hits.

And yes, the maker of the product, who was arrested in RL for fraud, was banned from SL, after a great deal of noisy protesting from residents.

Scylla is quite correct.  RedZone used public IP addresses to "detect" alts.  The theory was, if two accounts had the same public IP address, they were obviously the same Real Life person.

There have been other "alt detectors" which used this method.  There is only one problem with it...it is subject to both false positives and false negatives. 

False positives: Two accounts can wind up using the same public IP address for many reasons.  For example, one household with two people in it who use SL, but share the same internet provider and internet connection.  Or, since ISPs assign IPs randomly, and they get shuffled around frequently, two widely separated locations may wind up being assigned the same IP address, only at different times.

False negatives:  A user may connect to the internet using a virtual private network.  On different occasions, the VPN may connect him through servers with different IP addresses.  Thus, the person's public IP address can be very different on different logins.

Not only that, but while it is not against the Terms of Service to know someone's public IP address (concealing it is simply not possible, given how the internet works), it IS against the ToS to share that information with others.

It's just as well...RedZone and its variants cause far too much drama.

As I recall, though, RedZone's creator didn't get banned because of RedZone.*  He got banned because he'd introduced some code into a popular third party viewer (Emerald) that had the potential to reveal users' personal Real Life information to him (and others).  How?  The code looked at a PC's directory structure.  Notice how, on Windows computers, there are files in C:\Users with user names on them?  Most people use their own names, like Sue, or Bob.  So there is a file folder called C:\Users\Sue, etc.

This is getting away from alts, though.  Alts are EVIL!  Alts are BAD!  Alts should all be SHOT AT DAWN!

*I guess I recall incorrectly.  Thank you, Scylla and Selene for your more acute memories.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:
17 hours ago, usedcars said:

Where can you check to know if they have  payment info on file?

On their profile, I think on the legacy style profiles only, which are visible in 3rd party viewers. Not sure if its included in the web style ones.

It is on the web style ones.  It's right there at the top on the about tab.

c04b34211fce3e898b6b7a9e39aa1293.png

You can also find it on their web page https://my.secondlife.com/usedcars

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

As I recall, though, RedZone's creator didn't get banned because of RedZone.  He got banned because he'd introduced some code into a popular third party viewer (Emerald) that had the potential to reveal users' personal Real Life information to him (and others). 

Is this right Lindal? I'm probably misremembering, but I thought the Emerald thing was a different bad actor? It was Fractured Crystal, was it not? And Emerald was banned for being used in a DDOS attack?

The worst things -- and what put the lie to the whole justification for RedZone -- is that they developed a "mobile" version you could wear as an attachment. And those who purchased the system were exempt from having THEIR IPs harvested. The whole thing was a massive scam, built upon fear, paranoia, and power, and misinformation.

In any case, when LL finally acted on RedZone, they moved decisively. The creator was not merely banned, but all instances of RedZone were eradicated from the grid. It was very satisfying to watch.

There was a lot of support for RedZone from some club and sim owners though. There are places I still won't patronize because of their support for this toxic little toy.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Added Fractured Crystal's name
  • Like 5

The more pertinent question is why you want to know if someone is an alt. If it's a TOS violation, LL can deal with that. Other than that...I can think of only a few reasons why anyone would want to know, and none of them are worth the aggro. Especially since, as people have said, there's no certain way of doing it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Don't ANYBODY send Maddy fire breathing death worms for Christmas.  I mean it.  The survival of civilization is counting on you.

Aw man. *scratches her last idea for a Christmas gift for Maddy of the list* I'm sorry, Maddy. All that's left is the coal.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

As I recall, though, RedZone's creator didn't get banned because of RedZone.  He got banned because he'd introduced some code into a popular third party viewer (Emerald) that had the potential to reveal users' personal Real Life information to him (and others). 

No that was not zFire Xue, that was someone who was one of the devs of Emerald and zFire was NEVER on any TPV team. Thankfully.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Is this right Lindal? I'm probably misremembering, but I thought the Emerald thing was a different bad actor? It was Fractured Crystal, was it not? And Emerald was banned for being used in a DDOS attack?

The worst things -- and what put the lie to the whole justification for RedZone -- is that they developed a "mobile" version you could wear as an attachment. And those who purchased the system were exempt from having THEIR IPs harvested. The whole thing was a massive scam, built upon fear, paranoia, and power, and misinformation.

In any case, when LL finally acted on RedZone, they moved decisively. The creator was not merely banned, but all instances of RedZone were eradicated from the grid. It was very satisfying to watch.

This is correct but I wasn't going to post Frac's name. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.