What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"Second Life cannot be accessed by this computer."

This is the third time this year that I received this message. IP ban's are so 2000's.

*grumbles and restarts her router to access SL again*

Edit: To clarify, I am not banned, I just so happened to get allocated the IP of a banned person.

Edited by So Whimsy
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

These contests are not charity... despite the endless amounts of ass-licking they tend to generate.

The creators are paying for advertising with a couple of printed copies of their product. The way you "enter" these contests is through social media activity, which spreads awareness of the new product enough to increase sales by far more than the tiny opportunity cost of the giveaways.

It's a smart thing to do, and I don't hold anything against them for it - but it is not generous, nor is it worth praising creators for. It's a simple transaction. And if you can get your head around that, it becomes much easier to ignore these when they appear.

I think you missed the part where she said she doesn't want a social media presence (everywhere). She isn't alone. And I'll be damned if I let some wanker force me into having any social media just to enter a contest. 

It's on the creator to advertise where the customers are, not force the customer to go where the ads are. If they only advertise on social media, they aren't reaching the maximum number of potential customers that are inworld. If they can't be bothered, neither can I. 

Advertising on social media is a fail since people can just scroll past like they change/mute the tv channel when the commercials come on or get up and walk away.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

It's on the creator to advertise where the customers are, not force the customer to go where the ads are. If they only advertise on social media, they aren't reaching the maximum number of potential customers that are inworld.

This is a good point.

Ayela is absolutely right, of course: merchants aren't doing this out of the kindness of their hearts, so discussing this as though it had a sort of ethical or social dimension is rather pointless: it's about making money, not about "community" or "generosity" or anything like that. What the merchant "should" do is determined by economic impact: if there is no percentage it, why should they do it?

But your point is good because it responds in those same terms. The problem is that the point of social media focused contests is always to make the message go viral -- to have the consumer, in effect, do the work of advertising for the producer. And opening up contests to those who, because they are not on social media, are not contributing to that viral messaging, may make no sense to merchants, particularly if it ends up discouraging those who currently are playing the game from doing so (because they no longer need to).

The counter-argument might be . . . how much "good will" can a store generate by opening up its contests? Enough to compensate for the loss of some people sharing the messaging on social media? Or is there some other mechanism that might be employed to allow those not on social media to contribute to the advertising function of the contest?

I'm not sure.

• Like 1

Him "Hi baby"

Me "Hi"

Him "so you wanna have fun?"

Me "Maybe do you have your own place in SL?"

Him "Yes do you wanna come to my house?"

Me "Why not. send me a TP?"

Then once i get there I right click on a few items to see if he really owns anything there and he doesn't, to be honest i wasn't being totally upfront about the situation but was just trying to get in his house to try to sell him some art. He flat out lied about owning a house, he doesn't own anything and isn't going to buy any art.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

Then once i get there I right click on a few items to see if he really owns anything there and he doesn't, to be honest i wasn't being totally upfront about the situation but was just trying to get in his house to try to sell him some art. He flat out lied about owning a house, he doesn't own anything and isn't going to buy any art.

Maybe it was his alt's house.  I did that once when I was really new - took a guy home to my alt's house.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Maybe it was his alt's house.  I did that once when I was really new - took a guy home to my alt's house.

Maybe, I will usually ask him if he knows the person who I discover is the actual owner, and he usually says "No". So if he is lying about not knowing his Alt, well that's maybe even worse.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I thought he might have been renting it? To all SL intents and purposes, that makes it "his" place.

I thought that there are very few 'fully furnished' places in SL, which means that even if the house itself is owned by someone else, the furnishings would be owned by the actual renter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Or his girlfriend’s house. That’s always entertaining.

I once had a guy log off while he and I were sitting together in a chair in his house, just seconds before his girlfriend logged on and landed in my lap. We had a very interesting conversation and both vowed never to see him again, I know I never did, not sure about her, if she did that's her problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is a good point.

Ayela is absolutely right, of course: merchants aren't doing this out of the kindness of their hearts, so discussing this as though it had a sort of ethical or social dimension is rather pointless: it's about making money, not about "community" or "generosity" or anything like that. What the merchant "should" do is determined by economic impact: if there is no percentage it, why should they do it?

But your point is good because it responds in those same terms. The problem is that the point of social media focused contests is always to make the message go viral -- to have the consumer, in effect, do the work of advertising for the producer. And opening up contests to those who, because they are not on social media, are not contributing to that viral messaging, may make no sense to merchants, particularly if it ends up discouraging those who currently are playing the game from doing so (because they no longer need to).

