How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Wow. That's intimidating! There are some serious excellent pics in this collection!

Thank you! You and @Saravendi are wonderfully sweet: you've made my morning!

If I've progressed at all beyond point-and-click, though, it's entirely because of the guidance and example of everyone posting here. I truly had no idea of what I was doing before I started following this thread. It's a pretty terrific little community, isn't it?

Maybe it takes a village to make a photo?

You're welcome! No, it really doesn't take a political speech writer's silly quotes to take good VR photos. Just an eye for detail, your own talent, a dash of creativity, thinking about what you're doing, reading how others do things (or bugging the heck out of Google until it finally coughs up some hints and clues in my instance) and practice, practice, practice :)

• Like 3

Everyone in this thread has improved tremendously since they started posting. I found myself improving when I stopped comparing my pics to everyone else's and compared them to my own instead. So many of the stunning pictures on Flickr are so heavily painted that they can't be done with in-world projectors, gadgets, gizmos, etc. I was spinning my wheels trying. So I flipped it and focused on the things I could do, the things I like to do and what I could make the windlight and viewer do. I'm much happier with my efforts this way.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Back to being me later today. This is my most natural look.......messy hair, roots showing........but something about this look.

Hair is Mina Mena; Dress is a Christmas Present taken from my Wishlist!!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxx; and is ISON Maven. It looks even better on than in the MP pics; Shoes are Essenz Salvador.

I perfected sunglasses in my hair today. It doesn't always work, but this looks pretty good. They are ISON Quintons.

The close up also shows how good the Genus neck join has now become. Hardly noticeable.

Secondlife04.jpg

Secondlife05.jpg

• Like 19

@BelindaN Absolutely gorgeous outfit!

I bought the Genus head (Classic) but really didn't like it. Wasn't too impressed with the on again/off again release dates I kept hearing/reading about. Then they decided to charge L$400-500 more than the most expensive head on the market. Not off to a great start in my mind.

But decided to shake of doubts and try it anyway recently (full price).

Then checked it for complexity (as I do) once I had it on. What a shock. It was - wait for it - 59k - wearing exactly the same clothes, hair and boots I was wearing with my LeLutka head, which was just 29k in total by comparison.

That's a whopping - and dare I say, 'unnecessary'? - 30k of extra complexity for a bento head - particularly if you're trying your best not to contribute to lag with a lot of superfluous junk.

In fact the only thing I liked about Genus was their facial animations - only ones I've comes across that seem genuinely subtle, realistic and not embarrassingly exaggerated, goofy-looking or clown-ish, which is why I don't use animations - because they tend to be so...yuck - but the Genus ones seem well done.

Anyway, long story short - the Genus head has gone into a dim dark cupboard to collect dust and be forgotten, I'm sorry to say.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, AnyaJurelle said:

@BelindaN Absolutely gorgeous outfit!

I bought the Genus head (Classic) but really didn't like it. Wasn't too impressed with the on again/off again release dates I kept hearing/reading about. Then they decided to charge L$400-500 more than the most expensive head on the market. Not off to a great start in my mind.

But decided to shake of doubts and try it anyway recently (full price).

Then checked it for complexity (as I do) once I had it on. What a shock. It was - wait for it - 59k - wearing exactly the same clothes, hair and boots I was wearing with my LeLutka head, which was just 29k in total by comparison.

That's a whopping - and dare I say, 'unnecessary'? - 30k of extra complexity for a bento head - particularly if you're trying your best not to contribute to lag with a lot of superfluous junk.

In fact the only thing I liked about Genus was their facial animations - only ones I've comes across that seem genuinely subtle, realistic and not embarrassingly exaggerated, goofy-looking or clown-ish, which is why I don't use animations - because they tend to be so...yuck - but the Genus ones seem well done.

Anyway, long story short - the Genus head has gone into a dim dark cupboard to collect dust and be forgotten, I'm sorry to say.

Yeah I know the head is complex and I recall reading that the full release won't be as bad. But I'm just in love with the look. There's no way I can give it up. Maybe when I do more demos with my Alt,  things will change, but for me, this is just the look I was after!!

• Like 3

Just now, BelindaN said:

Yeah I know the head is complex and I recall reading that the full release won't be as bad. But I'm just in love with the look. There's no way I can give it up. Maybe when I do more demos with my Alt,  things will change, but for me, this is just the look I was after!!

Gotta go with what works for ya! :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AnyaJurelle said:

Wow. I didn't know that.

I got the Genus beta because, frankly, it was cheaper, and it was being much praised. Overall, I am pretty happy with it, although there are things about it I don't like.

At this point, however, the very idea of dropping probably another L$7000, and expending hours and hours and hours getting it to where I want it, just makes me want to weep.

Maybe in the future I'll be stronger, but for now anyway the Genus works for me.

• Like 2

@Scylla Rhiadra Hearin' ya! I don't even want to know what I've spent on heads and skins, but when I look at it as kind of a 'hobby', it (almost) doesn't seem so bad. Or so I tell myself. Am still on the hunt for 'my look' - very happy with LAQ in general, so now it's mostly a matter of skin (still don't want to know what I've spent so far just on skins for that).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AnyaJurelle said:

I mentioned that back in August, the demos don't let me demo what I want to demo and the store reminds me of another constant beta project.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Wow. That's intimidating! There are some serious excellent pics in this collection!

Thank you! You and @Saravendi are wonderfully sweet: you've made my morning!

If I've progressed at all beyond point-and-click, though, it's entirely because of the guidance and example of everyone posting here. I truly had no idea of what I was doing before I started following this thread. It's a pretty terrific little community, isn't it?

Maybe it takes a village to make a photo?

This is an amazing place to be and a lovely community on many levels. Its so good to see how everybody is evolving together and how the quality of the images continues to improve. And being able to meet up and make group images really is the icing on the cake. :)

Without this forum, how might we have ever met? Not very likely.......

/me sitting here feeling good. Like after a large helping of choc fridge cake........

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

I mentioned that back in August, the demos don't let me demo what I want to demo and the store reminds me of another constant beta project.

Unfortunately, I don't think I was even all that aware of Genus in August (seems like 100 years ago!) and only bought the head a week or two ago. It seems so needlessly frustrating really, doesn't it?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AnyaJurelle said:

That's a whopping - and dare I say, 'unnecessary'? - 30k of extra complexity for a bento head 

So... you haven't tried the Wet skin look, or the Wrinkled skin look or. Glam skin look.. I dunno... the neato stuff all the other heads don't have (yet) that make the Genus the big thing right now? Surely some of the other heads will add those kinds of features (that are not appliers on makeup layers) and they'll jump a couple grand in RC, too.

5 hours ago, Clover Jinx said:

I found myself improving when I stopped comparing my pics to everyone else's and compared them to my own instead. So many of the stunning pictures on Flickr are so heavily painted that they can't be done with in-world projectors, gadgets, gizmos, etc. 

It can be so easy to get intimidated and discouraged thinking I can't do what they do. But then I stop and realize that isn't even what I want to be doing anyway, and it is quite possible that they can't do what I do anyway. That they need all that post processing to make a decent image.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, BelindaN said:

I would really like to get a wedding dress outfit.....am I odd??? I don't want to get married here, but the urge isn't going away for the dress........

Oh but SL weddings are so much fun, and all the forum angels want to be bridesmaids.

• Like 5