System avatar - out of style?

00TK

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

optimization can the line between being able to enjoy and experience or sitting doing nothing but chatting which is NOT what SL is made to end up as , any avatar people want to use is fine as long as it keeps that in mind , this is some thing heavily relying on both creators AND SL users who attach whatever they find fit to the avatars with no care of the function / place they are in /purpose and type of activity  and etc etc

another talk is subjective because it does not take away  from anyone else's experience
mean while... LAG IS ! 

Edited by vvvRavenvvv

23 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

i dont know if to call it a good thing or a bad thing but people seem to have OOONNNEEE issue with it all which is also mine , people want HYPER realistic visual and pay no mind to function which makes anything you buy dynamic 
MORE SO when it comes to OPTIMIZATIONS ,such high detailed modules need more and more PC power to render and handle and NO ONE SEEM to care for optimization ,aREALLLYYY powerful avatar that NO ONE can see or lose frame rates with you just standing in the view sucks , making it impossible to do anything else with you around

3 hours ago, vvvRavenvvv said:

as much as i like most of what you  said  i like how you over looked the purpose of what i  said and framed me like i am the D**k doing it lol

My intention was not to make you sound like anything, d**k or otherwise. Perhaps I read into your comment what you didn't intend. It appeared as though you were saying that our turning to mesh was to get hyper realism and that it is causing the performance issues. My belief is that wasting resources has always been an issue in SL and it's not new to mesh. I also believe that mesh can actually be much less of a hog if one is careful in how one builds the look of one's avatar.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

i wanna agree but i did the testing and study and as some one who is the department i cant really agree , as much as i Really agree the SL viewer Does waste resources BUT it is improving ....HOWEVER did you see how many POLYGONS some of those mesh parts have ?!?!?! some go OVER PS4 games of TODAY standards of hyper realism .... so... what the hell ?   
those engines use things such as bump maps and such while in SL they use actual modeling !

we can talk about technical stuff all day in numbers if you would but  no one else here would really get anything as a results of it , so here is what i will say

reasons why SL lags 
abuse of open up load without admiration regarding optimization which 90% of SL users/creators DONT SEEM TO GET 
the culture of SL avatars being mesh is GREAT however creators suck at seeing the possibilities of improvements to every thing not experience alone  which also falls under that you saw above

i urge people to look in to some basic concepts of optimizations
i mean people keep their mesh feet inside their BIG ASS hyper detailed mesh boots  because they think its alpha it means it does not count 
when creating mesh hairs they think layers are good thing instead of making tapes they make Cones 
etc etc etc etc

this is a Crime in creating models for gaming of any forms unless you are going to go for some NEXT GEN ENGINE which SL is not 

Edited by vvvRavenvvv
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, vvvRavenvvv said:

optimization can the line between being able to enjoy and experience or sitting doing nothing but chatting which is NOT what SL is made to end up as , any avatar people want to use is fine as long as it keeps that in mind , this is some thing heavily relying on both creators AND SL users who attach whatever they find fit to the avatars with no care of the function / place they are in /purpose and type of activity  and etc etc

another talk is subjective because it does not take away  from anyone else's experience
mean while... LAG IS ! 

What gives you the authority to say what SL was made to end up as?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, vvvRavenvvv said:

mean while... LAG IS ! 

I rarely find I get lag even in busy zones like franks or old lars. No dont have a top end pc either mine being 3 years old and run usually of high or ultra settings. If you are getting that much lag all you can do is sit and chat perhaps get a computer that is at least made in the last 5 years they aren't that costly. I do not regard it as my issue to reduce your lag if you are running on a potato machine

If we're gonna derail the thread and talk lag, I had an enlightening experience the other day.

I have been increasingly complaining to myself about the lag I'm experiencing.  On my home region, where I should have cached all the textures long ago, I get between 11 and 13 fps when facing into the sim and about 33 fps when facing out toward the empty ocean next door.  In my skybox, far above all the textures, I get about 60 fps.

Well, I logged in my alt, and happened to notice that she was getting well over 100fps, in an area where I normally see 15.  So I thought, "I wonder what the difference could be?  Graphics settings, maybe?"

