Tilia takes over

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ummmm . . .

"Inactivity Fee"???

And we're back to verification, are we?

ETA: Ok, so I'm confused. A bit. Does this impact the buying of Lindens for in-world purchases? I'm assuming so?

The inactivity fee seems to only apply to USD amounts from sold L$ that have not been processed to the user's bank for 12 months, in accounts that have not been accessed in any way (including just logged into to check on) in that time.

The verification seems to be a preemptive form of the current process by which a person's SL account gets locked after a certain amount of L$ has been withdrawn, until that information is provided.  It seems that this will prevent SL account locking by requiring the information only for the financial aspect, and will do it up front to prevent surprises at bad times.  All in all, it should make SL's financial aspect easier to use and less daunting to up and coming businesses.

As for Linden purchases, it doesn't look like the information will be required for that, since the money wouldn't be held by Tilia, but instead would be going directly into the purchase, but I could be wrong.

Is kinda a shame they aren't doing SL account verification, though, getting sick of all these griefers that are pointless to Abuse Report, because by the time the report's filed they've already thrown out that alt and made another.

Edited by Iexo Bethune
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tilia is owned by Linden Research and appears to be set up as a separate entity that can offer money handling services to other clients.   They have gotten licensing through many states (I didn't stop to count if it is *all* but I am sure it will be by August 1) to comply with money handling regulations.  These licenses come with very specific security and regulatory requirements, including protection of personal information.  I sincerely doubt a registered corporation would be careless with this info.

As far as I can tell, the process for *buying* Lindens won't change.   My screen when I go to buy Lindens has said "powered by Tilia" for quite a while now.   

If I am reading correctly, this new stuff applies to *processing credits,* to take your Linden dollars to RL currency.  If you leave a balance of RL currency on your account and do not use it to pay your land/recurring fees to LL or cash it out, and it stays there with no activity for 12 months, then you will be subject to the Inactivity fee.  That is like a bank - you don't do anything with your money, and you make them deal with it, they are going to charge you maintenance fees.  And it looks like you do not have to provide ID unless you are cashing out, which makes sense to me.  I wouldn't expect to be able to convert money without showing my ID.  Online should not be any different.

Not a banker, Linden, or expert, but this is what I see.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Linden Lab said:

Will Residents outside the U.S. still need to provide verification or ID for credit processing transactions? 

Yes, anyone who processes credit will need to present a government-issued ID. 

I am not a US citizen, I do not drive & have no passport! We also do not have an official photo ID in the UK so how on earth will I qualify?

For non-U.S. citizens without a driver’s license or passport, we will need an equivalent government-issued ID to verify your identity for credit processing. If this is an issue, please contact our customer support team or continue to check our FAQ for additional guidance after Aug. 1. 

Will you expect me to scan my ID? Will you expect me to send a photocopied version over via snail mail? 

Yes, you would need to scan your ID for Tilia to verify after Aug. 1. We do not expect anyone to use “snail mail” for verification.

@Linden Lab

(1) Many of us have already provided such ID information for verification, are we exempt from having to provide it again because the information is already on record?

(2) Is there any likely hood that Tilla ID verification will open up ahead of August 1st? If not than can we have some reassurance that the staff at Tilla can handle the volume of Verification requests that are liekly to occur in a very short space of time and that it will have minimal impact upon processing times?

(3) Will we still be able to use a USD balance on our Tilla account to cover our Premium subscription fees.?

Tidbit: For those in the UK: If you do not have a drivers License, or a Passport, look into getting a Citizen card. I had the same situation a cpl of years back, and a call to the billing number confirmed then that I could use it because it is a government issued ID, and it contains photo, name and date of Birth. (it's also cheap and pretty fast to arrive). I just hope Tilla will accept these ID cards too.

Edited by HunniHope
forgot a question
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, halebore Aeon said:

I do have a cash balance, but I am not an SL content creator. I upload money, that goes towards my premium payments. So does that mean it will affect me too?

Thats a good idea, how do you get LL to take money from SL instead of 'fresh' from a credit card (or paypal in my case)? 

Will you expect me to scan my ID? Will you expect me to send a photocopied version over via snail mail? 

Yes, you would need to scan your ID for Tilia to verify after Aug. 1. We do not expect anyone to use “snail mail” for verification.

Two things concern me here.

1) If we cannot start the verification process until after August 1st that means there will be a huge influx of people applying at the same time and all waiting for their account to be processed so they can go back to cashing out. Not only does this likely mean it will take a while to process all the people applying, it also means that...

2) People will inevitably all try to cash out right before August 1st, which will AGAIN make the exchange rate tank as an influx of creators try to sell off their $L before they have to sit in line waiting to be approved to cash out again.

