Identifying an alt

usedcars

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How to identify an alt? Social engineering. (Get them to reveal themselves as having multiple accounts.)

How many alts are too many? There isn't a limit, it depends entirely on what's being done with them.

This is a rabbit hole you probably don't wanna go down, though. It's against the community standards.

Disclosure

Sharing personal information about other users, either directly or indirectly, without their consent—including, but not limited to, gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual orientation, alternate account names (including account statuses, such as whether it is on hold, suspended, or active), and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their user profile—is not allowed. Except for the purpose of reporting abuse or any violation of policies to Linden Lab, the remote monitoring, posting or sharing of conversations without a participant’s consent are prohibited.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 10

The surest sign that two or more people are alts of the same RL is if they both or all disappear at exactly the same moment, indicating their computer has crashed.  

Even then they could be two RL people from the same RL household and they've had a power cut.

Edited by Burper Tilling
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, usedcars said:

How would or do you identify an Alt??  How many alts are too many??

I'm unclear. Do you mean, how do you identify your own alt to others (assuming that you choose to do so)? Or do you mean, how do you identify someone else's alts? Or that someone is an alt? (It's not particularly cut-and-dry, sometimes, as to which accounts are "mains" and which are "alts").

If you want to sniff out someone else's alt, then I'd suggest you listen to Wulfie, and avoid that rabbit hole. It just breeds paranoia and uncertainty. And it's kind of icky.

Unless you've got a really good reason, just leave people be.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, usedcars said:

How would or do you identify an Alt?? 

Manner of speaking, certain phrases they might use. Uncommon but repeated spelling mistakes.  (These assume that I already know the "main").

Very young avatar that clearly knows exactly how SL works and how to use it, has no trouble shopping, unpacking boxes, dressing themselves, using mesh. Knows how to use the building tools.

Very young avatar with no payment info on file that's fully kitted-out in L$10k's worth of mesh body and head (and is comfortable with using the huds).

Understands jokes about stuff in SL that ceased to exist before the account was created. Like hair up the butt on teleporting.

32 minutes ago, usedcars said:

How many alts are too many??

Officially, six (the TOS allows five). But I really don't think Linden Lab bothers to enforce that and likely it would only be noticed if you did something else that was ban-worthy. 

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 3

I generally don't identify my alts specifically but I also have no problems saying they are my alts when I use them. 
This is my alt Maybie.

20191001_001.thumb.jpg.9d20a4999aa5e3a0ac0a11e261e0a566.jpg

If you look up her profile, it doesn't say she is an alt or anything but I do tend to let people know that she is if they talk with me for long.

More alts than you can remember passwords for are too many.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Manner of speaking, certain phrases they might use. Uncommon but repeated spelling mistakes.  (These assume that I already know the "main").

Very young avatar that clearly knows exactly how SL works and how to use it, has no trouble shopping, unpacking boxes, dressing themselves, using mesh. Knows how to use the building tools.

Very young avatar with no payment info on file that's fully kitted-out in L$10k's worth of mesh body and head (and is comfortable with using the huds).

Understands jokes about stuff in SL that ceased to exist before the account was created. Like hair up the butt on teleporting.

Officially, six (the TOS allows five). But I really don't think Linden Lab bothers to enforce that and likely it would only be noticed if you did something else that was ban-worthy. 

Where can you check to know if they have  payment info on file?

Any methods will have failures. People thought I was an older avatar with a new account when I first arrived, because SL wasn't something I found difficult to pick up. This was in part because I actually read the instructions.

I've had people assume my friends are my alts because we use similar phrases and hang out in similar places, as friends do.

In experiences of my friends, an oddly common story is being randomly accused of being the alt of someone who "stole" someone else's romantic partner. Sometimes moments after arriving at a new place they've never visited before. That's one way to welcome people I suppose.

All in all, it's a can of fire-breathing death worms best left alone.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

I've had people assume my friends are my alts because we use similar phrases and hang out in similar places, as friends do.

And because they too are ambulatory mushrooms?

ETA: (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

There are no tools or sites you can use for this,  LL is not going to give it to you.   it's disclouser and is against the Terms of Services you agreed upon when signing up for the service.

I think she means on the profile?  It's in each residents profile above the PARTNER area to the right of the profile.

Why you want to do this...I dunno.

I wish LL would take that out of profiles and leave it to each residents own business.  

Sorry, LittleMe Jewell and I were posting at the same time.

But, LittleMe Jewell is right...it may say Payment Info Used instead of Payment Info on File or No Payment Info On File.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

Some years ago someone actually came up with a way to detect multiple accounts and all hell broke loose.  The person who did it went bye bye as soon as the Lindens got word of it.

The product was called "RedZone," and it claimed to be able to detect multiple accounts. The truth is that there is no foolproof way to do that -- but the people who bought into it apparently didn't care that they were getting as many false positives as actual hits.

And yes, the maker of the product, who was arrested in RL for fraud, was banned from SL, after a great deal of noisy protesting from residents.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 12

21 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And because they too are ambulatory mushrooms?

ETA: (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

That has happened! In my early years of making the avatars, people assumed that anyone wearing one had to be me. It's not happened for some time though, as people now seem to understand that they're for sale. Which means I've achieved brand awareness, brand infamy, or something like that.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.