Huge Packaging Annoyances

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I love any method that allows me to wear an item in the store without having to go home to rez a box. As for Huge Packaging Annoyances, what does annoy me is when after I go home to rez the box, that box is huge, come on i didn't buy a car,  why is the box big enough to hold a car?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

No, you can't sort inventory easily when it is already in inventory, not if you have numerous separate folders, i.e. chairs, desks, food, etc. You want to be able to do this *from the package* which is the most rational and intuitive way.

You don't want to struggle to drag it upward through numerous files, always risking slipping and dropping it. You don't want to do a search and try to snag both the new item and something in the folder you want to put it in.

You want to just drag it from the box to start with, the end.

Surely the opposite is true? 

Right click -> add on the box/hud, perhaps click it if there's no auto-unpack script, then drag the folder into the subfolder it belongs. If you have a vaguely coherent sorting system, this should not be difficult.

Your way means you either have to create a folder for this particular item inside the category subfolder, name it some thing appropriate, then rez out the box, open build tools, then drag the objects into the new folder. It's objectively more work with more steps.

Unless you just throw in the objects loose into the category subfolder. In which case you aren't allowed to have opinions about sorting again, you savage.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I'd love to be able to create a very small parcel on my land wherein no one can run scripts, including myself. Then llDie() items and timed demos would be just like regular items and demos.

Easy enough if you own your own land, just cut out a wee square - I have one myself for some of my riskier testing (fireworks, before you ask - honest). If not possible there are some no script sandboxes (I think the vortex one on Zindra is but have not been back in a while).

52 minutes ago, mikka Luik said:

Easy enough if you own your own land, just cut out a wee square - I have one myself for some of my riskier testing (fireworks, before you ask - honest). If not possible there are some no script sandboxes (I think the vortex one on Zindra is but have not been back in a while).

Sandbox Newcomb and Sandbox Wanderton have all scripts off.

13 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Ah but you probably use one of those "despicable exploit hacker techno-commie TPV's", rather than worshipfully using the OFFICIAL SL Inferiority Viewer, as Philip the Great intended!

Worse, you probably have techno-commie skills such as actually knowing HOW to use your viewer.

You probably NEVER dumped 15,000 gacha items in the root prim of your inworld HQ by mistake right? Or then blamed the apparent "loss" on an LL organised Techno-Commie conspiracy to destroy Slumlords...

Reminder of my OP: "Pre-warning: if you always post contrary to whatever I'm posting just out of spleen, save it for another post, there will be other more important ones where you can exercise your talents. And if you don't experience any issues with packaging for whatever reasons, move along to a more interesting post. "

1) If you looked in the "root prim," there weren't any 15,000 items -- nor were they the missing ones. I didn't put them there; they did not seem to be the ones lost 2) the 15,000 lost were strangely ALL put in trash at the same time -- very odd -- then I got numerous messages telling me to delete trash so I did -- but of course I didn't consciously delete hundreds of folders with 15,000 items -- this was a glitch. 3) Unlike you, the Lindens concede this whole process was a problem, even if they don't quite believe that it happened automatically. They now have added various checks against this.

Opening two inventory windows doesn't require skill or a special viewer. But it's laggy, like so many other things and -- why? The issue is I don't items in world that I didn't ask to dump on me to start dumping. So I can pull them out and sort them at will. It's a normal request and the responses in this thread indicate that.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

ohhh how comes SL is soooo lagggyyyyyy....

coughs... no idea....

I always though sarcasm was supposed to be a witty response to something someone ACTUALLY said, not what you have perceived them to be saying....I guess I was wrong. There is a difference between complaining about something and stating your own experience and preferences when it comes to using the SL viewer vs Firestorm vs Alchemy. You act like I was complaining, I wasn't. On my gaming computer I have the draw distance up further, especially if i'm running my own sim to be able to cam in on avatars and situations up to 4096m away (firestorm max value). On my MacBook I have the draw distance at 96m. This isn't difficult to process but feel free to take your time while you let all that sink in. Don't respond too quickly though I don't want to tax what few braincells you actually have.

4 hours ago, lavalois said:

You are aware that the draw distance is in meters, right? So you want to be able to see things up to 16 sims away? In your peripheral vision that means that your viewer will have to load about 214 sims at the same time. I don't know about your computer, but mine would have serious issues with that.

