Huge Packaging Annoyances

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What I like the best is a HUD on screen with no automatic unpacking. I click the HUD and the items go nicely into my inventory into a folder.
The I can open that folder and delete everything there what I might not need. Then I have another inventory window open folder and I can easily drag the unpacked folder where ever I want it to be. If the goods what I bought was expensive then I save the original full package too into that folder. Very easy and convenient procedure.

The second best is a bag what I wear. Click it and the contents go into a folder.

These two methods are handy when shopping and trying out many demos, no need to go home to try them on there. 🙂
- - - - -
What I don't like are the packages which will open all kinds windows on my screen (pictures, notecards, animations, etc.).
I can open them myself from the inventory, no need to automatically fill my screen with them. ¬¬
- - - - -

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

What I like the best is a HUD on screen with no automatic unpacking. I click the HUD and the items go nicely into my inventory into a folder.

These days that is my preferred method. When I remember to "add" instead of rez. ¬¬

Oh hell, who am I kidding. I agree with your whole post. But I still go home to try demos. I can keep my inventory much better organized and cleaned up that way.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

What I don't like are the packages which will open all kinds windows on my screen (pictures, notecards, animations, etc.).
I can open them myself from the inventory, no need to automatically fill my screen with them. ¬¬

You can't make a script open stuff onto your screen, besides a map. If you've seen textures and those "play animation" windows pop up, you had your viewer set to do that.

On 11/26/2018 at 6:55 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

You don't want to struggle to drag it upward through numerous files, always risking slipping and dropping it. You don't want to do a search and try to snag both the new item and something in the folder you want to put it in.

You want to just drag it from the box to start with, the end.

....or you could just right click the folder, hit "Cut" then scroll to whatever folder you want the item folder in and click paste...but that's above you too right?

• Like 3

Um, no. I'm aware of that. But I don't want to do an action that involves even temporarily cutting a folder or object in the belief that it will "paste" later because of crashes, problems, glitches that occur too often. This is not a rational way to sort inventory because of these risks. You come back and that thing isn't there.

I will do another thing, which is "copy" a copyable new thing in the general objects and then "paste" it into the relevant folder -- which is a far safer proposition because if I lock up or freeze or crash, it's "still there". But because of the "scrollup" or "scrolldown" in BOTH "cut" or "paste" -- which is what I mean by saying "you don't want to drag it upward" -- it is STUPID.

Scrolling through a zillion folders while holding something to paste from either "cut" or "copy" just isn't rational because of lag, slippage etc.

What is far, FAR more rational is to -- wait for it -- drag the item out of a box's content inworld that HAS NOT automatically unpacked, and put it into a file folder.

Automatically unpacking is evil -- annoying, causing content loss, confusing, etc. 

Sure, opening up another inventory window -- a process that now takes more than a minute because of the trouble in general with getting things to open in SL (see above re: "spinny dials") is also something that isn't rational -- I do it often for general clean-ups but it's not normal to do it a half dozen times a day for purchases or freebies or just sorting in general.

What is rational is pulling out of a box that serves as a much-easier-to-open "inventory window" if you will on one thing -- maybe that will help you accept it.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Um, no. I'm aware of that. But I don't want to do an action that involves even temporarily cutting a folder or object in the belief that it will "paste" later because of crashes, problems, glitches that occur too often. This is not a rational way to sort inventory because of these risks. You come back and that thing isn't there.

A "cut" doesn't delete the file until after you have pasted it. Make a couple blank prims and try this out:

Cut one box, don't paste, and cut another box instead. The first box is unaffected. Now, while you've cut the second box, relog. The second box is unaffected.

There's no possible glitch that could happen here because of how cut/paste works.

Scrolling through a zillion folders while holding something to paste from either "cut" or "copy" just isn't rational because of lag, slippage etc.

This is entirely valid. Personally, my mouse sometimes releases a mouse click because there is dust in the mouse and/or I don't apply enough pressure while moving the mouse.

Automatically unpacking is evil -- annoying, causing content loss, confusing, etc. 

This is a matter of preference (annoying), habit (confusing), and lastly doubtful. I'd like to see the risk of content loss demonstrated (not a story of what happened), because even if an unpacker sends you a folder and automatically detaches itself, you can still accept the folder and "receive" it.

