child avatar swearing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Amber Mizser said:

just wondering because I have been told that child avatars are not going against the TOS of secondlife if they swear

Child avi's are run by adults why should they not swear?

2 minutes ago, Amber Mizser said:

just wondering because I have been told that child avatars are not going against the TOS of secondlife if they swear

Have you ever watched real childs? Surprise! Childs can swear too - and some of them quite deliberatly do so a lot.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

The woman who owned one of the sims I spent a fair amount of time in during my first half year or so in SL, a sort of children's playground, used a child avatar.

A child avatar who smoked cigars, set off nuclear warheads, and turned the air blue with her swearing.

She was really very cute and sweet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Hm, I don't recall being in any way forbidden from swearing when I was a child. Well, apart from that time I upset a nun and got banned from Sunday school. But I thought that was a reward - still do, really.

But no, there's nothing in the TOS prohibiting people using child avis from swearing. Excessively swearing might be considered harassment if directed at someone, but that goes for everyone. Besides, English swear words are just cute - especially across the pond where they're spoken in baby-speak.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember working up a skipping song to bring melody to those long summer days of playing in the yard. Who knew that the joys of inventing words on the fly to fit the rhyme scheme could backfire so spectacularly?

The neighbor kid, on hearing my little ditty, ran home to tell his father Charlie that I'd sung something terribly naughty about him. I don't think there's been a year in the four decades since that event that Charlie hasn't recounted the horror. And I don't think there's been a year in the last two decades I haven't wanted to sing it to his face, if only I could remember the lyrics.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Try doing it right here in these forums... 😋

Ah,... but you can get away with pretty much profanity in an US Forum due to lack of general knowledge (not critcising the US here - I bet it is the same in the UK as well).

"bloody", "darn", "friggin" ... all minced oaths but no one ever gets sanctioned for them. Modern folks don't even get the hidden profanities anymore - so a huge bunch of them consider the words just "innapropriate" but have no idea why. Just like back when US universities censored Shakespeare for sexual references and ended up leaving in more than half of them because they (wannabe literature scientists even) didn't understand them.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Ah,... but you can get away with pretty much profanity in an US Forum due to lack of general knowledge (not critcising the US here - I bet it is the same in the UK as well)-

"bloody", "darn", "friggin" ... all minced oaths but no one ever gets sanctioned for them. Modern folks don't even get the hidden profanities anymore - so a huge bunch of them consider the words just "innapropriate" but have no idea why. Just like back when US universities censored Shakespeare for sexual references and endided up leaving in more than half of them because they (wannabe literature scientists even) didn't understand them.

Hmm... that's a good point. I wonder just how far it can be pushed before we get a Linden in here (rightly) fussing at us for pushing the boundaries.

Wanker. Bollocks. Fanny. 

(Forgive me, Linden Forum Gods! I was provoked... kind of!)

(giggling madly)

Edited by Beth Macbain
It worked!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Honestly. because they are adults behind the avatar. With certain restrictions, I think it's okay if they swear. That is if they are out of character, if they RP as a child, then yeah treat them like a kid, and punish them for swearing. Other then the RP reason, it's totally fine.

40 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Ah,... but you can get away with pretty much profanity in an US Forum due to lack of general knowledge (not critcising the US here - I bet it is the same in the UK as well).

Especially if you say something like 'Ditt förebannade praktarsle!' (it also looks awfully funny if you run it through a translator!).

1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

Your cursed practice?

Directly translated, word by word, it turns out as 'Your damned/cursed magnificent b*tt'. It's not as easy as that, though; 'ditt' means 'your', but in this context it's used as 'you'. För(e)bannade means 'damned' (the textual spelling is 'förbannade', but in speech it's common to put an e in there as a little bridge between the syllables, giving it a smoother cadence). Now, 'praktarsle' consists of two words, prakt and arsle. Prakt means magnificence, but it's also used as a principal prefix a bit the same as 'arch-' in English (although the direct translation for that is ärke- in Swedish), and arsle means posterior - so a slightly more precise translation of the phrase is 'You damned arch-b*tt'.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.