Obviously I wouldn't have it up that high if I was on mainland or one of the Chung mega continents. However, If I'm running my own private sim I like to have a longer draw distance so I can cam in on avatars if there are any issues before teleporting to deal with it. Or, if im busy doing something else and someone Rez something they shouldn't. Then be able to cam in and see what it is before returning it, if it needs returning at all. 4096 is just the value firestorm gives you so is the value I threw out there. Now, yes the value is in meters.....however.....you forget the height of a sim not just the width. However on the main viewer the draw distance caps out at 512m and unlike Firestorm doesn't render a great deal beyond that and locks the cam to that max distance away. Even with constraints removed. Not very useful for seeing something going on at the top of the sim when your on the bottom. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Surely the opposite is true? 

Right click -> add on the box/hud, perhaps click it if there's no auto-unpack script, then drag the folder into the subfolder it belongs. If you have a vaguely coherent sorting system, this should not be difficult.

Your way means you either have to create a folder for this particular item inside the category subfolder, name it some thing appropriate, then rez out the box, open build tools, then drag the objects into the new folder. It's objectively more work with more steps.

Unless you just throw in the objects loose into the category subfolder. In which case you aren't allowed to have opinions about sorting again, you savage.

You're apparently not reading all the posts.

The default we had and which was useful and non-harmful was to rez a box inworld on the ground, and drag the item out of its contents into a folder -- hopefully already made. In my ase, they're already made so it's more efficient.

The "dragging up through hundreds of folders" isn't a norm that I want or do -- it's what you would have to do if you just allow boxes to automatically unpack and accept them, so that it goes to the top of "objects" -- but then *from there* attempt to get it into the right folder -- without opening a second inventory window.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, chibiusa Ling said:

Obviously I wouldn't have it up that high if I was on mainland or one of the Chung mega continents. However, If I'm running my own private sim I like to have a longer draw distance so I can cam in on avatars if there are any issues before teleporting to deal with it. Or, if im busy doing something else and someone Rez something they shouldn't. Then be able to cam in and see what it is before returning it, if it needs returning at all. 4096 is just the value firestorm gives you so is the value I threw out there. Now, yes the value is in meters.....however.....you forget the height of a sim not just the width. However on the main viewer the draw distance caps out at 512m and unlike Firestorm doesn't render a great deal beyond that and locks the cam to that max distance away. Even with constraints removed. Not very useful for seeing something going on at the top of the sim when your on the bottom. 

I can do all of that with my draw distance of 128 just fine. The draw distance is measured from your cam, not from your avatar. So if you see someone enter on your minimap, just rightclick on the dot on the minimap and click cam. Presto! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lavalois said:

I can do all of that with my draw distance of 128 just fine. The draw distance is measured from your cam, not from your avatar. So if you see someone enter on your minimap, just rightclick on the dot on the minimap and click cam. Presto! 

On firestorm maybe....hence why use Firestorm. On the official LL viewer however there is a cam lock that occurs after a certain distance. Even with constraints removed you cant go beyond a certain point. It just will not do it. Also with the 512m max DD limit, nearby  doesn't list all avatars in the region like FS does. The mini map is one thing but the camera just will not go there for me on the LL viewer. Also I just double checked on the LL viewer, whilst you may be able to cam from map in Firestorm, you cant in V3.0

Edited by chibiusa Ling

2 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

You're apparently not reading all the posts.

The default we had and which was useful and non-harmful was to rez a box inworld on the ground, and drag the item out of its contents into a folder -- hopefully already made. In my ase, they're already made so it's more efficient.

The "dragging up through hundreds of folders" isn't a norm that I want or do -- it's what you would have to do if you just allow boxes to automatically unpack and accept them, so that it goes to the top of "objects" -- but then *from there* attempt to get it into the right folder -- without opening a second inventory window.

It's not more efficient at all. You don't get to say "the extra steps needed to unpack an object don't count because I did them before rezzing the box", that's garbage logic. It doesn't matter if you scroll through your sorting system in advance in order to create the new folder, or scrolling through after an auto-unpacker has given you the folder - it's a step you have to do regardless.

