how far away is the SL sun

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2083 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i was thinking about how far away is the SL sun. I know right! but yanno :)

far away meaning relative to the distance between realworld earth and sun

what I came up with follows

- the earth rotates full circle in about 1440 minutes
- earth radius is about 6.4 million kms
- circumference then about 40 million kms
- an earth peg on the surface at the equator travels 40 million / 1440, approx. 28kms per minute

- the number of earth rotations in its orbit around the sun is approx. 365
- rotation distance by an earth peg at the equator is 365 * 40 million kms. 14,600 million kms
- the distance from earth to sun (orbit radius) is approx. 149.6 million kms
- the orbit distance (circumference) then about 940 million kms

- unrolled the earth peg travels 14,600 * 940. 137,240,000 million kms in 1 earth orbit
- when we divide this by the rotation speed 28 kms then scale 1:4,901,428,571

applying this to a SL region

- a region rotates full circle in about 240 minutes (relative to the SL sun)
- the diagonal of a region is about 0.362 kms. Radius half this
- circumference then about 1.137 kms
- a region peg on the surface at the region equator travels 1.137 / 240, 0.0047375 kms per minute

- multiplying this by the earth scale then: 23,220,518
- dividing this by 1.137 gives us a region orbit around the SL sun of 20,422,619 kms

- the radius of this (distance to SL sun) is approx: 3,250,360 kms

i just wonder if there is an easier way to calculate this, or have I made a logical error and what I think is the answer is wrong ?

• Like 1

We know SL is flat, this is an established and immutable fact. The sun rotates around the world.

The sun is also in an elliptical orbit. It takes 3 hours to travel from 0° to 180° then 1 hour to travel under the planet. So we should probably work on the distance at aphelion, or noon when the sun is at it's furthest from the sim surface.

Tyche tells us the usable surface of the planet is 3050km2 so so that's 55km x 55km - but then there is a lot of void water which needs to be taken into account. The SL land purchasing portal backed up with Firestorms map suggests sims exists in world from world position <400,400> to <1400,1400> so this is 256kmx256km meters or 65536km2.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ellestones said:

- the earth rotates full circle in about 1440 minutes
- earth radius is about 6.4 million kms
- circumference then about 40 million kms
- an earth peg on the surface at the equator travels 40 million / 1440, approx. 28kms per minute

Umm ... needs recalculation.

earth radius is 6.4 million m or 6400 km.

Assuming that kms means km

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

We know SL is flat, this is an established and immutable fact. The sun rotates around the world.

The sun is also in an elliptical orbit. It takes 3 hours to travel from 0° to 180° then 1 hour to travel under the planet. So we should probably work on the distance at aphelion, or noon when the sun is at it's furthest from the sim surface.

i did look at it from the flat earth perspective as well. I think though that the algorithm steps are the same. I am just not sure they are. I already got a input value wrong so I could be wrong on the steps as well

At any instant, llGetSunDirection() is the same across the grid* so the sun must be infinitely distant and the world must be flat.

There's a competing theory that the world's surface is concave which could indeed produce that uniform angle to a finite-distance sun--but only at noon--which may explain some regions where it's always noon.

_________
*for those regions using standard day-night cycles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

Why is it that the SL moon moves thru the night sky but the stars remain stationary?

Why is the moon always full?

And why can't we see the disk of the SL sun instead of some indiscrete blob of light?

1. 2 spheres, only the inner one, the one with the moon has an llTargetOmega() on it.

2. Because its painted on the inner sphere.

3. Emmissive alpha, and with the glow set to 1.0 (the Linden Gods didn't use full bright).

157109416_ac924d26ac.jpg.7bae65cb3c9f8db2925c32892146a28f.jpg

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

At any instant, llGetSunDirection() is the same across the grid* so the sun must be infinitely distant and the world must be flat.

There's a competing theory that the world's surface is concave which could indeed produce that uniform angle to a finite-distance sun--but only at noon--which may explain some regions where it's always noon.

_________
*for those regions using standard day-night cycles.

if it concave why I can't see austraila? From my kitchen window?

• Like 1

Actually the sl earth is round. One day I was bored so I scrolled the map west from Zindra, past the continents, past the vast estates, past the last lonely sim islands, and then across a vast void of empty sea. 

Then all of a sudden a continent came into view.

It was Zindra, I had scrolled all the way around the world and come back to the easternmost land.

Then i thought i'd try the same thing, going south, and after a few hours, lo and behold, i was back at Zindra.

So you see, the sl earth is round.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Sarah Palin can.

Sarah Palin was trashed by the media and the women's rights movement  because she wasn't the "correct" kind of woman.  She was a republican, hence a traitor to her sex.

It's the same with blacks, if they are republican, they are attacked as race traitors.

• Thanks 1

suppose we go with the idea that the SL sun revolves around the SL world. Further suppose that the SL map is flat but the SL world is a cylinder

apply this to Earth and Sol (sun chariot).  Sol whizzes round the Earth in 1440 minutes. Sol is 149.6 million kms from Earth. Distance travelled by Sol in 1 orbit is about 940 million kms

940,000,000 divided by 1440 is approx. 652,800 kms a minute. brrrm!

SL sun whizzes around in 240 minutes

so the question. If the speed of SL sun is the same as Sol then how far away is SL sun to get around in 240 minutes ?

240 * 652,800 = 156,672,000 orbit circumference. Radius: 24.9 million kms approx., distance to SL sun

is a tiny bit out if we factor in the diameter of the cylinders, but is close enough

unless I can't count again and Nova goes erm! :)

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

One day I was bored so I scrolled the map west from Zindra, past the continents, past the vast estates, past the last lonely sim islands, and then across a vast void of empty sea. 

Then all of a sudden a continent came into view.

It was Zindra, I had scrolled all the way around the world and come back to the easternmost land.

Then i thought i'd try the same thing, going south, and after a few hours, lo and behold, i was back at Zindra.

i never knew that happened with the SL map.  Thats pretty interesting

if the SL world followed this then its shape  would be a torus. Even more interesting!

when so then Qie's theory of the SL sun being at an infinite distance begins to hold up

Edited by ellestones
begins

thinking about it even more :D

the SL world is a twisted torus, shaped so that the surface area is 512kms by 512kms, assuming positive numbers 1 to 2000 and a scale of 1:256 meters with 1000/1000 being at the centre when the surface is flattened

when so then the SL sun is a ring threaded by the torus. A ring sun which only shines inwards

i think :)

edit add: yes this works

the speed at which the ring sun travels is 512 km divided by 240 minutes.  2.13 kms a minute

edit more

tying this with Qie's theory that the SL sun is infinite and we apply this to the visual disk in the SL sky then in the field of real numbers the positions of the disk on the inside of the ring are infinite. Where ever we stand on the surface of the world the sun disk is always in the same position relative to where we are 

Edited by ellestones

1 hour ago, ellestones said:

altho thinking more about the torus shape

there could be 2 suns. 1 outside the torus, and 1 inside.  And in the centre of the torus hole would be a secret planet. Ooo! :)

isn't that secret planet called Gor?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ellestones said:

the SL world is a twisted torus, shaped so that the surface area is 512kms by 512kms, assuming positive numbers 1 to 2000 and a scale of 1:256 meters with 1000/1000 being at the centre when the surface is flattened

It's an interesting concept!

mobius-band.gif.436899f3a4fb0026ef4d097df6f49a11.gif

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2083 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.