The counter-argument might be . . . how much "good will" can a store generate by opening up its contests? Enough to compensate for the loss of some people sharing the messaging on social media? Or is there some other mechanism that might be employed to allow those not on social media to contribute to the advertising function of the contest?

I'm not sure.

Emphasis mine. This is the reason why the contests aren't "opened up" to those without social media; it would massively dilute the self-replicating advertisement they are hoping for and so undermine the entire raison d'etre of the contest itself.

In terms of how the merchant can address everyone else - that is what group gifts are for. Likewise with seasonal gift cards that many high-volume creators run. If you're not willing to share adverts on social media, there is very little you can contribute in terms of advertising to the creator. What you can contribute is your own wallet; and if you can get people to stand next to a vendor to receive free stuff, a not-insignificant number of those people will also stand next to other vendors to buy stuff shortly afterwards. Everyone wins!

These contests do not exist in a vacuum, they are part of a creator's holistic marketing strategy. The nature of SL's economy is that creations have no per-item costs, and only overheads and upfront costs (ie; it doesn't matter if a creator sells 10 or 1000 of a thing in a set period, the costs are the same). Smart creators will be liberal shovelling free stuff at their customerbase; in ways that ensures that customerbase shovels cash straight back at them.

• Like 2

People starting speshul threads for their common bitchin’ when we have a

PERFECTLY GOOD

peeves thread here for those things. 😇 😈 

edit: or do we need a rant thread too for something stronger than peeves? That would prolly get shut down quickly though via people rule-breaking b/c ‘muh feels’ supersedes the rules or hm, good forum behavior? Dunno. This is one of the rudest forums I’ve been on so the rules go differently. 

Edited by Fauve Aeon
Crappy spelling due to carelessness and autocorrect. Siri, you suck.
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Wow, that's some serious bad luck. The odds on that must be huge. Maybe you should play the lottery because the Force is with you?

I probably should considering it's the third time now >.<

Resetting my router to get a new IP worked like a charm. Still annoying though >.<

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

People starting speshul threads for their common bitchin’ when we have a

PERFECTLY GOOD

peeves thread here for those things. 😇 😈 

edit: or do we need a rant thread too for something stronger than peeves? That would prolly get shut down quickly though via people rule-breaking b/c ‘muh feels’ supersedes the rules or hm, good forum behavior? Dunno. This is one of the rudest forums I’ve been on so the rules go differently. 

I guess I'm one of your pet peeves then. :/  I started a speshul thread for people to vent about the coronavirus pandemic, because that and the inevitable politics surrounding it were showing up in just about every thread in the people forum. Amazingly, even though the politics are strong in that thread it seems to be going along just fine. :::shrug:::

I'm surprised that you find this to be one of the rudest forums; I guess it is all perspective. As far as SL Forums, official or not, this one is tame. It was wild west time in the old SL Forum.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

This is one of the rudest forums I’ve been on so the rules go differently. 

Really? It's the most sanitised one I've ever known. You can't even swear or use correct terms for genitalia. Not a complaint, I'm still here, just astonished that it's the harshest one you've ever seen. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

I guess I'm one of your pet peeves then. :/  I started a speshul thread for people to vent about the coronavirus pandemic,

Nope, that’s another animal entirely, you did not make a thread for yourself to rant about a single peeve, rather you made another useful thread that gives invitation for many to speak. 

as far as rudeness, I’ve been on one that was ruder, besides something like 4chan (and even there, I’ve seen nicer threads!) but most I’m on are for specific hobbies so that’s probably why. People disagree on them, sure, and there is debate... but in a different way.
And having joined SL in 2008, not quite new to the internet, nope. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

5d8dfcfa9bcfb964469f02572b57574d.jpg

I'd eat the b u g g e r. I've had prettier cakes that have turned out not to be all that nice underneath. Just like I've gone out with pretty handsome blokes that have turned out to be evil twunts. I bet she turned out to be moist and delicious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is a good point.

I'm not sure.

Problem is advertising IS all about community. Always has been, always will be.

They want me as a customer, they will have to come to me. I'm not going to them. That's not how it works. No business is going to reach me via social media. 

Businesses used medias like radio, newspapers and television to reach customers because that was where customers could be found. Today is different because of social media. That does not mean we all have to give in to the overly complicated, convoluted way people advertise now. It is not appealing in the least. In fact, it is a huge turn off.

I will pay attention to well done caveman can do it ads. I will not pay attention to the "used car sales" ads.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.