Fun fact: When someone/thing gives you ANYTHING, it is automatically put into your inventory before you even accept the prompt. Accepting or refusing it just tells your viewer what to do. On accept, the viewer will probably just bring up your inventory with the item selected (or whatever it's set to do), on refuse the viewer will move it to trash. DOING NOTHING (eg. crash) will leave the item in a default system folder, or main inventory if it was a folder.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

On 11/28/2018 at 12:43 AM, Theresa Tennyson said:

1) Go to "RECENT" tab, right click new goodie, select "Cut."

2) Go to "MY INVENTORY" tab, right click your desired folder, select "Paste."

Even easier:

- Open inventory, go to recent tab.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+I, which opens a second inventory window, and drag and drop

• Like 1

So....why exactly did you post this thread if you are just going to reject EVERY bit of advice and help you get? I'm not going to deny you have some made some really good points, but every reply you post you come off as really condescending and at times, rude. I don't entirely understand why you made this thread, if you're just going to come up as Snappy and rude to everyone that tries to help you.

Edited by IvyLarae
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

So....why exactly did you post this thread if you are just going to reject EVERY bit of advice and help you get? I'm not going to deny you have some made some really good points, but every reply you post you come off as really condescending and at times, rude. I don't entirely understand why you made this thread, if you're just going to come up as Snappy and rude to everyone that tries to help you.

Because it's Prok, it's what she does...just sayin'

• Like 2

I pointed this out a couple pages back. The post basically starts off in a way that is inciteful and says “If you don’t agree with me, eff off.”

Since I did it in a humorous way, I was a meanie. 

We’re actually discussing “how to open a box” and “which way to open a box is better”

Only on SL....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

I pointed this out a couple pages back. The post basically starts off in a way that is inciteful and says “If you don’t agree with me, eff off.”

Since I did it in a humorous way, I was a meanie. 

We’re actually discussing “how to open a box” and “which way to open a box is better”

Only on SL....

“Huge Packages” are funny!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, lavalois said:

Even easier:

- Open inventory, go to recent tab.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+I, which opens a second inventory window, and drag and drop

Or just click on the button in the inventory window to open a second inventory window. In FS just click on the little suitcase looking icon. Or you can click on the gear icon and select open new inventory from the top of the menu list if you prefer an extra step. 

• Like 1

It is not wise to confuse personal preferences with the ratio. First has to do with our own likes, what we enjoy or what we are used to do. Things that person does out of habit, no matter how much she enjoys them, cannot be confused with ratio. One has to watch for the reputation because observers might think one's ratio is not working properly.

And trying to force our own likes and personal taste simply by declaring them rational is even worse case of confusion. One might be considered logically impaired. 

I really hope this is a trolling thread, made to have some fun and I wish everyone a lovely weekend.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, IvyLarae said:

"When you understand the nature of a thing... You know what it is capable of..."

Previous "Prokages" delivered to the forum include...

. Accounts that are 12 years old are automatically ENTITLED to be trusted completely by younger accounts...

. Anyone who knows how a computer actually works is probably a "leftist"...

. Anyone who uses a Third Party Viewer is probably some sort of hacker and griefer...

Get used to her, we all have.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

"When you understand the nature of a thing... You know what it is capable of..."

. Accounts that are 12 years old are automatically ENTITLED to be trusted completely by younger accounts...

. Anyone who uses a Third Party Viewer is probably some sort of hacker and griefer...

I had no idea. Maybe this person is sitting somewhere in her home, drinking coffee and laughing like crazy because she managed to get us discuss about boxes through 5 pages. Worst thing is, this is about the big annoyances, not packages lol, I thought the packages are big! 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tamara Artis said:

I had no idea. Maybe this person is sitting somewhere in her home, drinking coffee and laughing like crazy because she managed to get us discuss about boxes through 5 pages. Worst thing is, this is about the big annoyances, not packages lol, I thought the packages are big! 

HUGE!!1!!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Careful there Klytyna. You're going to get us all accused of canoodling with 'Russian Prokages"! 😂

• Haha 2

I hate it when my package doesn't fit...such an annoyance

Like, when I tried to get my 5 foot tall package into a spot in my closet that is only four feet tall. Like, seriously package, why you gotta be so huge? 

Though, small package can be just as troublesome. I had a small package break my mailbox last week.  Ok, so my box is plastic, and the UPS guy really drove it in there...still, small packages shouldn't be able to do so much damage.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tamara Artis said:

Sadly, no. Prok is incapable of trolling, not on that level and certainly not purposely. 

Prok actually believes what they post is The One Holy Truth and will viciously attack anyone that dares to disagree, eventually going so far as to try and discover the identity of the person operating the account disagreeing... All in the name of "accountability".

• Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.