How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

I used to log in just to see the diversity  and enjoy the different looks on here. However for a little while I have noticed a difference in the thread.

its very noticeable to the sometime looker on how biased the likes are to certain people which is sort of putting off if a first time poster was thinking of uploading.

They usually would get maybe 'nice' and welcome but really a proportion of the 'likes' when sometimes to my totally uneducated opinion they are not really in proportion to the quality of the pics are out of line. 

Post processing is something else too, am guessing some people don't have the funds to have PS or alternatives so it's not really a level playing field. 

Anyway it's just an opinion we all have one. Just an observation.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It's been an interesting week so far. My first plane ride a couple of days ago, then tonight I was taken for the first time on a motorcycle...…….don't let on to Belinda though, she wouldn't approve.……...but what she doesn't know won't hurt her...……………...

The first image I was just messing with windlight and got this...…..I liked the yellow background...…...

It was difficult getting pictures while we were moving fast, and there are one or two minor rezz failures if you look close enough, but overall I think these turned out well! 9_9

SL37.png

SL42.png

SL33.png

SL32.png

• Like 24

4 minutes ago, Justine Tarber said:

am guessing some people don't have the funds to have PS or alternatives so it's not really a level playing field. 

The Gimp is free and well supported if you want to do post processing.  Personally I don't use anything more sophisticated than Microsoft Photos.  However I will say having a powerful graphics card with a 4K monitor is not playing on an even field either.

No one is building a professional portfolio here.  It is all intended to be fun.  Put as much time and effort in your shots as you want.  If it stops being fun, stop doing it.

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, Justine Tarber said:

Post processing is something else too, am guessing some people don't have the funds to have PS or alternatives so it's not really a level playing field. 

Gimp: https://www.gimp.org/
Pixlr: https://pixlr.com/
Photoscape: http://www.photoscape.org/
Paint.net: https://www.getpaint.net/index.html

All free.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

16 minutes ago, Justine Tarber said:

I used to log in just to see the diversity  and enjoy the different looks on here. However for a little while I have noticed a difference in the thread.

its very noticeable to the sometime looker on how biased the likes are to certain people which is sort of putting off if a first time poster was thinking of uploading.

They usually would get maybe 'nice' and welcome but really a proportion of the 'likes' when sometimes to my totally uneducated opinion they are not really in proportion to the quality of the pics are out of line. 

Please don't let any of those perceptions put you off. We were all new here once, and this is the most friendly and inclusive place I know in SL. Nobody is judging what you do, it's not for that, as Rhonda just said, we are here to have fun, that's all. Whatever your level you'll be made welcome, and you can learn an awful lot from everyone here if you want to improve.

I only started using Windlight in January, and apart from an occasional crop, and using a generic format from my laptop, I don't photo-edit. Although now Skell has spilled the beans on the free ones, that might change.

• Like 8

It's a picture kind of day, sooo adding to it with my trademark no frills. Just to keep things balanced and to say, hey, it's ok to just use firestorm snapshot filters, or none at all. I like seeing all styles here. "How does your avatar look today?" Is still the thread :)

Mine... is going to stay close to the shadows because she's been up all night

killaryshot_003.png

• Like 27

1 hour ago, Justine Tarber said:

Are you basing your opinion on anything more than your imagination?

I haven't done a count of images I might consider diverse... Nor am I sure how I would time-frame such a count... Nor am I even sure of what you consider as diverse... Or how one can decide that 'diversity' is decreasing here... and how DOES one go about determining what intimidates or not those people seeing the thread for the first time? Has someone taken a systematic, objective survey I haven't heard of? Who studies that sort of thing?

My opinion is we are as diverse as ever. Some weeks furries post in the thread. Furries aren't my thing. But, there are cute furries that photograph very well and some of the images are as polished as any of the human-avatar images. Maybe not this week but then probably next week... which none of us can predict. Are furries a diversity-factor?

I can predict that some number of new (to this thread) people unfamiliar with image editing will get  interested in image editing and the nature of their images will change. Others will improve their SL Viewer and Windlight skills and take better images, some of which are better than my PS enhanced images. As with anything, practice improves one 's skill.

This thread started May 5, 2017... turning two years old YESTERDAY. Wow, thank you @Nostoll. Did you have any idea you would start a thread that would run 750+ pages?

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

Oh, thanks, @Skell Dagger

I've played with GIMP and Paint.net and Windows 10's Paint & Paint 3D. The free editors are way more adequate and feature rich than most hobbyists will need. Image editing is not restricted to those of us that subscribe to current PS versions or own an old Photoshop version.

Retail Photoshop is for those that have a 'commercial', or 'production' need for image editing. I've been spending time painting helicopters... PS makes painting the model much easier. Firestorm allowing use of LOCAL textures (those not needing to be uploaded to use) makes this process WAY easier and faster. The free image editors don't have the same tools won't matter to most.

EC135-Red_002.thumb.jpg.9a238a7422ab7dfbc9f46a84b0d800ba.jpg

That is a snake wrapped around my neck... 🤭

• Like 15

4 hours ago, Justine Tarber said:

My two cents, I rarely use paint.net or any photo editing software for my shots here and when I first started posted here I was still fairly new to forums and since I met maybe two; edit three from forum but @Orwar I had already met because he met me hosting so knew me before I posted here but I admit I was dork and didn't twig right away - sorry again Orwar!

Plus I think likes have a lot to do with that person's taste as each to their own; is no right or wrong picture to like as you like ones you like and I may like different ones!  :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Justine Tarber said:

Some folks only give likes for what they see as truly awesome photos. Others tend to definitely like their friends' pics or the regulars' pics just because, but many of those also do try to give likes to other stuff as well, especially anyone new.  Others, like me, tend to like almost every photo, just to show support - though lately I admit that I keep falling behind in the forums and thus I know I miss tons of pictures. 

You will find the same mix of actions in pretty much any thread of any forum.

• Like 11