System avatar - out of style?

00TK

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, 00TK said:

Will I be laughed at if I don't use a mesh head?

Nope.  I have only just started using one after resisting for a long time. 

Never rush into expensive purchases like mesh heads until you are ready and have done your homework on what is best for you and your style and if and when you do wish to take the plunge DEMO DEMO DEMO and demo some more until you are truly happy with any purchase and don't worry what anyone else thinks. :)

• Like 4

Yes, of course, absolutely. Because everyone is so heartless, especially here on the forums. ;)

Now seriously: since you portray a young child as your avatar, you might perhaps prefer a mesh head - especially those meant for kids - to smooth the facial features. But that's completely up to you and your style. 

46 minutes ago, 00TK said:

Actually, I'll laugh at you if you do use a mesh head :)

My plan is to be the last avatar in SL with a system head, because until I can manipulate the head sliders to make a mesh head an exact copy of my system head, I'm totally not interested.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

It doesn't really matter what others would like to see on your avatar, what matters is what you would like to see, after all, others are going to see it for a short time while you will see it all the time.

they can make their avatars however they want, you can make your avatar however you like, everybody is the boss of how they want to live their Second Life.

now, if you are really interested in being part of a group that frown upon system avatars, like a modelling agency, you may want to have 1 mesh avatar that you can use in special occasions. who knows? you may end up liking it better and may become your main shape.

do whatever feels right for you, system avatar, mesh avatar, you decide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Comment removed in case it was perceived as hateful.

I already got an "unoffical" warning for being mean, I hope my previous reply won't get me an official notice, because I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just responding in the same style as the OP posted

2 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Yes, of course, absolutely. Because everyone is so heartless, especially here on the forums. ;)

Now seriously: since you portray a young child as your avatar, you might perhaps prefer a mesh head - especially those meant for kids - to smooth the facial features. But that's completely up to you and your style. 

I really do think the people here can be heartless, lol.

I appreciate you giving an actually thoughtful, helpful answer. 

Cindy and Canoro as well. Zsigmond, I promise to only to run naked at sandboxes :P

3 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

...My plan is to be the last avatar in SL with a system head, because until I can manipulate the head sliders to make a mesh head an exact copy of my system head, I'm totally not interested.

/me looks at BilliJo competitively, then looks into the distance, where no finish line can be seen, and takes one... slow...... step.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, 00TK said:

I sure as heck hope not since I don't have, nor do I want, a mesh head.  I am happy with my system head.

Then again, I really don't care if someone wants to laugh.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Actually, I'll laugh at you if you do use a mesh head :)

My plan is to be the last avatar in SL with a system head, because until I can manipulate the head sliders to make a mesh head an exact copy of my system head, I'm totally not interested.

/me laughs at you relentlessly. 

7 hours ago, 00TK said:

Cindy and Canoro as well. Zsigmond, I promise to only to run naked at sandboxes :P

Feel free to run naked on my sim.  Just not inside the store (but that that would end up being a whole other thread/rant)

Oh wait I just read again... a child avi?  maybe not then.  there are slexy things there and nope child avi sorry I take back my offer :ph34r:

Edited by Cindy Evanier
Learn to read properly Cind

17 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

You won't succeed. Or you may, but only if you stay in SL longer than me, because I have no intention whatsoever of changing my system head under any circumstances. You say you will change when you can manipulate the sliders sufficiently well, so, if that happens, you've lost already ;)

Edited by Phil Deakins

99% of my avatars(And I have well over 100!) I have use the system body, as well as a lot of other people I know. As long as it doesn't look like Ralph Pootawn/Bluetawn, or something from the Polygon's Monster Factory series, you should be fine.

Edited by Chaser Zaks

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

You won't succeed. Or you may, but only if you stay in SL longer than me, because I have no intention whatsoever of changing my system head under any circumstances. You say you will change when you can manipulate the sliders sufficiently well, so, if that happens, you've lost already ;)

We should start a group.

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sticking with 'system' for head and body.  I don't think going 'mesh' would improve on what I have already, with my shape, skin and various skin mods on tattoo layer.  I've even got my toes looking reasonable!  I tried a mesh demo body and in itself it was good, but whatever I did with the sliders I couldn't get it close to my normal slim, athletic shape.

Edited by Conifer Dada

• 1 year later...
On 8/30/2017 at 3:46 PM, 00TK said:

A year past the op, and I can announce with pride that it's the mesh-heads I still laugh at. They, to me, are just fish-lipped samey-clones. I've always found them coarse and ugly, made as they are by "creators" with no grasp of what constitutes human beauty. IMHO, a system head and traditional skin (very important) are the only ways to retain individuality in SL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One of the ugliest things, to me, is a superiority complex. Doesn't matter which side of the fence it comes from.

There's room for every type of avatar in Second Life, no matter what it looks like.

As for resurrecting a long-dead topic just to point and laugh, that's not a great look for anyone to wear: mesh or system.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

All five of my avatars are system - i personally don't see the sense in mesh, especially as it presents a potential data drain on the system (Sl, that is). SL is still running on a system that was designed well before the advent of mesh and therefore is not fully capable of coping with it.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.