System avatar - out of style?

00TK

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, Deann3 said:

SL is still running on a system that was designed well before the advent of mesh and therefore is not fully capable of coping with it.

for a system that's what you say it runs mesh very well...  if now designers also would optimize a bit, and some others just only start with using reasonable texturing, there wouldn't be problems at all, even without huge changes to the system.
(and quite some problems you refer to are not server side, but client side)

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, dwirmjac said:

A year past the op, and I can announce with pride that it's the mesh-heads I still laugh at. They, to me, are just fish-lipped samey-clones. I've always found them coarse and ugly, made as they are by "creators" with no grasp of what constitutes human beauty. IMHO, a system head and traditional skin (very important) are the only ways to retain individuality in SL.

I am not sure how long you've been in SL, but the pouty lips trend started long before mesh heads hit the scene; so the look is indicative of the users preference. Back in the day people were sporting that look using legacy heads. True story!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, dwirmjac said:

A year past the op, and I can announce with pride that it's the mesh-heads I still laugh at. They, to me, are just fish-lipped samey-clones. I've always found them coarse and ugly, made as they are by "creators" with no grasp of what constitutes human beauty. IMHO, a system head and traditional skin (very important) are the only ways to retain individuality in SL.

Green is not a good color for you.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dwirmjac said:

You've said in other places that you can't see Bento-rigged objects. Therefore, how do you know what modern mesh heads look like in world?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Do not buy anything in SL to please others, unless you think pleasing others will encourage  them to pay for what you bought. I have invested quite a bit of lindens into mesh parts for my avi, in hopes that investment results in better tips when I am on a dance pole. If you are not asking people to tip you, their opinion of your look isn't important.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dwirmjac said:

The "clones" you talk about are just those people who simply go for the big-name big-price heads and wear the default shapes supplied with them, with no interest/ability in customising them. There is a big choice available, in hugely differing styles which can usually be customised to one's heart's content, but they don't seem to care about that. And the same goes for system heads; I see as many permanoob clones who simply picked one of the default avatars and maybe changed their clothes/hair but nothing else. I'm sure that would have been even more obvious in years past when there was no such thing as mesh heads. So, what really matters is not so much what you wear, but how you wear it. Lots of people look really good with their system heads, while lots of others find that they can do even better with a well-crafted mesh head. Isn't it nice to have the choice?

In my own case, I held out for a long time with my system head, brought it as far as I could to the appearance I wanted, but eventually found a small-name small-price mesh head which I thought looked a lot better, and a short time later another even smaller-name/-price head which is better again. Sometimes I go back to my old system head/shape/skin and compare it with what I have now, and I can't believe the difference.

Edited by angeoco
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, dwirmjac said:

From your inworld profile, quote:
"BTW, I can't see Bento and never shall,... You won't, nor will you ever, find a mesh head on this body. Bento was a diabolical idea. It ruined this world."

But, but... if you cannot see Bento heads properly, how can you judge them?

It's the time to update your viewer so that you can enjoy the variety, individuality and beauty what many Bento heads have.
Bento heads have lots of nice facial animations making the avatar's face to look alive.

You really are missing a lot by not using Bento enabled viewer. You do! Wouldn't it be nicer for you if you could see Bento heads properly on others who wear them; instead of seeing them as some ugly distorted blobs? Naturally you don't need to wear Bento head yourself if you don't want to. System head can look very nice too, with some limitations.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I saw more lookalikes of my old default avatar then I have of my current bento headed avatar.  And duck lips were definitely around forever on default avatars.  Not to mention the 'deer in the headlights" look I usually see around the eyes.  I don't care if you want to stay with default, many of my closest friends are still using default, but this constant bashing is just stupid.  We all have different ideas of beauty and SL helps us embrace it.  As for Vitruvian Man (yes I did peek at the profile), while Di Vinci was a genius, he was also a man of his times, a white European male.  Since then, we know a lot more of the world and the cultures in it.  Beauty that doesn't even come close to his ideal can be found all over the world.

Edited by Sandy Schnook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You've got this paradox of people being very focused on not letting their avatar being changed by new trends, fashion or technology around them, but as protective as they are about their own avatar, as aggressive and displeased they are with everyone elses avatar choices.

• Thanks 2

I'm going to preface this with I could be way off track, but here goes.

I think a lot of the anti-mesh statements come from those who don't like mesh wanting those of us who do love mesh to admit that system is as good as or better than using mesh. I just can't do that. I wouldn't have switched to mesh if I thought that was the case. Do I think they should change because I like mesh better? Well, I do think they'd have better looking avatars if they did, but I in no way would tell them to change or tell them that they don't look good. It's a matter of choice. Everyone of us who have switched to mesh are basically a walking testament to the fact that we think mesh looks better than system. That's why I think they are so defensive.

Again, this is only my perception of the issue.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Syo Emerald said:

You've got this paradox of people being very focused on not letting their avatar being changed by new trends, fashion or technology around them, but as protective as they are about their own avatar, as aggressive and displeased they are with everyone elses avatar choices.

I don't believe in change just for changes sake. If something new is a definite improvement, I embrace it.

True. it might be after months of dragging my heels, but  I just wanna be sure.

*grins*

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.