This is unacceptable, Linden Labs. Many of the best creators in this game rely on their SL income to pay their bills. Open up the process for identification early so people will not end up waiting "up to 30 days" to be able to access their funds again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Interesting.  As of yet, I haven't seen an email - and I have 8-10 SL accounts with payment info on file, though only 4 are still Premium and thus subject to reoccurring charges.  Or did they only send the email to folks that have previously taken money out of SL?  Even though all of us will have to still agree to the Tilia TOS on Aug 1.  

I just happened to go look at the blog shortly after they posted the info.  Sometimes LL has the strangest ways of notifying their customers of stuff.

Out of my 4 accounts only my main had gotten the email as that's the only account that I sell lindens on and pull it out. Normally I see their emails 2-3 times when they're sent out.

1 hour ago, Lizbette Tearfall said:

I am not cool with having to provide my SS# to anyone. I don't give it to the store clerk when I buy things with my debit /credit. I am NOT getting credit from Second Life so why do they need my social security number for me to buy lindens ?This just smells all wrong so after 10 yrs I may have to leave if u HAVE to accept this just to play.

You won't have to provide your SS# unless you're pulling cash from the tilia otherwise the only thing you have to do is accept the ToS for the tilia as we use it for MP purchases and linden purchases as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sapphy Rotaru said:

I am not a US citizen, I do not drive & have no passport! We also do not have official photo ID in the UK so how on earth will I qualify?

18 minutes ago, Sapphy Rotaru said:

Um..... as I said! 'I do not drive & have no passport!'

@Sapphy Rotaru - Here is LL's answer.  Sounds like you'll need to get a Government issued Citizen card:

image.png.10782dac1af2c8abb3a22b64b3d2cbcd.png

14 minutes ago, HunniHope said:

Tidbit: For those in the UK: If you do not have a drivers License, or a Passport, look into getting a Citizen card. I had the same situation a cpl of years back, and a call to the billing number confirmed then that I could use it because it is a government issued ID, and it contains photo, name and date of Birth. (it's also cheap and pretty fast to arrive). I just hope Tilla will accept these ID cards too.

From this answer, it sounds like Tilia will accept it since it is a Government issued ID

5 minutes ago, Cristal Kenyon said:

This is all too much for me....I downgraded from Premium to Basic just now.

Basic vs Premium has absolutely nothing to do with this.  You can cash money out whether you are Basic or Premium and the changes are really only applicable to cashing out money.

Or did you downgrade just as a show of contempt for the changes?   Which I totally get if you did - wouldn't be the first time LL lost some Premiums (or accounts all together) due to changes.

• Like 1

I have a few questions regarding the ID requirements that I haven't seen answered yet.

1. Will we be able to submit ID information before August 1 so we won't have a delay cashing out while waiting for it to be processed?
  2. How will we submit this information (is there a specific ticket option or a separate web page or email address)?
  3. What are the specific submission requirements for ID (size, file format, etc.)?
  4. For a non-US citizen, is a single piece of government ID that also shows our address sufficient or is something else required, and if so, what?
  5. If we do have to wait until August 1 to submit ID, how long will it take to process?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

@Sapphy Rotaru - Here is LL's answer.  Sounds like you'll need to get a Government issued Citizen card:

From this answer, it sounds like Tilia will accept it since it is a Government issued ID

Basic vs Premium has absolutely nothing to do with this.  You can cash money out whether you are Basic or Premium and the changes are really only applicable to cashing out money.

Or did you downgrade just as a show of contempt for the changes?   Which I totally get if you did - wouldn't be the first time LL lost some Premiums (or accounts all together) due to changes.

So since I live in Ontario Canada, an Ontario ID will work. Basically what it is, is they made it so Health Cards were not considered an official ID. So for people like myself, who do not have a drivers license, this was a cheaper alternative. Now I can't have both, but thankfully I can use this ID just fine.

14 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Well I'll be... I never noticed that before

image.png.854ef25970ae9de5cce74436899f5413.png

Tilia has been around as a Lab-owned subsidiary since 2014/15, and over the intervening period, its services have been used to power elements of both SL and Sansar.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Interesting.  As of yet, I haven't seen an email - and I have 8-10 SL accounts with payment info on file, though only 4 are still Premium and thus subject to reoccurring charges.  Or did they only send the email to folks that have previously taken money out of SL?  Even though all of us will have to still agree to the Tilia TOS on Aug 1.  

I just happened to go look at the blog shortly after they posted the info.  Sometimes LL has the strangest ways of notifying their customers of stuff.

I received email and then came to forum to get a better grip on what it meant. And I have never taken money out. 

22 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes, I did it to make a point.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.