• Like 1

I feel like adding the box, clicking the unpack, or better yet it unpacking itself into a folder is better and more efficient. Much more efficient than drag the box on the ground, right click box, click unpack, click to confirm, get a message that says some contents aren’t copyable, click, click, click.

2 clicks is more efficient than 5 or 6 clicks.

Thats just me though, I’m a millennial.

Edited by janetosilio
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, chibiusa Ling said:

I always though ............I don't want to tax what few braincells you actually have.

don't try to think if you can't ... your suggestion for 4096 for draw distance is absurd.

If you can't stand people respond to you, don't post.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ethan Paslong said:

don't try to think if you can't ... your suggestion for 4096 for draw distance is absurd.

If you can't stand people respond to you, don't post.

*Shrugs* Your opinion. My preference. It already exists in Firestorm, if it didn't have SOME use then surely they would have dialled that down? or never implemented it in the first place?. I wasn't wanting to start a whole thing with this and I don't have any issue with people responding. But when someone tries and fails to be a troll toward you its hard to not respond in a quirky way yourself. Now go say four Hail Marys and five Our Fathers and il forgive you.

14 minutes ago, chibiusa Ling said:

On the official LL viewer however there is a cam lock that occurs after a certain distance. Even with constraints removed you cant go beyond a certain point. It just will not do it.

Yep, Firestorm has much looser camera constraints then the LL viewer. No way to fix that apart from with code changes.

21 minutes ago, chibiusa Ling said:

However on the main viewer the draw distance caps out at 512m

On the LL viewer, you can raise the draw distance higher with the debug setting RenderFarClip.

You can do the "cam in on distant avatars" on the LL viewer too, but it's a bit faffy.
People -> Nearby is limited to 130m.
You can raise that range with the debug setting NearMeRange - WARNING! This will hurt performance on busy regions especially.  The LL Nearby  panel isn't optimized to be used like a full radar.
Right click on any avatar name in the Nearby panel -> Zoom.

2 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Yep, Firestorm has much looser camera constraints then the LL viewer. No way to fix that apart from with code changes.

On the LL viewer, you can raise the draw distance higher with the debug setting RenderFarClip.

You can do the "cam in on distant avatars" on the LL viewer too, but it's a bit faffy.
People -> Nearby is limited to 130m.
You can raise that range with the debug setting NearMeRange - WARNING! This will hurt performance on busy regions especially.  The LL Nearby  panel isn't optimized to be used like a full radar.
Right click on any avatar name in the Nearby panel -> Zoom.

Thank you, I didn't actually know that. When I tried to do it I changed it in the actual XML files themselves and it did nothing. When I tried to research up if there was a debug setting I wasn't able to find any mention of one. Muchly appreciated for sharing that with me. I knew about zoom but couldn't obviously go that far as I couldn't get the draw distance up further

Edited by chibiusa Ling
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

I do have a question for you actually whirly. Something iv always wondered. In Firestorm you can mute individual group IM's from showing up. Is that a feature added by the Firestorm team and requires coding or is that something that can be done by modding one of the viewer files.

I'm still a fan of the old simple box set to "click to open" - then in the "open" window, rather than clicking the "Copy to Inventory" button, I select the items I want from that window and manually drag into the Inventory folder where I want it.

All the other methods aren't a bother. Annoying to me, maybe, but not a bother. I always rez them, even if they are HUDs and "open" them. Because I shall do things my way and no other way. However, I don't feel the urgent need to rant about the other ways.

• Like 2

So, I had this sort of weird thing happen to me recently with packaging.

i bought a demo and, as per the instructions on the attachment, "wore" it. It ended up being one of those animated things where you suddenly find yourself holding a huge stack of be-ribboned boxed and packages, while the attachment loads the contents into a folder in your inventory. Kind of cute, actually, if really unnecessary.

BUT after I detached the packages, I discovered that it had discoloured my Slink hands: suddenly they were a sort of nondescript tan colour. And reapplying my skin didn't fix it: they were stuck that way. I'm not even sure how an animation and attachment could do this: maybe it was something else that just coincidentally happened at the same moment? But those copies of my hands were definitely permanently corrupted.

It was no biggy: after a few attempts to fix it, I simply tossed them and attached new copies of the hands, and they were fine. But it has made me a bit more wary about blindly attaching packages I've bought.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.