how far away is the SL sun

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2075 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, AmandaKeen said:

Maybe we should send an SL spacecraft to go measure the distance to the SL sun.

....We could build a nice Mesh spaceship....

Depends what LI allowance the Lab have put on the sun. You don't wish to enter the area to see the message "Region Full"

• Haha 3

• Lindens
46 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Wait we can provide a cookie moon texture in the future? Yummy...

Yes.  Pizzas and orbiting space stations are also possibilities.  Other features include a texture on the sun disk and custom cloud textures... among other improvements. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Depends what LI allowance the Lab have put on the sun. You don't wish to enter the area to see the message "Region Full"

or

you arrive, Object Entry is allowed, but the sun god has banlines up :D

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

...prepares textures for a blood moon.

If you live in Europe or South America remember Friday the 27th of July 2018 - very long Blood Moon and Mars hanging clear and visible at same time, will be a spectacular sight.

See The Spectacle of a Blood Moon and Mars: the total lunar eclipse of July 27th/28th 2018

I noticed something weird. SL sunset is more beautiful with ALM (Advanced Lighting Model) off, than when ALM is on. By the name of ALM one would except otherwise. xD;)
Nothing advanced in it when it comes to sunset. ALM ruins the water reflection. The time of the day in the two pictures is exactly the same, the only difference being ALM ON and ALM OFF.

Dear Linden gods, can you possibly fix this. :/

Picture 1. ALM ON

2018-07-26_sunset_ALM-ON.thumb.jpg.61e9f8e743c2ade274889d110cfaef6d.jpg

Picture 2. ALM OFF

2018-07-26_sunset_ALM-OFF.thumb.jpg.3c992905589d497a7c586f5902234d42.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Second Life gravity is not a property of matter.  This can be easily verified by the fact that ordinary prims can be positioned in the air, after which they remain in place.  When a prim is made Physical, it becomes subject to gravity and falls.

In fact, Second Life gravity is a service provided by Linden Lab.  At the present time, gravity is provided free of charge.  However, with the recent decrease in land tier and private region pricing and land fees, LL needs to find replacement sources of revenue.  One such source of revenue is a monthly charge for Gravity Use for all residents.

In the coming months, we are sure to see situations such as this:

Scene:  A crowded club.  DJ FONEBONE is playing some heavy metal for the crowd.  Suddenly, all the dancers begin to float up into the air.

CLUB PATRON 1:  WTF?

CLUB PATRON 2: Hey!  Did some clown just orbit me?

DJ FONEBONE:  Remain calm, everyone!  Just switch to the Air Dance menu in the dance ball

CLUB HOSTESS:  Darn it.  Penelope forgot to pay the gravity bill again.

People begin dancing on the ceiling.  A few residents unfortunate enough to have been under an open skylight float up and are never seen again.

(Oh, and Elle?  I have a twisted imagination, but even I can't wrap my mind around a Moebius Torus Model of SL.  A big flat plate riding on an elephant, standing on a turtle, makes a lot more sense.  After that, of course, it's turtles, all the way down.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

In fact, Second Life gravity is a service provided by Linden Lab.

Are you saying Real Life is different? We all do pay gravity tax, don't we?

You can't do this in RL though. Three physical spheres, all being pulled down by the gravity of gravity. But they're so perfectly balanced they stay on top of each other until somebody comes along and knocks them over. Kids, do try this at home.

5b67af2dd1d85_Stackofphysicalspheres.png.ceba327dca73efbd981758da8044bfb4.png

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Second Life gravity is not a property of matter.  This can be easily verified by the fact that ordinary prims can be positioned in the air, after which they remain in place.  When a prim is made Physical, it becomes subject to gravity and falls.

There should be an antigravity service charge for non-physical objects unconnected to the ground. That would discourage unnecessary skyboxes. If you don't pay your antigravity bill, your object becomes physical and falls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On July 23, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Ceka Cianci said:

Do not try and calculate the rotation of the sun in SL.. That is impossible.

Instead, only try and realize the truth..

There is no sun.

Then you will see that it is not the sun that rotates..It is only yourself..

*Ceka begins to fade back into the intranets,like a super awesome historically YuGE  and amazing oracle, in the wind*

Reality exists in the mind of each individual, the Sun's position is relative to the individual's Windlight, so obviously the distance to the Sun is relative to.

On 8/6/2018 at 10:57 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

(Oh, and Elle?  I have a twisted imagination, but even I can't wrap my mind around a Moebius Torus Model of SL.  A big flat plate riding on an elephant, standing on a turtle, makes a lot more sense.  After that, of course, it's turtles, all the way down.)

weeell! as the most likely explanation is that which the observations to date conform with then sorry no turtles! :D

On 7/25/2018 at 10:47 AM, Rider Linden said:

Yes.  Pizzas and orbiting space stations are also possibilities.  Other features include a texture on the sun disk and custom cloud textures... among other improvements. 

Other improvements? Hmm.. now my curiosity is piqued. Something I’ve long thought would be lovely is a moon disk that actually glowed properly. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2075 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.