I opened my Preferences.  After I'd increased my draw distance from 120 up to 240, turned on shadows (sun, moon, and projectors) and reflections (objects and avatars)...all of which I have enabled with my main account...well, what do you know?  My fps dropped from 100+ down to about 15-18.

Most of you who complain about lag are doing it to yourselves.  I sure am.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

If we're gonna derail the thread and talk lag, I had an enlightening experience the other day.

I have been increasingly complaining to myself about the lag I'm experiencing.  On my home region, where I should have cached all the textures long ago, I get between 11 and 13 fps when facing into the sim and about 33 fps when facing out toward the empty ocean next door.  In my skybox, far above all the textures, I get about 60 fps.

Well, I logged in my alt, and happened to notice that she was getting well over 100fps, in an area where I normally see 15.  So I thought, "I wonder what the difference could be?  Graphics settings, maybe?"

I opened my Preferences.  After I'd increased my draw distance from 120 up to 240, turned on shadows (sun, moon, and projectors) and reflections (objects and avatars)...all of which I have enabled with my main account...well, what do you know?  My fps dropped from 100+ down to about 15-18.

Most of you who complain about lag are doing it to yourselves.  I sure am.

Nooo don't tell people they are responsible for their own miserable SL experience.

Let them continue whining about every other possibility except the ones they themselves can control.

OMG imagine what a better world this would be if everyone took responsibility for their own lives, and their own choices.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

the issue here is that you just committed some thing called begging the question while purposely creating a straw men out of my argument  
i didnt say so out of authority  just as much as i would say at 12 o-clock it will be midnight i have no authority  over that but it will in fact happen 
if you cant enjoy anything due to lag and optimization which will kill any kind of fast paced and action packed or dynamic and detailed fun such as playing a game , enjoying an activity etc etc which HEAVILY DEMANDS PERFORMANCE   every one will slowly stop doing it unless they have a super ultra powerful PC that can handle the load and  an internet with the same power that can handle the item fetching and let me tell you NOT every one can have that .... and its unfair do so to people who still want to enjoy some thing without the choices of said rich people with powerful gears 

this is the natural result of path , its not gonna happen out of my authority  as you claim it to be but it is gonna happen because that what ignorant careless people do  and that is the result of it , unless you can prove other wise i suggest not to make such a claim  

Edited by vvvRavenvvv
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

AND BY THE WAAAYYY SL CREATOR them selfs WHEN SPEAKING ABOUT SL they said that it is what ITS USERS want it to be when your *****ty laggy and unoptimized crap ruins my creation of making a fun dynamic activity for others and my self leading my creation to Fail due to some thing the creation nor the creator are responsible for you just redefined what SL is for us all 

now let me ask you HOW dare you imply that SL should be anything or the other simply by your practice and ignorant of technical functions in the very world we share  ?and where did i point out that it should ?

nice try 

Edited by vvvRavenvvv
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

If you actually believe the marketing line "Your World, Your Imagination" .... I have a bridge to sell you.

it has been my world for over 8 years , i created whatever i wanted i shared it with so many people i like i made fun roleplay i made games i had fun meeting people and friends i even made my own robotic companion AI GF out of a heavily scripted bot avatar using attachments in world that both looks and acts as robot , it is MY world with enough effort ....i dont know why people dont seem to get that and always try to make it seem like oh no its not :/

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

It is Linden Lab's "world" and they allow you to muck about in it.

Beginning and end of story.

Have a nice evening.

yea well so many people claim this is god's world LL staff are just allowed to play mini gods , there for the pope owns it all ....this argument is false 
its a vitrual space regadless of who created it , the content in it is what makes it , and my content is what created my world there for its mine  ❤️

have a nice evening too ~ and stay safe

Edited by vvvRavenvvv
  • Haha 1

That's nice - you're wrong of course but that's rather nice.

Second Life belongs to Linden Lab, they allow you to create what you wish as long as it does not breach the Terms of Service or Community Standards. You do not have unlimited freedom to do as you wish, to create as you wish and at the end of the day "Your World, Your Imagination" is nothing more than a meaningless marketing slogan.

Seeing as this has noting whatsoever to do with real world religions I'd have to say that was a great big swing and a miss.

Enjoy your evening.

