How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Some folks only give likes for what they see as truly awesome photos. Others tend to definitely like their friends' pics or the regulars' pics just because, but many of those also do try to give likes to other stuff as well, especially anyone new.  Others, like me, tend to like almost every photo, just to show support - though lately I admit that I keep falling behind in the forums and thus I know I miss tons of pictures. 

You will find the same mix of actions in pretty much any thread of any forum.

So true! I tend to give likes to what I find Interesting, or what catches my eye! Or of what I find pretty! Or I just end up showing my support to them, I honestly don't post all that much atm but I be anti social like heck lol... but no one should be afraid to post there pictures 😍 I enjoy everyone's lol

Edited by MayaSkyrose
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, MayaSkyrose said:

it wasn't fun trying to get this shot done LOL dang dances haha

If the problem was trying to catch the dance animation at the right moment, remember that you can -- in FS anyway -- slow down animations in the Developer menu > Avatar > Animation Speed (or something like that . . . I've forgotten the exact name of the final menu choice).

Not sure if you can do that in other viewers, though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Others, like me, tend to like almost every photo, just to show support

This!

I try to think of every "like" as essentially a "Thank you for sharing!"

I really enjoy all the pics here, and particularly love seeing new people take the leap. It can be intimidating to share here (I speak from experience), but I can't think of a single instance in my time posting here where I've seen anyone given less than a warm welcome for their contributions.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Justine Tarber said:

I used to log in just to see the diversity  and enjoy the different looks on here. However for a little while I have noticed a difference in the thread.

its very noticeable to the sometime looker on how biased the likes are to certain people which is sort of putting off if a first time poster was thinking of uploading.

They usually would get maybe 'nice' and welcome but really a proportion of the 'likes' when sometimes to my totally uneducated opinion they are not really in proportion to the quality of the pics are out of line. 

Post processing is something else too, am guessing some people don't have the funds to have PS or alternatives so it's not really a level playing field.

There are many reasons a person may or may not want to 'like' a photo. People posting for the first time is generally reason enough for most of us, I think, to show some support and gratitude. Some people react very seldomly if at all, some react to everything, and some are just selective. I don't give people more than one like in two or more threads if they plaster the same picture in several different places - an old picture re-posted to respond to a relevant topic is fine, but there's been times people post the same picture in this thread, the vanity thread, and in whichever thread in the photography boards that seems most popular or relevant.

Then there's personal bias. There are people with whom one might have bad history and refuse to acknowledge, there may be people who've so obviously been biased against oneself, that one feels reluctant to show them any support, or the case may just be that one has a pet peeve against certain types of content that one just skips over. There are also people who have a lot of followers on the forum who peek in to the thread only to look at their content rather than the whole thread.

I'm not here for reactions, even if I enjoy getting them it isn't my goal to rack up as many as possible; I enjoy the photographic process, I enjoy editing, I enjoy dressing up and styling my avatars, I enjoy making poses for them and finding means of conveying messages - sharing the results of my hobby is more about participating in the community than seeking approval. How dull I would find things if everyone condoned of all my ideas and my expression. But really, making the picture is my hobby, sharing it and getting likes or faves is secondary - there's tons of material that doesn't make it to the forums or to my Flickr. Besides, I know that a lot of people like to be in SL to be on sunny beaches and having fun and seeing pretty things - I like things dark, macabre, twisted and sometimes things that according to the social norm might be explicitly offensive; cannibalism, necrophilia, coulrophilia - all things fun.

As for post processing, I use Gimp. It does 99% of the things PS does, for free, and with a better (in my opinion) UI. Only times I wish I had PS is when I see a tutorial for a cool effect and can't be bothered to figure out how to translate it into Gimp tools - but quite frequently, I can figure it out if I just sit down and look closer at it.

Anyway, that's much too much text for this thread, and since I'm too busy packing, I'll just drop an old one:

Vengeful Valentine

• Like 23

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Beautiful use of light, Victoria! I've been meaning to say how much I like your pics, especially the lighting! And the glamour, of course.

Also, with others, the hair! What is that hair????

Thanks

The hair is called Yura, from Argrace. It doesn't seem to be on their MP page and they have since changed/moved their store since I got it, it's not there either.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, VictoriaGrwd said:

Thanks

The hair is called Yura, from Argrace. It doesn't seem to be on their MP page and they have since changed/moved their store since I got it, it's not there either.

Well, it's gorgeous! I have a few styles from Argrace, at least one of which I wear reasonably often. As I recall, they have very little actually featured on their MP page. I should check out the in-world store.

