child avatar swearing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

On a trip to England several years ago, a friend taught me the proper use of the great big C word as a devastating insult. I save it for special cases. 😉

There really is an art to is. 

Actually that big C word that is indeed a devastating insult to one region, is something you can say to people in the another region as a lighthearted remark, something like "bastard". I think in the north of England and Scotland is not that bad, but in the south its a massive insult. Oh, and when said to a women its much more of an insult compared to when said to a man. Very confusing rule set for a swear word! So yeah, proper English swearing seems to be an art form 😛

One thing that surprised me the first time was how it seems that a proper English sentence does not seem to be compete with at least one variation of the F word woven into it. Not sure if that is regional too, is a bit north of London. And that words meaning is also completely decided on the context, being something positive, negative, or just sex.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

In Liverpool nobody can understand our accent anyway most of the time. So we can get away with lots of swearwords.

Can you give us some examples? I'd like to see how much of what you say I can make out.

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Can you give us some examples? I'd like to see how much of what you say I can make out.

Not sure if I will get hand slapped if I link to swearwords  but heres a general list of things we say

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-sayings-top-26-things-6463028

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Not sure if I will get hand slapped if I link to swearwords  but heres a general list of things we say

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-sayings-top-26-things-6463028

Wow. I think I recognized maybe a half dozen of these -- "skint," "offie," "bird" (of course), and a few other more-or-less common ones.

How do you communicate with the rest of the country? Are there translation apps?

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
38 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Wow. I think I recognized maybe a half dozen of these -- "skint," "offie," "bird" (of course), and a few other more-or-less common ones.

How do you communicate with the rest of the country? Are there translation apps?

I recognized about as many as you, but was stuck by this one...

Usage: 'Devoed, girl, I left me coat at home and it was proper baltic. Must've been abar minus 40.'

Curiously, they chose -40 as the example temperature, which is the same whether in °F or °C, leaving us to wonder which system the Scouse use. Or is it always -40, so there's no need for translation?

Cindy?

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Curiously, they chose -40 as the example temperature, which is the same whether in °F or °C, leaving us to wonder which system the Scouse use.

Centigrade.  I don't believe it has ever been that cold here.  I believe the coldest ever where I live was recorded as -17.6C

• Like 1

Just now, Cindy Evanier said:

Centigrade is an old fashioned name for Celsius I guess.  I am old 😭

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/centigrade-or-celsius

Mostly I hear "Celsius" here in Canada, but one used to hear Centigrade more frequently maybe 20 years ago or so? So maybe you're right: the one has gradually replaced the other. (Probably because "Celsius" is a slightly more precise version of the same scale?)

It has rarely got as cold as -40C where I live, but in other parts of The Great White North . . .

Which is one reason why I don't live in other parts of The Great White North.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Once upon a time, many , many years ago, a friend of mine taught me to say something with what was supposed to be a "Liverpool accent" or was it Cockney... anyway. I'll have to bleep some of it but it goes something like this:

"Ye bleedin ****sucker! Ye put an 'ole in me pocket! Ye put an 'ole in me pocket, I'll put an 'ole in ye 'ead! And yer wife's a bloody bird!"

I'm must have either gotten very good at it or really sucked at it because it used to make people laugh. I don't do it any more because people are too damn sensitive.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I don't do it any more because people are too damn sensitive.

That should be a reason to do it even more ;)

I'm so fed up with sensitive souls and political correctness, I sometimes just go over the edge of what would be acceptable just for the sake of it. Not nice, probably not wise either, but hey, at least I'm having fun when doing it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh bloody 'ell, what world ruddy coming with a pigging child avi swearing? :P Makes me think of my RL colouring book which is sweary and some of those I never even heard of and i'm so like what the freaking 'ell does that mean??? :D 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

That should be a reason to do it even more ;)

I'm so fed up with sensitive souls and political correctness, I sometimes just go over the edge of what would be acceptable just for the sake of it. Not nice, probably not wise either, but hey, at least I'm having fun when doing it.

Oh believe me, for a long time I did but I'm gettin old now and don't have the muscles to back it up with anymore. xD

Well... we now know that we do have at least one thing in common. lol.gif.910de606e87ebbcbc46e61d0b9f65a6d.gif

• Like 1

Okay; so anyone tell me what piss flaps or beaver dam or  baggy vag are??? As they from the aforementioned book, lol. :D 

Wow, they went through!

Edited by MrsSeren
amazing my question on words went through filter
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

What does this part mean, that someone cost you money? Or does it refer to the game of snooker?

Don't ask me. I'm not a Brit. lol

I believe it means the same as our "burning a hole in your pocket" but don't get me to lying. Ask the Brits. lol

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.