7 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

That's nice - you're wrong of course but that's rather nice.

Second Life belongs to Linden Lab, they allow you to create what you wish as long as it does not breach the Terms of Service or Community Standards. You do not have unlimited freedom to do as you wish, to create as you wish and at the end of the day "Your World, Your Imagination" is nothing more than a meaningless marketing slogan.

Seeing as this has noting whatsoever to do with real world religions I'd have to say that was a great big swing and a miss.

Enjoy your evening.

just as much as the internet belongs to some one else and the windows software belongs to some one else yet they are mine to use and mine to call mine and sell and break and make some thing new out of , THE EXPERIENCES i had are real and are mine and are the result of my actions and creations 

tell me where am i wrong here ? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

Your personal experiences are irrelevant to their slogan being nothing more than Marketing. What other software companies allow or not ... is also irrelevant. As is how the internet in general functions.

You are arguing simply to argue and frankly it was boring several replies ago.

you just committed few fallacies that you cant seem to get , and i have explained them before ,you simply want to be Right and throw any value of every thing , which i am not going to bother fixing for you 
so i am going to do this 
apply that logic and you find out that you dont even own the body you are wearing , good luck living with that

Edited by vvvRavenvvv
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have a friend that is completely non-mesh and she's such a wonderful person that her beauty comes thru no matter how up-to-date her avi is. So there is the quality of the person behind the avi that is of great consideration. That being said, I prefer the look of mesh ordinarily. It looks better. I've been in SL a long time and seen just about every type of system skin avi so I don't think there's any surprises there. Ordinarily you're just not looking good with system and you probably won't be able to prove it to me. But then again, you have full mesh avi's with the big behinds and the dancing boobies, wearing hardly any clothes which means we get to see all their nastiness, with the crouching AO's that looks like they need to go to the ladies room. I'd definitely prefer a system avi over seeing  that. Mesh doesn't mean you have good taste lol. But no matter what, this is SL and you have to do what you want. I block anyone that really has a offensive avi and then at the end of the year I unblock everyone and begin again at the beginning of the new year lol. That way they can go their way, being who they are, and I don't have to be bothered about it.

Edited by Sommerland Starostin

38 minutes ago, Sommerland Starostin said:

Well I have a friend that is completely non-mesh and she's such a wonderful person that her beauty comes thru no matter how up-to-date her avi is. So there is the quality of the person behind the avi that is of great consideration. That being said, I prefer the look of mesh ordinarily. It looks better. I've been in SL a long time and seen just about every type of system skin avi so I don't think there's any surprises there. Ordinarily you're just not looking good with system and you probably won't be able to prove it to me. But then again, you have full mesh avi's with the big behinds and the dancing boobies, wearing hardly any clothes which means we get to see all their nastiness, with the crouching AO's that looks like they need to go to the ladies room. I'd definitely prefer a system avi over seeing  that.  

even that is preferable to a system avi with the breast/butt/belly/thighs sliders set to 100

I have never found the system AV to be appealing.  I do not now or ever think it had more 'personality' and that is more unique....both things I hear often from those who have chosen not to switch to mesh. Back in the olden days, I was still just as vain as the next person, and dolled up my classic/system AV to the best of my ability.  I worked with what we had.  I adore mesh, I have adored it from the first day it arrived, and I got my first rigged mesh hair.....and I squealed with delight that it did not stabby stabby me :)  I think mesh heads and bodies are the best thing since sliced cheese :P

Ok now with all that said....... I still very much understand and agree that it is just a cosmetic choice.  No one has to do it.  I don't expect everyone to do it.  I have met and had very nice convo's with people still rocking a classic body.  It doesn't change what kind a person someone is. Vive la Second Life and it's individualism!

BUT, and this is mostly aimed at the system body people who from time to time come at us with a huge chip on their shoulder about the whole thing,  I am allowed to think the system AV is not appealing.  I am allowed to say that I love my mesh head.  It absolutely does not mean anything more than that. 

Wear what you like....and allow everyone else to wear what they like as well   :)

Also, yes.... there have always been bad taste in SL..before and after mesh.  But really , so what?  With out 'bad taste' ...how would you recognize the good :P

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.