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, it's gorgeous! I have a few styles from Argrace, at least one of which I wear reasonably often. As I recall, they have very little actually featured on their MP page. I should check out the in-world store.

I went there seems to be hardly anything there at all.

Edited by VictoriaGrwd
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Klaineanderson said:

The head looks good! If I had the extra 150Ls I'd join the group and get it I so want a new head!! Is the head omega? Though.. being bento and all it should have omega too lol..

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

If the problem was trying to catch the dance animation at the right moment, remember that you can -- in FS anyway -- slow down animations in the Developer menu > Avatar > Animation Speed (or something like that . . . I've forgotten the exact name of the final menu choice).

Not sure if you can do that in other viewers, though.

I didn't know that to be honest LOL I use firestorm all the time i thought about using BD viewer ( blackdragon ) but ugh it's complicated! But I'm so going to look for that tonight because it was heck trying to get the picture done in the right angle xD

4 minutes ago, MayaSkyrose said:

I didn't know that to be honest LOL I use firestorm all the time i thought about using BD viewer ( blackdragon ) but ugh it's complicated! But I'm so going to look for that tonight because it was heck trying to get the picture done in the right angle xD

Great! It can be a really useful feature, especially if you're trying to catch a particular moment in an animation while suffering from lag.

If you don't have the Developer Menu already open, I think you can show it by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Q

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Justine Tarber said:

I used to log in just to see the diversity  and enjoy the different looks on here. However for a little while I have noticed a difference in the thread.

its very noticeable to the sometime looker on how biased the likes are to certain people which is sort of putting off if a first time poster was thinking of uploading.

They usually would get maybe 'nice' and welcome but really a proportion of the 'likes' when sometimes to my totally uneducated opinion they are not really in proportion to the quality of the pics are out of line. 

Post processing is something else too, am guessing some people don't have the funds to have PS or alternatives so it's not really a level playing field. 

Anyway it's just an opinion we all have one. Just an observation.

I knew when Justine posted this, that some of us would be responding. I certainly agree with @BelindaN@Nalates Urriah, @Skell Dagger, @Rhonda Huntress @Orwar @LittleMe Jewell@MayaSkyrose comments,  I’d like to add; 

I have been through this ENTIRE thread recently, and speaking for myself, many of us bend over backwards to welcome and “like” mosts posts as @Scylla Rhiadra mentioned as a way to be appreciative and supportive of their efforts to post and regardless of quality and that is  ESPECIALLY TRUE for NEWBIE POSTERS!  My guess is that Justine won’t ever read any of this... kind of like a sniper... watches from afar... takes a shot... never to return to the scene. And we are left justifying our thread to someone who never posts, doesn’t know this thread and has a history being negative with their total of 4 posts Throughout the forum. Too much energy already expended 🤯

IMHO 

Edited by Saravendi
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Justine Tarber said:

It's not a game. Taking photos is fun. Some are better then others, and if someone needs to know how to make  great photos, they can ask on the forum, or maybe a PM. I think everybody loves to help. 

And P.S., if you don't mind you have the very very best photos, you can also use online programs to (maybe) get a better result. 

If I want to sharpen my photos, I use Image-Editor,  want more soft-focus (or little blur) use SoftFocus

Color effects? Pictonize.

And there are many others. 

Edited by AidySL
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Saravendi said:

I knew when Justine posted this, that some of us would get offended. I certainly am, and I certainly agree with @BelindaN@Nalates Urriah, @Skell Dagger, @Rhonda Huntress @Orwar @LittleMe Jewell@MayaSkyrose Assessment I’d like to add; 

I have been through this ENTIRE thread recently, and speaking for myself, many of us bend over backwards to welcome and “like” mosts posts as @Scylla Rhiadra mentioned as a way to be appreciative and supportive of their efforts to post and regardless of quality and that is  ESPECIALLY TRUE for NEWBIE POSTERS! Justine hasn’t replied to any of it because their comments are a reflection of their own insecurities and personal rl issues. And my guess is that Justine won’t ever read any of this... kind of like a sniper... watches from afar... takes a shot... never to return to the scene. And we are left justifying our thread to someone who never posts, doesn’t know this thread and has a history being negative with their total of 4 posts Throughout the forum. Too much energy already expended 🤯

IMHO 

I wasn't offended, but Justines post did reflect a lack of understanding and appreciation of the environment here.

Clearly it can be intimidating to walk into this virtual room of photographers, and we've all stood at the door and peered over the threshold, but an insecurity in relation to posting an image doesn't sit well with a text wall of what some might see as essentially negative feedback.

I hope we hear from Justine again and I hope it includes an image or two, but somehow, I think that Sarah might have nailed it.

Only time will tell...…….

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1